|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Captain Rodney meet Leaphorn?
2. What interests Captain Parker about the incident at the museum when Highhawk disappears?
3. What is the purpose of the dance for Anges Tsosie?
4. For what is Fleck still searching?
5. What is different between the list and the notebook in the luggage Leaphorn inspects?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose body is found in some bushes and what is the cause of death?
2. Besides a Yeibichai mask, what else does Chee find of interest in Highhawk's office?
3. What does Leaphorn learn when he calls his office?
4. What do the prosecutors offer Highhawk and what is his response?
5. With whom does Chee have breakfast and what amazes Chee?
6. Describe the conversation between Leroy and Delmar Fleck.
7. What do Chee, Leaphorn and Captain Rodney find in the bin that contains artifacts from Borneo?
8. With whom do Chee and Leaphorn meet and what does Chee tell the person?
9. What is the possible history of the Inca mask of the god Viracocha?
10. What does the recording found with Highhawk reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Talking God, like most detective novels, involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Leroy Fleck, who is a known murderer, is at all tragic? Why or why not.
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Talking God based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Talking God is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Talking God is primarily for entertainment changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Talking God, like most novels in the detective genre involves police officers and police work. Discuss the following:
1. What are the characteristics of an effective police officer? Does Leaphorn perform well as a police officer? What about Chee? Kennedy?
2. What additional characteristics does a police detective need versus a policeman on the beat?
3. Discuss the clash between the FBI and the police. Should more cooperation take place between the agencies? Why do you think the FBI is often portrayed in an uncomplimentary light in police/detective novels? How does Hillerman portray the FBI?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)