|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
(a) He tells her that her family will pray for her soul.
(b) He tells her that she is too good for this world.
(c) He tells her there is no trouble or worry in the next world.
(d) He tells her that she is brave.
2. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
(a) Travel with an escort.
(b) Travel with soldiers.
(c) Travel with a caravan of immigrants.
(d) Travel alone, during the night.
3. What is Madame Defarge's reaction to the fate of Charles Darnay?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She is horrified.
(c) She smiles.
(d) She is indifferent.
4. What is the message that the visitors relate to Mr. Lorry?
(a) Charles Darnay is being held as a prisoner in Paris.
(b) Mr. Carton is missing.
(c) Monsieur Defarge was killed during a raid.
(d) Doctor Manette has been captured by the patriots.
5. How does Doctor Manette manage to visit Charles in prison?
(a) Manette becomes the prison's physician.
(b) Manette is allowed to visit because of his past imprisonment.
(c) Manette bribes the guards.
(d) Manette sneaks past the guards after dark.
6. What do the people of the city have to say about Sydney Carton's execution at La Guillotine?
(a) He is the most hysterical man ever to face La Guillotine
(b) He is the most fearful of all the condemned.
(c) He is the most peaceful man ever to be executed.
(d) He is the most prayerful of all the executed.
7. How many defenseless men and women held prisoner were killed during the four days Doctor Manette is away to help Charles?
8. Who are the two witnesses Darnay names in his behalf?
(a) Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry
(b) Theophile Gabelle and Alexandre Manette
(c) Mr. Lorry and Doctor Manette
(d) Doctor Manette and Alexandre Manette
9. What are Carton's true feelings about Mr. Lorry?
(a) He sees Mr. Lorry as a useless fool.
(b) He sees Mr. Lorry as a self-centered aristocrat.
(c) He views Mr. Lorry as a weakling and coward.
(d) He sees Mr. Lorry as a good man and true friend.
10. What becomes a symbol of the regeneration of the human race, superseding the Cross?
(b) A silver sword
(c) La Guillotine
(d) A golden idol of the new king
11. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
12. What does the evidence against Charles call up in the crowd at the trial?
(a) Their own past offenses
(b) Sympathy for Charles
(c) Mercy for the prisoners
(d) A passion for vengeance
13. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
(b) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
(c) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(d) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
14. What is the outcome of the struggle between Madame Defarge and Miss Pross?
(a) Miss Pross is stabbed.
(b) Madame Defarge is shot.
(c) Miss Pross is shot.
(d) Madame Defarge is stabbed.
15. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
(b) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(c) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(d) The death of her own husband
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Doctor Manette sure that there will be no more shoemaking or North Tower for him ever again?
2. What is the matter in which Madame Defarge cannot trust her husband?
3. How does Carton manage to get Charles out of his prison cell?
4. Who accompanies Mr. Lorry to go see Lucie?
5. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)