|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 9 How does Charles Darnay react to dining with Marquis Evremonde?
2. Chapter 8 What does the man hanging onto Marquis Evremonde's carriage do?
3. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
4. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
5. What does Lorry do with Doctor Manette's shoemaking implements?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
2. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
3. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
4. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
5. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
6. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
7. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
8. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
9. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
10. Chapter 18 Describe the great concern Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry have for Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause-and-effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Carton's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Lucie is one of the main constants throughout the novel. She is mentioned in all three parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around her. Explain how Lucie and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does Lucie have with Doctor Manette, Miss Pross, Charles Darnay, Mr. Lorry, Mr. Stryver, the Defarges, and Sydney Carton.
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Charles Dickens' writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)