|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 1
Describe Tellson's Bank.
(a) A moderate sized bank with shiny floors
(b) A large, austere bank
(c) A large bank with huge oak doors
(d) A tiny place with dingy windows
2. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
(a) They are business partners.
(b) They are life long friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are mysteries to each other.
3. Chapter 4
Who does the acquitted prisoner dine with after the trial?
(a) Mr. Carton
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Mr. Stryver
4. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
(a) Defarge tells the grieving man that he now has one less mouth to feed.
(b) Defarge tells the grieving man that his child is in heaven now.
(c) Defarge tells the grieving man that he can have other children.
(d) Defarge tells the grieving man that the child is better off dying without pain than living a life full of pain.
5. Chapter 10
What does Charles Darnay choose as a career?
(a) A tutor of French literature and language
(b) A foreign diplomat
(c) A soldier for the King
(d) A wine master
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
2. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
3. Chapter 23 How do the common people of France feel about the aristocracy?
4. Chapter 16 Who is the spy that is commissioned for Defarge's neighborhood?
5. What does Lucie pray as she watches her father sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
2. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
3. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
4. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
5. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
6. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
7. Chapter 17 How does Doctor Manette feel about Lucie's marriage?
8. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
9. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
10. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)