|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the prisoner's acquittal?
2. What does Lucie pray as she watches her father sleep?
3. What is the prisoner's reaction as he waits before the large crowd to be tried?
4. What news does the spy relate to Defarge?
5. Chapter 10 What does Charles Darnay choose as a career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
2. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
3. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
4. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
5. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
6. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
7. Chapter 2 Summarize the message that Jerry delivers to Mr. Lorry.
8. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
9. Chapter 17 How does Doctor Manette feel about Lucie's marriage?
10. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between the French aristocrats' way of life with that of the common citizens?
2) What indications are there that the Monseigneur and the Marquis Evremonde consider theirs a superior culture and treat the common people as inferior creatures?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the evidence presented to the Tribunal in the second case against Charles Darnay.
2) Do you think the testimony given by the Defarges and the letter from Doctor Manette are convincing?
3) Defend or criticize the verdict of the Tribunal.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)