|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of jobs does Joe work on for the Skipper?
2. Planes from what country initially come to Bus' rescue when he is shot down?
(a) New Zealand.
3. What is widely known about Harbison?
(a) He was gay.
(b) He was wealthy.
(c) He was a social snob.
(d) He was epileptic.
4. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
(a) He was gay.
(b) He never wanted to get married.
(c) He didn't love her.
(d) He was already married.
5. How many months has Joe been stationed on the small coral island?
6. Who built many of the buildings on Norfolk Island?
7. What type of disease does Joe get?
8. The narrator becomes a courier for battle plans sent to _______________.
(a) Iwo Jima.
(b) The Phillippines.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
9. What are Emile's intentions toward Nellie?
(a) He wanted to marry her.
(b) He wanted to see her exclusively.
(c) He just wanted a fling.
(d) He wanted to break off the relationship.
10. Who ultimately comes to Bus' rescue when he is shot down?
(a) Lt. Commander Charlesworth.
(b) Lt. Commander Aldrin.
(c) Lt. Commander Weston.
(d) Lt. Commander Meyers.
11. Who is the girl who wrote to Joe and then died in a car accident?
(a) Susan McKenzie.
(b) Patty Meyers.
(c) Margaret Long.
(d) Alice Baker.
12. In what branch of the military does Bill Harbison serve?
(d) Air Force.
13. Where is Lt. Bus Adams shot down?
(a) Over Segi Point.
(b) Over Norfolk Island.
(c) Over Efate Island.
(d) Over Korea.
14. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
15. What enrages Admiral Kester at one time?
(a) Monsoon season.
(b) Cold coffee.
(c) Empty whiskey bottle.
(d) A stuck zipper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nellie ultimately decide to marry?
2. In whom does Emile De Becque take a romantic interest?
3. Where do soldiers and navy personnel spend much of their time in the South Pacific?
4. What is Harbison forced to censor?
5. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)