|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edgar react when Mrs. Madrigal says she runs a house of her own?
2. Upon arriving at the cabin in Mendocino, what is Mary Ann bothered by?
3. What does DeDe learn from Splinter?
4. Where does Edgar go after his doctor's appointment?
5. Why is Edgar seeing Ruby Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when DeDe visits Mary Ann?
2. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
3. Over what work issue does Edgar get angry with Beauchamp?
4. What happens in Chapters 22 through 30 that shows how the narrative intersects the lives of its characters?
5. What is DeDe convinced of when she finds the scarf in the car?
6. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
7. In "Mona's New Roomie," what does the reader learn about Mona and Michael's relationship?
8. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
9. Of what does Hillary accuse Brian? How does he react?
10. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Norman Neal Williams does not meet a pleasant end. Discuss how the author uses foreshadowing to prepare the reader for what happens to Norman. Give 2 to 3 examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
Essay Topic 3
"Tales of the City" was originally published as a daily newspaper serial. Explore how the story fits the serial format versus the novel format. In what ways does the structure of the novel give away its beginning as a serial drama in a newspaper?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)