|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mona react to D'orothea's long telephone conversations with her friends back in New York?
2. Why does Michael become embarrassed when he is out for dinner with his parents?
3. When she is at an affair with Beauchamp, to whom does DeDe confide that she is indeed pregnant?
4. When Mary Ann breaks into Norman's apartment, where does she look?
5. What is the main reason that Norman calls Paul for in the film shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is revealed during the conversation with Mona and D'orothea's father at the factory?
2. What happens to Mary Ann when she and Norman are in Chinatown after the movie?
3. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
4. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
5. What do Michael's parents think about his relationship with Mona?
6. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
7. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
8. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
9. Summarize the conversation between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal at the Bohemian Grove.
10. Summarize what Norman confesses to Mary Ann in the chapter, "Norman Confesses."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "halcyon" is a synonym for happiness and peace. Discuss how the meaning of his name relates to Edgar's journey and transformation as a character, giving specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the nature of family in terms of the following two relationships: Mona and Mrs. Madrigal, Michael and Mona. What do these relationships signify about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 3
"Tales of the City" was originally published as a daily newspaper serial. Explore how the story fits the serial format versus the novel format. In what ways does the structure of the novel give away its beginning as a serial drama in a newspaper?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)