|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift for Norman is Mary Ann wrapping at her office?
2. While in suburbia, what does Norman reveal to Mary Ann?
3. What does Michael's father call homosexuals?
4. When Michael says he "wants someone to buy a Christmas tree with," what does he mean?
5. How does Mona react to D'orothea's long telephone conversations with her friends back in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
2. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
3. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
4. What happens to Mary Ann when she and Norman are in Chinatown after the movie?
5. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
6. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
7. Summarize what Norman confesses to Mary Ann in the chapter, "Norman Confesses."
8. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
9. Briefly recount the story that Mrs. Madrigal tells Edgar after they make love on his first visit to her home.
10. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Edgar's attitude toward his wife, Frannie, change over the course of the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The word "halcyon" is a synonym for happiness and peace. Discuss how the meaning of his name relates to Edgar's journey and transformation as a character, giving specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the setting of the book (San Francisco in the 1970's) impacts the plot and the characters. Give specific examples by choosing a few characters to focus on, including their reactions and lifestyle choices.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)