|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jon's job?
2. Who is the landlady of 28 Barbary Lane?
3. What gift does Mary Ann receive as her welcome gift?
4. Why does Frannie come out of the bathroom at her party?
5. In "Mrs. Day at Home," who does DeDe call?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
2. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
3. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
4. What is DeDe convinced of when she finds the scarf in the car?
5. Briefly discuss the scenario between Mary Ann and Beauchamp in the Mendocino cabin.
6. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
7. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
8. How does Mona help Mary Ann when the two women first meet?
9. What happens in Chapters 22 through 30 that shows how the narrative intersects the lives of its characters?
10. How does Mrs. Madrigal react when Mary Ann mentions the picture of the soldier in her bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The one nuclear family in the book include the Halcyons: Edgar, Frannie, DeDe, and Beauchamp (by marriage). How does the author portray this family? Based on this portrayal, what can the reader infer about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall style of the book, "Tales of the City." Make sure your answer includes the following:
1. How the short chapters contribute to the style.
2. The chapters alternate between different characters. How does this impact the style of the book?
3. Many chapters have cliffhanger endings. How does this impact the style of the book?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)