|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
(a) He is returned to prison.
(b) He is found innocent and released.
(c) He is to be quartered.
(d) He is sent to La Guillotine.
2. What does Madame Defarge carry inside her coat as she walks through the streets of Paris?
(a) Her knitting
(b) A flag of the Republic
(c) A vile of poison
(d) A pistol and a dagger
3. Who does Solomon blame for his secret identity being exposed?
(a) The Vengeance
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) His sister, Miss Pross
4. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
(a) The king is tried, doomed, and beheaded.
(b) The king escapes to England for safety.
(c) The king is exile.
(d) The king is imprisoned for life.
5. Who is Mr. Lorry amazed to see come through the door of Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) Charles Darnay
(b) Miss Pross
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Defarge
(d) Lucie and her father
6. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
(a) Papers denying safe passage out of France
(b) Papers that allow safe passage out of France
(c) Papers condemning the doctor and Lucie
(d) Papers condemning Charles
7. What is the arrangement Carton makes with Solomon with regard to Darnay?
(a) Solomon will arrange to release Darnay.
(b) Carton will smuggle a weapon to Darnay.
(c) Solomon will unlock Darnay's cell.
(d) Carton can gain access to Darnay.
8. What is Mr. Lorry grateful for as he sits in Tellson's Bank in Paris?
(a) He is grateful that he is leaving Paris.
(b) He is grateful that he has not been taken prisoner.
(c) He is grateful that none of his loved ones are in Paris.
(d) He is grateful that he still has a job.
9. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
(a) Travel alone, during the night.
(b) Travel with a caravan of immigrants.
(c) Travel with an escort.
(d) Travel with soldiers.
10. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(b) Many citizens are leaving France.
(c) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(d) People do not go out of their houses.
11. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
(b) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(c) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
(d) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
12. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(c) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(d) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
13. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
(a) A rap on the door
(b) A rock thrown at the window
(c) A drum in the distance
(d) Footsteps on the stairs
14. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
(b) Sydney Carton
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Mr. Lorry
15. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
(a) He tells her that she will have to find a new hiding place.
(b) He tells her to have courage.
(c) He tells her to go back to England immediately.
(d) He tells her all is lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
2. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
3. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
4. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
5. What does Carton believe will happen to Charles?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)