|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Beach Boys," Brian and Michael realize that they both want what?
2. After the movie, where does Norman take Mary Ann?
3. During Norman's phone call from his pushy client, what does he reveal about Mrs. Madrigal?
4. Of what does Michael's father assure him?
5. When Mary Ann is out with Norman after the movie, why is she humiliated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about the two characters when Brian talks with Michael in the courtyard while Michael is tanning before the contest?
2. What happens to Mary Ann when she and Norman are in Chinatown after the movie?
3. Explain what D'orothea tells Brian when they go for drinks after first meeting in the restaurant.
4. What does Norman Neal Williams reveal to Mary Ann in the car during the trick or treating outing?
5. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
6. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
7. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
8. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
9. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
10. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the nature of family in terms of the following two relationships: Mona and Mrs. Madrigal, Michael and Mona. What do these relationships signify about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)