|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 2
What is the punishment for treason?
(c) Life in prison
2. Who is the prisoner's counsel?
(a) Mr. Barsard
(b) Mr. Carton
(c) Mr. Lorry
(d) Mr. Stryver
3. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
(a) The Marquis is stabbed through the heart.
(b) The Marquis argues with Gabelle.
(c) The Marquis has an argument with his wife.
(d) The Marquis falls down the stairs.
4. Where does Mr. Lorry decide to relocate?
(a) He decides to move to France.
(b) He decides to move to Scotland.
(c) He decides to move to Wales.
(d) He decides to move to Italy.
5. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She screams at the sight.
(b) She cuts off his head.
(c) She turns and runs away.
(d) She cheers.
6. Who does the Marquis look for when he arrives home?
(a) His wife
(b) His cousin, Jerry
(c) His nephew, Charles
(d) His children
7. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
(a) Doctor Manette
(b) Mr. Lorry
(c) Jerry Cruncher
(d) Charles Darnay
8. Chapter 5
What do most men do as a pastime during the time the story is taking place?
(a) Play chess
(b) Go for long walks
(c) Play cards
(d) Drink heavily
9. Chapter 14
What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
(a) He is a spy.
(b) He is a bandit.
(c) He is a sheep smuggler.
(d) He is a grave robber.
10. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
(a) Carton is thankful for the advice.
(b) Carton finds him offensive.
(c) Carton accepts the advice with grace.
(d) Carton seriously considers the advice.
11. What does Madame Defarge do in her usual spot in the wine shop?
(b) Bottles wine
(d) Gossips to customers
12. What does Defarge tell the grieving man who cries over the child that is killed by Monsieur the Marquis' carriage?
(a) Defarge tells the grieving man that he can have other children.
(b) Defarge tells the grieving man that the child is better off dying without pain than living a life full of pain.
(c) Defarge tells the grieving man that he now has one less mouth to feed.
(d) Defarge tells the grieving man that his child is in heaven now.
13. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
(a) She is only a friend to him.
(b) He finds her annoying.
(c) He loves her completely.
(d) He views her as a sister.
14. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) It is reconstructed by the common people.
(b) It burns to the ground.
(c) It deteriorates through the years.
(d) It becomes a convent.
15. What does it mean when Defarge and his followers register the inhabitants of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) Invite them to the yearly wine tasting
(b) Mark them for death
(c) Add them to the list of wine deliveries
(d) Add them as favorite customers
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does odd jobs for Tellson's Bank?
2. What is Monsieur Defarge's roll in the storming of the Bastille?
3. Chapter 9 How does Charles Darnay react to dining with Marquis Evremonde?
4. Chapter 2 What is the name of the hill that the Dover mail carriage is struggling to climb through the mud?
5. What does Charles decide to do about his future inheritance?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)