|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Burying Ground is located on which street?
2. What is the name of the lake where the force supposedly resides?
3. What is the name of Gardner's secretary?
4. What is the man's first name?
5. What is the name of the narrator in Notebook Found in a Deserted House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the quest for Lang and Urquart seem fruitless and hopeless?
2. Who are Phillip and Julian Haughtree? What is their profession? What happens to Julian? What is the cause of Julian's issue? What happens to Julian regarding medical care?
3. What is the prequel to The Shadow from the Steeple? In The Shadow from the Steeple Fiske arrives on the scene with a specific focus. What is Fiske's focus?
4. What item has deeply affected Josiah Alwyn? What is Grandfather Alwyn's obsession?
5. Who is Albert Wilmarth? Why is he an important part of the story?
6. Who is the protagonist in "The Salem Horror?" What kind of unusual circumstance does the man face when looking for a place to live and work?
7. What happens to the writer's translator friend when he begins to read the Latin text of De Vermis Mysteriis?
8. What were some of the things that could serve as proof of the threshold and what lay beyond?
9. What happens when Carson discovers the secret room? Who turns up in the room due to an element of evil activity? Who rids the house of the entity?
10. After Al and Cissie sail off aboard the yacht, they disappear from the scene. What has happened to Al and Cissie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several places in the text that make reference to curses. Even skeptics and scientists who did not believe in curses came to believe after a series of accidents happened at a particular location. Examine the reality of curses. Do you think curses are real? What could convince someone to believe in curses? Examine other possible explanations for the events that happened. Choose at least three stories to examine from a scientific point of view.
Essay Topic 2
In "Beyond the Threshold," "The Dweller in Darkness" and "Notebook Found in a Deserted House," characters disappear after having some interaction with the paranormal. Compare and contrast the situations. What happens just before each character vanishes? Is the character ever found? What do you think happened to each character? Do you think there is evil behind the disappearances? Do you think there are plausible explanations behind the disappearances? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Several stories refer to ancient history whether it is in relation to ancient civilizations, curses, spells, or the evil actions of others. In the case of "The Hounds of Tindalos," ancient history is partnered with time travel. Explain the use of ancient history as a part of the ongoing thread in the stories. Also explain how time travel relates to ancient history and the demise of some of the characters.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)