|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame Defarge find when she reaches her destination?
(a) The floors are covered in blood.
(b) There are two dead bodies on the floor.
(c) The place is crowded with Republicans.
(d) The place is in disarray, as if someone left hastily.
2. What words continue to repeat in Carton's mind as he wanders the streets throughout the night?
(a) I am the resurrection and the life.
(b) Though we walk through the shadows of death
(c) Father forgive them.
(d) I am who I am.
3. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction when Jerry admits that he was once a gravedigger?
(a) Mr. Lorry is not surprised.
(b) Mr. Lorry is shocked and disgusted.
(c) Mr. Lorry sympathizes with Jerry.
(d) Mr. Lorry understands Jerry's circumstances.
4. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
(a) The North Tower and his shoemaking tools are destroyed.
(b) He finds a new career.
(c) He moves away from Paris.
(d) He keeps his promise to Lucie.
5. What is Darnay's first impression of the imprisoned men and women?
(a) They appear cheerful and well fed.
(b) They appear helpful to each other.
(c) He sees hope in their eyes.
(d) He sees them as ghosts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
2. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
3. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
4. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
5. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Explain why Mr. Lorry is shocked at the sight of Jerry Cruncher.
3. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
4. Describe the Carmagnole.
5. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
6. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
7. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
8. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
9. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
10. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)