|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Highhawk take Chee?
2. What does Leaphorn learn about auranofin?
3. In what State penitentiary does Fleck do time?
4. What does Fleck want to photograph?
5. Who does Chee discuss with Leaphorn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man who was the conductor on the Amtrak train which stopped in the desert in New Mexico tell Joe Leaphorn?
2. What lesson does Fleck remember from his childhood?
3. What has Fleck done to the nursing home director and why?
4. What is Fleck's association with Eddy Elkins and why does Fleck think of him in this chapter?
5. Besides a Yeibichai mask, what else does Chee find of interest in Highhawk's office?
6. Describe Fleck's conversation with "The Client" after reading the newspaper articles.
7. With whom do Chee and Leaphorn meet and what does Chee tell the person?
8. What happens while Highhawk and Chee are sitting in Highhawk's office and what does Chee do?
9. What does Fleck read in the newspaper about Cardona and about the man Fleck murders in the desert?
10. How does Fleck's childhood lesson serve him while he is in prison and as a hired killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Talking God belongs to the detective/crime/mystery genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the detective/crime/mystery genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
4. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 4, Officer Chee is watching dancers prepare for the Yeibichai or Night Chant ceremony. Discuss the following
1. Research some Navajo rites or initiation ceremonies and describe them and give your thoughts about them.
2. What do you think is the purpose of ceremonies for the common events in human life (such as birth, death, marriage, etc.)?
3. Has Native American culture influenced some aspect of the predominant culture of the United States? How? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Talking God.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Talking God. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Talking God. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)