|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Lorry leave with Lucie, her child, and Miss Pross at their new lodgings?
(b) Doctor Manette
2. Who are the three witnesses against Charles Darnay at his trial?
(a) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and Doctor Manette
(b) Monsieur Defarge, Solomon, and The Vengeance
(c) Monsieur Defarge, The Vengeance, and Doctor Manette
(d) Monsieur Defarge, Madame Defarge, and The Vengeance
3. What is Mr. Lorry's plan for the safe departure of Lucie, her daughter, her father, her husband, Miss Pross, and Jerry Cruncher?
(a) His plan is for them to take a boat down the river.
(b) His plan is for all of them to hike through the mountains.
(c) His plan is for Miss Pross and Jerry to leave in a separate carriage after the rest of them.
(d) His plan is for all of them to cram into one carriage.
4. Who cries out Solomon's English identity when he sees Jerry and Miss Pross talking to him?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Monsieur Lafarge
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Sydney Carton
5. Who does Charles forget about as he writes letters to family and friends?
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Sydney Carton
(d) Mr. Lorry
6. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
(a) He tells her all is lost.
(b) He tells her to go back to England immediately.
(c) He tells her to have courage.
(d) He tells her that she will have to find a new hiding place.
7. What does Carton use as a means to convince Solomon to cooperate with him in helping Charles Darnay?
(a) Getting Solomon drunk
(b) The threat of La Guillotine
(c) A hand of cards
(d) Returning him to England
8. What reaction does Lucie have when she sees men and women dancing the Carmagnole?
(a) Lucie sees the dance as frivolous and a waste of time.
(b) Lucie sees the dance as way for the people to forget their suffering.
(c) Lucie sees the dance as something once innocent, turned cruel and ugly.
(d) Lucie sees the dance a good omen.
9. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
(a) He moves away from Paris.
(b) The North Tower and his shoemaking tools are destroyed.
(c) He finds a new career.
(d) He keeps his promise to Lucie.
10. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
(b) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
(c) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(d) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
11. What disguise are the two men turning the grindstone wearing?
(a) Burlap bags over their faces
(b) Masks of white powder
(c) False eyebrows and false eyelashes
(d) Wild boar heads over their faces
12. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
(a) Show mercy.
(b) Let him rot in prison.
(c) Set him free.
(d) Take off his head.
13. What becomes of the King of France in this new era of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, and Death?
(a) The king is imprisoned for life.
(b) The king is tried, doomed, and beheaded.
(c) The king is exile.
(d) The king escapes to England for safety.
14. What does Charles realize about the future peace of his family as he awaits execution?
(a) His family's peace depends upon a curse on his accusers.
(b) His family's peace depends upon his vow of vengeance.
(c) His family's peace depends upon his quiet fortitude.
(d) His family's peace depends upon his escape.
15. What is one of the frenzied aspirations of the people?
(a) Sacrifices and self-immolations
(b) Public hanging
(c) Public flogging
(d) Tarring and feathering
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sydney's intention now that Charles is out of the prison?
2. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
3. What is the verdict rendered to Charles Darnay?
4. What does Carton purchase after talking to the wood-sawyer?
5. What is the first thing Charles does when he is put in his cell?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)