|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brian meet D'orothea?
2. While in suburbia, what does Norman reveal to Mary Ann?
3. What does D'orothea tell Mona when the two women are out to lunch?
4. When DeDe returns home after losing weight, what does Beauchamp tell her?
5. What is the nickname that Mona and Mary Ann have for Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
2. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
3. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
4. Briefly discuss the parallels between Frannie's Great Dane and Edgar.
5. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
6. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
7. Explain what D'orothea tells Brian when they go for drinks after first meeting in the restaurant.
8. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
9. What does the reader learn about the two characters when Brian talks with Michael in the courtyard while Michael is tanning before the contest?
10. What does Norman Neal Williams reveal to Mary Ann in the car during the trick or treating outing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the nature of family in terms of the following two relationships: Mona and Mrs. Madrigal, Michael and Mona. What do these relationships signify about the author's view of family?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)