|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
2. Why does Terri chastise Mel?
(a) For acting childish.
(b) For being insensitive and drinking too much.
(c) For showing her too much physical affection.
(d) For insulting others in the conversation.
3. What happens to the teenager after the accident?
(a) The teenager dies.
(b) The teenager suffers multiple brain injuries.
(c) The doctors are not sure.
(d) The teenager is bruised but not as badly injured as the older couple.
4. Why does Mel say he would have liked to have been born in medieval times?
(a) So he could have courted a woman more properly.
(b) So he could have cooked better food for "the masses."
(c) So he could have had a shorter lifespan.
(d) So he could have worn armor.
5. Who is the first one to turn on a light?
(b) No one.
6. In addition to the beverages, what else is passed around during the conversation?
(a) A guitar.
(b) A photo album.
(c) An ice bucket.
(d) A journal.
7. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
(c) Wedding planner.
8. What is the relationship between Terri and Nick?
9. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend eventually kill himself?
(a) He shoots himself in the head.
(b) He stabs himself in Mel's kitchen.
(c) He stops eating.
(d) He runs his car over a bridge.
10. Who tells the story of the old couple?
11. What is the main topic of the couples' conversation?
(a) The unrealistic hope of everlasting love.
(b) The difference between marriage and cohabitation.
(c) The meaning of real love.
(d) The ups and downs of married life.
12. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
(a) Descriptive; mild-mannered.
(b) Non-fiction; divorcing.
(c) Abridged; unhappy.
(d) Short; married.
13. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
(a) No one speaks.
(b) The wine bottle crashes to the floor.
(c) One of the couples decides to get a divorce.
(d) The fire alarm goes off.
14. Where are the characters sitting for the duration of the story?
(a) On the floor.
(b) On a bench.
(c) In chairs.
(d) On a windowsill.
15. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character claims that no one really knows about love, because "everyone is really just a beginner"?
2. What does Terri say she will bring out for everyone to nibble on?
3. Who bumps Nick's knee under the table?
4. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
5. Who ends up going to get the snacks?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)