|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of jobs does Joe work on for the Skipper?
2. What is widely known about Harbison?
(a) He was a social snob.
(b) He was gay.
(c) He was wealthy.
(d) He was epileptic.
3. What was Joe's job before the war?
4. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
(a) Dig irrigation ditches.
(b) Set up communication stations.
(c) Cut down trees.
(d) Train soldiers.
5. What country is saved with the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
(a) United States.
(d) New Zealand.
6. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
(a) She thought they were so young.
(b) She considered them half black.
(c) She didn't know he had children.
(d) She saw scars on the children.
7. The station sends out regular radio reports daily on ___________ and the weather.
(a) news headlines.
(d) enemy planes.
8. PT boats are sometimes characterized as ________________.
(d) suicide boats.
9. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
(a) He never wanted to get married.
(b) He was already married.
(c) He was gay.
(d) He didn't love her.
10. What is the Remittance Man's nickname?
11. What is the nationality of the Remittance Man?
12. What enrages Admiral Kester at one time?
(a) A stuck zipper.
(b) Empty whiskey bottle.
(c) Monsoon season.
(d) Cold coffee.
13. Who is Emile De Becque?
(a) French author.
(b) French pilot.
(c) Owner of a French plantation.
(d) Restaurant chef.
14. Who is the nurse Harbison dates who is 20 years older than he?
(a) Dinah Culbert.
(b) Mona Lou Henson.
(c) Sarah Jane Steward.
(d) Mary Ann Morgan.
15. How old is Teta Christian at the time the narrator visited Norfolk Island?
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease do many of the men stationed near the Coral Sea suffer?
2. Where do soldiers and navy personnel spend much of their time in the South Pacific?
3. From whom does Joe get his first letter sent by a girl?
4. Why does Nellie call off her marriage to Emile?
5. What is Harbison's job on the island?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)