|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the narrator ordered to go to manage a situation regarding a crucial airstrip?
(d) Pearl Harbor.
2. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
(a) Train soldiers.
(b) Set up communication stations.
(c) Dig irrigation ditches.
(d) Cut down trees.
3. What is a Japanese AKA boat?
(b) Missile launcher.
(c) Troop transfer ship.
4. Who was the famous captain on the ship, Bounty?
(a) Captain Cook.
(b) Captain Weston.
(c) Captain Alden.
(d) Captain Bligh.
5. Who attacks the car with Emile and Nellie inside?
(a) Three Japanese soldiers.
(b) Two Australian sailors.
(c) Four American servicemen.
(d) A group of natives.
6. How old is Teta Christian at the time the narrator visited Norfolk Island?
7. What was Joe's job before the war?
8. PT boats are sometimes characterized as ________________.
(c) suicide boats.
9. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
(a) She didn't know he had children.
(b) She considered them half black.
(c) She thought they were so young.
(d) She saw scars on the children.
10. During what time period does the narrator spend time in the South Pacific?
(a) Korean War.
(b) Gulf War.
(c) Vietnam War.
(d) World War II.
11. Who does Bus drink whiskey with after his rescue?
(a) Freddie Meyers.
(b) Bud Albers.
(c) Nick Jones.
(d) Tony Fry.
12. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
(a) His brother-in-law got another Army promotion.
(b) He got demoted from his position.
(c) His best friend was killed in Germany.
(d) He caught her with another man.
13. What type of tree is famous for growing on Norfolk Island?
14. What is Tony Fry's demeanor toward the Navy and Annapolis Academy traditions?
(c) In awe.
15. Fighting the war in the South Pacific is different from fighting the war in Europe and __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what branch of the military does Bill Harbison serve?
2. What disease do all the men on the small coral island have?
3. What do Lucy and Teta blow up on the island?
4. What is the Remittance Man's nickname?
5. What is the nationality of the Remittance Man?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)