|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the malaria treatment drug that the men thought would cause them to lose their virility?
2. What is Nellie Forbush's job?
3. In "Alligator", U.S. Admirals plot an attack on the Japanese-held island of ______________.
(b) Norfolk Island.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
4. The narrator becomes a courier for battle plans sent to _______________.
(a) Iwo Jima.
(b) The Phillippines.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
5. What is Captain Kelley's notable demeanor?
6. What type of tree is famous for growing on Norfolk Island?
7. In whom does Emile De Becque take a romantic interest?
8. What disease do all the men on the small coral island have?
9. What is Harbison forced to censor?
(a) Military messages.
(b) Soldiers' letters.
(c) Soldiers' entertainment.
(d) Television programming.
10. Who assumes command of the Alligator initiative?
(a) Captain Eddie Martin.
(b) Captain Joe Sullenbarger.
(c) Captain James Morgan.
(d) Captain Samuel Kelley.
11. Whose farm does the narrator and Tony Fry visit?
(a) Tia Christian.
(b) Teta Christian.
(c) Milania Christian.
(d) Fletcher Christian.
12. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
(a) She considered them half black.
(b) She didn't know he had children.
(c) She saw scars on the children.
(d) She thought they were so young.
13. During what time period does the narrator spend time in the South Pacific?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) World War II.
(c) Gulf War.
(d) Korean War.
14. What is the fate of the Remittance Man?
(a) Captured and rescued.
(b) Killed in an air raid.
(c) Captured and released.
(d) Captured and presumably executed.
15. What is widely known about Harbison?
(a) He was gay.
(b) He was wealthy.
(c) He was a social snob.
(d) He was epileptic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of disease does Joe get?
2. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
3. What college did Harbison's wife attend?
4. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
5. Where is the narrator sent in April of 1942?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)