|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leroy Fleck locate?
2. Who tracked Highhawk down?
3. To where is the client trailed?
4. Who does Fleck consider asking for money?
5. How does Highhawk refer to Rudolfo Gomez?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leaphorn learn when he calls his office?
2. Whose body is found in some bushes and what is the cause of death?
3. What does Jim Chee find in Highhawk's office and what does he think of it?
4. What is the possible history of the Inca mask of the god Viracocha?
5. What does the man who was the conductor on the Amtrak train which stopped in the desert in New Mexico tell Joe Leaphorn?
6. Besides a Yeibichai mask, what else does Chee find of interest in Highhawk's office?
7. What is Fleck's association with Eddy Elkins and why does Fleck think of him in this chapter?
8. What does the recording found with Highhawk reveal?
9. Describe the conversation between Leroy and Delmar Fleck.
10. What does Fleck read in the newspaper about Cardona and about the man Fleck murders in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Getting the most out of this novel requires some familiarity with the Navajo cultures. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Who are the Navajo? What are some of the different clans of Navajo? How do the various clans differ, if they do? What are some of their common beliefs? How do the Navajo live in today's world?
3. How does the Navajo culture inform the plot and actions of this novel? Give examples.
4. Compare and contrast the cultures of two Southwestern Native American tribes.
Essay Topic 2
Most mystery novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in Talking God. Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example--in spook houses at Halloween or by reading mystery/suspense novels that contain an element of fear?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 4, Officer Chee is watching dancers prepare for the Yeibichai or Night Chant ceremony. Discuss the following
1. Research some Navajo rites or initiation ceremonies and describe them and give your thoughts about them.
2. What do you think is the purpose of ceremonies for the common events in human life (such as birth, death, marriage, etc.)?
3. Has Native American culture influenced some aspect of the predominant culture of the United States? How? Give examples and discuss fully.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)