|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
2. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
3. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
4. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
5. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
2. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
3. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
4. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
5. Describe the result of the encounter between Miss Pross and Madame Defarge.
6. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
7. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
8. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
9. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
10. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the elements of the tragic hero.
2) Which of these elements does Sydney Carton depict?
3) Explain his role as a hero in the novel and what role his final actions play in the story.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Charles Dickens uses local color and imagery to describe London and Paris.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, the wine shop, the prisons, and Tellson's Bank.
3) Does the imagery Dickens uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cities and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the evidence presented to the Tribunal in the second case against Charles Darnay.
2) Do you think the testimony given by the Defarges and the letter from Doctor Manette are convincing?
3) Defend or criticize the verdict of the Tribunal.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)