|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words continue to repeat in Carton's mind as he wanders the streets throughout the night?
(a) Father forgive them.
(b) I am who I am.
(c) I am the resurrection and the life.
(d) Though we walk through the shadows of death
2. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
3. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
(a) Doctor Manette's and Lucie's lodgings
(b) The wine shop
(c) La Guillotine
(d) Tullsen's Bank
4. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
(a) Miss Pross is stabbed.
(b) Madame Defarge is shot.
(c) Madame Defarge is stabbed.
(d) Miss Pross is shot.
5. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
(a) They are killing the prisoners.
(b) They are sharpening weapons for the king's soldiers.
(c) They are slaughtering cattle.
(d) They are preparing for an invasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
2. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
3. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
4. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
5. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
2. Describe the evidence that the Tribunal has against Charles?
3. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
4. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
5. Describe the Carmagnole.
6. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
7. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
8. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
9. Explain why Mr. Lorry is shocked at the sight of Jerry Cruncher.
10. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)