|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning home from a gospel church, what happens to Mona?
2. Where does Brian pick up Candi?
3. Who is the doctor that Binky recommends to DeDe?
4. What does Mrs. Madrigal need to reassure Edgar about after they make love in her apartment on his first visit there?
5. In "The Beach Boys," Brian and Michael realize that they both want what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
2. What does the reader learn about the two characters when Brian talks with Michael in the courtyard while Michael is tanning before the contest?
3. What does Mary Ann realize about Brian when she talks with him after returning home from finding Vincent dead?
4. Where does DeDe go for a transformation?
5. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
6. Explain how DeDe's decision to have the baby marks the climax of her transformation.
7. Explain what D'orothea tells Brian when they go for drinks after first meeting in the restaurant.
8. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
9. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
10. How does Norman Neal Williams find out that Mrs. Madrigal used to work in a book store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of human frailty is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples of the book to support your discussion on theme and make sure that you define theme.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author build on the mystery surrounding the character of Mrs. Madrigal? What do readers know about her? What do we not know? How does the author use other characters to reveal pieces of the puzzle surrounding Mrs. Madrigal's character?
Essay Topic 3
"Tales of the City" is a book with a lot of characters. Discuss how the author's use of dialogue contribute to the reader's understanding of the characters in the novel.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)