|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who revives Miss Manette with smelling salts after she faints?
2. Chapter 5 What do most men do as a pastime during the time the story is taking place?
3. What is the year the story is taking place?
4. What steps does Foulon take to protect himself from the revolutionaries?
5. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
2. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
3. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
4. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
5. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
6. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
7. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
8. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
9. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
10. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the elements of the tragic hero.
2) Which of these elements does Sydney Carton depict?
3) Explain his role as a hero in the novel and what role his final actions play in the story.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the evidence presented to the Tribunal in the second case against Charles Darnay.
2) Do you think the testimony given by the Defarges and the letter from Doctor Manette are convincing?
3) Defend or criticize the verdict of the Tribunal.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)