|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
2. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
3. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
4. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
5. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the evidence that the Tribunal has against Charles?
2. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
3. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
4. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
5. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
6. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
7. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
8. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
9. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
10. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as businessmen differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)