|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship involved in the attack?
2. Which district of the city receives the most damage?
3. The group lived in which hilly region?
4. The object supposedly came from which era?
5. What is the name of the village located near the Black Stone.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Howard after Wells is set adrift?
2. What does the narrator see during his night by the Black Stone?
3. Discuss the basic premise of The Hounds of Tindalos.
4. The narrator found mention of the Black Stone in Von Junzt's work. What did Von Junzt write about the obelisk?
5. Who is the main character in The Haunter of the Dark? Where has this character previously appeared? Where does the character go at the beginning of the story?
6. Frank watches as Chalmers goes into a trance-like state. Chalmers reveals to Frank everything he sees in the Fourth Dimension. What are some of the things Chalmers sees?
7. Examine the scene in which Blake climbs to the tower of the church. What does Blake see? How is Blake affected? What is Blake's opinion on what happened?
8. What happened when the Great Old Ones were resurrected? Who was involved in the incident that followed?
9. Tregardis is shocked by the explanation and quickly thinks about the Book of Eibon. What is the Book of Eibon? Why is it important?
10. How does the narrator first learn about the Black Stone? What other information is linked to the Black Stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Call of Cthulhu" a statuette linked to the Cthulhu cult awakens the Great Ones, causing a great deal of havoc and death. Discuss the Cthulhu. How were the Cthulhu awakened? Where do the Cthulhu live? Where is it located? What happens when the Cthulhu are dormant? What happens when the Great Ones are awakened? Who awakens the Great Ones? How can a person avoid the evil entities? What do they look like? What are their powers? Can the Cthulhu be contained again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Time travel is a popular notion in this genre. Time travel allows a character to experience another world, albeit with dangerous or deadly consequences. In "The Hounds of Tindalos," Chalmers claims that he has gone too far when it comes to time travel and that he has alerted the hounds of Tindalos which will ultimately make him pay for his misdeeds. Examine why time travel is a main topic in many horror stories. Explain how it is done in the stories and the characters' motivation for attempting to do it. Also examine the potential dangers in time travel and why the characters choose to ignore the warning signs.
Essay Topic 3
Various cults are mentioned in the stories including the "nameless cults." Discuss cults as they relate to the tales. Who is involved in each cult? What is the fascination involved with studying cults? Which characters seem to be most interested in learning about cults and their rituals? What type of worship is demanded by the cult leaders? How do characters change once they become involved with a cult?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)