|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 20
Who is the first person to visit the newlyweds when they return home?
(a) Mr. Lorry
(b) Sydney Carton
(c) Miss Pross
(d) Doctor Manette
2. What does Madame Defarge do in her usual spot in the wine shop?
(a) Bottles wine
(b) Gossips to customers
3. Chapter 14
What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
(a) He is a grave robber.
(b) He is a spy.
(c) He is a sheep smuggler.
(d) He is a bandit.
4. Chapter 21
What is the grief that strikes the Darnay household?
(a) One of the children dies
(b) Miss Pross leaves them.
(c) Doctor Manette dies.
(d) Mr. Lorry is arrested.
5. What is the punishment for forgers, thieves, and counterfeiters?
(b) Cutting off a hand
(d) Going to a labor camp
6. Chapter 8
What does the man hanging onto Marquis Evremonde's carriage do?
(a) He grabs the horse's reins.
(b) He jumps into the river.
(c) He attacks the Marquis.
(d) He screams that the Marquis is a murderer.
7. Chapter 4
Who visits Lorry the day after he arrives at the Royal George Hotel?
(a) Mr. Tellson
(b) Miss Lucie Manette
(d) Miss Pross
8. Who is the prisoner accused of treason?
(a) Charles Darnay
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Jerry Cruncher
(d) Mr. Lorry
9. What does Jerry's son tell him later in the evening?
(a) He is going to the authorities about Jerry's secret trade.
(b) He is going to tell his mother what Jerry is up to.
(c) He wants to follow in his father's footsteps.
(d) He is going to tell everyone what Jerry's secret trade is.
10. Chapter 3
What is the name of the prosecutor's witness?
(a) Jerry Cruncher
(b) Doctor Manette
(c) Mr. Carton
(d) John Barsard
11. What is the first thing Doctor Manette recognizes about his daughter?
(a) Her lips
(b) The shape of her mouth
(c) Her eyes
(d) Her hair
12. Where does Mr. Lorry decide to relocate?
(a) He decides to move to Scotland.
(b) He decides to move to Italy.
(c) He decides to move to Wales.
(d) He decides to move to France.
13. Chapter 22
What does old Foulon tell the starving people to do?
(a) Steal bread from the rich
(b) Beg for food
(c) Ask for mercy
(d) Eat grass
14. Chapter 11
What does Stryver confess to Carton after a night of carousing?
(a) He is moving to Paris.
(b) He intends to marry Miss Pross.
(c) He is joining the King's guard.
(d) He intends to marry Lucie.
15. Who does Charles Darnay find attractive?
(a) Mrs. Defarge
(b) Miss Pross
(c) Miss Lorry
(d) Lucie Manette
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
2. What is the common view of Jerry's secret trade?
3. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
4. How does Carton react to Stryver's advice?
5. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)