|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
2. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
3. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
4. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
5. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
Short Essay Questions
1. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
2. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
3. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
4. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
5. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
6. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
7. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
8. Describe the Carmagnole.
9. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
10. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Lucie and Sydney Carton.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between the French aristocrats' way of life with that of the common citizens?
2) What indications are there that the Monseigneur and the Marquis Evremonde consider theirs a superior culture and treat the common people as inferior creatures?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as businessmen differ? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)