|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
2. What does Lucie pray as she watches her father sleep?
3. Who does Charles Darnay find attractive?
4. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
5. Where does Mr. Lorry decide to relocate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
2. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
3. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
4. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
5. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
6. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
7. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
8. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
9. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
10. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Sydney Carton's character changes from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the Manettes?
3) How does his attitude toward Charles Darnay change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the way he sees his life from the start of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the events leading up to the French Revolution and compare these to the depictions that Dickens gives in the novel.
2) How realistic are Dickens' descriptions of the revolution, the patriots, and the aristocrats?
3) Are the punishments and executions accurately portrayed by Dickens?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)