|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives is not used to describe the teacher?
2. What is the name of the story in which the recurring character appeared?
3. The character came from which country?
4. What is the name associated with the ancient item?
5. What is the name of the priest that vanished?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Folin and Tony Alwyn? What is their relationship?
2. What were some of the things that could serve as proof of the threshold and what lay beyond?
3. What does Dorgan find when he goes searching for Gardner? What are Gardner's instructions?
4. What happens when Cousin Frank Osborne arrives? Who is the first to disappear? What is determined by Willie?
5. Who are Phillip and Julian Haughtree? What is their profession? What happens to Julian? What is the cause of Julian's issue? What happens to Julian regarding medical care?
6. What happens when Carson discovers the secret room? Who turns up in the room due to an element of evil activity? Who rids the house of the entity?
7. Why is Willie sent to Uncle Fred and Aunt Lucy's farm? What does Willie find that frightens him?
8. What was unusual about Georg Fischer's father? What unusual tragedies have happened to Georg Fischer's family?
9. Why does the quest for Lang and Urquart seem fruitless and hopeless?
10. Paul Lang learns about an ancient manuscript called the Voynich. What does Lang do when he cannot find a copy of the text?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos" by H. P. Lovecraft centers on the legend of the Cthulhu. Examine the Cthulhu and the legends that surround the entities. Why are the Cthulhu referred to as the "Great Ones?" Where is R'lyeh? Why are characters warned to avoid the Cthulhu? What happens when certain characters ignore the warnings? What types of things do the Cthulhu do to humans? Do you believe that such an entity could or does exist? Also examine how the characters come to know about the Cthulhu. Discuss the sailors' tales about their encounters with the Great Ones.
Essay Topic 2
Several stories refer to ancient history whether it is in relation to ancient civilizations, curses, spells, or the evil actions of others. In the case of "The Hounds of Tindalos," ancient history is partnered with time travel. Explain the use of ancient history as a part of the ongoing thread in the stories. Also explain how time travel relates to ancient history and the demise of some of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Call of Cthulhu" a statuette linked to the Cthulhu cult awakens the Great Ones, causing a great deal of havoc and death. Discuss the Cthulhu. How were the Cthulhu awakened? Where do the Cthulhu live? Where is it located? What happens when the Cthulhu are dormant? What happens when the Great Ones are awakened? Who awakens the Great Ones? How can a person avoid the evil entities? What do they look like? What are their powers? Can the Cthulhu be contained again? Explain.
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)