|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Darnay's first impression of the imprisoned men and women?
2. What does Carton tell Mr. Lorry about taking Lucie, her father, and her daughter out of Paris?
3. What does Darnay tell Doctor Manette about the evidence brought against him in court?
4. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
5. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
2. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
3. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
4. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
5. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
6. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
7. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
8. Describe the Carmagnole.
9. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
10. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each character experiences in the final chapter.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as businessmen differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Mr. Lorry grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward Tellson's Bank?
3) How does his attitude about his lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)