|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 10
What does Charles Darnay choose as a career?
(a) A soldier for the King
(b) A wine master
(c) A tutor of French literature and language
(d) A foreign diplomat
2. What does the newlywed's visitor ask of Charles?
(a) He asks for a loan.
(b) He asks for French lessons.
(c) He asks to be his friend.
(d) He asks for a recommendation to Cambridge.
3. What steps does Foulon take to protect himself from the revolutionaries?
(a) He leaves the country.
(b) He lives in a cave.
(c) He hides in the mountains.
(d) He stages his own death.
4. What is a typical condition of the common people in France?
5. Chapter 16
Who is the spy that is commissioned for Defarge's neighborhood?
(a) John Barsard
(b) Charles Darnay
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Roger Cly
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carton say he would do for Lucie and anyone dear to her?
2. What is the prisoner's reaction as he waits before the large crowd to be tried?
3. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
4. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
5. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
2. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
3. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
4. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
5. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
6. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
7. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
8. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
9. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
10. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)