|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says they know what love really is and has an example to share?
2. How is the depression revealed?
(a) Mel makes a guess.
(b) The old man tells someone.
(c) Mel discovers it in a dream.
(d) Hospital staff find a letter.
3. What is the old couple's condition after the accident?
(a) They have multiple injuries.
(b) They are not injured other than scrapes and bruises.
(c) Their individual blood pressure readings skyrocket simultaneously.
(d) They are incredibly angry at the hospital and doctors.
4. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend eventually kill himself?
(a) He shoots himself in the head.
(b) He stabs himself in Mel's kitchen.
(c) He stops eating.
(d) He runs his car over a bridge.
5. What hits the old couple's car?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A car.
(c) A falling tree limb.
(d) A deer.
6. How long has Nick been married?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) He has not yet married.
(d) Ten years.
7. Who bumps Nick's knee under the table?
8. What time of day does the car accident occur?
(a) Early morning.
(b) It is unclear.
9. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
(a) Abridged; unhappy.
(b) Short; married.
(c) Descriptive; mild-mannered.
(d) Non-fiction; divorcing.
10. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
11. Which of the following does Mel wonder about new love?
(a) Who really believes it will last.
(b) Where it goes.
(c) What chemical imbalance causes it to happen.
(d) Why it feels so comforting.
12. Terri teases the other couple for acting as if:
(a) They are on their honeymoon.
(b) They aren't drunk.
(c) They have been together for ten years.
(d) They don't like each other much.
13. Where do the old couple move to?
(a) They are immediately discharged from the hospital.
(b) The pediatric ward.
(c) Regular hospital rooms.
(d) The morgue.
14. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
15. Where are the characters sitting for the duration of the story?
(a) In chairs.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On a windowsill.
(d) On a bench.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that Terri's ex-boyfriend is so inept that he can't even kill himself properly?
2. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
3. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
4. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
5. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)