|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Terri's ex-boyfriend after he tried to kill himself?
(a) His face is severely deformed.
(b) He is unable to speak.
(c) He can't walk.
(d) He becomes more violent.
2. Why does Mel's wife want this to happen to his ex-wife?
(a) Because she enjoys Mel's ex-wife's company.
(b) Because she is draining Mel financially and emotionally.
(c) Because she wants to have a place to stay when she and Mel go overseas.
(d) Because she is possessive of Mel.
3. Who suggests that the group go to dinner?
4. What reason does the character give for asking for something to eat before dinner?
(a) She/he wants to give the hostess something to do.
(b) She/he is drunk and needs to sober up.
(c) She/he is getting bored.
(d) She/he is very hungry.
5. What is the geographic setting for the story?
(a) Bar Harbor.
6. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
(a) They gave away their children.
(b) Her boyfriend beat her.
(c) They never lived together.
(d) She would help him commit crimes.
7. How old is Laura?
8. Who tells the story of the old couple?
9. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Take medication.
(c) Have a drink.
(d) Call his parents.
10. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
(b) Himself (Mel).
11. How long does Terri's ex-boyfriend live after his final suicide attempt?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) He died instantly.
(d) Four years.
12. What reason does Terri give for her ex-boyfriend trying to kill her?
(a) He loved her so much.
(b) Terri tried to kill him first.
(c) He was having hallucinations.
(d) He fell in love with someone else.
13. What does Mel's wife hope will happen to his ex-wife?
(a) She will pay him back alimony and child support.
(b) She will remarry or die.
(c) She will move to another country.
(d) She will fall in love with Mel all over again.
14. What is the main topic of the couples' conversation?
(a) The difference between marriage and cohabitation.
(b) The ups and downs of married life.
(c) The unrealistic hope of everlasting love.
(d) The meaning of real love.
15. What is the old couple's prognosis?
(a) They die soon after the accident.
(b) They will have to live at an assisted living facility the rest of their lives.
(c) Good, if they get divorced.
(d) They will be fine after recovering.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend eventually kill himself?
2. Why does Mel say he would have liked to have been born in medieval times?
3. In addition to the beverages, what else is passed around during the conversation?
4. What does Mel say would happen if any of the main characters died?
5. Where does the story take place?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)