|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She was actually born in England.
(b) She has an English stepsister.
(c) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
(d) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
2. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(b) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(c) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(d) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
3. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) He is grateful that he has not been taken prisoner.
(b) He is grateful that none of his loved ones are in Paris.
(c) He is grateful that he is leaving Paris.
(d) He is grateful that he still has a job.
4. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) His sister, Miss Pross
(d) The Vengeance
5. What is the question that Miss Pross has for Doctor Manette?
(a) Will they be able to become citizens of France?
(b) How can she go about joining the patriots' cause?
(c) When will they be able to go back to England?
(d) When will a new king rule France?
6. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and Doctor Manette
(b) Monsieur Defarge, The Vengeance, and Doctor Manette
(c) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and The Vengeance
(d) Monsieur Defarge, Solomon, and The Vengeance
7. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
(a) He slips out a secret passageway.
(b) He lowers a rope from the tower and climbs down.
(c) He anesthetizes him and Barsard carries him out.
(d) He goes through a trap door in the floor.
8. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(b) The death of her own husband
(c) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(d) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
9. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
(a) Show mercy.
(b) Set him free.
(c) Take off his head.
(d) Let him rot in prison.
10. What do the people of the city have to say about Sydney Carton's execution at La Guillotine?
(a) He is the most fearful of all the condemned.
(b) He is the most prayerful of all the executed.
(c) He is the most peaceful man ever to be executed.
(d) He is the most hysterical man ever to face La Guillotine
11. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
(a) Tullsen's Bank
(b) The wine shop
(c) Doctor Manette's and Lucie's lodgings
(d) La Guillotine
12. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(b) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(c) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
13. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
(a) She requests that she be able to embrace Charles one more time.
(b) She requests that they allow her to send Charles a note.
(c) She requests that she can pray with Charles.
(d) She requests that Charles be able to hold his daughter again.
14. What becomes of the first fifteen prisoners to go in front of the Tribunal before Charles?
(a) All are sent beck to their cells.
(b) They are all condemned.
(c) Half are condemned and half set free.
(d) All are released.
15. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction when Jerry admits that he was once a gravedigger?
(a) Mr. Lorry is shocked and disgusted.
(b) Mr. Lorry sympathizes with Jerry.
(c) Mr. Lorry is not surprised.
(d) Mr. Lorry understands Jerry's circumstances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
2. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
3. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
4. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
5. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)