|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
2. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
3. What does Jerry's son tell him later in the evening?
4. What is Monsieur Defarge's roll in the storming of the Bastille?
5. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
2. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
3. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
4. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
5. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
6. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
7. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
8. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
9. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
10. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Charles Dickens uses local color and imagery to describe London and Paris.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, the wine shop, the prisons, and Tellson's Bank.
3) Does the imagery Dickens uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cities and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of La Guillotine. What does La Guillotine symbolize?
2) What images does Dickens use to describe La Guillotine as it is being used?
3) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause-and-effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Carton's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)