|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 14 What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
2. What does Defarge take to the King and Queen about Marquis Evremonde's murderer?
3. Chapter 13 How does Sydney Carton feel when he visits the Manettes?
4. Chapter 8 What does the man hanging onto Marquis Evremonde's carriage do?
5. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
2. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
3. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
4. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
5. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
6. Chapter 21 What is the golden thread that Dickens uses in the first paragraph of this chapter?
7. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
8. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
9. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
10. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Doctor Manette's personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a prisoner into a family man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes the doctor goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Charles Dickens' writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Madame Defarge's final acts in the story.
2) Analyze whether her character completely evil in the end?
3) Justify the answer with examples from the story.
4) What alternatives did she have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)