|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) Lucie and her father
(b) Miss Pross
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Defarge
(d) Charles Darnay
2. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
(b) She has an English stepsister.
(c) She was actually born in England.
(d) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
3. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
(a) Getting Solomon drunk
(b) Returning him to England
(c) A hand of cards
(d) The threat of La Guillotine
4. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Monsieur Lafarge
(b) Sydney Carton
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Mr. Lorry
5. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
(b) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
(c) Lucie and Miss Pross
(d) Doctor Manette and Lucie
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
2. What is the physical appearance of the men and women sharpening weapons in the courtyard?
3. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
4. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
5. What does Madame Defarge find when she reaches her destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Carmagnole.
2. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
3. Describe the one thing that Monsieur Defarge does not agree with about his wife's thinking.
4. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
5. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
6. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
7. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
8. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
9. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
10. Summarize the contents of the note Charles sends to Lucie.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)