|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
(a) Mr. Carton
(b) Mr. Barsard
(c) Mr. Stryver
(d) Mr. Lorry
2. What does Carton confess to Lucie when he visits her?
(a) He will never give up trying to get her.
(b) He is stupid and foolhardy.
(c) He is saddened by his love for Miss Pross.
(d) He is inspired by his love for her.
3. What is the fate of old Foulon?
(a) The crowd stuffs grass in his mouth, pummels him, drags him, stabs him, and hangs him.
(b) He dies of starvation.
(c) He is killed by wild animals in the wilderness.
(d) He falls into the river and drowns.
4. What is the first thing Doctor Manette recognizes about his daughter?
(a) Her lips
(b) The shape of her mouth
(c) Her hair
(d) Her eyes
5. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
(a) It is gone altogether.
(b) It lives on, oppressing the common people.
(c) Its loyal subjects make it thrive.
(d) It continues on but with less corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
2. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
3. Chapter 11 What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
4. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
5. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
2. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
3. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
4. Chapter 18 Describe the great concern Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry have for Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding.
5. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
6. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
7. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
8. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
9. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
10. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)