|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mel claims he loved:
(a) Feeling sober.
(c) His job.
(d) His first wife.
2. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
(a) They gave away their children.
(b) She would help him commit crimes.
(c) Her boyfriend beat her.
(d) They never lived together.
3. What is Mel's ex-wife's name?
4. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend attempt suicide the first time?
(a) Hanging himself.
(b) Overdosing on psychiatric medication.
(c) Drinking rat poison.
(d) Cutting his wrists.
5. Why is Mel hesitant to call?
(a) They haven't heard from him in several years.
(b) He doesn't want his current wife to feel left out.
(c) He does not want to talk to his ex-wife.
(d) He doesn't want them to know he is drunk.
6. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
(c) Himself (Mel).
7. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
(a) He is unable to see his wife.
(b) He can no longer take part in extramarital affairs.
(c) He is thinking about living the rest of his life as an invalid.
(d) He loses his job.
8. Where are the characters sitting for the duration of the story?
(a) On the floor.
(b) On a bench.
(c) In chairs.
(d) On a windowsill.
9. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
(d) Wedding planner.
10. What does Mel say would happen if any of the main characters died?
(a) Their partner would grieve and would then search for a new partner.
(b) Their partner would die also.
(c) The other couple would take their partner in as part of the family.
(d) All of the characters' ideas about love would change drastically.
11. Who asks Mel to continue the story of the old couple?
12. Why does Mel's wife want this to happen to his ex-wife?
(a) Because she wants to have a place to stay when she and Mel go overseas.
(b) Because she is draining Mel financially and emotionally.
(c) Because she enjoys Mel's ex-wife's company.
(d) Because she is possessive of Mel.
13. Why is the story of the old couple told?
(a) To describe how vulnerable people become as they age.
(b) To show how love does not outlast everything.
(c) To give an example of true love.
(d) To demonstrate the difference between male and female views of love.
14. How long has Nick been married?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) He has not yet married.
(d) Ten years.
15. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
(a) The fire alarm goes off.
(b) One of the couples decides to get a divorce.
(c) The wine bottle crashes to the floor.
(d) No one speaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the story take place?
2. Which of the following does Mel wonder about new love?
3. What happens to Terri's ex-boyfriend after he tried to kill himself?
4. Terri teases the other couple for acting as if:
5. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)