|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 10 What does Charles Darnay choose as a career?
2. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
3. What does Defarge take to the King and Queen about Marquis Evremonde's murderer?
4. What does Charles decide to do about his future inheritance?
5. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 18 Describe the great concern Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry have for Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding.
2. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
3. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
4. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
5. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
6. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
7. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
8. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
9. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
10. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Mr. Lorry grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward Tellson's Bank?
3) How does his attitude about his lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the events leading up to the French Revolution and compare these to the depictions that Dickens gives in the novel.
2) How realistic are Dickens' descriptions of the revolution, the patriots, and the aristocrats?
3) Are the punishments and executions accurately portrayed by Dickens?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of La Guillotine. What does La Guillotine symbolize?
2) What images does Dickens use to describe La Guillotine as it is being used?
3) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)