|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
(a) Footsteps on the stairs
(b) A rock thrown at the window
(c) A drum in the distance
(d) A rap on the door
2. What does Madame Defarge find when she reaches her destination?
(a) The place is in disarray, as if someone left hastily.
(b) The floors are covered in blood.
(c) There are two dead bodies on the floor.
(d) The place is crowded with Republicans.
3. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(b) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(c) Many citizens are leaving France.
(d) People do not go out of their houses.
4. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
(a) Doctor Manette
5. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction when Jerry admits that he was once a gravedigger?
(a) Mr. Lorry is shocked and disgusted.
(b) Mr. Lorry understands Jerry's circumstances.
(c) Mr. Lorry sympathizes with Jerry.
(d) Mr. Lorry is not surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
2. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
3. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
4. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
5. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
2. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
3. Explain why Mr. Lorry is shocked at the sight of Jerry Cruncher.
4. Describe the result of the encounter between Miss Pross and Madame Defarge.
5. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
6. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
7. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
8. Describe the Carmagnole.
9. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
10. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)