|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Darnay's first impression of the imprisoned men and women?
(a) They appear helpful to each other.
(b) He sees hope in their eyes.
(c) They appear cheerful and well fed.
(d) He sees them as ghosts.
2. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The guards vote on it
(b) The warden
(c) The tribunal
(d) The king
3. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
(b) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
(c) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
(d) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
4. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
(a) She stands outside the prison dressed in leper's robes.
(b) She comes to the prison disguised as a fruit vendor.
(c) She comes to the prison after dark so he can see her.
(d) She stands outside at three in the afternoon and he will be able to see her.
5. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
6. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
(a) Masks of white powder
(b) Burlap bags over their faces
(c) False eyebrows and false eyelashes
(d) Wild boar heads over their faces
7. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Lorry will lose his job.
(b) Lucie is uncomfortable.
(c) It puts the bank in peril.
(d) Lucie can be easily found.
8. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
(a) Don't grieve
(b) Help Lucie to accept the circumstances
(c) Grieve now and never again
(d) Help Lucie to grieve
9. What does Carton tell Mr. Lorry about taking Lucie, her father, and her daughter out of Paris?
(a) He tells Lorry to leave the doctor behind if it is necessary.
(b) He tells Lorry not to delay the trip for any reason.
(c) He tells Lorry to delay the trip if something goes wrong.
(d) He tells Lorry to stay in Paris if the trip seems too dangerous.
10. What does the evidence against Charles call up in the crowd at the trial?
(a) Mercy for the prisoners
(b) A passion for vengeance
(c) Their own past offenses
(d) Sympathy for Charles
11. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(b) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(c) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(d) The death of her own husband
12. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Sydney Carton
(b) Mr. Lorry
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Monsieur Lafarge
13. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
(a) La Guillotine
(b) A golden idol of the new king
(c) A silver sword
14. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
(a) He is sent to La Guillotine.
(b) He is found innocent and released.
(c) He is returned to prison.
(d) He is to be quartered.
15. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Defarge
(b) Lucie and her father
(c) Miss Pross
(d) Charles Darnay
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
2. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
3. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
4. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
5. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)