|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
(a) He tells him that he doesn't agree with the advice.
(b) He thanks Mr. Lorry, asking him not to mention it again.
(c) Stryver tells Lorry that he is an empty-headed scoundrel.
(d) Stryver tells Lorry that he never wants to see him again.
2. Who does Charles Darnay find attractive?
(a) Miss Pross
(b) Mrs. Defarge
(c) Lucie Manette
(d) Miss Lorry
3. What does it mean when Defarge and his followers register the inhabitants of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) Add them to the list of wine deliveries
(b) Add them as favorite customers
(c) Invite them to the yearly wine tasting
(d) Mark them for death
4. Chapter 5
What do most men do as a pastime during the time the story is taking place?
(a) Drink heavily
(b) Play cards
(c) Play chess
(d) Go for long walks
5. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
(a) Manette is relieved that Lucie is gone.
(b) Manette seems too happy.
(c) Manette seems overjoyed.
(d) Manette looks like he was struck with a poisoned blow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
2. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
3. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
4. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
5. Chapter 18 What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
2. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
3. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
4. Chapter 21 What is the golden thread that Dickens uses in the first paragraph of this chapter?
5. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
6. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
7. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
8. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
9. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
10. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)