|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
(a) A golden idol of the new king
(b) A silver sword
(d) La Guillotine
2. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
(a) The Bastille
(b) A safe house
(c) His wine shop
(d) Prison of La Force
3. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
(a) Footsteps on the stairs
(b) A drum in the distance
(c) A rap on the door
(d) A rock thrown at the window
4. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Mr. Carton is missing.
(b) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
(c) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
(d) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
5. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(b) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
(c) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(d) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
2. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
3. Who are the two witnesses Darnay names in his behalf?
4. What does Little Lucie recall later in her life that Carton said to Lucie while she was unconscious?
5. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
3. Describe the Carmagnole.
4. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
5. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
6. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
7. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
8. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
9. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
10. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)