|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
2. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
3. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
4. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
5. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Describe the Carmagnole.
3. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
4. Describe why Madame Defarge goes to visit Lucie.
5. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
6. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
7. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
8. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
9. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
10. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause-and-effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Carton's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)