|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
2. Chapter 7 How many men does it take to serve the Monseigneur his chocolate every morning?
3. What does Carton confess to Lucie when he visits her?
4. Chapter 3 What is the name of the prosecutor's witness?
5. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 17 How does Doctor Manette feel about Lucie's marriage?
2. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
3. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
4. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
5. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
6. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
7. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
8. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
9. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
10. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the significance of the woman at the foot of the scaffold, watching Sydney face La Guillotine?
2) How does she envision the thoughts that Sydney is thinking?
3) As written by this woman, what future does Sydney envision for Lucie and her family?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)