|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 22
What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
(a) Eat grass
(b) Ask for mercy
(c) Beg for food
(d) Steal bread from the rich
2. Chapter 23
How do the common people of France feel about the aristocracy?
(a) They believe the aristocracy has squeezed everything they can from the common people.
(b) They believe the aristocracy is their only hope for survival.
(c) They have faith in the aristocracy.
(d) They believe the aristocracy will share their wealth with them.
3. Chapter 13
How does Sydney Carton feel when he visits the Manettes?
(a) Grumpy and argumentative
(c) Despondent and morose
(d) Serious and stern
4. Chapter 11
What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
(a) He is joining the King's guard.
(b) He intends to marry Miss Pross.
(c) He intends to marry Lucie.
(d) He is moving to Paris.
5. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
(a) Mr. Barsard
(b) Mr. Lorry
(c) Mr. Stryver
(d) Mr. Carton
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the punishment for forgers, thieves, and counterfeiters?
2. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
3. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
4. Chapter 3 What does Jerry ponder that every house, room, and heart in a city holds?
5. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
2. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
3. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
4. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
5. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
6. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
7. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
8. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
9. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
10. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)