|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what hospital is Agnes Tsosie?
2. What has Highhawk been attempting to do?
3. Where does Anges Tsosie's son-in-law place her bed?
4. Who is Janet's firm's expert on the Southwest?
5. What does Leaphorn ask his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the members of the tribal council feel about the proposed bypass? How does Tamana think he can get elected to the council?
2. What is a possible break Leaphorn makes in the case as he revisits the scene at dusk?
3. What is Leroy Fleck's most pressing personal problem?
4. What is Catherine Perry's thoughts about Highhawk's request?
5. What is one source of cash for Fleck to help his mother and who does he contact about it?
6. Who has called Catherine Perry and what does she think he wants?
7. What does Anges Tsosie tell Joe Leaphorn when he questions her?
8. What does the letter Chee receives from Mary reveal?
9. Who does Leaphorn wish he could talk over the case with and why can't he?
10. What does Janet Pete tell Jim Chee about a man in a Chevy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Joe Leaphorn, using only his mind, "out detects" the FBI, with its large budget and state-of-the-art equipment.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in Talking God.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in Talking God.
Essay Topic 2
Talking God belongs to the detective/crime/mystery genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the detective/crime/mystery genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
4. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in Talking God and compare/contrast the way the Navajo culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
3. Conduct 2 interviews of Native Americans or persons from a different culture who have moved to the United States and ask them about the idea of assimilation versus merging into the predominent culture of the United States.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)