|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people does Miss Pross tell Mr. Lorry come calling for Miss Lucie?
2. Why are families in England cautioned to put their furniture in storage if they travel out of town?
(a) Fires are a source of worry.
(b) Burglaries take place every night.
(c) Mice run rampant if no one is in the house.
(d) The constant rainfall can cause the house to flood.
3. What is the name of the intruder who stops at the mail carriage, asking for Mr. Jarvis Lorry?
(a) Mr. Tellson
(c) Miss Dover
(d) Mrs. Hill
4. Chapter 17
Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
(a) She is happy that they are moving away from Soho.
(b) She is happy for the love Heaven has bestowed on her.
(c) She is happy that her father is finally well and healthy.
(d) She is happy that she is to go to Cambridge.
5. Chapter 8
What does the man hanging onto Marquis Evremonde's carriage do?
(a) He grabs the horse's reins.
(b) He jumps into the river.
(c) He attacks the Marquis.
(d) He screams that the Marquis is a murderer.
6. What is the physical and emotional condition of Doctor Manette?
(a) He is thin but lucid.
(b) He is weak but happy.
(c) He is strong and proud.
(d) He is a broken and empty man.
7. What is the reason for the prisoner's acquittal?
(a) Inability to identify him
(b) Many witnesses for his behalf
(c) The confession of a stranger
(d) A letter from the king
8. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
(a) His nephew, Charles
(b) His wife
(c) His children
(d) His cousin, Jerry
9. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
(a) He laughs in Stryver's face.
(b) He advises against the plans.
(c) He is not interested in the plans.
(d) He approves of the plans.
10. Who revives Miss Manette with smelling salts after she faints?
(a) The messenger
(c) Miss Pross
(d) Mr. Lorry
11. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
(a) He tells him that he doesn't agree with the advice.
(b) Stryver tells Lorry that he never wants to see him again.
(c) He thanks Mr. Lorry, asking him not to mention it again.
(d) Stryver tells Lorry that he is an empty-headed scoundrel.
12. Chapter 6
What is Doctor Manette doing for a living which is far below a medical practice?
(a) Delivering groceries
(b) Making shoes
(c) Shoveling manure
(d) Milking cows
13. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She turns and runs away.
(b) She screams at the sight.
(c) She cuts off his head.
(d) She cheers.
14. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) It deteriorates through the years.
(b) It burns to the ground.
(c) It becomes a convent.
(d) It is reconstructed by the common people.
15. Chapter 13
How does Sydney Carton feel when he visits the Manettes?
(a) Serious and stern
(b) Grumpy and argumentative
(c) Despondent and morose
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
2. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
3. What does Lorry do with Doctor Manette's shoemaking implements?
4. What steps does Foulon take to protect himself from the revolutionaries?
5. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)