|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vincent kill himself?
2. What is Michael's reaction when he receives a phone call from his mother saying that his parents are coming to visit?
3. After the movie, where does Norman take Mary Ann?
4. What is the reason D'orothea tells Brian that she is in San Francisco?
5. What does Mona tell D'orothea about Norman when they see him walking down the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
2. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
3. Upon returning to San Francisco, what does DeDe realize and what does she do about it?
4. What does the reader learn about the two characters when Brian talks with Michael in the courtyard while Michael is tanning before the contest?
5. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
6. What do Michael's parents think about his relationship with Mona?
7. Summarize what Norman confesses to Mary Ann in the chapter, "Norman Confesses."
8. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
9. Briefly recount the story that Mrs. Madrigal tells Edgar after they make love on his first visit to her home.
10. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "halcyon" is a synonym for happiness and peace. Discuss how the meaning of his name relates to Edgar's journey and transformation as a character, giving specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does Edgar's attitude toward his wife, Frannie, change over the course of the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the parallels between the relationships of Mona and her family, Michael and his family, and Mary Ann and her family. Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)