|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
(a) They are preparing for an invasion.
(b) They are killing the prisoners.
(c) They are sharpening weapons for the king's soldiers.
(d) They are slaughtering cattle.
2. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(c) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(d) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
3. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Sharp Razor
(b) My Little Shaver
(c) My Little Guillotine
(d) My Dear Livelihood
4. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
(a) A rock thrown at the window
(b) A rap on the door
(c) A drum in the distance
(d) Footsteps on the stairs
5. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) He is grateful that he still has a job.
(b) He is grateful that he has not been taken prisoner.
(c) He is grateful that none of his loved ones are in Paris.
(d) He is grateful that he is leaving Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
2. Why do Lucie and Charles not hire a housekeeper?
3. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
4. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
5. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
2. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
3. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
4. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
5. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
6. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
7. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
8. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
9. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
10. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)