|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the question that Miss Pross has for Doctor Manette?
(a) Will they be able to become citizens of France?
(b) When will they be able to go back to England?
(c) How can she go about joining the patriots' cause?
(d) When will a new king rule France?
2. What is the unanimous vote at Charles' trial?
(a) Prison for life
(c) Hanging in two weeks
(d) Death within 24 hours
3. What has the wood-sawyer named his saw?
(a) My Sharp Razor
(b) My Dear Livelihood
(c) My Little Guillotine
(d) My Little Shaver
4. Why do men and women gather in the courtyard to sharpen weapons on the grindstone?
(a) They are sharpening weapons for the king's soldiers.
(b) They are slaughtering cattle.
(c) They are preparing for an invasion.
(d) They are killing the prisoners.
5. What does Mr. Lorry tell Lucie before he leaves her lodging?
(a) He tells her to go back to England immediately.
(b) He tells her to have courage.
(c) He tells her that she will have to find a new hiding place.
(d) He tells her all is lost.
6. How long has Charles been in prison at this point?
(a) One year and three months
(b) Two years
(c) Six months
(d) Two weeks
7. What is the physical appearance of the men and women sharpening weapons in the courtyard?
(a) They are dressed in uniforms.
(b) They wear clean clothes and white wigs.
(c) They are covered in blood.
(d) They are dressed in party wear.
8. What do Mr. Lorry and Carton find falling out of the doctor's pocket?
(a) Papers that allow safe passage out of France
(b) Papers denying safe passage out of France
(c) Papers condemning Charles
(d) Papers condemning the doctor and Lucie
9. Where does Miss Pross run across her long lost brother, Solomon?
(a) The Good Republican Brutus of Antiquity
(b) The La Forge prison
(c) At La Guillotine
(d) Tellson's Bank
10. What is the family name that is detested by Saint Antoine?
11. What is Madame Defarge plotting?
(a) The death of Lucie, her daughter, and her father
(b) The imprisonment of Doctor Manette
(c) The death of her own husband
(d) The death of Mr. Lorry and Jerry Cruncher
12. How many people are condemned to die on the same day as Charles?
13. What bothers Lorry about the Defarges?
(a) Their dreadful manner
(b) Their lust for blood
(c) They seem too happy.
(d) Their ignorance
14. What is the position of Solomon that Sydney Carton is most interested in?
(a) Solomon is an ally of The Vengeance.
(b) Solomon is an executioner using La Guillotine.
(c) Solomon is one of the prison guards.
(d) Solomon is a turnkey at the Conciergerie.
15. What startles Lucie as she sits in her home listening to her father tell Little Lucie a story?
(a) Footsteps on the stairs
(b) A drum in the distance
(c) A rap on the door
(d) A rock thrown at the window
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carton comfort the seamstress who is executed before him?
2. What does Carton instruct Charles to do when he goes to his prison cell?
3. What request does Lucie present to the four men holding her husband?
4. What does the audience yell out as Darnay's name is called?
5. While Charles Darnay is on his way to Paris, he is awakened in the middle of the night by French patriots. What do they insist he must do to get to Paris?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)