|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Connie's Place," which emotion best describes Mary Ann's reaction to a magazine article about a co-ed orgy?
2. Where is Mary Ann Singleton originally from?
3. What is Jon's job?
4. After being fired, what does Mona tell Mrs. Madrigal?
5. What does Mary Ann learn about Mrs. Madrigal during their conversation after Mary Ann has been in her landlady's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
2. Of what does Hillary accuse Brian? How does he react?
3. Which other significant character does Mary Ann meet at Social Safeway?
4. Describe Mrs. Madrigal and Mary Ann's initial interaction.
5. How does Mary Ann feel after her weekend in Mendocino with Beauchamp?
6. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
7. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
8. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
9. What happens in Chapters 22 through 30 that shows how the narrative intersects the lives of its characters?
10. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Edgar's attitude toward his wife, Frannie, change over the course of the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative intersect the lives of the characters in unexpected ways? Give at least two examples from the book. How does this interconnectedness contribute to the overall plot? Why do you think the author felt the need to connect all the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)