|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucie pray as she watches her father sleep?
2. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
3. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
4. Chapter 2 What is the punishment for treason?
5. Where does Mr. Lorry decide to relocate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
2. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
3. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
4. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
5. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
6. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
7. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
8. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
9. Chapter 2 Summarize the message that Jerry delivers to Mr. Lorry.
10. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Charles Dickens' writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each character experiences in the final chapter.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)