|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
(a) Madame Defarge is stabbed.
(b) Miss Pross is shot.
(c) Miss Pross is stabbed.
(d) Madame Defarge is shot.
2. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
(a) They are preparing for an invasion.
(b) They are slaughtering cattle.
(c) They are killing the prisoners.
(d) They are sharpening weapons for the king's soldiers.
3. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
4. What does Carton tell Mr. Lorry about taking Lucie, her father, and her daughter out of Paris?
(a) He tells Lorry to delay the trip if something goes wrong.
(b) He tells Lorry to leave the doctor behind if it is necessary.
(c) He tells Lorry not to delay the trip for any reason.
(d) He tells Lorry to stay in Paris if the trip seems too dangerous.
5. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
(a) His sister, Miss Pross
(b) The Vengeance
(c) Doctor Manette
6. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
(c) Doctor Manette
7. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
(a) She smiles.
(b) She is horrified.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She is saddened.
8. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
(a) The Vengeance
(b) Citizen and Citizeness Defarge
(c) The owner of Tellson's Bank
(d) Jerry Cruncher
9. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(b) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
(c) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
(d) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
10. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
(b) Lucie and Miss Pross
(c) Doctor Manette and Lucie
(d) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
11. What do the people of the city have to say about Sydney Carton's execution at La Guillotine?
(a) He is the most hysterical man ever to face La Guillotine
(b) He is the most fearful of all the condemned.
(c) He is the most prayerful of all the executed.
(d) He is the most peaceful man ever to be executed.
12. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
(a) He deserves to die.
(b) Give him some peace.
(c) He will die in pain.
(d) Death to the aristocrat
13. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
(a) . Charles has forgotten a lot of the French language.
(b) Everything about France is suddenly completely changed and unfair.
(c) Charles doesn't know any of the people living in Paris now.
(d) The streets have all been reworked and changed.
14. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
(a) His family's peace depends upon his quiet fortitude.
(b) His family's peace depends upon his vow of vengeance.
(c) His family's peace depends upon a curse on his accusers.
(d) His family's peace depends upon his escape.
15. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(b) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(c) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(d) The death of her own husband
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sydney Carton stop on the morning after Charles' trial?
2. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
3. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
4. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
5. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)