|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
2. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
3. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
4. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
5. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
2. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
3. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
4. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
5. Describe the Carmagnole.
6. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
7. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
8. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
9. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
10. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Charles Dickens' writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Charles Dickens uses local color and imagery to describe London and Paris.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, the wine shop, the prisons, and Tellson's Bank.
3) Does the imagery Dickens uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cities and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)