|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is odd about the dead body with which Leaphorn is concerned?
(a) That it is not decaying.
(b) That it is laid out so neatly.
(c) That it shows no signs of fear.
(d) That the teeth were pulled out very violently.
2. About what does Perry believe the Chilean embassy is calling?
(a) The work that Highhawk is doing.
(b) Some bones of ancient South American aboriginals.
(c) A jeweled scepter.
(d) A jeweled mask.
3. Why does Leaphorn go out into the snow?
(a) He is tracking a deer.
(b) He misses his wife.
(c) He is tracking a man.
(d) He is hoping to find a sign that his wife can hear him.
4. What is Leaphorn asked to search?
(a) The desert for tracks.
(b) A canyon near the river.
(c) The tribal records.
(d) The missing persons report from the reservation.
5. Why does Leaphorn decide to go to Washington, D. C.?
(a) To visit his brother-in-law.
(b) To visit his aunt.
(c) To search the dead man's luggage.
(d) To meet Catherine Perry.
6. What is high quality but worn?
(a) A modern Navajo blanket made on factory looms.
(b) The Navajo jewelry Leaphorn finds.
(c) An ancient Navajo woven blanket.
(d) The corpse's clothing.
7. What is Leaphorn mulling over in a more pleasurable vein?
(a) If he wants to follow up on a woman's flirtation when he was at the Navajo Reservation.
(b) Where to go for his vacation.
(c) If he wants to go out for a steak dinner that night.
(d) If his daughter has arrived for her visit yet.
8. What does Leaphorn's contact in Amtrak tell him?
(a) That dead cows are frequently found on the tracks.
(b) How to trace the dead man's luggage.
(c) That a passenger could not have forced an emergency stop without consulting an employee.
(d) That wild mustangs are frequently grazing near the tracks.
9. How is Janet Pete dressed?
(a) Jeans and tee shirt.
(b) Pseudo native American garb.
(c) In a sun dress.
(d) A gray silk suit.
10. Over what does Leaphorn puzzle?
(a) Why Jim Chee has called him several times.
(b) Why his boss is forcing him to retire.
(c) Why Highhawk wants to joint the Navajos.
(d) Why a man would die without his dentures in.
11. Whose name is on a piece of paper in Madrid-Perez's luggage?
(b) Janet Pete.
12. What does Leaphorn do at dusk?
(a) Stops to see Cowboy.
(b) Goes backk home.
(c) Goes to a bar.
(d) Goes back to the crime scene.
13. What does the note in the box reveal?
(a) It is unclear as it is a picture of a Cochise doll.
(b) That Perry is under a contract by the mafia.
(c) What the significance of the box's contents is.
(d) That more teeth will be forthcoming if she does not rescind a decision of the Board.
14. What does the pathologist say about the cause of death of the body?
(a) Cyanide poisoning.
(b) A small stab wound at the base of the skull.
(c) He is uncertain.
(d) A heart attack.
15. Where does Leaphorn go after his trek out to the crime scene?
(b) His grandfather's grave.
(d) His daughter's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eldon Tamana?
2. What does Leaphorn ask his friend?
3. What is the setting for Chapter Two?
4. What has Highhawk been attempting to do?
5. Why wouldn't Jim Chee be happy living in Wisconsin?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)