|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Emile De Becque?
(a) French pilot.
(b) Restaurant chef.
(c) French author.
(d) Owner of a French plantation.
2. Why does Nellie call off her marriage to Emile?
(a) He had children with a so-called "nigger".
(b) He didn't have any money.
(c) He was too old for her.
(d) He beat her.
3. How many months has Joe been stationed on the small coral island?
4. What enrages Admiral Kester at one time?
(a) Monsoon season.
(b) Cold coffee.
(c) Empty whiskey bottle.
(d) A stuck zipper.
5. Emile tells Nellie that he had to leave Marseilles because he _______________.
(a) was a political incendiary.
(b) was a thief.
(c) killed a man.
(d) broke out of prison.
6. What is Harbison forced to censor?
(a) Soldiers' entertainment.
(b) Television programming.
(c) Military messages.
(d) Soldiers' letters.
7. Where are Admiral Kester's headquarters located?
(a) The Phillippines.
(b) Pearl Harbor.
8. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
9. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
(a) His best friend was killed in Germany.
(b) He caught her with another man.
(c) His brother-in-law got another Army promotion.
(d) He got demoted from his position.
10. What is at a premium on the small coral island?
11. What is a Japanese AKA boat?
(c) Missile launcher.
(d) Troop transfer ship.
12. To whom does Nellie write a letter stating that she would marry him?
(a) Tony Fry.
(c) Bill Harbison.
(d) Her boyfriend in Alabama.
13. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
(a) The Hairpin.
(b) The Slash.
(c) The Alley.
(d) The Slot.
14. What is the nationality of the Remittance Man?
15. Where does Lieutenant Tony Fry want to set up his headquarters?
(a) A hut.
(b) A stone building.
(c) A tent.
(d) A cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nellie ultimately decide to marry?
2. What is Nellie Forbush's job?
3. What disease do all the men on the small coral island have?
4. During what time period does the narrator spend time in the South Pacific?
5. The narrator becomes a courier for battle plans sent to _______________.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)