|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Nellie ultimately decide to marry?
(a) Bill Harbison.
(b) Tony Fry.
(d) Her boyfriend in Alabama.
2. What is Captain Kelley's notable demeanor?
3. What is the fate of the Remittance Man?
(a) Captured and presumably executed.
(b) Captured and released.
(c) Killed in an air raid.
(d) Captured and rescued.
4. What is the Remittance Man's nickname?
5. From what disease do many of the men stationed near the Coral Sea suffer?
6. What college did Harbison's wife attend?
7. In what branch of the military does Bill Harbison serve?
(a) Air Force.
8. What drink does Tony Fry always have available?
9. Attacking an already-bombed Japanese-held island is called _________________.
(a) a milk run.
(b) second helpings.
(c) easy pickins.
(d) war strategy.
10. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
(a) He was already married.
(b) He was gay.
(c) He didn't love her.
(d) He never wanted to get married.
11. Who is Emile De Becque?
(a) French pilot.
(b) French author.
(c) Restaurant chef.
(d) Owner of a French plantation.
12. What enrages Admiral Kester at one time?
(a) Cold coffee.
(b) Monsoon season.
(c) Empty whiskey bottle.
(d) A stuck zipper.
13. What does Joe refuse to do that results in his being threatened with court martial?
(a) Serve KP duty.
(b) Sleep under mosquito nets.
(c) Clean his weapon.
(d) Salute an officer.
14. How old is Teta Christian at the time the narrator visited Norfolk Island?
15. Where is Lt. Bus Adams shot down?
(a) Over Efate Island.
(b) Over Norfolk Island.
(c) Over Korea.
(d) Over Segi Point.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joe's job before the war?
2. Who built many of the buildings on Norfolk Island?
3. The women on the naval bases need extra security from ______________.
4. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
5. Why does Nellie call off her marriage to Emile?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)