|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
2. Chapter 12 Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
3. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
5. Chapter 15 What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
3. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
4. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
5. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
6. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
7. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
8. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
9. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
10. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the events leading up to the French Revolution and compare these to the depictions that Dickens gives in the novel.
2) How realistic are Dickens' descriptions of the revolution, the patriots, and the aristocrats?
3) Are the punishments and executions accurately portrayed by Dickens?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Charles Dickens uses local color and imagery to describe London and Paris.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, the wine shop, the prisons, and Tellson's Bank.
3) Does the imagery Dickens uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cities and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 3
1) Lucie is one of the main constants throughout the novel. She is mentioned in all three parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around her. Explain how Lucie and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does Lucie have with Doctor Manette, Miss Pross, Charles Darnay, Mr. Lorry, Mr. Stryver, the Defarges, and Sydney Carton.
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)