|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
(a) A silver sword
(b) La Guillotine
(d) A golden idol of the new king
2. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
(a) His wine shop
(b) A safe house
(c) The Bastille
(d) Prison of La Force
3. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Mr. Lorry
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Sydney Carton
(d) Monsieur Lafarge
4. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
(a) She requests that she can pray with Charles.
(b) She requests that Charles be able to hold his daughter again.
(c) She requests that she be able to embrace Charles one more time.
(d) She requests that they allow her to send Charles a note.
5. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She was actually born in England.
(b) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
(c) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
(d) She has an English stepsister.
6. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
(a) At La Guillotine
(b) The Good Republican Brutus of Antiquity
(c) Tellson's Bank
(d) The La Forge prison
7. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) People do not go out of their houses.
(b) Many citizens are leaving France.
(c) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(d) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
8. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
(a) Mr. Attorney General
(b) The spy, Roger Cly
(c) The spy, Barsard
(d) Stryver of Old Bailey
9. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
(a) Her husband escaped that morning.
(b) Her husband was murdered during the night.
(c) Her husband goes before the Tribunal the next day.
(d) Her husband is deathly ill.
10. What is Darnay's first impression of the imprisoned men and women?
(a) He sees hope in their eyes.
(b) He sees them as ghosts.
(c) They appear cheerful and well fed.
(d) They appear helpful to each other.
11. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
(a) The king is imprisoned for life.
(b) The king is exile.
(c) The king is tried, doomed, and beheaded.
(d) The king escapes to England for safety.
12. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
(a) Help Lucie to grieve
(b) Help Lucie to accept the circumstances
(c) Grieve now and never again
(d) Don't grieve
13. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
(a) He anesthetizes him and Barsard carries him out.
(b) He goes through a trap door in the floor.
(c) He lowers a rope from the tower and climbs down.
(d) He slips out a secret passageway.
14. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
(b) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
(c) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
(d) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
15. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
(a) His family's peace depends upon his escape.
(b) His family's peace depends upon a curse on his accusers.
(c) His family's peace depends upon his vow of vengeance.
(d) His family's peace depends upon his quiet fortitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
2. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
3. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
4. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
5. What is the question that Miss Pross has for Doctor Manette?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)