|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the reader infer after learning that Norman investigated Mrs. Madrigal's past?
2. When Mary Ann tells Michael that she is uneasy about Norman, what does Michael suggest?
3. What is Beauchamp's reaction when DeDe mentions having babies?
4. What is the result of the contest Michael entered?
5. What is Mona surprised by when she meets D'orothea's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
2. How does Norman Neal Williams find out that Mrs. Madrigal used to work in a book store?
3. Upon returning to San Francisco, what does DeDe realize and what does she do about it?
4. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
5. Explain what D'orothea tells Brian when they go for drinks after first meeting in the restaurant.
6. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
7. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
8. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
9. Summarize what Norman confesses to Mary Ann in the chapter, "Norman Confesses."
10. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the book seem search for something. Choose 3 characters and explain what they are searching for, how they go about it, and what the result of the search is, using quotes from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall style of the book, "Tales of the City." Make sure your answer includes the following:
1. How the short chapters contribute to the style.
2. The chapters alternate between different characters. How does this impact the style of the book?
3. Many chapters have cliffhanger endings. How does this impact the style of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of the tension between sexual freedom and emotional freedom is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples from the book, using quotes and definite theme in your essay.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)