|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Amtrak conductor find when he looks in the roomette?
(a) A note addressed to the conductor.
(b) No one.
(c) A note addressed to the police.
(d) A strange man.
2. Who does Chee confront as he and Janet leave Highhawk's office?
(a) A policeman being rough with a young black man.
(b) A youth trying to steal an elderly woman's purse.
(c) The man in the Chevy.
(d) A man trying to break into Janet's car.
3. How does Leaphorn learn the killer's address?
(a) By a pharmacist.
(b) Through the Washington, D. C. police.
(c) From Henry Highhawk.
(d) Through a want ad circled in the paper on the victim.
4. What is missing from Highhawk's hook in his office?
(a) Highhawk's master key.
(b) His museum jacket.
(c) His cane.
(d) His hat.
5. About what do Chee and Leaphorn disagree?
(a) If Chee should date Janet Pete.
(b) If Leaphorn should tell the press that the FBI did not identify the desert corpse.
(c) About the bones of Navajo people.
(d) About whether or not Highhawk was insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leaphorn miss Emma particularly at this moment?
2. Who goes with Leaphorn to Union Station?
3. What did Fleck kill three inmates?
4. What is the purpose of the dance for Anges Tsosie?
5. What does Chee do when Highhawk receives a phone call and excuses himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chee, Leaphorn and Captain Rodney find in the bin that contains artifacts from Borneo?
2. What does Leaphorn observe about the handwriting on papers in the victim's luggage and what does he realize about one of the papers?
3. Describe the conversation between Fleck and the Client and Fleck's reaction afterward.
4. What does the man who was the conductor on the Amtrak train which stopped in the desert in New Mexico tell Joe Leaphorn?
5. How does Fleck's childhood lesson serve him while he is in prison and as a hired killer?
6. With whom do Chee and Leaphorn meet and what does Chee tell the person?
7. What lesson does Fleck remember from his childhood?
8. Whose body is found in some bushes and what is the cause of death?
9. What does Jim Chee find in Highhawk's office and what does he think of it?
10. What does the recording found with Highhawk reveal?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)