|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 What does Jerry ponder that every house, room, and heart in a city holds?
2. What is the prisoner's reaction as he waits before the large crowd to be tried?
3. Chapter 17 Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
4. What is Monsieur Defarge's roll in the storming of the Bastille?
5. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
2. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
3. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
4. Chapter 2 Summarize the message that Jerry delivers to Mr. Lorry.
5. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
6. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
7. Chapter 18 Describe the great concern Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry have for Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding.
8. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
9. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
10. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between the French aristocrats' way of life with that of the common citizens?
2) What indications are there that the Monseigneur and the Marquis Evremonde consider theirs a superior culture and treat the common people as inferior creatures?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)