|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary device does the author use in portraying Mel's difficulty in understanding love despite his profession?
2. How is the topic of love broached?
(a) Mel starts talking about it.
(b) Laura's children ask about it.
(c) Terri has a dream about love.
(d) The characters are reading the same book.
3. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend attempt suicide the first time?
(a) Drinking rat poison.
(b) Overdosing on psychiatric medication.
(c) Cutting his wrists.
(d) Hanging himself.
4. As Carver's story progresses, how do Mel and Terri's attitudes toward each other change?
(a) They become more polite to each other.
(b) They fall more in love.
(c) They are indifferent toward each other.
(d) They become more hostile toward each other.
5. Where is Mel when Terri's ex-boyfriend is brought to the hospital?
(a) At his home with Terri.
(b) At the hospital.
(d) At the restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
2. Who is the first one to turn on a light?
3. Which of the following terms refers to the literal definition of 'heart'?
4. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
5. Where are the characters sitting for the duration of the story?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)