|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
(b) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(c) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(d) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
2. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
3. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
(a) A vile of poison
(b) A flag of the Republic
(c) Her knitting
(d) A pistol and a dagger
4. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
(a) A drum in the distance
(b) A rock thrown at the window
(c) A rap on the door
(d) Footsteps on the stairs
5. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(b) Calling to Lucie
(c) Holding the hand of a young girl
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
2. What does Madame Defarge find when she reaches her destination?
3. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
4. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
5. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the result of the encounter between Miss Pross and Madame Defarge.
2. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
3. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
4. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
5. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
6. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
7. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
8. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
9. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
10. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)