|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
(a) Citizen and Citizeness Defarge
(b) The Vengeance
(c) The owner of Tellson's Bank
(d) Jerry Cruncher
2. Who does Doctor Manette go to see after delivering his news to Lucie?
(a) Mr. Lorry
(b) Monsieur Defarge
(c) The Vengeance
(d) Miss Pross
3. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
4. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(b) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
5. What is the main source of evidence presented against Charles Darnay?
(a) An incriminating weapon with Charles' initials imprinted on it
(b) An eyewitness
(c) A traitorous letter written by Charles
(d) A letter written in the prison of the Bastille
6. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
7. What reaction does Lucie have when she sees men and women dancing the Carmagnole?
(a) Lucie sees the dance as something once innocent, turned cruel and ugly.
(b) Lucie sees the dance as way for the people to forget their suffering.
(c) Lucie sees the dance a good omen.
(d) Lucie sees the dance as frivolous and a waste of time.
8. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
(a) He will wait for Charles to reach safety, then escape.
(b) He will be executed in Charles' place.
(c) He will escape through the trap door.
(d) He will declare his true identity at La Guillotine.
9. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
(a) Charles doesn't know any of the people living in Paris now.
(b) The streets have all been reworked and changed.
(c) . Charles has forgotten a lot of the French language.
(d) Everything about France is suddenly completely changed and unfair.
10. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
(a) Travel alone, during the night.
(b) Travel with an escort.
(c) Travel with soldiers.
(d) Travel with a caravan of immigrants.
11. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) He is grateful that he has not been taken prisoner.
(b) He is grateful that he is leaving Paris.
(c) He is grateful that he still has a job.
(d) He is grateful that none of his loved ones are in Paris.
12. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Dear Livelihood
(b) My Little Guillotine
(c) My Sharp Razor
(d) My Little Shaver
13. What is the news Doctor Manette brings to Lucie about her husband?
(a) Her husband goes before the Tribunal the next day.
(b) Her husband is deathly ill.
(c) Her husband escaped that morning.
(d) Her husband was murdered during the night.
14. What does a woman waiting to be executed ask to do when she sees Carton's face?
(a) Write of the fear she sees in his face
(b) Write about the blank stare in his eyes
(c) Write the prophecies she sees in his eyes
(d) Write about the pain in his face
15. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
(a) The Vengeance
(b) Doctor Manette
(d) His sister, Miss Pross
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of the first fifteen prisoners to go in front of the Tribunal before Charles?
2. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
3. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
4. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
5. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)