|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(b) The death of her own husband
(c) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(d) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
2. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
(a) Papers condemning Charles
(b) Papers condemning the doctor and Lucie
(c) Papers denying safe passage out of France
(d) Papers that allow safe passage out of France
3. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
(a) Madame Defarge is stabbed.
(b) Madame Defarge is shot.
(c) Miss Pross is shot.
(d) Miss Pross is stabbed.
4. What does the evidence against Charles call up in the crowd at the trial?
(a) Sympathy for Charles
(b) Mercy for the prisoners
(c) Their own past offenses
(d) A passion for vengeance
5. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
(a) Jerry Cruncher
(b) The Vengeance
(c) The owner of Tellson's Bank
(d) Citizen and Citizeness Defarge
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
2. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
3. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
4. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
5. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the evidence that the Tribunal has against Charles?
2. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
3. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
4. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
5. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
6. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
7. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
8. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
9. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
10. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)