|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of the story as Nick kisses his wife's hand?
(a) Fast-paced and rushed.
(b) Serious and arcane.
(c) Romantic and sweet.
(d) Dull and subdued.
2. As Carver's story progresses, how do Mel and Terri's attitudes toward each other change?
(a) They fall more in love.
(b) They are indifferent toward each other.
(c) They become more hostile toward each other.
(d) They become more polite to each other.
3. What does Mel say would happen if any of the main characters died?
(a) Their partner would grieve and would then search for a new partner.
(b) The other couple would take their partner in as part of the family.
(c) All of the characters' ideas about love would change drastically.
(d) Their partner would die also.
4. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
(a) The fire alarm goes off.
(b) No one speaks.
(c) The wine bottle crashes to the floor.
(d) One of the couples decides to get a divorce.
5. What does Nick notice after the story is over?
(a) The afternoon light is waning.
(b) Everyone is crying.
(c) The sun is rising.
(d) The narrator has his arm around someone else's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how common are the stages of love the couples are experiencing?
2. Which of the following symbolizes the hopelessness the characters feel about finding real love?
3. Other than Mel, which term best describes the characters in the story?
4. Which of the following is a symbol in this story?
5. Where is Mel when Terri's ex-boyfriend is brought to the hospital?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)