|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the characters sitting for the duration of the story?
(a) In chairs.
(b) On a windowsill.
(c) On a bench.
(d) On the floor.
2. What hits the old couple's car?
(a) A falling tree limb.
(b) A deer.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A car.
3. What is the relationship between Terri and Nick?
4. Who says that Terri's ex-boyfriend is so inept that he can't even kill himself properly?
5. Who turns on a light in the room?
(c) No one.
6. Why is Mel hesitant to call?
(a) He doesn't want them to know he is drunk.
(b) They haven't heard from him in several years.
(c) He doesn't want his current wife to feel left out.
(d) He does not want to talk to his ex-wife.
7. How is the temperature of the area the group is sitting in described?
8. Where does the story take place?
(a) Nick's porch.
(b) Mel's kitchen.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) A parking lot.
9. What reason does the character give for asking for something to eat before dinner?
(a) She/he is very hungry.
(b) She/he is drunk and needs to sober up.
(c) She/he is getting bored.
(d) She/he wants to give the hostess something to do.
10. What is the geographic setting for the story?
(d) Bar Harbor.
11. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
12. Who notes that the characters "are all from someplace else"?
13. What is the old couple's condition after the accident?
(a) They are not injured other than scrapes and bruises.
(b) Their individual blood pressure readings skyrocket simultaneously.
(c) They are incredibly angry at the hospital and doctors.
(d) They have multiple injuries.
14. What can the narrator hear near the end of the story?
(a) Wine being poured.
(b) A childhood song.
(c) A fire burning.
(d) Everyone's heartbeats.
15. What is the old couple's prognosis?
(a) Good, if they get divorced.
(b) They will be fine after recovering.
(c) They will have to live at an assisted living facility the rest of their lives.
(d) They die soon after the accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose glass is overturned on the table at the end of the story?
2. Who feels as if the group is "enchanted" as the conversation continues?
3. Who asks Mel to continue the story of the old couple?
4. What does Nick notice after the story is over?
5. Terri teases the other couple for acting as if:
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)