|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
2. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
3. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
4. What reaction does Lucie have when she sees men and women dancing the Carmagnole?
5. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
2. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
3. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
4. Describe why Madame Defarge goes to visit Lucie.
5. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
6. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
7. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
8. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
9. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
10. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lucie and her father, Doctor Manette.
2) How does the doctor's past affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does Doctor Manette wish for Lucie's future?
4) How does Lucie feel about her father at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the elements of the tragic hero.
2) Which of these elements does Sydney Carton depict?
3) Explain his role as a hero in the novel and what role his final actions play in the story.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)