|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
(a) He approves of the plans.
(b) He laughs in Stryver's face.
(c) He advises against the plans.
(d) He is not interested in the plans.
2. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He goes on a vacation with Mr. Lorry.
(b) He goes to a medical conference in London.
(c) He goes to visit the newlyweds.
(d) He goes for a hike in the mountains.
3. Who does Dickens describe as the idlest and most unpromising man?
(a) Sydney Carton
(b) Charles Darnay
(c) Mr. Stryver
(d) Doctor Manette
4. What is the year the story is taking place?
5. Chapter 9
How does Charles Darnay react to dining with Marquis Evremonde?
(a) Charles enjoys the pleasant conversations with the Marquis.
(b) Charles considers it an unpleasant encounter.
(c) Charles always looks foreword to dining with the Marquis.
(d) Charles enjoys the meal thoroughly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carton confess to Lucie when he visits her?
2. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
3. Chapter 11 What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
4. What does it mean when Defarge and his followers register the inhabitants of the Marquis' chateau?
5. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
2. Chapter 2 Describe the sentence of quartering, which is the punishment for treason.
3. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
4. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
5. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
6. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
7. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
8. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
9. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
10. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)