|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
(a) He finds her annoying.
(b) She is only a friend to him.
(c) He loves her completely.
(d) He views her as a sister.
2. Who owns a prosperous wine shop in Paris?
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Mr. Tellson
(d) Jacques Defarge
3. What does Defarge take to the King and Queen about Marquis Evremonde's murderer?
(a) Evidence against the murderer
(b) The body of the Marquis
(c) The dagger used to stab the Marquis
(d) A petition on the murderer's behalf
4. What is the name of the intruder who stops at the mail carriage, asking for Mr. Jarvis Lorry?
(a) Mr. Tellson
(b) Mrs. Hill
(c) Miss Dover
5. Chapter 21
What is the grief that strikes the Darnay household?
(a) Doctor Manette dies.
(b) Miss Pross leaves them.
(c) One of the children dies
(d) Mr. Lorry is arrested.
6. Chapter 2
What is the punishment for treason?
(b) Life in prison
7. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She turns and runs away.
(b) She screams at the sight.
(c) She cuts off his head.
(d) She cheers.
8. Chapter 15
What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
(a) Everyone is talking about the man who was seen underneath Marquis Evremonde's carriage.
(b) The talk is about the Marquis refusing to buy a gravestone.
(c) The talk is about Lucie Manette's suitor.
(d) The talk is about Marquis Evremonde's heir.
9. Chapter 14
What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
(a) He is a spy.
(b) He is a grave robber.
(c) He is a sheep smuggler.
(d) He is a bandit.
10. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about the child he had never seen.
(b) He thought about escape.
(c) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
(d) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
11. What does Madame Defarge do in her usual spot in the wine shop?
(c) Bottles wine
(d) Gossips to customers
12. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
(a) The Marquis is stabbed through the heart.
(b) The Marquis argues with Gabelle.
(c) The Marquis has an argument with his wife.
(d) The Marquis falls down the stairs.
13. What does Stryver say to Mr. Lorry about the advice Lorry gives him?
(a) He tells him that he doesn't agree with the advice.
(b) He thanks Mr. Lorry, asking him not to mention it again.
(c) Stryver tells Lorry that he is an empty-headed scoundrel.
(d) Stryver tells Lorry that he never wants to see him again.
14. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
(a) A warm meal
(b) A pair of shoes
(c) A job
(d) A gravestone
15. Chapter 22
What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
(a) Steal bread from the rich
(b) Beg for food
(c) Ask for mercy
(d) Eat grass
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
2. What does Lorry do with Doctor Manette's shoemaking implements?
3. Chapter 5 What do most men do as a pastime during the time the story is taking place?
4. Chapter 5 What are dozens of Parisians sipping off the ground before it soaks into the earth?
5. What does Charles decide to do about his future inheritance?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)