Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
2. Chapter 12 Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
3. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
5. Chapter 15 What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
3. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
4. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
5. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
6. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
7. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
8. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
9. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
10. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as businessmen differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the significance of the woman at the foot of the scaffold, watching Sydney face La Guillotine?
2) How does she envision the thoughts that Sydney is thinking?
3) As written by this woman, what future does Sydney envision for Lucie and her family?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Lucie and Sydney Carton.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)