|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, where are the characters from?
(a) The same place.
(b) The East Coast.
(c) A foreign land.
(d) Somewhere else.
2. Who turns on a light in the room?
(c) No one.
3. What reason does the character give for asking for something to eat before dinner?
(a) She/he is drunk and needs to sober up.
(b) She/he is getting bored.
(c) She/he is very hungry.
(d) She/he wants to give the hostess something to do.
4. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
(a) The author does not address this topic.
(b) She loved him only after he died.
(c) No, she only thought she did.
(d) Yes, she must have.
5. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
(a) The wine bottle crashes to the floor.
(b) One of the couples decides to get a divorce.
(c) No one speaks.
(d) The fire alarm goes off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is used as a symbol of lack of inhibition in the story?
2. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
3. Which of the following literary techniques does the author use in comparing Mel's profession with the topic of conversation?
4. Who notes that the characters "are all from someplace else"?
5. Who decides that calling Mel's children might not be a good idea?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)