|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
(a) The king is imprisoned for life.
(b) The king is tried, doomed, and beheaded.
(c) The king escapes to England for safety.
(d) The king is exile.
2. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Defarge says that he will do nothing for Charles.
(b) Defarge says that he will be glad to send Lorry a message.
(c) Defarge says nothing.
(d) Defarge says that he will deliver the message himself.
3. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
4. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
(a) The spy, Barsard
(b) The spy, Roger Cly
(c) Mr. Attorney General
(d) Stryver of Old Bailey
5. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Lucie and Miss Pross
(b) Doctor Manette and Lucie
(c) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
(d) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
6. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
(a) Two weeks
(b) Two years
(c) Six months
(d) One year and three months
7. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
(a) At La Guillotine
(b) The Good Republican Brutus of Antiquity
(c) Tellson's Bank
(d) The La Forge prison
8. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(b) The doctor says that he has been captured.
(c) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
(d) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
9. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The king
(b) The tribunal
(c) The guards vote on it
(d) The warden
10. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
(a) Their dreadful manner
(b) Their lust for blood
(c) Their ignorance
(d) They seem too happy.
11. Who are the two witnesses Darnay names in his behalf?
(a) Doctor Manette and Alexandre Manette
(b) Theophile Gabelle and Alexandre Manette
(c) Mr. Lorry and Doctor Manette
(d) Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry
12. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
(a) He tells her to go back to England immediately.
(b) He tells her to have courage.
(c) He tells her all is lost.
(d) He tells her that she will have to find a new hiding place.
13. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
(a) He writes a letter to his wife.
(b) He paces the floor, counting the cell's measurement.
(c) He says a prayer.
(d) He writes a letter to Mr. Lorry.
14. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
(a) Ask the Defarge's to take back their testimony.
(b) Change shoes and clothes with him.
(c) Pray for him while waiting for execution.
(d) Beg the prison guard for mercy.
15. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(b) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(c) The death of her own husband
(d) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
Short Answer Questions
1. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
2. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
3. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
4. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
5. What does Carton believe will happen to Charles?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)