|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
(a) Defarge tells the grieving man that he can have other children.
(b) Defarge tells the grieving man that the child is better off dying without pain than living a life full of pain.
(c) Defarge tells the grieving man that he now has one less mouth to feed.
(d) Defarge tells the grieving man that his child is in heaven now.
2. What is the condition of Doctor Manette at this time?
(a) He is senile and grumpy.
(b) He is gradually becoming well.
(c) He remains weak and sickly.
(d) He is fully recovered and energetic.
3. Chapter 4
Who visits Lorry the day after he arrives at the Royal George Hotel?
(a) Miss Pross
(c) Mr. Tellson
(d) Miss Lucie Manette
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
(a) They are mysteries to each other.
(b) They are life long friends.
(c) They are business partners.
(d) They are cousins.
5. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
(a) Will meet you for tea
(b) The end is near.
(c) Send someone for my bags.
(d) Recalled to life
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the news that Lorry gives to his visitor?
2. What does Lucie request of her husband regarding Mr. Carton?
3. Chapter 17 Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
4. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
5. Chapter 18 What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter3 Explain why Charles Darnay is acquitted of his accused crime.
2. Chapter 11 How does Stryver describe Carton's future prospects?
3. Chapter 23 Summarize what becomes of the Chateau Evremonde where Gabelle still resides.
4. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
5. Chapter 20 Explain the request Sydney Carton makes of Charles Darnay while at the home of Doctor Manette.
6. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
7. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
8. Chapter 5 Describe the condition of the common people in France.
9. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
10. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)