|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was an Amtrak train stopped for 38 minutes on the night of the murder that Leaphorn is investigating?
(a) Mechanical failure.
(b) It was not stopped.
(c) A dead cow on the tracks.
(d) A dead horse on the tracks.
2. What does the note in the box reveal?
(a) That Perry is under a contract by the mafia.
(b) That more teeth will be forthcoming if she does not rescind a decision of the Board.
(c) What the significance of the box's contents is.
(d) It is unclear as it is a picture of a Cochise doll.
3. Who is Janet Pete?
(a) An attorney for Chee's uncle.
(b) A Nez Pez tribal police officer.
(c) A friend of Mary Langdon.
(d) An attorney who is defending Highhawk.
4. What is high quality but worn?
(a) An ancient Navajo woven blanket.
(b) The Navajo jewelry Leaphorn finds.
(c) The corpse's clothing.
(d) A modern Navajo blanket made on factory looms.
5. Who is John McDermott?
(a) Janet Pete's lover.
(b) An anthropology professor at Georgetown University.
(c) A sociology professor at Georgetown University.
(d) Janet Pete's former lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to become a member of the Navajo tribe?
2. From whom does Leaphorn receive a phone call?
3. What has Fleck done to earn 10,000 dollars?
4. Who does Fleck call to demand money?
5. What is in the letter that Chee opens in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while Highhawk and Chee are sitting in Highhawk's office and what does Chee do?
2. What frustrates Leaphorn about the dead body in the desert, and also what about the corpse puzzles Leaphorn.
3. What is a possible break Leaphorn makes in the case as he revisits the scene at dusk?
4. What is Catherine Perry's thoughts about Highhawk's request?
5. What makes Leaphorn decide to travel to Washington, D. C. for his vacation?
6. Describe what Joe Leaphorn finds at the crime scene Kennedy asks him to investigate.
7. Describe the conversation between Fleck and the Client and Fleck's reaction afterward.
8. Describe the conversation between Leroy and Delmar Fleck.
9. With whom does Chee have breakfast and what amazes Chee?
10. With whom do Chee and Leaphorn meet and what does Chee tell the person?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)