|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of DeDe's baby?
2. What does D'orothea tell Brian that she does for work?
3. After Michael and Brian have an unsuccessful cruising expedition, where do they go?
4. When Norman confesses his anxiety about being with Mary Ann, who does he compare himself to?
5. Who is the doctor that Binky recommends to DeDe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
2. Briefly discuss the parallels between Frannie's Great Dane and Edgar.
3. Upon returning to San Francisco, what does DeDe realize and what does she do about it?
4. Briefly recount the story that Mrs. Madrigal tells Edgar after they make love on his first visit to her home.
5. Where does DeDe go for a transformation?
6. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
7. Summarize what Norman confesses to Mary Ann in the chapter, "Norman Confesses."
8. Explain what D'orothea tells Brian when they go for drinks after first meeting in the restaurant.
9. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
10. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the book seem search for something. Choose 3 characters and explain what they are searching for, how they go about it, and what the result of the search is, using quotes from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author build on the mystery surrounding the character of Mrs. Madrigal? What do readers know about her? What do we not know? How does the author use other characters to reveal pieces of the puzzle surrounding Mrs. Madrigal's character?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)