|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Brian that he should meet Mary Ann?
2. What is the source of the argument between Beauchamp and Mary Ann when they are in bed together for the first time?
3. What is Mary Ann's job before she moves to San Fransisco?
4. What does DeDe show her mother when she tells her that she thinks Beauchamp is having an affair?
5. Which tenant does Mary Ann meet while she takes out her trash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
2. Edgar meets Beauchamp and tells him something in strictest confidence. What is the reader supposed to think that Edgar told him?
3. What does the reader learn about the two characters when Brian talks with Michael in the courtyard while Michael is tanning before the contest?
4. How does Mrs. Madrigal comfort Edgar after he confesses that he is dying?
5. Which other significant character does Mary Ann meet at Social Safeway?
6. What happens to Mary Ann when she and Norman are in Chinatown after the movie?
7. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
8. What do Michael's parents think about his relationship with Mona?
9. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
10. How does Mona help Mary Ann when the two women first meet?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of the tension between sexual freedom and emotional freedom is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples from the book, using quotes and definite theme in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
"Tales of the City" is a book with a lot of characters. Discuss how the author's use of dialogue contribute to the reader's understanding of the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
This section contains 1,488 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)