Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
2. Chapter 12
Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
3. Chapter 6
Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
5. Chapter 15
What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
3. Chapter 8
Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
4. Chapter 1
Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
5. Chapter 6
Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
6. Chapter 15
Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
7. Chapter 4
Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
8. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
9. Chapter 19
What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
10. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lucie and her father, Doctor Manette.
2) How does the doctor's past affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does Doctor Manette wish for Lucie's future?
4) How does Lucie feel about her father at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
1) Compare the characters of Lucie and Sydney Carton.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)