|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
2. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
3. What reaction does Lucie have when she sees men and women dancing the Carmagnole?
4. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
5. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
2. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
3. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
4. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
5. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
6. Explain why Mr. Lorry is shocked at the sight of Jerry Cruncher.
7. Describe the result of the encounter between Miss Pross and Madame Defarge.
8. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
9. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
10. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the elements of the tragic hero.
2) Which of these elements does Sydney Carton depict?
3) Explain his role as a hero in the novel and what role his final actions play in the story.
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between the French aristocrats' way of life with that of the common citizens?
2) What indications are there that the Monseigneur and the Marquis Evremonde consider theirs a superior culture and treat the common people as inferior creatures?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)