|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leaphorn learn the killer's address?
2. How is Leaphorn dressed?
3. Where do Chee and Janet go on the Metro?
4. How long did Elogio Santillanes y Jimenez have to remained a "John Doe" for Fleck to be paid by The Client?
5. About whom does Leaphorn ask his interrogators?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chee conclude about the Yeibichai mask and how does he come to that conclusion?
2. What happens while Highhawk and Chee are sitting in Highhawk's office and what does Chee do?
3. Besides a Yeibichai mask, what else does Chee find of interest in Highhawk's office?
4. What does the man who was the conductor on the Amtrak train which stopped in the desert in New Mexico tell Joe Leaphorn?
5. Who comes to Leaphorn's hotel room and what do they want and how does Leaphorn handle the situation?
6. Why do Chee and Highhawk agree to meet at the museum?
7. Describe the conversation between Leroy and Delmar Fleck.
8. With whom do Chee and Leaphorn meet and what does Chee tell the person?
9. What do Chee, Leaphorn and Captain Rodney find in the bin that contains artifacts from Borneo?
10. What lesson does Fleck remember from his childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Talking God.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Talking God. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Talking God. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Talking God. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hillerman chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in Talking God. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hillerman chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Hillerman's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hillerman use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Talking God, like most novels in the detective genre involves police officers and police work. Discuss the following:
1. What are the characteristics of an effective police officer? Does Leaphorn perform well as a police officer? What about Chee? Kennedy?
2. What additional characteristics does a police detective need versus a policeman on the beat?
3. Discuss the clash between the FBI and the police. Should more cooperation take place between the agencies? Why do you think the FBI is often portrayed in an uncomplimentary light in police/detective novels? How does Hillerman portray the FBI?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)