|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
(b) Doctor Manette
2. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Doctor Manette and Lucie
(b) Lucie and Miss Pross
(c) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
(d) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
3. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She was actually born in England.
(b) She has an English stepsister.
(c) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
(d) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
4. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
(a) Write of the fear she sees in his face
(b) Write about the pain in his face
(c) Write the prophecies she sees in his eyes
(d) Write about the blank stare in his eyes
5. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
(a) Pray for him while waiting for execution.
(b) Ask the Defarge's to take back their testimony.
(c) Change shoes and clothes with him.
(d) Beg the prison guard for mercy.
6. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
(a) The king is imprisoned for life.
(b) The king is tried, doomed, and beheaded.
(c) The king is exile.
(d) The king escapes to England for safety.
7. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
(b) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(c) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
(d) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
8. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(b) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(c) Many citizens are leaving France.
(d) People do not go out of their houses.
9. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
(a) Papers denying safe passage out of France
(b) Papers that allow safe passage out of France
(c) Papers condemning Charles
(d) Papers condemning the doctor and Lucie
10. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
(a) Carton can gain access to Darnay.
(b) Carton will smuggle a weapon to Darnay.
(c) Solomon will arrange to release Darnay.
(d) Solomon will unlock Darnay's cell.
11. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
(a) Travel with an escort.
(b) Travel with soldiers.
(c) Travel with a caravan of immigrants.
(d) Travel alone, during the night.
12. What words continue to repeat in Carton's mind as he wanders the streets throughout the night?
(a) Though we walk through the shadows of death
(b) I am who I am.
(c) I am the resurrection and the life.
(d) Father forgive them.
13. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
(a) They seem too happy.
(b) Their ignorance
(c) Their lust for blood
(d) Their dreadful manner
14. What does the evidence against Charles call up in the crowd at the trial?
(a) A passion for vengeance
(b) Their own past offenses
(c) Sympathy for Charles
(d) Mercy for the prisoners
15. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
(a) An incriminating weapon with Charles' initials imprinted on it
(b) A traitorous letter written by Charles
(c) An eyewitness
(d) A letter written in the prison of the Bastille
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes up the Tribunal?
2. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
3. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
4. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
5. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)