|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She screams at the sight.
(b) She cheers.
(c) She turns and runs away.
(d) She cuts off his head.
2. Chapter 3
What does Jerry ponder that every house, room, and heart in a city holds?
(a) Happy families
(b) Sad families
(c) Its own secret
(d) Smiling children
3. Chapter 12
Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
(a) He visits Lorry to tell him the latest gossip.
(b) He visits Lorry to invite him out for a drink.
(c) He visits Lorry to tell him about his upcoming plans.
(d) He visits Lorry to invite him on vacation with him.
4. What does Charles decide to do about his future inheritance?
(a) He denounces it.
(b) He plans to use his inheritance to further his social standing.
(c) He makes plans to spend his inheritance.
(d) He decides to take his inheritance and move away.
5. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about the child he had never seen.
(b) He thought about escape.
(c) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
(d) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 14 What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
2. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
3. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
4. What is the year the story is taking place?
5. What does Lucie request of her husband regarding Mr. Carton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 6 Summarize the physical and emotional state of Doctor Manette.
2. Chapter 7 Describe the cold heartedness of Marquis Evremonde in this chapter.
3. Chapter 9 What suspicions does Charles have about his near-death encounter in England?
4. Chapter 6 Analyze how the title of the chapter relates to Carton's musings.
5. Chapter 1 Describe what families living in England in 1775 do if they travel away from their homes?
6. Chapter 5 Describe the metaphorical relationship between Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton.
7. Chapter 10 What is Charles Darnay's purpose in visiting Doctor Manette?
8. Chapter 4 Summarize the news Mr. Lorry bring to Lucie and her reaction to the message.
9. Chapter 14 Describe Jerry Cruncher's disreputable occupation.
10. Chapter 19 What does Mr. Lorry decide will be beneficial to Doctor Manette's mental condition?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)