|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
(a) He will escape through the trap door.
(b) He will declare his true identity at La Guillotine.
(c) He will be executed in Charles' place.
(d) He will wait for Charles to reach safety, then escape.
2. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
(a) Write about the pain in his face
(b) Write the prophecies she sees in his eyes
(c) Write of the fear she sees in his face
(d) Write about the blank stare in his eyes
3. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
(a) Take off his head.
(b) Let him rot in prison.
(c) Show mercy.
(d) Set him free.
4. What does the evidence against Charles call up in the crowd at the trial?
(a) Sympathy for Charles
(b) Mercy for the prisoners
(c) A passion for vengeance
(d) Their own past offenses
5. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
(a) Tarring and feathering
(b) Public flogging
(c) Sacrifices and self-immolations
(d) Public hanging
6. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The warden
(b) The guards vote on it
(c) The king
(d) The tribunal
7. What words continue to repeat in Carton's mind as he wanders the streets throughout the night?
(a) I am who I am.
(b) Father forgive them.
(c) Though we walk through the shadows of death
(d) I am the resurrection and the life.
8. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
(b) Doctor Manette
9. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(b) People do not go out of their houses.
(c) Many citizens are leaving France.
(d) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
10. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
(a) He will die in pain.
(b) He deserves to die.
(c) Death to the aristocrat
(d) Give him some peace.
11. What does Carton purchase after talking to the wood-sawyer?
(a) A silver topped cane
(b) Two packets from the chemist
(c) A new pipe
(d) A silk top hat
12. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
(a) His family's peace depends upon a curse on his accusers.
(b) His family's peace depends upon his vow of vengeance.
(c) His family's peace depends upon his quiet fortitude.
(d) His family's peace depends upon his escape.
13. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction when Jerry admits that he was once a gravedigger?
(a) Mr. Lorry understands Jerry's circumstances.
(b) Mr. Lorry is not surprised.
(c) Mr. Lorry is shocked and disgusted.
(d) Mr. Lorry sympathizes with Jerry.
14. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
(a) He is found innocent and released.
(b) He is sent to La Guillotine.
(c) He is returned to prison.
(d) He is to be quartered.
15. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
(b) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
(c) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(d) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
2. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
3. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
4. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
5. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)