Book 1, Chapter 1 | Book 1, Chapter 2
* Chapter 1
* France and England are cruel in their justice.
* Burglaries and highwaymen are rampant in England.
* Chapter 2
* A messenger, Jerry, delivers a message to Jarvis Lorry.
* Jarvis Lorry, employed by Tellson's Bank, reads the message, "Recalled to life".
Book 1, Chapter 3 | Book 1, Chapter 4
* Chapter 3
* Dickens reflects on the how all people are mysteries to each other.
* Mr. Lorry speaks in a dreamlike state about years of digging and being buried alive for eighteen years.
* Chapter 4
* Miss Lucie Manette arrives from France to visit Mr. Lorry and receive his message.
* Mr. Lorry informs Lucie that her father has been in prison for eighteen years and is now free.
* The plan is to find Lucie's father and bring him back to England.
Book 1, Chapter 5 | Book 1, Chapter 6
* Chapter 5
* Famine is so widespread in France that citizens drink spilled wine off the ground before it soaks into the earth...
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)