|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prosecutor offering Highhawk?
2. What is a song on the recorder found on Highhawk?
3. How does Fleck amuse himself?
4. Why does Leaphorn miss Emma particularly at this moment?
5. Who goes with Leaphorn to Union Station?
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 4, Officer Chee is watching dancers prepare for the Yeibichai or Night Chant ceremony. Discuss the following
1. Research some Navajo rites or initiation ceremonies and describe them and give your thoughts about them.
2. What do you think is the purpose of ceremonies for the common events in human life (such as birth, death, marriage, etc.)?
3. Has Native American culture influenced some aspect of the predominant culture of the United States? How? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Janet Pete and John McDermott. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character? Do both seem to fit the image you have of what a lawyer is like? Why or why not.
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Talking God help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Talking God, like most novels in the detective genre involves police officers and police work. Discuss the following:
1. What are the characteristics of an effective police officer? Does Leaphorn perform well as a police officer? What about Chee? Kennedy?
2. What additional characteristics does a police detective need versus a policeman on the beat?
3. Discuss the clash between the FBI and the police. Should more cooperation take place between the agencies? Why do you think the FBI is often portrayed in an uncomplimentary light in police/detective novels? How does Hillerman portray the FBI?
This section contains 2,402 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)