|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mel say he would have liked to have been born in medieval times?
(a) So he could have courted a woman more properly.
(b) So he could have worn armor.
(c) So he could have cooked better food for "the masses."
(d) So he could have had a shorter lifespan.
2. Who threatens to kill Mel?
3. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
(a) Descriptive; mild-mannered.
(b) Non-fiction; divorcing.
(c) Abridged; unhappy.
(d) Short; married.
4. What hits the old couple's car?
(a) A car.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A deer.
(d) A falling tree limb.
5. What does Terri say she will bring out for everyone to nibble on?
(b) Cheese and crackers.
(c) Homemade cookies.
6. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
(a) He is unable to see his wife.
(b) He can no longer take part in extramarital affairs.
(c) He loses his job.
(d) He is thinking about living the rest of his life as an invalid.
7. Why is the story of the old couple told?
(a) To give an example of true love.
(b) To show how love does not outlast everything.
(c) To demonstrate the difference between male and female views of love.
(d) To describe how vulnerable people become as they age.
8. What is Terri's ex-boyfriend's name?
9. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend eventually kill himself?
(a) He stops eating.
(b) He runs his car over a bridge.
(c) He shoots himself in the head.
(d) He stabs himself in Mel's kitchen.
10. Whose glass is overturned on the table at the end of the story?
11. Which of the following does Mel wonder about new love?
(a) Where it goes.
(b) Why it feels so comforting.
(c) What chemical imbalance causes it to happen.
(d) Who really believes it will last.
12. Who claims that abusive behavior is not love?
13. Who is distracted from his story about love by having another drink?
14. Where does the story take place?
(a) Nick's porch.
(b) Mel's kitchen.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) A parking lot.
15. What happens at the end of the story?
(a) Everyone starts crying.
(b) Everyone goes home.
(c) The sun rises.
(d) The sun sets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the temperature of the area the group is sitting in described?
2. Who brings up the topic of "spiritual love"?
3. What is Mel's ex-wife allergic to?
4. How old is Laura?
5. How does the old couple appear in the hospital?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)