|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator likes the symphonic strains of ______.
2. Which author spoke about the gulf between consciousness and matter?
3. The men sought the advice of which professor?
4. How old is the child on the tricycle?
5. The Burying Ground is located on which street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Albert Wilmarth? Why is he an important part of the story?
2. What was unusual about Georg Fischer's father? What unusual tragedies have happened to Georg Fischer's family?
3. What item has deeply affected Josiah Alwyn? What is Grandfather Alwyn's obsession?
4. Paul Lang learns about an ancient manuscript called the Voynich. What does Lang do when he cannot find a copy of the text?
5. What happens to Professor Gardner at Rick's Lake? Who takes on Gardner's case?
6. Who is the protagonist in "The Salem Horror?" What kind of unusual circumstance does the man face when looking for a place to live and work?
7. In the story Cold Print, the main character is Strutt. Who is Strutt? What is his personality?
8. What happens when Cousin Frank Osborne arrives? Who is the first to disappear? What is determined by Willie?
9. Why does the quest for Lang and Urquart seem fruitless and hopeless?
10. Who are Phillip and Julian Haughtree? What is their profession? What happens to Julian? What is the cause of Julian's issue? What happens to Julian regarding medical care?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Call of Cthulhu" a statuette linked to the Cthulhu cult awakens the Great Ones, causing a great deal of havoc and death. Discuss the Cthulhu. How were the Cthulhu awakened? Where do the Cthulhu live? Where is it located? What happens when the Cthulhu are dormant? What happens when the Great Ones are awakened? Who awakens the Great Ones? How can a person avoid the evil entities? What do they look like? What are their powers? Can the Cthulhu be contained again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
"Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos" by H. P. Lovecraft is a collection of horror stories written by Lovecraft, his associates and fans. Discuss the common threads used in the stories. Do you think the similarities are planned or accidental? How is the theme of the Cthulhu continued throughout the book? What influence did Lovecraft have on the genre? Who was the most successful writer in the book aside from Lovecraft?
Essay Topic 3
In "Beyond the Threshold," "The Dweller in Darkness" and "Notebook Found in a Deserted House," characters disappear after having some interaction with the paranormal. Compare and contrast the situations. What happens just before each character vanishes? Is the character ever found? What do you think happened to each character? Do you think there is evil behind the disappearances? Do you think there are plausible explanations behind the disappearances? Explain.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)