|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carson Callas insinuate DeDe has to do in order for him to keep her pregnancy a secret?
2. Where is Michael doing his last-minute tanning before the contest?
3. What does Edgar think is the reason Williams called him about Mrs. Madrigal?
4. On her return trip home after losing weight, what does DeDe realize?
5. When Mary Ann tells Michael that she is uneasy about Norman, what does Michael suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
2. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
3. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
4. Briefly discuss the parallels between Frannie's Great Dane and Edgar.
5. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
6. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
7. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
8. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
9. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
10. What does Norman Neal Williams reveal to Mary Ann in the car during the trick or treating outing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall style of the book, "Tales of the City." Make sure your answer includes the following:
1. How the short chapters contribute to the style.
2. The chapters alternate between different characters. How does this impact the style of the book?
3. Many chapters have cliffhanger endings. How does this impact the style of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of human frailty is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples of the book to support your discussion on theme and make sure that you define theme.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)