|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 11 What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
2. What is in the letter that Gabelle sends to Charles Darnay?
3. Chapter 21 What is the grief that strikes the Darnay household?
4. Chapter 3 What does Jerry ponder that every house, room, and heart in a city holds?
5. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
2. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
3. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
4. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
5. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
6. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
7. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
8. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
9. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
10. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as businessmen differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Lucie and Sydney Carton.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)