|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Boris?
2. During Norman's phone call from his pushy client, what does he reveal about Mrs. Madrigal?
3. What does D'orothea tell Brian that she does for work?
4. What does D'orothea tell Mona when the two women are out to lunch?
5. Where is Beauchamp when DeDe calls Binky to ask for the name of a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
2. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
3. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
4. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
5. Summarize the conversation between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal at the Bohemian Grove.
6. Briefly discuss the parallels between Frannie's Great Dane and Edgar.
7. Where does DeDe go for a transformation?
8. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
9. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
10. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of human frailty is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples of the book to support your discussion on theme and make sure that you define theme.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the chapter titles throughout the novel. Choose at least 3 chapter titles and explain their layers of meaning, providing examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
How does Edgar's attitude toward his wife, Frannie, change over the course of the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)