|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(b) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
(c) The doctor says that he has been captured.
(d) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
2. How many death carts head toward La Guillotine?
3. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
4. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
(a) Doctor Manette's and Lucie's lodgings
(b) Tullsen's Bank
(c) La Guillotine
(d) The wine shop
5. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
6. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
(a) Stryver of Old Bailey
(b) The spy, Roger Cly
(c) Mr. Attorney General
(d) The spy, Barsard
7. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
(a) Sacrifices and self-immolations
(b) Tarring and feathering
(c) Public hanging
(d) Public flogging
8. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) People do not go out of their houses.
(b) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(c) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(d) Many citizens are leaving France.
9. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
(a) Take off his head.
(b) Let him rot in prison.
(c) Set him free.
(d) Show mercy.
10. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
(a) He tells her that her family will pray for her soul.
(b) He tells her there is no trouble or worry in the next world.
(c) He tells her that she is brave.
(d) He tells her that she is too good for this world.
11. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
(a) He is to be quartered.
(b) He is returned to prison.
(c) He is found innocent and released.
(d) He is sent to La Guillotine.
12. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
(a) The La Forge prison
(b) At La Guillotine
(c) The Good Republican Brutus of Antiquity
(d) Tellson's Bank
13. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(c) Holding the hand of a young girl
(d) Calling to Lucie
14. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
(a) Death within 24 hours
(b) Prison for life
(c) Hanging in two weeks
15. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The king
(b) The tribunal
(c) The warden
(d) The guards vote on it
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
2. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
3. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
4. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
5. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)