|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
(a) La Guillotine
(b) A silver sword
(c) A golden idol of the new king
2. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Mr. Carton is missing.
(b) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
(c) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
(d) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
3. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
(b) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
(c) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(d) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
4. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
(a) Travel with a caravan of immigrants.
(b) Travel with soldiers.
(c) Travel with an escort.
(d) Travel alone, during the night.
5. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Dear Livelihood
(b) My Little Shaver
(c) My Sharp Razor
(d) My Little Guillotine
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
2. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
3. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
4. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
5. What does Darnay tell Doctor Manette about the evidence brought against him in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
3. Describe who makes up the Tribunal of Charles' trial.
4. Summarize the reaction of the crowd at the innocent verdict for Charles.
5. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
6. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
7. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
8. Describe the Carmagnole.
9. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
10. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)