|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
(a) He anesthetizes him and Barsard carries him out.
(b) He slips out a secret passageway.
(c) He lowers a rope from the tower and climbs down.
(d) He goes through a trap door in the floor.
2. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(b) People do not go out of their houses.
(c) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(d) Many citizens are leaving France.
3. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
(b) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
(c) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(d) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
4. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
(a) Her husband is deathly ill.
(b) Her husband goes before the Tribunal the next day.
(c) Her husband escaped that morning.
(d) Her husband was murdered during the night.
5. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Little Shaver
(b) My Sharp Razor
(c) My Little Guillotine
(d) My Dear Livelihood
6. What does Carton tell Mr. Lorry about taking Lucie, her father, and her daughter out of Paris?
(a) He tells Lorry not to delay the trip for any reason.
(b) He tells Lorry to stay in Paris if the trip seems too dangerous.
(c) He tells Lorry to delay the trip if something goes wrong.
(d) He tells Lorry to leave the doctor behind if it is necessary.
7. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(b) Holding the hand of a young girl
(c) Calling to Lucie
8. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Lucie can be easily found.
(b) Lorry will lose his job.
(c) It puts the bank in peril.
(d) Lucie is uncomfortable.
9. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
(a) His family's peace depends upon his quiet fortitude.
(b) His family's peace depends upon his escape.
(c) His family's peace depends upon his vow of vengeance.
(d) His family's peace depends upon a curse on his accusers.
10. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
(a) Papers that allow safe passage out of France
(b) Papers condemning the doctor and Lucie
(c) Papers denying safe passage out of France
(d) Papers condemning Charles
11. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
(b) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
(c) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
(d) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
12. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He writes a letter to Mr. Lorry.
(c) He paces the floor, counting the cell's measurement.
(d) He writes a letter to his wife.
13. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
(a) Manette becomes the prison's physician.
(b) Manette is allowed to visit because of his past imprisonment.
(c) Manette bribes the guards.
(d) Manette sneaks past the guards after dark.
14. What does Little Lucie recall later in her life that Carton said to Lucie while she was unconscious?
(a) I will never forget you
(b) A life you love
(c) Be happy
(d) Take care
15. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
(a) Let him rot in prison.
(b) Show mercy.
(c) Take off his head.
(d) Set him free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Doctor Manette go to see after delivering his news to Lucie?
2. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
3. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
4. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
5. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)