|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
(a) Mr. Lorry
(b) Mr. Stryver
(c) Mr. Carton
(d) Mr. Barsard
2. Why are families in England cautioned to put their furniture in storage if they travel out of town?
(a) Mice run rampant if no one is in the house.
(b) The constant rainfall can cause the house to flood.
(c) Fires are a source of worry.
(d) Burglaries take place every night.
3. What is in the letter that Gabelle sends to Charles Darnay?
(a) A request for a new home
(b) A request for employment
(c) A request for money
(d) A request that Charles rescue him from prison
4. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
(a) His children
(b) His cousin, Jerry
(c) His nephew, Charles
(d) His wife
5. Who is guarding the Marquis' countryside chateau?
(a) Doctor Manette
6. Chapter 5
What are dozens of Parisians sipping off the ground before it soaks into the earth?
7. Chapter 15
What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
(a) The talk is about the Marquis refusing to buy a gravestone.
(b) The talk is about Lucie Manette's suitor.
(c) Everyone is talking about the man who was seen underneath Marquis Evremonde's carriage.
(d) The talk is about Marquis Evremonde's heir.
8. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
(a) Stryver tells Lorry that he never wants to see him again.
(b) Stryver tells Lorry that he is an empty-headed scoundrel.
(c) He tells him that he doesn't agree with the advice.
(d) He thanks Mr. Lorry, asking him not to mention it again.
9. Chapter 22
What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
(a) Steal bread from the rich
(b) Beg for food
(c) Ask for mercy
(d) Eat grass
10. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
(a) Sees to patients
(b) Goes to bed
(c) Make shoes
(d) Takes a drink
11. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
(a) Jerry Cruncher
(b) Charles Darnay
(c) Doctor Manette
(d) Mr. Lorry
12. Who owns a prosperous wine shop in Paris?
(a) Jacques Defarge
(b) Mr. Tellson
(c) Doctor Manette
13. What does Lucie request of her husband regarding Mr. Carton?
(a) She asks that he disregard Mr. Carton's faults.
(b) She asks him to pay Carton to go away.
(c) She asks that he never speak to Mr. Carton again.
(d) She asks him to give Mr. Carton a job.
14. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He asks the doctor's advice on what to do about a friend who had a mental shock.
(b) He asks the doctor if he has heard from Lucie.
(c) He asks the doctor if he is accepting new patients.
(d) He tells the doctor that he is going on a trip.
15. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
(a) The end is near.
(b) Send someone for my bags.
(c) Recalled to life
(d) Will meet you for tea
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 What does Jerry ponder that every house, room, and heart in a city holds?
2. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
3. Chapter 4 Who does the acquitted prisoner dine with after the trial?
4. Where does Mr. Lorry decide to relocate?
5. What is a typical condition of the common people in France?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)