|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(b) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(c) The death of her own husband
(d) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
2. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
(a) She stands outside the prison dressed in leper's robes.
(b) She comes to the prison disguised as a fruit vendor.
(c) She comes to the prison after dark so he can see her.
(d) She stands outside at three in the afternoon and he will be able to see her.
3. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He writes a letter to his wife.
(c) He paces the floor, counting the cell's measurement.
(d) He writes a letter to Mr. Lorry.
4. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(a) Holding the hand of a young girl
(c) Calling to Lucie
5. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(c) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(d) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Doctor Manette go to see after delivering his news to Lucie?
2. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
3. Who makes up the Tribunal?
4. Why do Lucie and Charles not hire a housekeeper?
5. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
2. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
3. What is Doctor Manette's reaction to Charles' acquittal?
4. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
5. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
6. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
7. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
8. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
9. How does Lucie make herself known to Charles each day?
10. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)