|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
2. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
3. Who makes up the Tribunal?
4. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
5. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
2. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
3. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
4. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
5. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
6. Describe the Carmagnole.
7. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
8. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
9. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
10. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Dickens is trying to convey about life in France and England in the late 1700s?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the French Revolution?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Mr. Lorry grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward Tellson's Bank?
3) How does his attitude about his lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each character experiences in the final chapter.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)