|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
(a) His family's peace depends upon a curse on his accusers.
(b) His family's peace depends upon his escape.
(c) His family's peace depends upon his vow of vengeance.
(d) His family's peace depends upon his quiet fortitude.
2. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
(a) He writes a letter to Mr. Lorry.
(b) He paces the floor, counting the cell's measurement.
(c) He writes a letter to his wife.
(d) He says a prayer.
3. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) People do not go out of their houses.
(b) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(c) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(d) Many citizens are leaving France.
4. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Doctor Manette and Lucie
(b) Lucie and Miss Pross
(c) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
(d) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
5. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
(a) She smiles.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is horrified.
(d) She is saddened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
2. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
3. How many death carts head toward La Guillotine?
4. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
5. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Carmagnole.
2. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
3. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
4. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
5. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
6. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
7. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
8. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
9. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
10. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)