|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does the spy relate to Defarge?
(a) Dr. Manette's daughter is to marry Carton.
(b) Gaspard's body was thrown in the river.
(c) Dr. Manette's daughter is to marry Stryver.
(d) Lucie is to be married to Charles Darnay.
2. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
(a) To learn how to speak French
(b) To move away from the area
(c) To find a better career
(d) To find a respectable woman who owns property
3. How many people does Miss Pross tell Mr. Lorry come calling for Miss Lucie?
4. Chapter 2
What is the name of the hill that the Dover mail carriage is struggling to climb through the mud?
(a) Shooter's Hill
(b) Tellson's Hill
(c) Dover Hill
(d) Dover Rise
5. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
(a) It continues on but with less corruption.
(b) Its loyal subjects make it thrive.
(c) It lives on, oppressing the common people.
(d) It is gone altogether.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
2. Chapter 9 How does Charles Darnay react to dining with Marquis Evremonde?
3. Who does odd jobs for Tellson's Bank?
4. What does Lucie pray as she watches her father sleep?
5. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
2. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
3. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
4. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
5. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
6. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
7. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
8. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
9. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
10. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)