|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
2. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
(a) The wine shop
(b) La Guillotine
(c) Doctor Manette's and Lucie's lodgings
(d) Tullsen's Bank
3. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Defarge says nothing.
(b) Defarge says that he will be glad to send Lorry a message.
(c) Defarge says that he will deliver the message himself.
(d) Defarge says that he will do nothing for Charles.
4. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Little Guillotine
(b) My Little Shaver
(c) My Sharp Razor
(d) My Dear Livelihood
5. What does Madame Defarge find when she reaches her destination?
(a) The place is in disarray, as if someone left hastily.
(b) The floors are covered in blood.
(c) The place is crowded with Republicans.
(d) There are two dead bodies on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
2. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
3. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
4. What does Little Lucie recall later in her life that Carton said to Lucie while she was unconscious?
5. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
2. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
3. Describe the result of the encounter between Miss Pross and Madame Defarge.
4. Summarize the thoughts of the people on the night after Carton's execution.
5. Explain why Mr. Lorry is shocked at the sight of Jerry Cruncher.
6. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
7. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
8. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
9. Describe how La Guillotine is used as a symbol of the patriots.
10. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)