|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the doctor that Binky recommends to DeDe?
2. What is Mona surprised by when she meets D'orothea's father?
3. Edgar's father changes the family name from __________ to Halcyon.
4. How are Candi and Cheryl related?
5. What does Norman bring Mary Ann on the morning after Vincent's suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
2. What does the reader learn about the two characters when Brian talks with Michael in the courtyard while Michael is tanning before the contest?
3. Briefly discuss the parallels between Frannie's Great Dane and Edgar.
4. What do Michael's parents think about his relationship with Mona?
5. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
6. What does Norman Neal Williams reveal to Mary Ann in the car during the trick or treating outing?
7. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
8. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
9. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
10. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mary Ann assert her independence in the novel? In what ways does DeDe assert her independence? Are there similarities between the growth of these two female characters? What are they? Give specific examples of the growth and independence of Mary Ann and DeDe.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author build on the mystery surrounding the character of Mrs. Madrigal? What do readers know about her? What do we not know? How does the author use other characters to reveal pieces of the puzzle surrounding Mrs. Madrigal's character?
Essay Topic 3
How does Edgar's attitude toward his wife, Frannie, change over the course of the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)