|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his dance for the contest, why does Michael become upset?
2. Where does Norman tell Mary Ann that Mrs. Madrigal used to work?
3. What is the result of the contest Michael entered?
4. Of what does Michael's father assure him?
5. When Michael's father tells him to keep away from homosexuals, how does Michael respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrative intersect the lives of the characters in unexpected ways? Give at least two examples from the book. How does this interconnectedness contribute to the overall plot? Why do you think the author felt the need to connect all the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the setting of the book (San Francisco in the 1970's) impacts the plot and the characters. Give specific examples by choosing a few characters to focus on, including their reactions and lifestyle choices.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the chapter titles throughout the novel. Choose at least 3 chapter titles and explain their layers of meaning, providing examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)