|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Liat supposed to marry?
(a) An island boy.
(b) Jacques Benoit.
(c) Larry Peterson.
(d) Joe Cable.
2. The drug Atabrine is also used as _______________.
(a) yellow dye.
3. Why do the men create serious pranks during this time?
(a) To win bets.
(b) To be creative.
(c) To relieve tension.
(d) To escape boredom.
4. How do the men spend Christmas Day?
(b) Writing letters.
5. Who poses as a Naval Intelligence officer?
(c) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the nun who prepares a meal at the hospital?
2. With what do the men fill the ravine in the middle of the island?
3. What is a major source of American casualties during the South Pacific campaign?
4. What is so dangerous about the way Bus has to land the plane at Segi Point?
5. In addition to Dr. Paul Benoway, who survives a plane crash and time on a life raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
2. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
3. Who is Latouche Barzan and what is her relationship with Bus Adams?
4. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
5. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
6. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
7. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
8. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
9. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
10. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)