|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 11
What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
(a) He intends to marry Lucie.
(b) He is joining the King's guard.
(c) He is moving to Paris.
(d) He intends to marry Miss Pross.
2. Chapter 14
What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
(a) He is a spy.
(b) He is a sheep smuggler.
(c) He is a bandit.
(d) He is a grave robber.
3. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
(a) Mr. Stryver
(b) Mr. Barsard
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Mr. Carton
4. Chapter 18
What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
(a) Deathly pale
(b) Nervous and fidgety
(c) Excited but nervous
(d) Vibrant and happy
5. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about the child he had never seen.
(b) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
(c) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
(d) He thought about escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
2. What does the newlywed's visitor ask of Charles?
3. What is the first thing Doctor Manette recognizes about his daughter?
4. What are Mr. Carton's feelings toward Charles Darnay?
5. What is the year the story is taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
2. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
3. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
4. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
5. Chapter 4 Describe the look that Doctor Manette gives to Charles Darnay as they stand together after the trial.
6. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
7. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
8. Describe the Carmagnole.
9. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
10. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)