Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Chee near the museum entrance?
2. Who comes and talks to Leaphorn at his hotel room?
3. Who does Leaphorn want to question?
4. What does Fleck do after seeing the article about Elogio Santillanes y Jimenez?
5. Why does Leaphorn miss Emma particularly at this moment?
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Talking God based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Talking God is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Talking God is primarily for entertainment changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
In chapter 4, Officer Chee is watching dancers prepare for the Yeibichai or Night Chant ceremony. Discuss the following
1. Research some Navajo rites or initiation ceremonies and describe them and give your thoughts about them.
2. What do you think is the purpose of ceremonies for the common events in human life (such as birth, death, marriage, etc.)?
3. Has Native American culture influenced some aspect of the predominant culture of the United States? How? Give examples and discuss fully.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Joe Leaphorn, using only his mind, "out detects" the FBI, with its large budget and state-of-the-art equipment.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Talking God.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Talking God.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)