|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 1
Describe Tellson's Bank.
(a) A moderate sized bank with shiny floors
(b) A large bank with huge oak doors
(c) A large, austere bank
(d) A tiny place with dingy windows
2. Chapter 16
Who is the spy that is commissioned for Defarge's neighborhood?
(a) Charles Darnay
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) John Barsard
(d) Roger Cly
3. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
(a) They are life long friends.
(b) They are mysteries to each other.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are business partners.
4. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
(a) Carton accepts the advice with grace.
(b) Carton finds him offensive.
(c) Carton is thankful for the advice.
(d) Carton seriously considers the advice.
5. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
(b) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
(c) He thought about the child he had never seen.
(d) He thought about escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 10 What does Charles Darnay choose as a career?
2. Why are families in England cautioned to put their furniture in storage if they travel out of town?
3. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
4. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
5. What is a typical condition of the common people in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. An escort is forced upon Charles when he enters France. Where does this escort bring him?
2. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
3. Describe Mr. Lorry's first business consideration with regard to Tellson's Bank.
4. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
5. What is the verdict for Charles in this second trial?
6. Explain why Mr. Lorry is horrified to look out the window of Tellson's Bank.
7. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
8. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
9. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
10. Chapter 21 What is the golden thread that Dickens uses in the first paragraph of this chapter?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)