|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(b) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(c) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
2. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
(b) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(c) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
(d) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
3. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
(a) Their lust for blood
(b) Their ignorance
(c) They seem too happy.
(d) Their dreadful manner
4. What is the physical appearance of the men and women sharpening weapons in the courtyard?
(a) They are dressed in uniforms.
(b) They wear clean clothes and white wigs.
(c) They are covered in blood.
(d) They are dressed in party wear.
5. Where does Defarge take Charles Darnay when he arrives at the gates of Paris?
(a) The Bastille
(b) Prison of La Force
(c) His wine shop
(d) A safe house
6. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
(a) The North Tower and his shoemaking tools are destroyed.
(b) He moves away from Paris.
(c) He keeps his promise to Lucie.
(d) He finds a new career.
7. What does Carton tell Mr. Lorry about taking Lucie, her father, and her daughter out of Paris?
(a) He tells Lorry not to delay the trip for any reason.
(b) He tells Lorry to leave the doctor behind if it is necessary.
(c) He tells Lorry to stay in Paris if the trip seems too dangerous.
(d) He tells Lorry to delay the trip if something goes wrong.
8. What is Lucie's reaction when she is finally pulled away from Charles?
(a) She faints.
(b) She screams.
(c) She pulls her hair hysterically.
(d) She scratches at her eyes.
9. What do the people of the city have to say about Sydney Carton's execution at La Guillotine?
(a) He is the most hysterical man ever to face La Guillotine
(b) He is the most prayerful of all the executed.
(c) He is the most fearful of all the condemned.
(d) He is the most peaceful man ever to be executed.
10. What is the plan Doctor Manette tells to Lucie so that Charles can see her from a prison window?
(a) She stands outside the prison dressed in leper's robes.
(b) She comes to the prison after dark so he can see her.
(c) She comes to the prison disguised as a fruit vendor.
(d) She stands outside at three in the afternoon and he will be able to see her.
11. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
(a) She is horrified.
(b) She is saddened.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She smiles.
12. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
13. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
(b) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
(c) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
(d) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
14. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
(a) Change shoes and clothes with him.
(b) Beg the prison guard for mercy.
(c) Ask the Defarge's to take back their testimony.
(d) Pray for him while waiting for execution.
15. What reaction does Lucie have when she sees men and women dancing the Carmagnole?
(a) Lucie sees the dance as something once innocent, turned cruel and ugly.
(b) Lucie sees the dance as way for the people to forget their suffering.
(c) Lucie sees the dance a good omen.
(d) Lucie sees the dance as frivolous and a waste of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who denounces Charles Darnay, causing him to be arrested once again?
2. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
3. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
4. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
5. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)