|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about escape.
(b) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
(c) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
(d) He thought about the child he had never seen.
2. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He goes to a medical conference in London.
(b) He goes on a vacation with Mr. Lorry.
(c) He goes for a hike in the mountains.
(d) He goes to visit the newlyweds.
3. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are business partners.
(c) They are mysteries to each other.
(d) They are life long friends.
4. What is the first thing Doctor Manette recognizes about his daughter?
(a) Her lips
(b) Her eyes
(c) The shape of her mouth
(d) Her hair
5. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
(a) The world is for all the people.
(b) The earth's riches are for the downtrodden.
(c) The world is for the wild animals.
(d) The earth and its fullness are his.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles Darnay find attractive?
2. What is in the letter that Gabelle sends to Charles Darnay?
3. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
4. Chapter 4 Who visits Lorry the day after he arrives at the Royal George Hotel?
5. What is the name of the intruder who stops at the mail carriage, asking for Mr. Jarvis Lorry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
2. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
3. What are the three letters Charles writes from prison before his scheduled execution, and who does he forget?
4. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
5. Summarize the description Carton gives of Mr. Lorry and how people will feel about him when he is gone.
6. Describe how the patriots of France look upon Charles Darnay.
7. Explain why Sydney Carton decides to walk around the city, making his presence known.
8. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
9. Describe the Carmagnole.
10. Describe the reaction of Miss Pross when she sees her brother in the marketplace.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)