|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
(a) She comes to the prison disguised as a fruit vendor.
(b) She stands outside the prison dressed in leper's robes.
(c) She comes to the prison after dark so he can see her.
(d) She stands outside at three in the afternoon and he will be able to see her.
2. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(b) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
3. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
(a) Her husband was murdered during the night.
(b) Her husband is deathly ill.
(c) Her husband goes before the Tribunal the next day.
(d) Her husband escaped that morning.
4. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
(a) Write of the fear she sees in his face
(b) Write about the blank stare in his eyes
(c) Write the prophecies she sees in his eyes
(d) Write about the pain in his face
5. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
(a) Masks of white powder
(b) Wild boar heads over their faces
(c) Burlap bags over their faces
(d) False eyebrows and false eyelashes
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
2. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
3. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
4. What becomes of the first fifteen prisoners to go in front of the Tribunal before Charles?
5. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
2. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
3. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
4. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
5. Describe why Madame Defarge goes to visit Lucie.
6. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
7. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
8. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
9. Explain why Mr. Lorry is shocked at the sight of Jerry Cruncher.
10. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)