|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
(a) She saw scars on the children.
(b) She considered them half black.
(c) She thought they were so young.
(d) She didn't know he had children.
2. What church is the narrator shown on Norfolk Island?
(a) St. Sebastian Church.
(b) Norfolk Island Presbyterian Church.
(c) The Grace Center.
(d) Melanesian Mission building.
3. Who assumes command of the Alligator initiative?
(a) Captain Samuel Kelley.
(b) Captain Eddie Martin.
(c) Captain James Morgan.
(d) Captain Joe Sullenbarger.
4. What country is saved with the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
(b) United States.
(c) New Zealand.
5. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
(a) His best friend was killed in Germany.
(b) His brother-in-law got another Army promotion.
(c) He caught her with another man.
(d) He got demoted from his position.
6. How old is Teta Christian at the time the narrator visited Norfolk Island?
7. What is a PBY?
(a) Partially Boiled Yak.
(b) Peanut Butter Yogurt.
(c) Latrine duty.
(d) Amphibious seaplane.
8. What is the fate of the Remittance Man?
(a) Captured and presumably executed.
(b) Captured and rescued.
(c) Killed in an air raid.
(d) Captured and released.
9. In whom does Emile De Becque take a romantic interest?
10. To whom does Nellie write a letter stating that she would marry him?
(a) Bill Harbison.
(b) Tony Fry.
(d) Her boyfriend in Alabama.
11. What design does Admiral Kester order removed from a plane?
(a) Naked girls.
(c) Rebel flag.
(d) Beer bottles.
12. What is a Japanese AKA boat?
(a) Troop transfer ship.
(c) Missile launcher.
13. What was Joe's job before the war?
14. What do Lucy and Teta blow up on the island?
(a) A bulldozer.
(b) A retaining wall.
(c) A church.
(d) A bar.
15. Who is the girl who wrote to Joe and then died in a car accident?
(a) Patty Meyers.
(b) Susan McKenzie.
(c) Margaret Long.
(d) Alice Baker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emile tells Nellie that he had to leave Marseilles because he _______________.
2. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
3. In "Alligator", U.S. Admirals plot an attack on the Japanese-held island of ______________.
4. What are Emile's intentions toward Nellie?
5. What are the only things destroyed in building the airstrip?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)