|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dickens describe as the idlest and most unpromising man?
2. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
3. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
4. What news does the spy relate to Defarge?
5. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
2. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
3. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
4. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
5. Chapter 2 Summarize the message that Jerry delivers to Mr. Lorry.
6. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
7. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
8. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
9. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
10. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Lucie is one of the main constants throughout the novel. She is mentioned in all three parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around her. Explain how Lucie and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does Lucie have with Doctor Manette, Miss Pross, Charles Darnay, Mr. Lorry, Mr. Stryver, the Defarges, and Sydney Carton.
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the significance of the woman at the foot of the scaffold, watching Sydney face La Guillotine?
2) How does she envision the thoughts that Sydney is thinking?
3) As written by this woman, what future does Sydney envision for Lucie and her family?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lucie and her father, Doctor Manette.
2) How does the doctor's past affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does Doctor Manette wish for Lucie's future?
4) How does Lucie feel about her father at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)