|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Highhawk wear on his left leg?
(a) A metal brace.
(b) A knife holster.
(c) A ceremonial turquoise calf ring.
(d) A pistol holster.
2. What is Angnes Tsosie told by a doctor?
(a) That she is well enough to go home, though she will be ill for another week or two.
(b) That there is nothing wrong with her that he can find.
(c) That she has completely recovered from her illness.
(d) That she is dying.
3. What function does Janet Pete serve at her firm?
(a) Officer manager.
(b) As a token Indian.
(c) Researcher assistant.
(d) Legal aide.
4. Who disagrees with Highhawk's work?
(a) The Board of Directors of the Native American Protection Society.
(d) No one.
5. What is the opposition to what one of McDermott's clients want to do?
(a) Younger tribal members are not interested in a technical college.
(b) There is little opposition.
(c) Older tribal members do not want to sell their land.
(d) The tribal counsel has voted down having a toxic waste dump on their lands.
6. Who has Janet seen repeatedly?
(a) A man in a new Lexus.
(b) Her ex-boyfriend.
(c) A woman who looks to be part Native American.
(d) A man in a dented Chevy.
7. What does Chee call a white man at the ceremony?
(a) Hawk that doesn't fly.
(b) John Doe.
(c) The invisible white man.
(d) Man with Bad Hands.
8. What is odd about the dead body with which Leaphorn is concerned?
(a) That the teeth were pulled out very violently.
(b) That it is not decaying.
(c) That it shows no signs of fear.
(d) That it is laid out so neatly.
9. Who is Bernard St. Germain?
(a) Leaphorn's contact with the railroad.
(b) Leaphorn's contact in the Navajo Reservation.
(c) Leaphorn's contact in the CIA.
(d) Leaphorn's contact in the FBI.
10. What is high quality but worn?
(a) A modern Navajo blanket made on factory looms.
(b) The Navajo jewelry Leaphorn finds.
(c) An ancient Navajo woven blanket.
(d) The corpse's clothing.
11. Over what does Leaphorn puzzle?
(a) Why a man would die without his dentures in.
(b) Why Highhawk wants to joint the Navajos.
(c) Why Jim Chee has called him several times.
(d) Why his boss is forcing him to retire.
12. What shocks Perry when she opens the package on her desk?
(a) Her grandparents' bones are in the box.
(b) There is just dirt in the box.
(c) A rare Native American artifact that has been missing for many years is in the box.
(d) The box is full of teeth.
13. What does Joe Leaphorn feel has been restored?
14. What does the pathologist say about the cause of death of the body?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) He is uncertain.
(c) Cyanide poisoning.
(d) A small stab wound at the base of the skull.
15. What does Leaphorn's contact in Amtrak tell him?
(a) That wild mustangs are frequently grazing near the tracks.
(b) That dead cows are frequently found on the tracks.
(c) That a passenger could not have forced an emergency stop without consulting an employee.
(d) How to trace the dead man's luggage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leaphorn go out into the snow?
2. What does Leaphorn do at dusk?
3. Why is Joe Leaphorn frustrated?
4. Who is Eldon Tamana?
5. What has Highhawk been attempting to do?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)