|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
(a) It puts the bank in peril.
(b) Lucie can be easily found.
(c) Lorry will lose his job.
(d) Lucie is uncomfortable.
2. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
(a) Mr. Lorry
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Sydney Carton
3. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
(a) He is sent to La Guillotine.
(b) He is found innocent and released.
(c) He is returned to prison.
(d) He is to be quartered.
4. What is in the note Defarge brings to Mr. Lorry from Doctor Manette?
(a) The doctor says that Charles is ill.
(b) The doctor says that Charles has escaped.
(c) The doctor says that he has been captured.
(d) The doctor says that Charles is safe.
5. What does Darnay tell Doctor Manette about the evidence brought against him in court?
(a) He tells Manette that Lucie will never forgive him.
(b) He tells Manette that the conviction is his entire fault.
(c) He tells Manette not to feel guilty about it.
(d) He tells Manette that he was a fool to write the letter.
6. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
(a) Prison of La Force
(b) The Bastille
(c) A safe house
(d) His wine shop
7. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
8. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
(b) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
(c) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
(d) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
9. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
(b) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(d) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
10. What is Madame Defarge's destination as she walks through the streets?
(a) The wine shop
(b) La Guillotine
(c) Tullsen's Bank
(d) Doctor Manette's and Lucie's lodgings
11. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
(a) Her knitting
(b) A vile of poison
(c) A pistol and a dagger
(d) A flag of the Republic
12. What reaction does Lucie have when she sees men and women dancing the Carmagnole?
(a) Lucie sees the dance as way for the people to forget their suffering.
(b) Lucie sees the dance as frivolous and a waste of time.
(c) Lucie sees the dance as something once innocent, turned cruel and ugly.
(d) Lucie sees the dance a good omen.
13. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
(a) She was actually born in England.
(b) She is the other sister of the wounded boy discussed at Darnay's trial.
(c) She has an English stepsister.
(d) She is the sister of Doctor Manette.
14. What does Little Lucie recall later in her life that Carton said to Lucie while she was unconscious?
(a) Take care
(b) Be happy
(c) I will never forget you
(d) A life you love
15. Who decides which prisoners will be released or murdered at the prison?
(a) The king
(b) The tribunal
(c) The warden
(d) The guards vote on it
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
2. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
3. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
4. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
5. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)