|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
(b) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
(c) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
(d) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
2. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of her own husband
(b) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(c) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(d) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
3. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
(a) Travel with a caravan of immigrants.
(b) Travel with soldiers.
(c) Travel alone, during the night.
(d) Travel with an escort.
4. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The guards vote on it
(b) The tribunal
(c) The king
(d) The warden
5. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
(a) Masks of white powder
(b) False eyebrows and false eyelashes
(c) Burlap bags over their faces
(d) Wild boar heads over their faces
6. What does Darnay tell Doctor Manette about the evidence brought against him in court?
(a) He tells Manette not to feel guilty about it.
(b) He tells Manette that the conviction is his entire fault.
(c) He tells Manette that he was a fool to write the letter.
(d) He tells Manette that Lucie will never forgive him.
7. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
(a) The Bastille
(b) A safe house
(c) His wine shop
(d) Prison of La Force
8. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
(a) He tells her there is no trouble or worry in the next world.
(b) He tells her that she is too good for this world.
(c) He tells her that she is brave.
(d) He tells her that her family will pray for her soul.
9. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(c) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
(d) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
10. What is Solomon's secret identity in England?
(a) The spy, Barsard
(b) Stryver of Old Bailey
(c) The spy, Roger Cly
(d) Mr. Attorney General
11. How many death carts head toward La Guillotine?
12. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Little Shaver
(b) My Dear Livelihood
(c) My Little Guillotine
(d) My Sharp Razor
13. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) People do not go out of their houses.
(b) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(c) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(d) Many citizens are leaving France.
14. What does the evidence against Charles call up in the crowd at the trial?
(a) A passion for vengeance
(b) Their own past offenses
(c) Sympathy for Charles
(d) Mercy for the prisoners
15. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(b) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
(c) The doctor says that he has been captured.
(d) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
2. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
3. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
4. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
5. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)