|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 10
What does Charles Darnay choose as a career?
(a) A wine master
(b) A soldier for the King
(c) A tutor of French literature and language
(d) A foreign diplomat
2. What is the physical and emotional condition of Doctor Manette?
(a) He is thin but lucid.
(b) He is weak but happy.
(c) He is strong and proud.
(d) He is a broken and empty man.
3. Chapter 17
Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
(a) She is happy that her father is finally well and healthy.
(b) She is happy for the love Heaven has bestowed on her.
(c) She is happy that they are moving away from Soho.
(d) She is happy that she is to go to Cambridge.
4. What does the Monseigneur believe the world was made for?
(a) The earth's riches are for the downtrodden.
(b) The earth and its fullness are his.
(c) The world is for all the people.
(d) The world is for the wild animals.
5. What type of person is Miss Proust's brother, Solomon?
(a) A heartless scoundrel
(b) A loyal Englishman
(c) A loving brother
(d) A sad, depressed man
6. Chapter 23
How do the common people of France feel about the aristocracy?
(a) They believe the aristocracy has squeezed everything they can from the common people.
(b) They have faith in the aristocracy.
(c) They believe the aristocracy is their only hope for survival.
(d) They believe the aristocracy will share their wealth with them.
7. Where does Doctor Manette go two weeks after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He goes to a medical conference in London.
(b) He goes for a hike in the mountains.
(c) He goes to visit the newlyweds.
(d) He goes on a vacation with Mr. Lorry.
8. What advice does Stryver give to Carton?
(a) To learn how to speak French
(b) To find a better career
(c) To move away from the area
(d) To find a respectable woman who owns property
9. Chapter 2
What is the name of the hill that the Dover mail carriage is struggling to climb through the mud?
(a) Dover Rise
(b) Dover Hill
(c) Tellson's Hill
(d) Shooter's Hill
10. Who owns a prosperous wine shop in Paris?
(a) Mr. Tellson
(c) Jacques Defarge
(d) Doctor Manette
11. Chapter 19 How does Mr. Lorry begin his conversation with Doctor Manette on the tenth day after Lucie's wedding?
(a) He tells the doctor that he is going on a trip.
(b) He asks the doctor if he is accepting new patients.
(c) He asks the doctor if he has heard from Lucie.
(d) He asks the doctor's advice on what to do about a friend who had a mental shock.
12. Who revives Miss Manette with smelling salts after she faints?
(a) The messenger
(b) Miss Pross
(c) Mr. Lorry
13. What does it mean when Defarge and his followers register the inhabitants of the Marquis' chateau?
(a) Add them to the list of wine deliveries
(b) Add them as favorite customers
(c) Mark them for death
(d) Invite them to the yearly wine tasting
14. What is the punishment for forgers, thieves, and counterfeiters?
(b) Going to a labor camp
(c) Cutting off a hand
15. What is a typical condition of the common people in France?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles Darnay find attractive?
2. Who is guarding the Marquis' countryside chateau?
3. Chapter 4 Who visits Lorry the day after he arrives at the Royal George Hotel?
4. Chapter 8 What does the man hanging onto Marquis Evremonde's carriage do?
5. While Jerry is dreaming, what does he continue to understand as a spectre?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)