|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
2. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
3. What does the newlywed's visitor ask of Charles?
4. Chapter 1 What is the physical appearance of the Kings and Queens of England and France?
5. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
2. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
3. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
4. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
5. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
6. Chapter 18 Describe the great concern Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry have for Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding.
7. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
8. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
9. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
10. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lucie and her father, Doctor Manette.
2) How does the doctor's past affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does Doctor Manette wish for Lucie's future?
4) How does Lucie feel about her father at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the events leading up to the French Revolution and compare these to the depictions that Dickens gives in the novel.
2) How realistic are Dickens' descriptions of the revolution, the patriots, and the aristocrats?
3) Are the punishments and executions accurately portrayed by Dickens?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)