|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Connie's Bummer Night," how do Mary Ann and Connie part ways?
2. How does Brian react when Hillary reveals that she thinks he is homosexual?
3. What color is Jon's hair?
4. What does Mary Ann see in Mrs. Madrigal's bedroom?
5. In "Connie's Place," which emotion best describes Mary Ann's reaction to a magazine article about a co-ed orgy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly discuss the scenario between Mary Ann and Beauchamp in the Mendocino cabin.
2. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
3. What does DeDe do after Splinter refuses her?
4. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
5. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
6. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland and what changes her mind?
7. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
8. Discuss Mary Ann's initial reaction to the lifestyle in San Francisco.
9. Briefly discuss the argument between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal as regards Mona's employment.
10. Of what does Hillary accuse Brian? How does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The one nuclear family in the book include the Halcyons: Edgar, Frannie, DeDe, and Beauchamp (by marriage). How does the author portray this family? Based on this portrayal, what can the reader infer about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the parallels between the relationships of Mona and her family, Michael and his family, and Mary Ann and her family. Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall style of the book, "Tales of the City." Make sure your answer includes the following:
1. How the short chapters contribute to the style.
2. The chapters alternate between different characters. How does this impact the style of the book?
3. Many chapters have cliffhanger endings. How does this impact the style of the book?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)