|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of DeDe's baby?
2. When Mary Ann breaks into Norman's apartment, where does she look?
3. From whom does Michael want to keep the contest he enters a secret?
4. What does D'orothea say is the reason her last relationship ended?
5. When Mary Ann is out with Norman after the movie, why is she humiliated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
2. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
3. What happens to Mary Ann when she and Norman are in Chinatown after the movie?
4. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
5. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
6. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
7. What do Michael's parents think about his relationship with Mona?
8. What information is revealed during the conversation with Mona and D'orothea's father at the factory?
9. Upon returning to San Francisco, what does DeDe realize and what does she do about it?
10. Summarize the conversation between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal at the Bohemian Grove.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
Essay Topic 2
How does Edgar's attitude toward his wife, Frannie, change over the course of the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the setting of the book (San Francisco in the 1970's) impacts the plot and the characters. Give specific examples by choosing a few characters to focus on, including their reactions and lifestyle choices.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)