|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
(b) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
2. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
(b) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
(c) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(d) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
3. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
(a) His sister, Miss Pross
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) The Vengeance
4. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
(a) She screams.
(b) She faints.
(c) She scratches at her eyes.
(d) She pulls her hair hysterically.
5. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
(a) Charles doesn't know any of the people living in Paris now.
(b) Everything about France is suddenly completely changed and unfair.
(c) . Charles has forgotten a lot of the French language.
(d) The streets have all been reworked and changed.
6. What does Madame Defarge find when she reaches her destination?
(a) The place is crowded with Republicans.
(b) There are two dead bodies on the floor.
(c) The floors are covered in blood.
(d) The place is in disarray, as if someone left hastily.
7. What becomes of the first fifteen prisoners to go in front of the Tribunal before Charles?
(a) All are sent beck to their cells.
(b) They are all condemned.
(c) Half are condemned and half set free.
(d) All are released.
8. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Sydney Carton
(b) Mr. Lorry
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Monsieur Lafarge
9. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
(a) He is to be quartered.
(b) He is returned to prison.
(c) He is sent to La Guillotine.
(d) He is found innocent and released.
10. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
(b) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
(c) Mr. Carton is missing.
(d) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
11. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
(a) Madame Defarge is shot.
(b) Miss Pross is stabbed.
(c) Madame Defarge is stabbed.
(d) Miss Pross is shot.
12. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
(a) A letter written in the prison of the Bastille
(b) A traitorous letter written by Charles
(c) An eyewitness
(d) An incriminating weapon with Charles' initials imprinted on it
13. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Lucie and Miss Pross
(b) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
(c) Doctor Manette and Lucie
(d) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
14. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
(a) Wild boar heads over their faces
(b) Burlap bags over their faces
(c) False eyebrows and false eyelashes
(d) Masks of white powder
15. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
(a) Mr. Lorry
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Sydney Carton
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
2. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
3. What is the new mode of address decreed by the patriots?
4. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
5. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)