|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two witnesses Darnay names in his behalf?
2. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
3. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
4. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
5. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as businessmen differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each character experiences in the final chapter.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the elements of the tragic hero.
2) Which of these elements does Sydney Carton depict?
3) Explain his role as a hero in the novel and what role his final actions play in the story.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)