|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is guarding the Marquis' countryside chateau?
(a) Doctor Manette
2. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He goes for a hike in the mountains.
(b) He goes to a medical conference in London.
(c) He goes to visit the newlyweds.
(d) He goes on a vacation with Mr. Lorry.
3. Chapter 21
What is the grief that strikes the Darnay household?
(a) One of the children dies
(b) Doctor Manette dies.
(c) Miss Pross leaves them.
(d) Mr. Lorry is arrested.
4. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
(a) He tells him that he doesn't agree with the advice.
(b) Stryver tells Lorry that he never wants to see him again.
(c) Stryver tells Lorry that he is an empty-headed scoundrel.
(d) He thanks Mr. Lorry, asking him not to mention it again.
5. What is the prisoner's reaction as he waits before the large crowd to be tried?
(a) He is calm and attentive.
(b) He is blubbering.
(c) He is crying and moaning.
(d) He is begging for mercy.
6. Chapter 12
Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
(a) He visits Lorry to tell him about his upcoming plans.
(b) He visits Lorry to invite him on vacation with him.
(c) He visits Lorry to invite him out for a drink.
(d) He visits Lorry to tell him the latest gossip.
7. What is in the letter that Gabelle sends to Charles Darnay?
(a) A request for employment
(b) A request that Charles rescue him from prison
(c) A request for money
(d) A request for a new home
8. What is the punishment for forgers, thieves, and counterfeiters?
(b) Going to a labor camp
(d) Cutting off a hand
9. Chapter 11
What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
(a) He is joining the King's guard.
(b) He intends to marry Lucie.
(c) He is moving to Paris.
(d) He intends to marry Miss Pross.
10. Who does odd jobs for Tellson's Bank?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Miss Pross
(c) Defarge's wife
(d) Jerry Cruncher
11. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
(a) Defarge tells the grieving man that he now has one less mouth to feed.
(b) Defarge tells the grieving man that the child is better off dying without pain than living a life full of pain.
(c) Defarge tells the grieving man that his child is in heaven now.
(d) Defarge tells the grieving man that he can have other children.
12. Chapter 6
Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
(a) Outside of London
(b) Near Soho square on a quiet street corner
(c) In Paris
(d) Near Trafalgar Square
13. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
(a) He loves her completely.
(b) He finds her annoying.
(c) He views her as a sister.
(d) She is only a friend to him.
14. What does it mean when Defarge and his followers register the inhabitants of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) Invite them to the yearly wine tasting
(b) Add them as favorite customers
(c) Add them to the list of wine deliveries
(d) Mark them for death
15. What is the fate of old Foulon?
(a) He is killed by wild animals in the wilderness.
(b) He falls into the river and drowns.
(c) The crowd stuffs grass in his mouth, pummels him, drags him, stabs him, and hangs him.
(d) He dies of starvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 16 Who is the spy that is commissioned for Defarge's neighborhood?
2. What does Carton say he would do for Lucie and anyone dear to her?
3. Chapter 5 What do most men do as a pastime during the time the story is taking place?
4. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
5. What steps does Foulon take to protect himself from the revolutionaries?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)