|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
2. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
3. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
4. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
5. What does Little Lucie recall later in her life that Carton said to Lucie while she was unconscious?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
2. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
3. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
4. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
5. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
6. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
7. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
8. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
9. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
10. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each character experiences in the final chapter.
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between the French aristocrats' way of life with that of the common citizens?
2) What indications are there that the Monseigneur and the Marquis Evremonde consider theirs a superior culture and treat the common people as inferior creatures?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)