|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does The Haunter of the Dark take place?
2. Aside from human, what type of skeletons does Carnby have in his house?
3. The black stone reminds the narrator of a similar stone found in which remote region?
(c) Brazilian rainforest.
(d) African jungle.
4. The narrator takes a job as which of the following?
5. What was the name of the religious sect?
(a) Worshipers of the Dark.
(b) Trapezoid Cult.
(c) The Church of the Extraterrestrial.
(d) Starry Wisdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the story take place?
2. One person believed a certain type of group lived in the area of the black stone. What type of group is referred to in the story?
3. What word is used to describe Carnby's eyes?
4. The narrator buys which unusually large object at an antiquities shop?
5. What is the name of Howard's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character in The Call of Cthulhu? What is his relationship to the deceased character? How does the initial discovery occur?
2. Who is the main character in The Haunter of the Dark? Where has this character previously appeared? Where does the character go at the beginning of the story?
3. Frank watches as Chalmers goes into a trance-like state. Chalmers reveals to Frank everything he sees in the Fourth Dimension. What are some of the things Chalmers sees?
4. What book is Carnby asked to translate? Why is the book different from the other versions? What passages interest Carnby the most?
5. Discuss the item found by Thurston. Describe it as well as Thurston's opinion of the object. What accompanies the object?
6. Describe John Carnby. What kind of work does he do? Where does he live? How is the house described?
7. What happened when the Great Old Ones were resurrected? Who was involved in the incident that followed?
8. What happens to Henry Wells in the woods?
9. Who is Howard? What is Howard's main goal in the story?
10. How did Angell first come into contact with the statue? Who had approached Angell and for what purpose? What information was given to the statue's owner?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)