|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
2. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
3. How many people does Miss Pross tell Mr. Lorry come calling for Miss Lucie?
4. Chapter 20 Who is the first person to visit the newlyweds when they return home?
5. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
2. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
3. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
4. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
5. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
6. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
7. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
8. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
9. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
10. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Charles Dickens uses local color and imagery to describe London and Paris.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, the wine shop, the prisons, and Tellson's Bank.
3) Does the imagery Dickens uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cities and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
1) Lucie is one of the main constants throughout the novel. She is mentioned in all three parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around her. Explain how Lucie and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does Lucie have with Doctor Manette, Miss Pross, Charles Darnay, Mr. Lorry, Mr. Stryver, the Defarges, and Sydney Carton.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)