|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
(a) To move away from the area
(b) To learn how to speak French
(c) To find a respectable woman who owns property
(d) To find a better career
2. Chapter 2
What is the name of the hill that the Dover mail carriage is struggling to climb through the mud?
(a) Shooter's Hill
(b) Dover Rise
(c) Dover Hill
(d) Tellson's Hill
3. Why are families in England cautioned to put their furniture in storage if they travel out of town?
(a) Mice run rampant if no one is in the house.
(b) Fires are a source of worry.
(c) The constant rainfall can cause the house to flood.
(d) Burglaries take place every night.
4. What is the fate of old Foulon?
(a) He falls into the river and drowns.
(b) He is killed by wild animals in the wilderness.
(c) The crowd stuffs grass in his mouth, pummels him, drags him, stabs him, and hangs him.
(d) He dies of starvation.
5. Who does Dickens describe as the idlest and most unpromising man?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Mr. Stryver
(c) Charles Darnay
(d) Sydney Carton
6. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
(a) Takes a drink
(b) Sees to patients
(c) Goes to bed
(d) Make shoes
7. Chapter 22
What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
(a) Ask for mercy
(b) Beg for food
(c) Steal bread from the rich
(d) Eat grass
8. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
(a) The Marquis argues with Gabelle.
(b) The Marquis is stabbed through the heart.
(c) The Marquis falls down the stairs.
(d) The Marquis has an argument with his wife.
9. What is the name of the intruder who stops at the mail carriage, asking for Mr. Jarvis Lorry?
(b) Mr. Tellson
(c) Miss Dover
(d) Mrs. Hill
10. Chapter 11
What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
(a) He is joining the King's guard.
(b) He is moving to Paris.
(c) He intends to marry Lucie.
(d) He intends to marry Miss Pross.
11. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) It deteriorates through the years.
(b) It burns to the ground.
(c) It becomes a convent.
(d) It is reconstructed by the common people.
12. What does Madame Defarge do in her usual spot in the wine shop?
(a) Gossips to customers
(b) Bottles wine
13. Chapter 21
What is the grief that strikes the Darnay household?
(a) Mr. Lorry is arrested.
(b) Doctor Manette dies.
(c) Miss Pross leaves them.
(d) One of the children dies
14. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
(a) Manette seems overjoyed.
(b) Manette looks like he was struck with a poisoned blow.
(c) Manette is relieved that Lucie is gone.
(d) Manette seems too happy.
15. What is the news that Lorry gives to his visitor?
(a) Her father is dead.
(b) Her father had an accident.
(c) Her father is alive.
(d) Her father is coming for a visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
2. Chapter 18 What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
3. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
4. Chapter 7 How many men does it take to serve the Monseigneur his chocolate every morning?
5. What is the prisoner's reaction as he waits before the large crowd to be tried?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)