|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
(a) She considered them half black.
(b) She saw scars on the children.
(c) She thought they were so young.
(d) She didn't know he had children.
2. What is Harbison's job on the island?
(a) Mess Hall officer.
(b) Procurement officer.
(c) Military vehicles officer.
(d) Recreation officer.
3. Why does Nellie call off her marriage to Emile?
(a) He didn't have any money.
(b) He was too old for her.
(c) He had children with a so-called "nigger".
(d) He beat her.
4. What college did Harbison's wife attend?
5. Who is the girl Tony Fry is having an affair with?
6. Where is the narrator sent in April of 1942?
(a) Aleutian Islands.
(b) Vanicoro Island.
(c) The Phillippines.
(d) Bora Bora.
7. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
8. Who built many of the buildings on Norfolk Island?
9. What is the fate of the Remittance Man?
(a) Killed in an air raid.
(b) Captured and released.
(c) Captured and presumably executed.
(d) Captured and rescued.
10. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
(a) Dig irrigation ditches.
(b) Train soldiers.
(c) Cut down trees.
(d) Set up communication stations.
11. On what kind of boat does Tony go out on some patrols?
(b) Missile launchers.
(c) Cruise ships.
12. What type of disease does Joe get?
13. What is Tony Fry's demeanor toward the Navy and Annapolis Academy traditions?
(b) In awe.
14. Fighting the war in the South Pacific is different from fighting the war in Europe and __________.
15. What is the timing of the Alligator initiative?
(a) December 1941.
(b) November 1942.
(c) June 1943.
(d) August 1943.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lt. Bus Adams shot down?
2. Who is the 22-year-old nurse that Harbison started to date?
3. What is at a premium on the small coral island?
4. The women on the naval bases need extra security from ______________.
5. In whom does Emile De Becque take a romantic interest?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)