|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had collected the Indian skeletons that the Smithsonian has in its possession?
2. Who refuses to pay Fleck for a job he did?
3. How is Highhawk killed?
4. What is the name of the exhibit Highhawk is setting up?
5. In what State penitentiary does Fleck do time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Fleck and the Client and Fleck's reaction afterward.
2. What does Jim Chee find in Highhawk's office and what does he think of it?
3. Who does Fleck follow to the Smithsonian?
4. What is the possible history of the Inca mask of the god Viracocha?
5. What do the prosecutors offer Highhawk and what is his response?
6. With whom do Chee and Leaphorn meet and what does Chee tell the person?
7. What is Fleck's association with Eddy Elkins and why does Fleck think of him in this chapter?
8. What lesson does Fleck remember from his childhood?
9. What happens while Highhawk and Chee are sitting in Highhawk's office and what does Chee do?
10. What does Fleck read in the newspaper about Cardona and about the man Fleck murders in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Talking God, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 4, Officer Chee is watching dancers prepare for the Yeibichai or Night Chant ceremony. Discuss the following
1. Research some Navajo rites or initiation ceremonies and describe them and give your thoughts about them.
2. What do you think is the purpose of ceremonies for the common events in human life (such as birth, death, marriage, etc.)?
3. Has Native American culture influenced some aspect of the predominant culture of the United States? How? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in Talking God and compare/contrast the way the Navajo culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
3. Conduct 2 interviews of Native Americans or persons from a different culture who have moved to the United States and ask them about the idea of assimilation versus merging into the predominent culture of the United States.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)