|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of the city have to say about Sydney Carton's execution at La Guillotine?
(a) He is the most hysterical man ever to face La Guillotine
(b) He is the most prayerful of all the executed.
(c) He is the most peaceful man ever to be executed.
(d) He is the most fearful of all the condemned.
2. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
(d) Doctor Manette
3. What words continue to repeat in Carton's mind as he wanders the streets throughout the night?
(a) I am the resurrection and the life.
(b) I am who I am.
(c) Though we walk through the shadows of death
(d) Father forgive them.
4. What advice does Carton give to Mr. Lorry about Charles' fate?
(a) Help Lucie to accept the circumstances
(b) Help Lucie to grieve
(c) Don't grieve
(d) Grieve now and never again
5. What is Carton doing as he rides in the death cart?
(a) Holding the hand of a young girl
(b) Calling to Lucie
6. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
(a) Prison of La Force
(b) His wine shop
(c) The Bastille
(d) A safe house
7. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
(a) They are slaughtering cattle.
(b) They are preparing for an invasion.
(c) They are killing the prisoners.
(d) They are sharpening weapons for the king's soldiers.
8. Where does Sydney Carton stop on the morning after Charles' trial?
(a) La Guillotine
(b) The prison
(c) The Defarge's wine shop
(d) Jerry Cruncher's lodgings
9. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Sydney Carton
(b) Mr. Lorry
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Monsieur Lafarge
10. Who are the two witnesses Darnay names in his behalf?
(a) Mr. Lorry and Doctor Manette
(b) Theophile Gabelle and Alexandre Manette
(c) Doctor Manette and Alexandre Manette
(d) Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry
11. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
(a) She requests that she be able to embrace Charles one more time.
(b) She requests that Charles be able to hold his daughter again.
(c) She requests that she can pray with Charles.
(d) She requests that they allow her to send Charles a note.
12. What reaction does Lucie have when she sees men and women dancing the Carmagnole?
(a) Lucie sees the dance a good omen.
(b) Lucie sees the dance as way for the people to forget their suffering.
(c) Lucie sees the dance as something once innocent, turned cruel and ugly.
(d) Lucie sees the dance as frivolous and a waste of time.
13. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
(a) A golden idol of the new king
(c) La Guillotine
(d) A silver sword
14. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and the Vengeance
(b) Jerry, Monsieur Defarge, and the Vengeance
(c) Madame Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
(d) Monsieur Defarge, the Vengeance, and Carton
15. What does the evidence against Charles call up in the crowd at the trial?
(a) Their own past offenses
(b) A passion for vengeance
(c) Sympathy for Charles
(d) Mercy for the prisoners
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
2. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
3. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
4. What does Madame Defarge reveal about her past?
5. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)