|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the universal fear and distrust of the times affect daily life of the citizens?
(a) Citizens are unable to purchase food.
(b) People do not go out of their houses.
(c) The usual harmless ways of life have changed.
(d) Many citizens are leaving France.
2. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
(a) Public hanging
(b) Public flogging
(c) Tarring and feathering
(d) Sacrifices and self-immolations
3. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
(a) Wild boar heads over their faces
(b) Burlap bags over their faces
(c) Masks of white powder
(d) False eyebrows and false eyelashes
4. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
(a) Hanging in two weeks
(b) Prison for life
(c) Death within 24 hours
5. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is horrified.
(c) She is saddened.
(d) She smiles.
6. What is bothering Lorry about providing shelter for Lucie at Tellson's Bank?
(a) Lucie can be easily found.
(b) Lucie is uncomfortable.
(c) Lorry will lose his job.
(d) It puts the bank in peril.
7. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, The Vengeance, and Doctor Manette
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and The Vengeance
(c) Monsieur Defarge, Solomon, and The Vengeance
(d) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and Doctor Manette
8. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
(a) She cannot trust him to remain true to her.
(b) She cannot trust him to capture Lucie and her daughter for execution.
(c) She cannot trust him to execute Charles.
(d) She cannot trust him to be a traitor to the Republic.
9. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
(a) He tells her to have courage.
(b) He tells her that she will have to find a new hiding place.
(c) He tells her all is lost.
(d) He tells her to go back to England immediately.
10. What does Barsard tell a man who is ridiculing Evremonde as he rides in the death cart?
(a) He deserves to die.
(b) He will die in pain.
(c) Give him some peace.
(d) Death to the aristocrat
11. Why does Charles Darnay feel completely lost when he returns to Paris?
(a) Charles doesn't know any of the people living in Paris now.
(b) The streets have all been reworked and changed.
(c) . Charles has forgotten a lot of the French language.
(d) Everything about France is suddenly completely changed and unfair.
12. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(b) The death of her own husband
(c) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(d) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
13. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
(b) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
(c) Mr. Carton is missing.
(d) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
14. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(b) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
(c) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
15. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
(a) He finds a new career.
(b) The North Tower and his shoemaking tools are destroyed.
(c) He keeps his promise to Lucie.
(d) He moves away from Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sydney Carton stop on the morning after Charles' trial?
2. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
3. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
4. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
5. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)