|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Jerry Cruncher
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Charles Darnay
2. Chapter 22
What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
(a) Ask for mercy
(b) Eat grass
(c) Beg for food
(d) Steal bread from the rich
3. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
(a) He approves of the plans.
(b) He advises against the plans.
(c) He laughs in Stryver's face.
(d) He is not interested in the plans.
4. Chapter 20
Who is the first person to visit the newlyweds when they return home?
(a) Miss Pross
(b) Sydney Carton
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Mr. Lorry
5. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
(a) A loving brother
(b) A loyal Englishman
(c) A sad, depressed man
(d) A heartless scoundrel
6. Chapter 17
Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
(a) She is happy that they are moving away from Soho.
(b) She is happy that she is to go to Cambridge.
(c) She is happy for the love Heaven has bestowed on her.
(d) She is happy that her father is finally well and healthy.
7. Chapter 2
What is the punishment for treason?
(c) Life in prison
8. What is the condition of Doctor Manette at this time?
(a) He is fully recovered and energetic.
(b) He is gradually becoming well.
(c) He remains weak and sickly.
(d) He is senile and grumpy.
9. Chapter 14
What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
(a) He is a bandit.
(b) He is a sheep smuggler.
(c) He is a grave robber.
(d) He is a spy.
10. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He asks the doctor's advice on what to do about a friend who had a mental shock.
(b) He asks the doctor if he has heard from Lucie.
(c) He tells the doctor that he is going on a trip.
(d) He asks the doctor if he is accepting new patients.
11. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
(a) How long he has wandered the earth
(b) What he wants
(c) How long he was buried
(d) Who he is here to see
12. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
(a) Carton finds him offensive.
(b) Carton seriously considers the advice.
(c) Carton accepts the advice with grace.
(d) Carton is thankful for the advice.
13. What does Lucie request of her husband regarding Mr. Carton?
(a) She asks him to pay Carton to go away.
(b) She asks that he disregard Mr. Carton's faults.
(c) She asks that he never speak to Mr. Carton again.
(d) She asks him to give Mr. Carton a job.
14. Chapter 23
How do the common people of France feel about the aristocracy?
(a) They believe the aristocracy will share their wealth with them.
(b) They believe the aristocracy is their only hope for survival.
(c) They have faith in the aristocracy.
(d) They believe the aristocracy has squeezed everything they can from the common people.
15. What is Monsieur Defarge's roll in the storming of the Bastille?
(a) He is not involved.
(b) He is a cannonier.
(c) He holds the flag.
(d) He gives supplies to the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year the story is taking place?
2. Chapter 11 What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
3. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
4. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
5. What is the news that Lorry gives to his visitor?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)