Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
2. Chapter 12 Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
3. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
5. Chapter 15 What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
3. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
4. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
5. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
6. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
7. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
8. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
9. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
10. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Madame Defarge and Monsieur Defarge.
2) How are they a good match?
3) How do they interact with one another? What are the qualities of their marriage?
4) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the revolution?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lucie and her father, Doctor Manette.
2) How does the doctor's past affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does Doctor Manette wish for Lucie's future?
4) How does Lucie feel about her father at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)