|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Brian that he should meet Mary Ann?
2. How does Edgar react when Mrs. Madrigal says she runs a house of her own?
3. Why does DeDe visit Mary Ann at Barbary Lane?
4. What costume is Michael wearing when he asks Mary Ann to go out with him and tells her about the new tenant on the roof?
5. When DeDe makes up a story about being raped, who does she claim raped her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which other significant character does Mary Ann meet at Social Safeway?
2. What is the source of Edgar's bad temper and general unhappiness?
3. What does DeDe do after Splinter refuses her?
4. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
5. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
6. Mary Ann and Brian discuss secrets in San Francisco. Briefly state each of the character's views on this subject.
7. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
8. How does Mary Ann feel after her weekend in Mendocino with Beauchamp?
9. How does Mrs. Madrigal comfort Edgar after he confesses that he is dying?
10. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the parallels between the relationships of Mona and her family, Michael and his family, and Mary Ann and her family. Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Norman Neal Williams does not meet a pleasant end. Discuss how the author uses foreshadowing to prepare the reader for what happens to Norman. Give 2 to 3 examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)