|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
(b) He thought about escape.
(c) He thought about the child he had never seen.
(d) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
2. Chapter 5
What are dozens of Parisians sipping off the ground before it soaks into the earth?
3. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She screams at the sight.
(b) She cuts off his head.
(c) She cheers.
(d) She turns and runs away.
4. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
(a) Mr. Lorry
(b) Jerry Cruncher
(c) Charles Darnay
(d) Doctor Manette
5. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
(a) To find a respectable woman who owns property
(b) To learn how to speak French
(c) To find a better career
(d) To move away from the area
6. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
(a) He approves of the plans.
(b) He is not interested in the plans.
(c) He laughs in Stryver's face.
(d) He advises against the plans.
7. What is the reason for the prisoner's acquittal?
(a) Many witnesses for his behalf
(b) A letter from the king
(c) Inability to identify him
(d) The confession of a stranger
8. What is the year the story is taking place?
9. Chapter 7
How many men does it take to serve the Monseigneur his chocolate every morning?
10. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
(a) It lives on, oppressing the common people.
(b) It continues on but with less corruption.
(c) Its loyal subjects make it thrive.
(d) It is gone altogether.
11. What does Carton confess to Lucie when he visits her?
(a) He is inspired by his love for her.
(b) He is stupid and foolhardy.
(c) He is saddened by his love for Miss Pross.
(d) He will never give up trying to get her.
12. Chapter 15
What is the gossip of the day at Defarge's wine shop?
(a) The talk is about Marquis Evremonde's heir.
(b) Everyone is talking about the man who was seen underneath Marquis Evremonde's carriage.
(c) The talk is about Lucie Manette's suitor.
(d) The talk is about the Marquis refusing to buy a gravestone.
13. What is the relationship Carton has with Stryver?
(a) Carton is Stryver's enemy.
(b) Carton is Stryver's cousin.
(c) Carton is Stryver's ally.
(d) Carton is Stryver's brother-in-law.
14. Chapter 16
Who is the spy that is commissioned for Defarge's neighborhood?
(a) Roger Cly
(b) Charles Darnay
(c) John Barsard
(d) Doctor Manette
15. How many people does Miss Pross tell Mr. Lorry come calling for Miss Lucie?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who revives Miss Manette with smelling salts after she faints?
2. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
3. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
4. Chapter 2 What is the punishment for treason?
5. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)