|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
2. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
3. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
4. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
5. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
2. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
3. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
4. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
5. Describe the evidence that the Tribunal has against Charles?
6. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
7. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
8. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
9. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
10. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the significance of the woman at the foot of the scaffold, watching Sydney face La Guillotine?
2) How does she envision the thoughts that Sydney is thinking?
3) As written by this woman, what future does Sydney envision for Lucie and her family?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Lucie and Sydney Carton.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)