|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bloody Mary get her name?
(a) She loved to fight.
(b) She killed two husbands.
(c) From betel juice dripping from her mouth.
(d) She had a scar on her cheek.
2. Why does Joe find it difficult to write a letter to his fiance?
(a) He is frightened.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He no longer wants to marry her.
(d) He thinks of Liat.
3. What does a ship's officer tell other men about Captain Kelley's daughter?
(a) She died in a car accident.
(b) She got pregnant by an Army flier.
(c) She flunked out of college.
(d) She was homecoming queen.
4. What is the ammunition carrier that receives extensive damage in a hurricane?
5. What job does the narrator have during this operation?
(a) KP officer.
(b) Whiskey runner.
(c) Liaison between commanders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cloth does Benny give the natives that makes them very happy?
2. Captain Samuel Kelley is known for ________________.
3. What island can the men see when the rain blew away the island mist?
4. Who raids the Barzan plantation demanding the return of all American goods?
5. Who is Latouhe's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Latouche Barzan and what is her relationship with Bus Adams?
2. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
3. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
4. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
5. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
6. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
7. What is the true so-called "strike" of the story?
8. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
9. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
10. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)