|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Monsieur Jacques Benoit's position on the island?
(a) Rum plant manager.
(b) Liquor importer.
(c) Plantation owner.
2. What is a major source of American casualties during the South Pacific campaign?
(b) Attacks by Japanese suicide men.
(d) Bacterial infections.
3. What cloth does Benny give the natives that makes them very happy?
(a) Red parachutes.
4. What does Bloody Mary want Joe to do?
(a) Marry Liat.
(b) Sell her black market cigarettes.
(c) Buy knick knacks.
(d) Get her a boat.
5. Who is Bill Harbison's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so dangerous about the way Bus has to land the plane at Segi Point?
2. What item of Luther Billis' fascinates Tony Fry?
3. The narrator is an officer at a _______________.
4. What gift had Joe given Liat which Bloody Mary throws at him?
5. What do the men consider putting on top of the airstrip to give it a tighter, smoother top?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
2. Who is Latouche Barzan and what is her relationship with Bus Adams?
3. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
4. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
5. For what is Tony Fry well known and what does he convince Bus Adams to do to help him?
6. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
7. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
8. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
9. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
10. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)