|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Edgar tell Mrs. Madrigal that he will arrive at her party?
2. What assumption does DeDe make about how Carson Callas learns of her pregnancy?
3. What does Edgar think is the reason Williams called him about Mrs. Madrigal?
4. When Michael's father tells him to keep away from homosexuals, how does Michael respond?
5. Who is the doctor that Binky recommends to DeDe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
2. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
3. What do Michael's parents think about his relationship with Mona?
4. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
5. Explain what D'orothea tells Brian when they go for drinks after first meeting in the restaurant.
6. Summarize the conversation between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal at the Bohemian Grove.
7. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
8. Briefly recount the story that Mrs. Madrigal tells Edgar after they make love on his first visit to her home.
9. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
10. Summarize what Norman confesses to Mary Ann in the chapter, "Norman Confesses."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
Essay Topic 2
The word "halcyon" is a synonym for happiness and peace. Discuss how the meaning of his name relates to Edgar's journey and transformation as a character, giving specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author build on the mystery surrounding the character of Mrs. Madrigal? What do readers know about her? What do we not know? How does the author use other characters to reveal pieces of the puzzle surrounding Mrs. Madrigal's character?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)