|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
2. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
3. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
4. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
5. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
2. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
3. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
4. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
5. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
6. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
7. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
8. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
9. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
10. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the events leading up to the French Revolution and compare these to the depictions that Dickens gives in the novel.
2) How realistic are Dickens' descriptions of the revolution, the patriots, and the aristocrats?
3) Are the punishments and executions accurately portrayed by Dickens?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the significance of the woman at the foot of the scaffold, watching Sydney face La Guillotine?
2) How does she envision the thoughts that Sydney is thinking?
3) As written by this woman, what future does Sydney envision for Lucie and her family?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lucie and her father, Doctor Manette.
2) How does the doctor's past affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does Doctor Manette wish for Lucie's future?
4) How does Lucie feel about her father at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)