|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the supply depot being reinforced?
(a) Native break-ins.
(b) Monsoon season.
(c) An approaching hurricane.
(d) Japanese air attacks.
2. Why does Harbison bring up the topic of Seaman Timothy Hewitt to Paul?
(a) He has had a nervous breakdown.
(b) Hewitt writes what are considered to be pornographic letters to his wife.
(c) He has died from a wound sustained
(d) He has a really bad case of malaria.
3. Even though Bus Adams is a married man, he has a girlfriend in the South Pacific named _____________.
(a) Rose Boulanger.
(b) Latouche Barzan.
(c) Jeanne Marie.
(d) Isabel Balzac.
4. What kind of mission are Tony, the narrator and Bus on?
(c) First aid.
(d) Looking for whiskey.
5. Paul compared his survival of the plane crash as _________________.
(a) a near-death experience.
(b) a humbling experience.
(c) an Aztec human sacrifice to the sun.
(d) a character-building exercise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men consider putting on top of the airstrip to give it a tighter, smoother top?
2. Joe is caught between his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's business and _______________.
3. Who is Bill Harbison's wife?
4. The Red House whorehouse is for ______________.
5. What is a major source of American casualties during the South Pacific campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
2. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
3. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
4. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
5. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
6. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
7. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
8. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
9. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
10. What is the true so-called "strike" of the story?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)