|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
(a) He advises against the plans.
(b) He approves of the plans.
(c) He laughs in Stryver's face.
(d) He is not interested in the plans.
2. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
(a) Carton is thankful for the advice.
(b) Carton finds him offensive.
(c) Carton seriously considers the advice.
(d) Carton accepts the advice with grace.
3. How do the three passengers in the coach relate to one another?
(a) They are business partners.
(b) They are life long friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are mysteries to each other.
4. Why are families in England cautioned to put their furniture in storage if they travel out of town?
(a) The constant rainfall can cause the house to flood.
(b) Mice run rampant if no one is in the house.
(c) Burglaries take place every night.
(d) Fires are a source of worry.
5. Chapter 4
Who visits Lorry the day after he arrives at the Royal George Hotel?
(a) Miss Pross
(b) Mr. Tellson
(d) Miss Lucie Manette
6. What is the reason for the prisoner's acquittal?
(a) Many witnesses for his behalf
(b) A letter from the king
(c) Inability to identify him
(d) The confession of a stranger
7. Who is guarding the Marquis' countryside chateau?
(b) Doctor Manette
8. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He goes to a medical conference in London.
(b) He goes for a hike in the mountains.
(c) He goes to visit the newlyweds.
(d) He goes on a vacation with Mr. Lorry.
9. How many people does Miss Pross tell Mr. Lorry come calling for Miss Lucie?
10. Chapter 5
What do most men do as a pastime during the time the story is taking place?
(a) Go for long walks
(b) Play chess
(c) Drink heavily
(d) Play cards
11. What does Jerry's son tell him later in the evening?
(a) He wants to follow in his father's footsteps.
(b) He is going to tell everyone what Jerry's secret trade is.
(c) He is going to the authorities about Jerry's secret trade.
(d) He is going to tell his mother what Jerry is up to.
12. What does Madame Defarge do in her usual spot in the wine shop?
(b) Gossips to customers
(c) Bottles wine
13. Chapter 18
What is the condition of Doctor Manette when Charles leaves his room on Lucie's wedding day?
(a) Nervous and fidgety
(b) Vibrant and happy
(c) Excited but nervous
(d) Deathly pale
14. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He tells the doctor that he is going on a trip.
(b) He asks the doctor if he has heard from Lucie.
(c) He asks the doctor's advice on what to do about a friend who had a mental shock.
(d) He asks the doctor if he is accepting new patients.
15. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
(a) To move away from the area
(b) To find a respectable woman who owns property
(c) To learn how to speak French
(d) To find a better career
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lorry observe about Doctor Manette after Lucie's wedding?
2. Chapter 14 What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
3. Chapter 8 What does the man hanging onto Marquis Evremonde's carriage do?
4. Chapter 20 Who is the first person to visit the newlyweds when they return home?
5. What does Defarge take to the King and Queen about Marquis Evremonde's murderer?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)