|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason D'orothea tells Brian that she is in San Francisco?
2. What gift for Norman is Mary Ann wrapping at her office?
3. When Michael says he "wants someone to buy a Christmas tree with," what does he mean?
4. What does Norman Neal Williams tell Mary Ann he does for a job?
5. When she returns home after finding Vincent dead, who does Mary Ann visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
2. Upon returning to San Francisco, what does DeDe realize and what does she do about it?
3. What does Norman Neal Williams reveal to Mary Ann in the car during the trick or treating outing?
4. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
5. What does the reader learn about the two characters when Brian talks with Michael in the courtyard while Michael is tanning before the contest?
6. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
7. What happens to Mary Ann when she and Norman are in Chinatown after the movie?
8. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
9. Briefly recount the events that lead Mary Ann to meet Norman Neal Williams.
10. Edgar meets Beauchamp and tells him something in strictest confidence. What is the reader supposed to think that Edgar told him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "halcyon" is a synonym for happiness and peace. Discuss how the meaning of his name relates to Edgar's journey and transformation as a character, giving specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative intersect the lives of the characters in unexpected ways? Give at least two examples from the book. How does this interconnectedness contribute to the overall plot? Why do you think the author felt the need to connect all the characters?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)