|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chee call a white man at the ceremony?
2. To whom does Leaphorn show the photos of the dead man?
3. What does Highhawk wear on his left leg?
4. Why was an Amtrak train stopped for 38 minutes on the night of the murder that Leaphorn is investigating?
5. What is Angnes Tsosie told by a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janet say about one of McDermott's clients who is a real estate developer?
2. What does Catherine Perry find on her desk and who does she blame?
3. What is so mysterious about the body in the desert?
4. What is one source of cash for Fleck to help his mother and who does he contact about it?
5. Describe what Joe Leaphorn finds at the crime scene Kennedy asks him to investigate.
6. Describe Henry Highhawk's appearance at the Night Chant ceremony.
7. Why hasn't The Client paid Fleck the rest of the money owed Fleck?
8. What is Jim Chee's response to Mary's letter?
9. For whom does Janet Chee work and what is her relationship to her immediate supervisor?
10. What has Henry Highhawk asked the Smithsonian to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Talking God based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Talking God is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Talking God is primarily for entertainment changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Talking God.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Talking God. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Talking God. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Talking God, like most novels in the detective genre involves police officers and police work. Discuss the following:
1. What are the characteristics of an effective police officer? Does Leaphorn perform well as a police officer? What about Chee? Kennedy?
2. What additional characteristics does a police detective need versus a policeman on the beat?
3. Discuss the clash between the FBI and the police. Should more cooperation take place between the agencies? Why do you think the FBI is often portrayed in an uncomplimentary light in police/detective novels? How does Hillerman portray the FBI?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)