|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Nick been married?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) Ten years.
(c) He has not yet married.
(d) Two weeks.
2. What is the old couple's condition after the accident?
(a) They have multiple injuries.
(b) They are not injured other than scrapes and bruises.
(c) They are incredibly angry at the hospital and doctors.
(d) Their individual blood pressure readings skyrocket simultaneously.
3. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
4. How long does Terri's ex-boyfriend live after his final suicide attempt?
(a) Three days.
(b) Four years.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) He died instantly.
5. Who is married to Nick?
6. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
(a) He loses his job.
(b) He can no longer take part in extramarital affairs.
(c) He is unable to see his wife.
(d) He is thinking about living the rest of his life as an invalid.
7. What is the beverage of choice throughout the duration of the conversation?
(b) Gin and tonic.
(d) Rum and Coke.
8. Why is Mel hesitant to call?
(a) He doesn't want his current wife to feel left out.
(b) He doesn't want them to know he is drunk.
(c) He does not want to talk to his ex-wife.
(d) They haven't heard from him in several years.
9. Who threatens to kill Mel?
10. What time of day does the story take place?
(c) Late night.
(d) Late afternoon.
11. Which of the following does Mel wonder about new love?
(a) Where it goes.
(b) Who really believes it will last.
(c) What chemical imbalance causes it to happen.
(d) Why it feels so comforting.
12. What does Mel suggest after the story is interrupted?
(a) That everyone go home to bed.
(b) That everyone have a drink and go to dinner.
(c) That they stop drinking for awhile.
(d) That everyone pitch in to help cook dinner.
13. Who is the first one to turn on a light?
(c) No one.
14. What is the old couple's prognosis?
(a) They will be fine after recovering.
(b) Good, if they get divorced.
(c) They die soon after the accident.
(d) They will have to live at an assisted living facility the rest of their lives.
15. Why is the story of the old couple told?
(a) To describe how vulnerable people become as they age.
(b) To show how love does not outlast everything.
(c) To give an example of true love.
(d) To demonstrate the difference between male and female views of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
2. Which character claims that no one really knows about love, because "everyone is really just a beginner"?
3. Mel claims he loved:
4. What is the main topic of the couples' conversation?
5. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)