|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 3
What does Jerry ponder that every house, room, and heart in a city holds?
(a) Happy families
(b) Its own secret
(c) Smiling children
(d) Sad families
2. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She cuts off his head.
(b) She cheers.
(c) She turns and runs away.
(d) She screams at the sight.
3. Who is guarding the Marquis' countryside chateau?
(d) Doctor Manette
4. How many people does Miss Pross tell Mr. Lorry come calling for Miss Lucie?
5. What does Jerry's son tell him later in the evening?
(a) He is going to the authorities about Jerry's secret trade.
(b) He wants to follow in his father's footsteps.
(c) He is going to tell his mother what Jerry is up to.
(d) He is going to tell everyone what Jerry's secret trade is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship Carton has with Stryver?
2. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
3. Chapter 16 Who is the spy that is commissioned for Defarge's neighborhood?
4. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
5. What does it mean when Defarge and his followers register the inhabitants of the Marquis' chateau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 21 What is the golden thread that Dickens uses in the first paragraph of this chapter?
2. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
3. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
4. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
5. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
6. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
7. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
8. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
9. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
10. Chapter 24 Summarize what is written in the letter that Charles Darnay receives from his Uncle's servant, Gabelle.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)