|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
(b) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
(c) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(d) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
2. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(b) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
3. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
(a) Solomon will arrange to release Darnay.
(b) Carton can gain access to Darnay.
(c) Carton will smuggle a weapon to Darnay.
(d) Solomon will unlock Darnay's cell.
4. Who does Doctor Manette go to see after delivering his news to Lucie?
(a) The Vengeance
(b) Monsieur Defarge
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Miss Pross
5. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Mr. Carton is missing.
(b) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
(c) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
(d) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
2. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
3. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
4. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
5. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carton manage to convince Solomon to help him see Charles in prison?
2. How does Doctor Manette manage to communicate messages between Charles and Lucie?
3. Describe what Little Lucie remembers about Sydney Carton years later.
4. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
5. Describe the reaction of the crowd in the courtyard have toward Doctor Manette when he reveals who he is.
6. There is a knock on Doctor Manette's door. Who is knocking and what is their purpose?
7. How does Carton help the seamstress who is being executed before him?
8. What do Carton and Lorry discuss about the fate of Charles?
9. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
10. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)