|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Darnay's first impression of the imprisoned men and women?
(a) He sees hope in their eyes.
(b) They appear cheerful and well fed.
(c) They appear helpful to each other.
(d) He sees them as ghosts.
2. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Monsieur Lafarge
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Sydney Carton
3. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
(a) An incriminating weapon with Charles' initials imprinted on it
(b) A letter written in the prison of the Bastille
(c) An eyewitness
(d) A traitorous letter written by Charles
4. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
(a) Two weeks
(b) One year and three months
(c) Two years
(d) Six months
5. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
(a) Write about the pain in his face
(b) Write the prophecies she sees in his eyes
(c) Write about the blank stare in his eyes
(d) Write of the fear she sees in his face
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
2. What does Carton purchase after talking to the wood-sawyer?
3. What does Carton believe will happen to Charles?
4. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
5. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Carton does when he visits Charles in prison.
2. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
3. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
4. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
5. Describe the evidence that the Tribunal has against Charles?
6. Describe why Madame Defarge goes to visit Lucie.
7. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
8. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
9. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
10. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)