|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
(a) He moves away from Paris.
(b) The North Tower and his shoemaking tools are destroyed.
(c) He keeps his promise to Lucie.
(d) He finds a new career.
2. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
(b) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(c) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
(d) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
3. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
4. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
(b) She has an English stepsister.
(c) She was actually born in England.
(d) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
5. What does Carton tell Mr. Lorry about taking Lucie, her father, and her daughter out of Paris?
(a) He tells Lorry not to delay the trip for any reason.
(b) He tells Lorry to delay the trip if something goes wrong.
(c) He tells Lorry to leave the doctor behind if it is necessary.
(d) He tells Lorry to stay in Paris if the trip seems too dangerous.
6. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
(a) Stryver of Old Bailey
(b) The spy, Barsard
(c) Mr. Attorney General
(d) The spy, Roger Cly
7. What is the physical appearance of the men and women sharpening weapons in the courtyard?
(a) They are dressed in party wear.
(b) They wear clean clothes and white wigs.
(c) They are dressed in uniforms.
(d) They are covered in blood.
8. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
(a) The owner of Tellson's Bank
(b) Citizen and Citizeness Defarge
(c) Jerry Cruncher
(d) The Vengeance
9. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
(a) Manette is allowed to visit because of his past imprisonment.
(b) Manette sneaks past the guards after dark.
(c) Manette becomes the prison's physician.
(d) Manette bribes the guards.
10. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
(a) Miss Pross is shot.
(b) Miss Pross is stabbed.
(c) Madame Defarge is shot.
(d) Madame Defarge is stabbed.
11. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
(a) She scratches at her eyes.
(b) She pulls her hair hysterically.
(c) She screams.
(d) She faints.
12. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
(a) He tells her to go back to England immediately.
(b) He tells her all is lost.
(c) He tells her to have courage.
(d) He tells her that she will have to find a new hiding place.
13. Who are the two witnesses Darnay names in his behalf?
(a) Theophile Gabelle and Alexandre Manette
(b) Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry
(c) Doctor Manette and Alexandre Manette
(d) Mr. Lorry and Doctor Manette
14. What does Carton believe will happen to Charles?
(a) He will commit suicide.
(b) He will escape.
(c) He will talk his way out of his situation.
(d) He will perish.
15. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
(a) . Charles has forgotten a lot of the French language.
(b) The streets have all been reworked and changed.
(c) Charles doesn't know any of the people living in Paris now.
(d) Everything about France is suddenly completely changed and unfair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
2. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
3. Why do Lucie and Charles not hire a housekeeper?
4. What becomes of the first fifteen prisoners to go in front of the Tribunal before Charles?
5. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)