|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
2. What words continue to repeat in Carton's mind as he wanders the streets throughout the night?
3. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
4. What does Carton believe will happen to Charles?
5. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
2. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
3. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
4. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
5. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
6. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
7. Describe why Madame Defarge goes to visit Lucie.
8. Describe the result of the encounter between Miss Pross and Madame Defarge.
9. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
10. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Dickens is trying to convey about life in France and England in the late 1700s?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the French Revolution?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of La Guillotine. What does La Guillotine symbolize?
2) What images does Dickens use to describe La Guillotine as it is being used?
3) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)