|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning home from a gospel church, what happens to Mona?
2. What assumption does DeDe make about how Carson Callas learns of her pregnancy?
3. Why does Michael become embarrassed when he is out for dinner with his parents?
4. When Micheal's parents first arrive, what do they tease him about?
5. From whom does Michael want to keep the contest he enters a secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
2. Edgar meets Beauchamp and tells him something in strictest confidence. What is the reader supposed to think that Edgar told him?
3. What does Norman Neal Williams reveal to Mary Ann in the car during the trick or treating outing?
4. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
5. Upon returning to San Francisco, what does DeDe realize and what does she do about it?
6. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
7. Summarize the conversation between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal at the Bohemian Grove.
8. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
9. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
10. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Mary Ann assert her independence in the novel? In what ways does DeDe assert her independence? Are there similarities between the growth of these two female characters? What are they? Give specific examples of the growth and independence of Mary Ann and DeDe.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)