|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucie request of her husband regarding Mr. Carton?
(a) She asks that he never speak to Mr. Carton again.
(b) She asks him to give Mr. Carton a job.
(c) She asks him to pay Carton to go away.
(d) She asks that he disregard Mr. Carton's faults.
2. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
(a) They are business partners.
(b) They are life long friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are mysteries to each other.
3. What does Lucie pray as she watches her father sleep?
(a) She prays that he will let her get on with her own life.
(b) She prays that she can always be true to him.
(c) She prays that she will be a good daughter.
(d) She prays that he will never die.
4. What does Jerry's son tell him later in the evening?
(a) He is going to tell his mother what Jerry is up to.
(b) He wants to follow in his father's footsteps.
(c) He is going to tell everyone what Jerry's secret trade is.
(d) He is going to the authorities about Jerry's secret trade.
5. Chapter 17
Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
(a) She is happy that she is to go to Cambridge.
(b) She is happy that they are moving away from Soho.
(c) She is happy that her father is finally well and healthy.
(d) She is happy for the love Heaven has bestowed on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 6 What is Doctor Manette doing for a living which is far below a medical practice?
2. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
3. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
4. Chapter 18 What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
5. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
2. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
3. Chapter 3 Describe what Jerry is thinking as he looks upon the city during the night.
4. Chapter 22 Describe the fate of the old aristocrat, Foulon.
5. Chapter 12 Explain Stryver's final decision about his marriage proposal to Lucie and his reaction to it.
6. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
7. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
8. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
9. Chapter 21 What is the golden thread that Dickens uses in the first paragraph of this chapter?
10. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)