|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about the child he had never seen.
(b) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
(c) He thought about escape.
(d) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
2. Who does Charles Darnay find attractive?
(a) Miss Lorry
(b) Mrs. Defarge
(c) Miss Pross
(d) Lucie Manette
3. What is the news that Lorry gives to his visitor?
(a) Her father is alive.
(b) Her father had an accident.
(c) Her father is coming for a visit.
(d) Her father is dead.
4. Chapter 2
What is the name of the hill that the Dover mail carriage is struggling to climb through the mud?
(a) Shooter's Hill
(b) Tellson's Hill
(c) Dover Rise
(d) Dover Hill
5. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
(a) The world is for the wild animals.
(b) The world is for all the people.
(c) The earth and its fullness are his.
(d) The earth's riches are for the downtrodden.
6. What is the first thing Doctor Manette recognizes about his daughter?
(a) The shape of her mouth
(b) Her lips
(c) Her eyes
(d) Her hair
7. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
(a) Defarge tells the grieving man that he now has one less mouth to feed.
(b) Defarge tells the grieving man that his child is in heaven now.
(c) Defarge tells the grieving man that the child is better off dying without pain than living a life full of pain.
(d) Defarge tells the grieving man that he can have other children.
8. Chapter 22
What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
(a) Ask for mercy
(b) Eat grass
(c) Steal bread from the rich
(d) Beg for food
9. Chapter 2
What is the punishment for treason?
(a) Life in prison
10. What is the fate of old Foulon?
(a) The crowd stuffs grass in his mouth, pummels him, drags him, stabs him, and hangs him.
(b) He is killed by wild animals in the wilderness.
(c) He falls into the river and drowns.
(d) He dies of starvation.
11. Who is guarding the Marquis' countryside chateau?
(b) Doctor Manette
12. What does Carton say he would do for Lucie and anyone dear to her?
(a) He would sacrifice everything for them.
(b) He would give them a job.
(c) He would teach them the ways of the world.
(d) He would lend them money.
13. Chapter 9
How does Charles Darnay react to dining with Marquis Evremonde?
(a) Charles always looks foreword to dining with the Marquis.
(b) Charles enjoys the meal thoroughly.
(c) Charles considers it an unpleasant encounter.
(d) Charles enjoys the pleasant conversations with the Marquis.
14. Who does odd jobs for Tellson's Bank?
(a) Jerry Cruncher
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Defarge's wife
(d) Miss Pross
15. What does Defarge take to the King and Queen about Marquis Evremonde's murderer?
(a) A petition on the murderer's behalf
(b) Evidence against the murderer
(c) The dagger used to stab the Marquis
(d) The body of the Marquis
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the newlywed's visitor ask of Charles?
2. What does Madame Defarge do in her usual spot in the wine shop?
3. What are Mr. Carton's feelings toward Charles Darnay?
4. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
5. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)