|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
(d) Wedding planner.
2. What is the main topic of the couples' conversation?
(a) The difference between marriage and cohabitation.
(b) The unrealistic hope of everlasting love.
(c) The ups and downs of married life.
(d) The meaning of real love.
3. How is the depression revealed?
(a) Hospital staff find a letter.
(b) Mel makes a guess.
(c) Mel discovers it in a dream.
(d) The old man tells someone.
4. Why is the story of the old couple told?
(a) To show how love does not outlast everything.
(b) To give an example of true love.
(c) To describe how vulnerable people become as they age.
(d) To demonstrate the difference between male and female views of love.
5. How old is Laura?
6. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
(a) Have a drink.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Take medication.
(d) Call his parents.
7. Terri teases the other couple for acting as if:
(a) They have been together for ten years.
(b) They are on their honeymoon.
(c) They don't like each other much.
(d) They aren't drunk.
8. Who says they know what love really is and has an example to share?
9. What is the old couple's condition after the accident?
(a) They are incredibly angry at the hospital and doctors.
(b) They have multiple injuries.
(c) Their individual blood pressure readings skyrocket simultaneously.
(d) They are not injured other than scrapes and bruises.
10. What can the narrator hear near the end of the story?
(a) A childhood song.
(b) A fire burning.
(c) Wine being poured.
(d) Everyone's heartbeats.
11. Who is distracted from his story about love by having another drink?
12. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
(a) Short; married.
(b) Abridged; unhappy.
(c) Descriptive; mild-mannered.
(d) Non-fiction; divorcing.
13. Which character contends that abusive behavior is, in fact, love?
14. Who threatens to kill Mel?
15. Where is Mel when Terri's ex-boyfriend is brought to the hospital?
(b) At the restaurant.
(c) At his home with Terri.
(d) At the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
2. How long has Nick been married?
3. What is Mel's ex-wife's name?
4. What hits the old couple's car?
5. Whose glass is overturned on the table at the end of the story?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)