|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship involved in the attack?
2. Which group of primitives is linked to the Scots?
3. The narrator takes a job as which of the following?
4. According to the narrator's friend the nature of time is composed of _____ and angles.
5. What word is used to describe Carnby's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Paul Tregardis when he stares into the crystal?
2. What happens to Henry Wells in the woods?
3. What is the first passage translated from Arabic into English? What is Ogden's opinion of the passage?
4. Who is the main character in The Haunter of the Dark? Where has this character previously appeared? Where does the character go at the beginning of the story?
5. Castro tells the group about the Great Old Ones. Who are the Great Old Ones? Where did they live? What was the group waiting for and how did they communicate with the outside world?
6. Discuss the contents of the documents found by Thurston. Describe the strange reaction people have had by coming in contact with the statue.
7. Examine the scene in which Blake climbs to the tower of the church. What does Blake see? How is Blake affected? What is Blake's opinion on what happened?
8. What difficulties does the narrator have in learning more about the Black Stone and Stregoicavar?
9. Who is Howard? What is Howard's main goal in the story?
10. The narrator found mention of the Black Stone in Von Junzt's work. What did Von Junzt write about the obelisk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stories in "Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos" by H. P. Lovecraft were written over a period of many years and compiled and compiled years after Lovecraft's death. Examine the compilation. Why do you think these specific stories were chosen? Does each author have a link to Lovecraft? Explain. How do the stories differ depending on the time period in which they were written? For example, some stories were written in the 1930s while at least one was not written until 1971. Compare and contrast the stories written in different time periods.
Essay Topic 2
Most, if not all, of the stories come from "Weird Tales." The publication was highly influential in Lovecraft's time. Learn about Weird Tales. Write a 750 word essay on the publication, including its contributors, artists, and the fact that it seemed to be a stepping stone to great success for many authors.
Essay Topic 3
Several stories refer to ancient history whether it is in relation to ancient civilizations, curses, spells, or the evil actions of others. In the case of "The Hounds of Tindalos," ancient history is partnered with time travel. Explain the use of ancient history as a part of the ongoing thread in the stories. Also explain how time travel relates to ancient history and the demise of some of the characters.
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)