|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
(b) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(c) The doctor says that he has been captured.
(d) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
2. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(b) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(c) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(d) The death of her own husband
3. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
(a) Take off his head.
(b) Show mercy.
(c) Set him free.
(d) Let him rot in prison.
4. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
(a) A flag of the Republic
(b) Her knitting
(c) A pistol and a dagger
(d) A vile of poison
5. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
(b) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
6. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
(a) An incriminating weapon with Charles' initials imprinted on it
(b) A letter written in the prison of the Bastille
(c) An eyewitness
(d) A traitorous letter written by Charles
7. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
(b) Hanging in two weeks
(c) Prison for life
(d) Death within 24 hours
8. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Sydney Carton
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Monsieur Lafarge
(d) Mr. Lorry
9. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Dear Livelihood
(b) My Little Shaver
(c) My Little Guillotine
(d) My Sharp Razor
10. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and The Vengeance
(b) Monsieur Defarge, The Vengeance, and Doctor Manette
(c) Monsieur Defarge, Solomon, and The Vengeance
(d) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and Doctor Manette
11. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
(b) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
(c) Mr. Carton is missing.
(d) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
12. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
(a) A rap on the door
(b) A drum in the distance
(c) Footsteps on the stairs
(d) A rock thrown at the window
13. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
14. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
(a) The Vengeance
(c) His sister, Miss Pross
(d) Doctor Manette
15. Where does Sydney Carton stop on the morning after Charles' trial?
(a) The Defarge's wine shop
(b) La Guillotine
(c) Jerry Cruncher's lodgings
(d) The prison
Short Answer Questions
1. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
2. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
3. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
4. What becomes of the first fifteen prisoners to go in front of the Tribunal before Charles?
5. What is Doctor Manette's condition when he returns home from trying to find leniency for Charles?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)