|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nick notice after the story is over?
(a) Everyone is crying.
(b) The sun is rising.
(c) The narrator has his arm around someone else's wife.
(d) The afternoon light is waning.
2. How does the old couple appear in the hospital?
(a) They are unresponsive.
(b) They appear to hate each other.
(c) They are encased in body casts.
(d) They appear overly happy and excited.
3. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
4. What does Terri say she will bring out for everyone to nibble on?
(b) Cheese and crackers.
(c) Homemade cookies.
5. Who says they know what love really is and has an example to share?
6. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
(b) Wedding planner.
7. Who claims that abusive behavior is not love?
8. What does Mel's wife hope will happen to his ex-wife?
(a) She will fall in love with Mel all over again.
(b) She will move to another country.
(c) She will pay him back alimony and child support.
(d) She will remarry or die.
9. Who turns on a light in the room?
(b) No one.
10. What is Mel's profession?
(b) Marriage counselor.
11. How long does Terri's ex-boyfriend live after his final suicide attempt?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three days.
(c) He died instantly.
(d) Five minutes.
12. Which character contends that abusive behavior is, in fact, love?
13. Terri teases the other couple for acting as if:
(a) They are on their honeymoon.
(b) They aren't drunk.
(c) They don't like each other much.
(d) They have been together for ten years.
14. What happens at the end of the story?
(a) The sun sets.
(b) Everyone starts crying.
(c) Everyone goes home.
(d) The sun rises.
15. Why does Mel say he would have liked to have been born in medieval times?
(a) So he could have had a shorter lifespan.
(b) So he could have worn armor.
(c) So he could have cooked better food for "the masses."
(d) So he could have courted a woman more properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the depression revealed?
2. Where does the story take place?
3. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
4. Who bumps Nick's knee under the table?
5. What is the geographic setting for the story?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)