|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
2. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
3. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
4. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
5. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
2. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
3. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
4. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
5. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
6. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
7. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
8. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
9. Describe the result of the encounter between Miss Pross and Madame Defarge.
10. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the evidence presented to the Tribunal in the second case against Charles Darnay.
2) Do you think the testimony given by the Defarges and the letter from Doctor Manette are convincing?
3) Defend or criticize the verdict of the Tribunal.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Madame Defarge and Monsieur Defarge.
2) How are they a good match?
3) How do they interact with one another? What are the qualities of their marriage?
4) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the revolution?
Essay Topic 3
1) Lucie is one of the main constants throughout the novel. She is mentioned in all three parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around her. Explain how Lucie and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does Lucie have with Doctor Manette, Miss Pross, Charles Darnay, Mr. Lorry, Mr. Stryver, the Defarges, and Sydney Carton.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)