|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He asks the doctor's advice on what to do about a friend who had a mental shock.
(b) He tells the doctor that he is going on a trip.
(c) He asks the doctor if he is accepting new patients.
(d) He asks the doctor if he has heard from Lucie.
2. Chapter 15
What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
(a) The talk is about the Marquis refusing to buy a gravestone.
(b) The talk is about Lucie Manette's suitor.
(c) The talk is about Marquis Evremonde's heir.
(d) Everyone is talking about the man who was seen underneath Marquis Evremonde's carriage.
3. What does the newlywed's visitor ask of Charles?
(a) He asks to be his friend.
(b) He asks for a loan.
(c) He asks for French lessons.
(d) He asks for a recommendation to Cambridge.
4. What does Defarge take to the King and Queen about Marquis Evremonde's murderer?
(a) The body of the Marquis
(b) The dagger used to stab the Marquis
(c) A petition on the murderer's behalf
(d) Evidence against the murderer
5. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
(a) He finds her annoying.
(b) He loves her completely.
(c) He views her as a sister.
(d) She is only a friend to him.
6. What does Carton confess to Lucie when he visits her?
(a) He will never give up trying to get her.
(b) He is saddened by his love for Miss Pross.
(c) He is stupid and foolhardy.
(d) He is inspired by his love for her.
7. Chapter 12
Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
(a) He visits Lorry to tell him about his upcoming plans.
(b) He visits Lorry to invite him on vacation with him.
(c) He visits Lorry to tell him the latest gossip.
(d) He visits Lorry to invite him out for a drink.
8. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
(a) Will meet you for tea
(b) The end is near.
(c) Send someone for my bags.
(d) Recalled to life
9. Chapter 5
What are dozens of Parisians sipping off the ground before it soaks into the earth?
10. Chapter 21
What is the grief that strikes the Darnay household?
(a) Doctor Manette dies.
(b) Mr. Lorry is arrested.
(c) One of the children dies
(d) Miss Pross leaves them.
11. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
(a) Carton finds him offensive.
(b) Carton accepts the advice with grace.
(c) Carton is thankful for the advice.
(d) Carton seriously considers the advice.
12. What steps does Foulon take to protect himself from the revolutionaries?
(a) He stages his own death.
(b) He hides in the mountains.
(c) He lives in a cave.
(d) He leaves the country.
13. What is the name of the intruder who stops at the mail carriage, asking for Mr. Jarvis Lorry?
(a) Mrs. Hill
(c) Mr. Tellson
(d) Miss Dover
14. Chapter 5
What do most men do as a pastime during the time the story is taking place?
(a) Play cards
(b) Go for long walks
(c) Drink heavily
(d) Play chess
15. Chapter 6
Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
(a) In Paris
(b) Near Trafalgar Square
(c) Near Soho square on a quiet street corner
(d) Outside of London
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 11 What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
2. What is the condition of Doctor Manette at this time?
3. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
4. Chapter 3 What is the name of the prosecutor's witness?
5. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)