|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the landlady of 28 Barbary Lane?
2. In "Mrs. Day at Home," what does DeDe watch out of the window of her home?
3. Based on the conversation with his doctor, how long does Edgar have to live?
4. After being propositioned at a nightclub by a "long-haired man," what does Mary Ann do?
5. How does Michael meet Jon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
2. How does Mary Ann feel after her weekend in Mendocino with Beauchamp?
3. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
4. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
5. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
6. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
7. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
8. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
9. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
10. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
Essay Topic 1
How does the author build on the mystery surrounding the character of Mrs. Madrigal? What do readers know about her? What do we not know? How does the author use other characters to reveal pieces of the puzzle surrounding Mrs. Madrigal's character?
Essay Topic 2
The one nuclear family in the book include the Halcyons: Edgar, Frannie, DeDe, and Beauchamp (by marriage). How does the author portray this family? Based on this portrayal, what can the reader infer about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 3
"Tales of the City" is a book with a lot of characters. Discuss how the author's use of dialogue contribute to the reader's understanding of the characters in the novel.
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)