|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the physical and emotional condition of Doctor Manette?
2. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
3. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
4. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
5. Chapter 22 What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
2. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
3. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
4. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
5. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
6. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
7. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
8. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
9. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
10. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the image of La Guillotine. What does La Guillotine symbolize?
2) What images does Dickens use to describe La Guillotine as it is being used?
3) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Charles Dickens uses local color and imagery to describe London and Paris.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the atmosphere, landscaping, the citizens, the wine shop, the prisons, and Tellson's Bank.
3) Does the imagery Dickens uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cities and the surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause-and-effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Carton's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)