|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what time period does the narrator spend time in the South Pacific?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) Gulf War.
(c) World War II.
(d) Korean War.
2. What type of jobs does Joe work on for the Skipper?
3. Who does Nellie ultimately decide to marry?
(b) Her boyfriend in Alabama.
(c) Tony Fry.
(d) Bill Harbison.
4. Who attacks the car with Emile and Nellie inside?
(a) Three Japanese soldiers.
(b) Four American servicemen.
(c) A group of natives.
(d) Two Australian sailors.
5. The station sends out regular radio reports daily on ___________ and the weather.
(c) enemy planes.
(d) news headlines.
6. What drink does Tony Fry always have available?
7. What is widely known about Harbison?
(a) He was wealthy.
(b) He was a social snob.
(c) He was gay.
(d) He was epileptic.
8. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
(a) Train soldiers.
(b) Set up communication stations.
(c) Dig irrigation ditches.
(d) Cut down trees.
9. What is the malaria treatment drug that the men thought would cause them to lose their virility?
10. What is the fate of the Remittance Man?
(a) Captured and released.
(b) Captured and presumably executed.
(c) Killed in an air raid.
(d) Captured and rescued.
11. What is Captain Kelley's notable demeanor?
12. Who is Emile De Becque?
(a) Restaurant chef.
(b) Owner of a French plantation.
(c) French pilot.
(d) French author.
13. Who is the nurse Harbison dates who is 20 years older than he?
(a) Sarah Jane Steward.
(b) Mary Ann Morgan.
(c) Mona Lou Henson.
(d) Dinah Culbert.
14. What does Joe refuse to do that results in his being threatened with court martial?
(a) Sleep under mosquito nets.
(b) Serve KP duty.
(c) Clean his weapon.
(d) Salute an officer.
15. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
(a) She didn't know he had children.
(b) She considered them half black.
(c) She saw scars on the children.
(d) She thought they were so young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of disease does Joe get?
2. Who is the 22-year-old nurse that Harbison started to date?
3. What disease do all the men on the small coral island have?
4. Where is the narrator ordered to go to manage a situation regarding a crucial airstrip?
5. Who is the narrator's commander in The Cave?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)