|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carton purchase after talking to the wood-sawyer?
(a) A new pipe
(b) A silver topped cane
(c) A silk top hat
(d) Two packets from the chemist
2. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
(a) Getting Solomon drunk
(b) The threat of La Guillotine
(c) Returning him to England
(d) A hand of cards
3. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and The Vengeance
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and Doctor Manette
(c) Monsieur Defarge, The Vengeance, and Doctor Manette
(d) Monsieur Defarge, Solomon, and The Vengeance
4. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
5. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
(a) He keeps his promise to Lucie.
(b) He moves away from Paris.
(c) The North Tower and his shoemaking tools are destroyed.
(d) He finds a new career.
6. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
(a) She requests that she can pray with Charles.
(b) She requests that Charles be able to hold his daughter again.
(c) She requests that she be able to embrace Charles one more time.
(d) She requests that they allow her to send Charles a note.
7. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
(a) Write about the blank stare in his eyes
(b) Write about the pain in his face
(c) Write of the fear she sees in his face
(d) Write the prophecies she sees in his eyes
8. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(b) Holding the hand of a young girl
(d) Calling to Lucie
9. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) Lucie and her father
(b) Charles Darnay
(c) Miss Pross
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Defarge
10. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(b) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
(c) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
(d) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
11. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The warden
(b) The king
(c) The tribunal
(d) The guards vote on it
12. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
(a) Their lust for blood
(b) Their ignorance
(c) They seem too happy.
(d) Their dreadful manner
13. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
(b) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
(c) She was actually born in England.
(d) She has an English stepsister.
14. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
(a) A letter written in the prison of the Bastille
(b) An incriminating weapon with Charles' initials imprinted on it
(c) An eyewitness
(d) A traitorous letter written by Charles
15. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Dear Livelihood
(b) My Sharp Razor
(c) My Little Shaver
(d) My Little Guillotine
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Doctor Manette go to see after delivering his news to Lucie?
2. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
3. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
4. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
5. What is Doctor Manette's condition when he returns home from trying to find leniency for Charles?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)