|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
(a) He is not interested in the plans.
(b) He approves of the plans.
(c) He advises against the plans.
(d) He laughs in Stryver's face.
2. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
(a) He finds her annoying.
(b) He loves her completely.
(c) She is only a friend to him.
(d) He views her as a sister.
3. Chapter 23
How do the common people of France feel about the aristocracy?
(a) They believe the aristocracy will share their wealth with them.
(b) They believe the aristocracy is their only hope for survival.
(c) They have faith in the aristocracy.
(d) They believe the aristocracy has squeezed everything they can from the common people.
4. Chapter 20
Who is the first person to visit the newlyweds when they return home?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Miss Pross
(c) Sydney Carton
(d) Mr. Lorry
5. What is the relationship Carton has with Stryver?
(a) Carton is Stryver's enemy.
(b) Carton is Stryver's cousin.
(c) Carton is Stryver's ally.
(d) Carton is Stryver's brother-in-law.
6. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) It is reconstructed by the common people.
(b) It burns to the ground.
(c) It becomes a convent.
(d) It deteriorates through the years.
7. What is the physical and emotional condition of Doctor Manette?
(a) He is strong and proud.
(b) He is weak but happy.
(c) He is thin but lucid.
(d) He is a broken and empty man.
8. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
(a) Goes to bed
(b) Make shoes
(c) Takes a drink
(d) Sees to patients
9. Chapter 14
What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
(a) He is a sheep smuggler.
(b) He is a grave robber.
(c) He is a spy.
(d) He is a bandit.
10. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Charles Darnay
(c) Jerry Cruncher
(d) Mr. Lorry
11. What is the fate of old Foulon?
(a) He dies of starvation.
(b) He falls into the river and drowns.
(c) He is killed by wild animals in the wilderness.
(d) The crowd stuffs grass in his mouth, pummels him, drags him, stabs him, and hangs him.
12. Chapter 5
What are dozens of Parisians sipping off the ground before it soaks into the earth?
13. Chapter 13
How does Sydney Carton feel when he visits the Manettes?
(a) Despondent and morose
(c) Grumpy and argumentative
(d) Serious and stern
14. Chapter 2
What is the punishment for treason?
(b) Life in prison
15. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He asks the doctor if he has heard from Lucie.
(b) He asks the doctor's advice on what to do about a friend who had a mental shock.
(c) He tells the doctor that he is going on a trip.
(d) He asks the doctor if he is accepting new patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Defarge do in her usual spot in the wine shop?
2. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
3. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
4. What is the common view of Jerry's secret trade?
5. Chapter 15 What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)