|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship Carton has with Stryver?
(a) Carton is Stryver's cousin.
(b) Carton is Stryver's ally.
(c) Carton is Stryver's enemy.
(d) Carton is Stryver's brother-in-law.
2. Chapter 1
Describe Tellson's Bank.
(a) A tiny place with dingy windows
(b) A large bank with huge oak doors
(c) A moderate sized bank with shiny floors
(d) A large, austere bank
3. Chapter 9
How does Charles Darnay react to dining with Marquis Evremonde?
(a) Charles always looks foreword to dining with the Marquis.
(b) Charles enjoys the meal thoroughly.
(c) Charles considers it an unpleasant encounter.
(d) Charles enjoys the pleasant conversations with the Marquis.
4. Chapter 2
What is the name of the hill that the Dover mail carriage is struggling to climb through the mud?
(a) Dover Rise
(b) Tellson's Hill
(c) Dover Hill
(d) Shooter's Hill
5. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
(a) Stryver tells Lorry that he never wants to see him again.
(b) Stryver tells Lorry that he is an empty-headed scoundrel.
(c) He thanks Mr. Lorry, asking him not to mention it again.
(d) He tells him that he doesn't agree with the advice.
6. Who owns a prosperous wine shop in Paris?
(a) Mr. Tellson
(b) Doctor Manette
(d) Jacques Defarge
7. Chapter 3
What does Jerry ponder that every house, room, and heart in a city holds?
(a) Happy families
(b) Smiling children
(c) Its own secret
(d) Sad families
8. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
(a) The world is for the wild animals.
(b) The earth and its fullness are his.
(c) The earth's riches are for the downtrodden.
(d) The world is for all the people.
9. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
(a) Goes to bed
(b) Takes a drink
(c) Sees to patients
(d) Make shoes
10. Chapter 18
What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
(a) Vibrant and happy
(b) Nervous and fidgety
(c) Excited but nervous
(d) Deathly pale
11. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
(a) It continues on but with less corruption.
(b) It lives on, oppressing the common people.
(c) It is gone altogether.
(d) Its loyal subjects make it thrive.
12. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He goes on a vacation with Mr. Lorry.
(b) He goes to a medical conference in London.
(c) He goes to visit the newlyweds.
(d) He goes for a hike in the mountains.
13. What is the fate of old Foulon?
(a) He is killed by wild animals in the wilderness.
(b) The crowd stuffs grass in his mouth, pummels him, drags him, stabs him, and hangs him.
(c) He dies of starvation.
(d) He falls into the river and drowns.
14. What is the punishment for forgers, thieves, and counterfeiters?
(b) Cutting off a hand
(d) Going to a labor camp
15. What is the name of the intruder who stops at the mail carriage, asking for Mr. Jarvis Lorry?
(a) Mr. Tellson
(b) Miss Dover
(c) Mrs. Hill
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are families in England cautioned to put their furniture in storage if they travel out of town?
2. Chapter 13 How does Sydney Carton feel when he visits the Manettes?
3. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
4. What does Carton say he would do for Lucie and anyone dear to her?
5. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)