|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the letter that Gabelle sends to Charles Darnay?
(a) A request for a new home
(b) A request that Charles rescue him from prison
(c) A request for money
(d) A request for employment
2. Chapter 1
What is the physical appearance of the Kings and Queens of England and France?
(a) The kings are stout and the queens are thin.
(b) The kings have large jaws and the queens have plain faces
(c) The kings are short and the queens are obese.
(d) The kings have large noses and the queens have big mouths.
3. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
(a) A warm meal
(b) A job
(c) A pair of shoes
(d) A gravestone
4. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
(a) They are business partners.
(b) They are life long friends.
(c) They are mysteries to each other.
(d) They are cousins.
5. Where does Mr. Lorry decide to relocate?
(a) He decides to move to Wales.
(b) He decides to move to Scotland.
(c) He decides to move to France.
(d) He decides to move to Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 21 What is the grief that strikes the Darnay household?
2. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
3. Who owns a prosperous wine shop in Paris?
4. Chapter 4 Who does the acquitted prisoner dine with after the trial?
5. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 15 Explain the meaning of registering the chateau and all its descendants.
2. Chapter 21 What is the golden thread that Dickens uses in the first paragraph of this chapter?
3. Chapter 8 Summarize the comment Defarge makes to the grieving father who holds his dead child in his hands.
4. Chapter 16 What does Monsieur Defarge say to his wife in a pleading voice about Lucie Manette's husband?
5. Chapter 13 Summarize Carton's final comments to Lucie in this chapter.
6. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
7. Chapter 18 Describe the great concern Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry have for Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding.
8. Chapter 1 Give a description of Tellson's Bank.
9. Chapter 17 How does Doctor Manette feel about Lucie's marriage?
10. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)