|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What steps does Foulon take to protect himself from the revolutionaries?
(a) He leaves the country.
(b) He hides in the mountains.
(c) He stages his own death.
(d) He lives in a cave.
2. How does Charles feel about Lucie Manette?
(a) He views her as a sister.
(b) He loves her completely.
(c) She is only a friend to him.
(d) He finds her annoying.
3. What is the commotion at the Marquis' home after dinner with Charles?
(a) The Marquis argues with Gabelle.
(b) The Marquis falls down the stairs.
(c) The Marquis is stabbed through the heart.
(d) The Marquis has an argument with his wife.
4. What is the name of the intruder who stops at the mail carriage, asking for Mr. Jarvis Lorry?
(a) Miss Dover
(c) Mrs. Hill
(d) Mr. Tellson
5. Chapter 1
Describe Tellson's Bank.
(a) A tiny place with dingy windows
(b) A moderate sized bank with shiny floors
(c) A large, austere bank
(d) A large bank with huge oak doors
6. Chapter 12
Why does Stryver visit Mr. Lorry at Tellson's bank?
(a) He visits Lorry to tell him the latest gossip.
(b) He visits Lorry to tell him about his upcoming plans.
(c) He visits Lorry to invite him on vacation with him.
(d) He visits Lorry to invite him out for a drink.
7. What is the prisoner's reaction as he waits before the large crowd to be tried?
(a) He is blubbering.
(b) He is calm and attentive.
(c) He is begging for mercy.
(d) He is crying and moaning.
8. How many people does Miss Pross tell Mr. Lorry come calling for Miss Lucie?
9. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She cuts off his head.
(b) She turns and runs away.
(c) She screams at the sight.
(d) She cheers.
10. Chapter 23
How do the common people of France feel about the aristocracy?
(a) They believe the aristocracy is their only hope for survival.
(b) They believe the aristocracy will share their wealth with them.
(c) They have faith in the aristocracy.
(d) They believe the aristocracy has squeezed everything they can from the common people.
11. What does the newlywed's visitor ask of Charles?
(a) He asks for a recommendation to Cambridge.
(b) He asks for a loan.
(c) He asks for French lessons.
(d) He asks to be his friend.
12. What does it mean when Defarge and his followers register the inhabitants of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) Add them as favorite customers
(b) Add them to the list of wine deliveries
(c) Invite them to the yearly wine tasting
(d) Mark them for death
13. What is the year the story is taking place?
14. What becomes of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) It becomes a convent.
(b) It is reconstructed by the common people.
(c) It burns to the ground.
(d) It deteriorates through the years.
15. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
(a) To find a respectable woman who owns property
(b) To find a better career
(c) To learn how to speak French
(d) To move away from the area
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Doctor Manette recognizes about his daughter?
2. Chapter 14 What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
3. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
4. Chapter 22 What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
5. Chapter 1 What is the physical appearance of the Kings and Queens of England and France?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)