|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Lorry's reaction to Stryver's upcoming plans?
(a) He advises against the plans.
(b) He is not interested in the plans.
(c) He laughs in Stryver's face.
(d) He approves of the plans.
2. What does a woman ask the Marquis to provide for her husband?
(a) A gravestone
(b) A job
(c) A warm meal
(d) A pair of shoes
3. What is the message that Mr. Lorry sends back to a lady in Dover?
(a) Will meet you for tea
(b) The end is near.
(c) Recalled to life
(d) Send someone for my bags.
4. What is Monsieur Defarge's roll in the storming of the Bastille?
(a) He holds the flag.
(b) He is a cannonier.
(c) He is not involved.
(d) He gives supplies to the army.
5. What does Doctor Manette proceed to do after his daughter's wedding?
(a) Goes to bed
(b) Sees to patients
(c) Takes a drink
(d) Make shoes
6. What does Doctor Manette tell Lucie he thought about as he looked at the moon while in prison?
(a) He thought about revenge on those who imprisoned him.
(b) He thought about escape.
(c) He thought about returning to his medical practice.
(d) He thought about the child he had never seen.
7. What is the reason for the prisoner's acquittal?
(a) Inability to identify him
(b) Many witnesses for his behalf
(c) A letter from the king
(d) The confession of a stranger
8. What does Madame Defarge do when the Governor of the Bastille is killed?
(a) She cheers.
(b) She screams at the sight.
(c) She turns and runs away.
(d) She cuts off his head.
9. Chapter 17
Why is Lucie so happy as she sits under the tree with her father?
(a) She is happy that she is to go to Cambridge.
(b) She is happy that her father is finally well and healthy.
(c) She is happy that they are moving away from Soho.
(d) She is happy for the love Heaven has bestowed on her.
10. Who is guarding the Marquis' countryside chateau?
(a) Doctor Manette
11. What is the physical and emotional condition of Doctor Manette?
(a) He is thin but lucid.
(b) He is strong and proud.
(c) He is a broken and empty man.
(d) He is weak but happy.
12. What news does the spy relate to Defarge?
(a) Dr. Manette's daughter is to marry Carton.
(b) Gaspard's body was thrown in the river.
(c) Dr. Manette's daughter is to marry Stryver.
(d) Lucie is to be married to Charles Darnay.
13. What becomes of the corrupt Court of France?
(a) It is gone altogether.
(b) Its loyal subjects make it thrive.
(c) It lives on, oppressing the common people.
(d) It continues on but with less corruption.
14. Chapter 14
What is Jerry Cruncher's secret trade?
(a) He is a bandit.
(b) He is a grave robber.
(c) He is a spy.
(d) He is a sheep smuggler.
15. What is the first thing Doctor Manette recognizes about his daughter?
(a) Her lips
(b) The shape of her mouth
(c) Her eyes
(d) Her hair
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 Who visits Lorry the day after he arrives at the Royal George Hotel?
2. Chapter 6 Where are Doctor Manette's lodgings located?
3. Chapter 10 What does Charles Darnay choose as a career?
4. What is the punishment for forgers, thieves, and counterfeiters?
5. Chapter 2 What is the punishment for treason?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)