|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
2. What is the news that Lorry gives to his visitor?
3. What is Monsieur Defarge's roll in the storming of the Bastille?
4. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
5. Chapter 18 What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
2. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
3. Chapter 2 Summarize the message that Jerry delivers to Mr. Lorry.
4. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
5. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
6. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
7. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
8. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
9. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
10. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the image of La Guillotine. What does La Guillotine symbolize?
2) What images does Dickens use to describe La Guillotine as it is being used?
3) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the evidence presented to the Tribunal in the second case against Charles Darnay.
2) Do you think the testimony given by the Defarges and the letter from Doctor Manette are convincing?
3) Defend or criticize the verdict of the Tribunal.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)