|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Lucie and Charles not hire a housekeeper?
(a) They are not rich and they fear domestic spies.
(b) Little Lucie does all the housekeeping chores.
(c) They prefer to live in seclusion.
(d) Lucie enjoys housekeeping.
2. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
(a) Hanging in two weeks
(b) Prison for life
(d) Death within 24 hours
3. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that he has been captured.
(b) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
(c) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
(d) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
4. How many death carts head toward La Guillotine?
5. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She was actually born in England.
(b) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
(c) She has an English stepsister.
(d) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
2. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
3. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
4. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
5. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
2. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
3. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
4. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
5. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
6. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
7. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
8. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
9. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
10. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)