|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Norman Neal Williams tell Mary Ann he does for a job?
2. While they wait for Lexy in the car, what does Norman hint that he wants from Mary Ann?
3. How does Vincent kill himself?
4. When DeDe returns home after losing weight, what does Beauchamp tell her?
5. Which type of questions is DeDe happy to answer for Carson Callas?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
Essay Topic 2
"Tales of the City" was originally published as a daily newspaper serial. Explore how the story fits the serial format versus the novel format. In what ways does the structure of the novel give away its beginning as a serial drama in a newspaper?
Essay Topic 3
The word "halcyon" is a synonym for happiness and peace. Discuss how the meaning of his name relates to Edgar's journey and transformation as a character, giving specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)