|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucie pray as she watches her father sleep?
(a) She prays that he will let her get on with her own life.
(b) She prays that he will never die.
(c) She prays that she will be a good daughter.
(d) She prays that she can always be true to him.
2. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
(a) He tells him that he doesn't agree with the advice.
(b) He thanks Mr. Lorry, asking him not to mention it again.
(c) Stryver tells Lorry that he never wants to see him again.
(d) Stryver tells Lorry that he is an empty-headed scoundrel.
3. What does Charles decide to do about his future inheritance?
(a) He decides to take his inheritance and move away.
(b) He plans to use his inheritance to further his social standing.
(c) He makes plans to spend his inheritance.
(d) He denounces it.
4. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) It deteriorates through the years.
(b) It becomes a convent.
(c) It is reconstructed by the common people.
(d) It burns to the ground.
5. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
(a) A gravestone
(b) A job
(c) A pair of shoes
(d) A warm meal
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
2. Chapter 14 What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
3. Chapter 5 What are dozens of Parisians sipping off the ground before it soaks into the earth?
4. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
5. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 17 How does Doctor Manette feel about Lucie's marriage?
2. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
3. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
4. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
5. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
6. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
7. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
8. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
9. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
10. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)