|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
(a) He deserves to die.
(b) Give him some peace.
(c) He will die in pain.
(d) Death to the aristocrat
2. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
(a) Her husband escaped that morning.
(b) Her husband is deathly ill.
(c) Her husband was murdered during the night.
(d) Her husband goes before the Tribunal the next day.
3. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
(a) They seem too happy.
(b) Their lust for blood
(c) Their ignorance
(d) Their dreadful manner
4. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(b) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
5. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
(a) Papers condemning the doctor and Lucie
(b) Papers condemning Charles
(c) Papers denying safe passage out of France
(d) Papers that allow safe passage out of France
6. What is Darnay's first impression of the imprisoned men and women?
(a) He sees hope in their eyes.
(b) They appear helpful to each other.
(c) He sees them as ghosts.
(d) They appear cheerful and well fed.
7. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
(a) She comes to the prison after dark so he can see her.
(b) She comes to the prison disguised as a fruit vendor.
(c) She stands outside the prison dressed in leper's robes.
(d) She stands outside at three in the afternoon and he will be able to see her.
8. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(c) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
(d) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
9. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) Lucie and her father
(b) Charles Darnay
(c) Miss Pross
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Defarge
10. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
(a) It puts the bank in peril.
(b) Lucie is uncomfortable.
(c) Lucie can be easily found.
(d) Lorry will lose his job.
11. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
(a) He will escape through the trap door.
(b) He will be executed in Charles' place.
(c) He will wait for Charles to reach safety, then escape.
(d) He will declare his true identity at La Guillotine.
12. What does Carton tell Mr. Lorry about taking Lucie, her father, and her daughter out of Paris?
(a) He tells Lorry not to delay the trip for any reason.
(b) He tells Lorry to leave the doctor behind if it is necessary.
(c) He tells Lorry to stay in Paris if the trip seems too dangerous.
(d) He tells Lorry to delay the trip if something goes wrong.
13. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
(a) Travel with an escort.
(b) Travel with a caravan of immigrants.
(c) Travel alone, during the night.
(d) Travel with soldiers.
14. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(b) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
(c) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
(d) The doctor says that he has been captured.
15. What do the people of the city have to say about Sydney Carton's execution at La Guillotine?
(a) He is the most prayerful of all the executed.
(b) He is the most fearful of all the condemned.
(c) He is the most peaceful man ever to be executed.
(d) He is the most hysterical man ever to face La Guillotine
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
2. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
3. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
4. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
5. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)