|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
(a) Write about the pain in his face
(b) Write of the fear she sees in his face
(c) Write the prophecies she sees in his eyes
(d) Write about the blank stare in his eyes
2. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Defarge says that he will be glad to send Lorry a message.
(b) Defarge says that he will do nothing for Charles.
(c) Defarge says nothing.
(d) Defarge says that he will deliver the message himself.
3. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
(b) Doctor Manette and Lucie
(c) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
(d) Lucie and Miss Pross
4. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
(b) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
(c) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(d) The doctor says that he has been captured.
5. Where does Sydney Carton stop on the morning after Charles' trial?
(a) La Guillotine
(b) The Defarge's wine shop
(c) Jerry Cruncher's lodgings
(d) The prison
6. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
(a) Doctor Manette
7. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
8. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The tribunal
(b) The king
(c) The guards vote on it
(d) The warden
9. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
(a) Returning him to England
(b) The threat of La Guillotine
(c) A hand of cards
(d) Getting Solomon drunk
10. What is the new mode of address decreed by the patriots?
(a) Good day to equality.
(b) Good day, citizen.
(c) Long live liberty.
(d) Sing of a new republic.
11. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(b) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(c) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(d) The death of her own husband
12. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
(a) She is horrified.
(b) She smiles.
(c) She is saddened.
(d) She is indifferent.
13. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
(a) Masks of white powder
(b) Wild boar heads over their faces
(c) False eyebrows and false eyelashes
(d) Burlap bags over their faces
14. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
(a) Everything about France is suddenly completely changed and unfair.
(b) . Charles has forgotten a lot of the French language.
(c) Charles doesn't know any of the people living in Paris now.
(d) The streets have all been reworked and changed.
15. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
(a) She stands outside at three in the afternoon and he will be able to see her.
(b) She comes to the prison disguised as a fruit vendor.
(c) She comes to the prison after dark so he can see her.
(d) She stands outside the prison dressed in leper's robes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
2. Who are the two witnesses Darnay names in his behalf?
3. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
4. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
5. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)