Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
2. Chapter 12
Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
3. Chapter 6
Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
5. Chapter 15
What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
3. Chapter 8
Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
4. Chapter 1
Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
5. Chapter 6
Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
6. Chapter 15
Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
7. Chapter 4
Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
8. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
9. Chapter 19
What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
10. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each character experiences in the final chapter.
1) What are some of the differences between the French aristocrats' way of life with that of the common citizens?
2) What indications are there that the Monseigneur and the Marquis Evremonde consider theirs a superior culture and treat the common people as inferior creatures?
1) Compare the characters of Lucie and Sydney Carton.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)