|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Leaphorn asked to search?
(a) A canyon near the river.
(b) The missing persons report from the reservation.
(c) The desert for tracks.
(d) The tribal records.
2. What has Highhawk been attempting to do?
(a) Get legislation passed.
(b) Block a vote on reservation lands.
(c) Have skeletal remains returned to their tribes.
(d) Match up some DNA from some Native American bones.
3. What does Janet Pete tell Chee?
(a) That Mary Langdon has been arrested.
(b) That Highhawk and Gomez are planning a serious crime.
(c) That Chee's uncle left Chee his pipe.
(d) That the Nez Pez pow wow has been rescheduled.
4. About what does Perry believe the Chilean embassy is calling?
(a) The work that Highhawk is doing.
(b) A jeweled mask.
(c) Some bones of ancient South American aboriginals.
(d) A jeweled scepter.
5. Who wants to become a member of the Navajo tribe?
(a) Officer Chee.
(b) Henry Highhawk.
(c) Joe Leaphorn.
(d) Cowboy Dashee.
6. Why wouldn't Jim Chee be happy living in Wisconsin?
(a) He thinks he might like to live in Wisconsin.
(b) He would not want his children to not know their Native American heritage.
(c) He would hate the cold winters.
(d) He would miss his family too much.
7. What shocks Perry when she opens the package on her desk?
(a) A rare Native American artifact that has been missing for many years is in the box.
(b) The box is full of teeth.
(c) Her grandparents' bones are in the box.
(d) There is just dirt in the box.
8. What is high quality but worn?
(a) An ancient Navajo woven blanket.
(b) The Navajo jewelry Leaphorn finds.
(c) The corpse's clothing.
(d) A modern Navajo blanket made on factory looms.
9. Who is Eldon Tamana?
(a) A Tano man.
(b) A Nez Pez man.
(c) Jim Chee's good friend.
(d) A Navajo man.
10. Whose name is on a piece of paper in Madrid-Perez's luggage?
(c) Janet Pete.
11. What does the note in the box reveal?
(a) That more teeth will be forthcoming if she does not rescind a decision of the Board.
(b) What the significance of the box's contents is.
(c) That Perry is under a contract by the mafia.
(d) It is unclear as it is a picture of a Cochise doll.
12. Who is Janet's firm's expert on the Southwest?
(a) Janet Pete.
(b) They do not have an expert in that area.
(c) John McDermott.
(d) Henry Highhawk.
13. What is in the letter that Chee opens in chapter 7?
(a) His girlfriend stating she is ending their relationship.
(b) A letter from the draft board.
(c) A letter from the attorney of an uncle who has died.
(d) A bill that is something his girlfriend bought.
14. Who disagrees with Highhawk's work?
(a) The Board of Directors of the Native American Protection Society.
(c) No one.
15. From whom does Leaphorn receive a phone call?
(a) Jay Kennedy.
(b) Dr. Booker.
(c) Agnes Tsose.
(d) Catherine Perry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Smithsonian obtain the item which the Chilean general is trying to recover?
2. Where did Madrid-Perez have a meeting scheduled?
3. Who picks Jim Chee up at the airport?
4. What does Chee call a white man at the ceremony?
5. Who seems to be wearing a business suit at the airport?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)