|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerry's son tell him later in the evening?
2. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
3. What is Monsieur Defarge's roll in the storming of the Bastille?
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
5. What is the year the story is taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
2. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
3. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
4. Chapter 2 Summarize the message that Jerry delivers to Mr. Lorry.
5. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
6. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
7. Chapter 17 How does Doctor Manette feel about Lucie's marriage?
8. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
9. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
10. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What are some of the differences between the French aristocrats' way of life with that of the common citizens?
2) What indications are there that the Monseigneur and the Marquis Evremonde consider theirs a superior culture and treat the common people as inferior creatures?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare the characters of Lucie and Sydney Carton.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of La Guillotine. What does La Guillotine symbolize?
2) What images does Dickens use to describe La Guillotine as it is being used?
3) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)