|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book talks about a certain time of year when people visit the black stone. What time of year is mentioned?
2. What is the name of the neighborhood where Blake resides?
3. In The Haunter of the Dark, a man becomes interested in which of the following locations?
4. What word is used to describe Carnby's house?
5. What is the proper name for the shape of the black stone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character in The Haunter of the Dark? Where has this character previously appeared? Where does the character go at the beginning of the story?
2. Where does Paul Tregardis find the crystal in Ubbo-Sathla? What is Paul Tregardis' first impression of the crystal?
3. Von Junzt's reference to Dostmann leads the narrator in which direction?
4. What is the first passage translated from Arabic into English? What is Ogden's opinion of the passage?
5. Who is the main character in The Call of Cthulhu? What is his relationship to the deceased character? How does the initial discovery occur?
6. The opening quote in the story is written by Justin Geoffrey. Who is Justin Geoffrey and how does he relate to the story?
7. What happened when the Great Old Ones were resurrected? Who was involved in the incident that followed?
8. What book is Carnby asked to translate? Why is the book different from the other versions? What passages interest Carnby the most?
9. Castro tells the group about the Great Old Ones. Who are the Great Old Ones? Where did they live? What was the group waiting for and how did they communicate with the outside world?
10. What does the narrator see during his night by the Black Stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several stories inanimate objects are linked to some force of evil. Examples of the inanimate objects include the Black Stone in "The Black Stone," the Shining Trapezohedron in "The Haunter of the Dark" and "The Shadow from the Steeple," and the statuette in "The Call of Cthulhu." Discuss the possibility of evil being linked to an inanimate object. Is it possible? Is the item enchanted? How could it happen? Are any of the items able to be destroyed? Explain. How does each item affect the characters in the stories? How do the characters change once they come into contact with the objects? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The stories in "Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos" by H. P. Lovecraft were written over a period of many years and compiled and compiled years after Lovecraft's death. Examine the compilation. Why do you think these specific stories were chosen? Does each author have a link to Lovecraft? Explain. How do the stories differ depending on the time period in which they were written? For example, some stories were written in the 1930s while at least one was not written until 1971. Compare and contrast the stories written in different time periods.
Essay Topic 3
Most, if not all, of the stories come from "Weird Tales." The publication was highly influential in Lovecraft's time. Learn about Weird Tales. Write a 750 word essay on the publication, including its contributors, artists, and the fact that it seemed to be a stepping stone to great success for many authors.
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)