|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
(b) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(c) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(d) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
2. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
(a) Show mercy.
(b) Take off his head.
(c) Let him rot in prison.
(d) Set him free.
3. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Defarge says that he will do nothing for Charles.
(b) Defarge says that he will deliver the message himself.
(c) Defarge says that he will be glad to send Lorry a message.
(d) Defarge says nothing.
4. What becomes of the first fifteen prisoners to go in front of the Tribunal before Charles?
(a) All are released.
(b) All are sent beck to their cells.
(c) Half are condemned and half set free.
(d) They are all condemned.
5. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
(a) They are preparing for an invasion.
(b) They are slaughtering cattle.
(c) They are sharpening weapons for the king's soldiers.
(d) They are killing the prisoners.
6. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
(a) Her husband is deathly ill.
(b) Her husband escaped that morning.
(c) Her husband was murdered during the night.
(d) Her husband goes before the Tribunal the next day.
7. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
(a) Papers condemning Charles
(b) Papers denying safe passage out of France
(c) Papers that allow safe passage out of France
(d) Papers condemning the doctor and Lucie
8. What is the new mode of address decreed by the patriots?
(a) Long live liberty.
(b) Good day, citizen.
(c) Sing of a new republic.
(d) Good day to equality.
9. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) People do not go out of their houses.
(b) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(c) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(d) Many citizens are leaving France.
10. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
(a) Change shoes and clothes with him.
(b) Beg the prison guard for mercy.
(c) Pray for him while waiting for execution.
(d) Ask the Defarge's to take back their testimony.
11. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
(a) Solomon will arrange to release Darnay.
(b) Carton can gain access to Darnay.
(c) Carton will smuggle a weapon to Darnay.
(d) Solomon will unlock Darnay's cell.
12. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
(a) Madame Defarge is stabbed.
(b) Miss Pross is shot.
(c) Madame Defarge is shot.
(d) Miss Pross is stabbed.
13. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Dear Livelihood
(b) My Little Guillotine
(c) My Little Shaver
(d) My Sharp Razor
14. What is the physical appearance of the men and women sharpening weapons in the courtyard?
(a) They wear clean clothes and white wigs.
(b) They are dressed in party wear.
(c) They are dressed in uniforms.
(d) They are covered in blood.
15. Who makes up the Tribunal?
(a) One judge and a jury
(b) Five judges and a jury
(c) Five judges, public prosecutor, and a jury
(d) Three judges and a public prosecutor
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
2. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
3. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
4. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
5. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)