|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the men stuck for a couple of days on the island of Bougainville?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) Out of fuel.
(c) Rest and relaxation.
(d) Plane repairs.
2. What island can the men see when the rain blew away the island mist?
(c) Bali Ha'i.
3. Tony trades two cases of whiskey for ___________.
(b) ice maker.
(d) washing machine.
4. What kind of mission are Tony, the narrator and Bus on?
(b) First aid.
(c) Looking for whiskey.
5. What holiday is approaching in "Wine for the Mess at Segi"?
(b) Memorial Day.
(c) Fourth of July.
(d) New Year's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the nun who prepares a meal at the hospital?
2. In what type of ceremony does Tony Fry marry Latouhe?
3. What job does the narrator have during this operation?
4. For what is the island of Bali ha'i known?
5. What ceremony takes place on the island of Vanicoro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
2. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
3. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
4. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
5. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
6. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
7. What concerns does Lt. Pearlstein have about a ravine and a coral hill on Konora?
8. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
9. What is the true so-called "strike" of the story?
10. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)