|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mel hope his ex-wife will get injured?
(a) So he can come see her in the hospital.
(b) So he can have an excuse to call his children.
(c) So he can come and save her.
(d) So she will die.
2. Who is the narrator?
3. Terri recalls a period of her life during which she lived like a:
4. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
(a) Abridged; unhappy.
(b) Short; married.
(c) Descriptive; mild-mannered.
(d) Non-fiction; divorcing.
5. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
(d) Himself (Mel).
6. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend attempt suicide the first time?
(a) Overdosing on psychiatric medication.
(b) Drinking rat poison.
(c) Cutting his wrists.
(d) Hanging himself.
7. Who does Terri say she loved to the point of distraction?
8. What hits the old couple's car?
(a) A falling tree limb.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A deer.
(d) A car.
9. What does Nick notice after the story is over?
(a) The sun is rising.
(b) The narrator has his arm around someone else's wife.
(c) The afternoon light is waning.
(d) Everyone is crying.
10. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
(a) She would help him commit crimes.
(b) Her boyfriend beat her.
(c) They gave away their children.
(d) They never lived together.
11. How is the temperature of the area the group is sitting in described?
12. Who is married to Nick?
13. What is Mel's profession?
(c) Marriage counselor.
14. What is Terri's ex-boyfriend's name?
15. What reason does Terri give for her ex-boyfriend trying to kill her?
(a) He was having hallucinations.
(b) Terri tried to kill him first.
(c) He fell in love with someone else.
(d) He loved her so much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
2. Who does Mel say he would go after if his wife died?
3. How long does Terri's ex-boyfriend live after his final suicide attempt?
4. Who is distracted from his story about love by having another drink?
5. What reason does the character give for asking for something to eat before dinner?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)