|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
(b) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
(c) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
(d) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
2. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(a) Calling to Lucie
(d) Holding the hand of a young girl
3. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) He is grateful that none of his loved ones are in Paris.
(b) He is grateful that he still has a job.
(c) He is grateful that he has not been taken prisoner.
(d) He is grateful that he is leaving Paris.
4. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
(a) Manette bribes the guards.
(b) Manette becomes the prison's physician.
(c) Manette is allowed to visit because of his past imprisonment.
(d) Manette sneaks past the guards after dark.
5. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
(a) Solomon will unlock Darnay's cell.
(b) Carton will smuggle a weapon to Darnay.
(c) Carton can gain access to Darnay.
(d) Solomon will arrange to release Darnay.
6. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
(a) He will die in pain.
(b) He deserves to die.
(c) Give him some peace.
(d) Death to the aristocrat
7. Why do Lucie and Charles not hire a housekeeper?
(a) Lucie enjoys housekeeping.
(b) They are not rich and they fear domestic spies.
(c) Little Lucie does all the housekeeping chores.
(d) They prefer to live in seclusion.
8. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
(a) Public flogging
(b) Tarring and feathering
(c) Public hanging
(d) Sacrifices and self-immolations
9. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The tribunal
(b) The warden
(c) The king
(d) The guards vote on it
10. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
(a) He writes a letter to his wife.
(b) He paces the floor, counting the cell's measurement.
(c) He writes a letter to Mr. Lorry.
(d) He says a prayer.
11. What is Darnay's first impression of the imprisoned men and women?
(a) They appear helpful to each other.
(b) He sees them as ghosts.
(c) They appear cheerful and well fed.
(d) He sees hope in their eyes.
12. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(b) People do not go out of their houses.
(c) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(d) Many citizens are leaving France.
13. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
(a) Ask the Defarge's to take back their testimony.
(b) Pray for him while waiting for execution.
(c) Beg the prison guard for mercy.
(d) Change shoes and clothes with him.
14. Who does Doctor Manette go to see after delivering his news to Lucie?
(a) The Vengeance
(b) Miss Pross
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Monsieur Defarge
15. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Lorry will lose his job.
(b) Lucie can be easily found.
(c) It puts the bank in peril.
(d) Lucie is uncomfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
2. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
3. What is the physical appearance of the men and women sharpening weapons in the courtyard?
4. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
5. What does Carton purchase after talking to the wood-sawyer?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)