|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 17 Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
2. What is the reason for the prisoner's acquittal?
3. Chapter 2 What is the punishment for treason?
4. Chapter 4 Who does the acquitted prisoner dine with after the trial?
5. What does Carton say he would do for Lucie and anyone dear to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
2. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
3. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
4. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
5. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
6. Describe the evidence that the Tribunal has against Charles?
7. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
8. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
9. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
10. Describe why Madame Defarge goes to visit Lucie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Lucie is one of the main constants throughout the novel. She is mentioned in all three parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around her. Explain how Lucie and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does Lucie have with Doctor Manette, Miss Pross, Charles Darnay, Mr. Lorry, Mr. Stryver, the Defarges, and Sydney Carton.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as businessmen differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the significance of the woman at the foot of the scaffold, watching Sydney face La Guillotine?
2) How does she envision the thoughts that Sydney is thinking?
3) As written by this woman, what future does Sydney envision for Lucie and her family?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)