|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
(a) One year and three months
(b) Two weeks
(c) Six months
(d) Two years
2. What does Darnay tell Doctor Manette about the evidence brought against him in court?
(a) He tells Manette not to feel guilty about it.
(b) He tells Manette that Lucie will never forgive him.
(c) He tells Manette that he was a fool to write the letter.
(d) He tells Manette that the conviction is his entire fault.
3. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
(a) He will die in pain.
(b) He deserves to die.
(c) Give him some peace.
(d) Death to the aristocrat
4. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction when Jerry admits that he was once a gravedigger?
(a) Mr. Lorry is not surprised.
(b) Mr. Lorry sympathizes with Jerry.
(c) Mr. Lorry understands Jerry's circumstances.
(d) Mr. Lorry is shocked and disgusted.
5. Who makes up the Tribunal?
(a) One judge and a jury
(b) Five judges, public prosecutor, and a jury
(c) Five judges and a jury
(d) Three judges and a public prosecutor
6. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
(a) The spy, Roger Cly
(b) The spy, Barsard
(c) Stryver of Old Bailey
(d) Mr. Attorney General
7. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
(a) He moves away from Paris.
(b) He finds a new career.
(c) The North Tower and his shoemaking tools are destroyed.
(d) He keeps his promise to Lucie.
8. Where does Sydney Carton stop on the morning after Charles' trial?
(a) The prison
(b) Jerry Cruncher's lodgings
(c) The Defarge's wine shop
(d) La Guillotine
9. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
(a) Doctor Manette
(c) Sydney Carton
(d) Mr. Lorry
10. What does Little Lucie recall later in her life that Carton said to Lucie while she was unconscious?
(a) A life you love
(b) Take care
(c) I will never forget you
(d) Be happy
11. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
(a) Doctor Manette
(c) His sister, Miss Pross
(d) The Vengeance
12. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
(a) Her husband goes before the Tribunal the next day.
(b) Her husband was murdered during the night.
(c) Her husband is deathly ill.
(d) Her husband escaped that morning.
13. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
(b) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
(c) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
(d) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
14. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
(a) Don't grieve
(b) Grieve now and never again
(c) Help Lucie to accept the circumstances
(d) Help Lucie to grieve
15. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
(a) Ask the Defarge's to take back their testimony.
(b) Change shoes and clothes with him.
(c) Beg the prison guard for mercy.
(d) Pray for him while waiting for execution.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
2. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
3. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
4. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
5. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)