|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
2. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
3. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
4. Where does Sydney Carton stop on the morning after Charles' trial?
5. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Describe why Madame Defarge goes to visit Lucie.
3. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
4. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
5. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
6. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
7. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
8. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
9. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
10. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Charles Dickens uses local color and imagery to describe London and Paris.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, the wine shop, the prisons, and Tellson's Bank.
3) Does the imagery Dickens uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cities and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message Dickens is trying to convey about life in France and England in the late 1700s?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the French Revolution?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)