|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sitting in the front row during Darnay's trial?
(a) Doctor Manette and Lucie
(b) Doctor Manette and Mr. Lorry
(c) Lucie and Miss Pross
(d) Monsieur Defarge and Madame Defarge
2. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
(a) He will wait for Charles to reach safety, then escape.
(b) He will declare his true identity at La Guillotine.
(c) He will escape through the trap door.
(d) He will be executed in Charles' place.
3. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(a) Holding the hand of a young girl
(c) Calling to Lucie
4. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
(a) The king is imprisoned for life.
(b) The king is exile.
(c) The king escapes to England for safety.
(d) The king is tried, doomed, and beheaded.
5. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
(a) Give him some peace.
(b) He deserves to die.
(c) Death to the aristocrat
(d) He will die in pain.
6. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
(a) Returning him to England
(b) Getting Solomon drunk
(c) The threat of La Guillotine
(d) A hand of cards
7. What is Defarge's response when Charles Darnay asks him to contact Mr. Lorry at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Defarge says nothing.
(b) Defarge says that he will deliver the message himself.
(c) Defarge says that he will do nothing for Charles.
(d) Defarge says that he will be glad to send Lorry a message.
8. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
(b) Mr. Carton is missing.
(c) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
(d) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
9. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(b) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
(c) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
(d) The doctor says that he has been captured.
10. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) He is grateful that he has not been taken prisoner.
(b) He is grateful that he still has a job.
(c) He is grateful that none of his loved ones are in Paris.
(d) He is grateful that he is leaving Paris.
11. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
(a) Tellson's Bank
(b) At La Guillotine
(c) The Good Republican Brutus of Antiquity
(d) The La Forge prison
12. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
(b) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
(c) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(d) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
13. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
(a) The Bastille
(b) Prison of La Force
(c) His wine shop
(d) A safe house
14. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
(a) His family's peace depends upon his escape.
(b) His family's peace depends upon his quiet fortitude.
(c) His family's peace depends upon his vow of vengeance.
(d) His family's peace depends upon a curse on his accusers.
15. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
(a) One year and three months
(b) Two years
(c) Two weeks
(d) Six months
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction when Jerry admits that he was once a gravedigger?
2. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
3. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
4. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
5. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)