|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being propositioned at a nightclub by a "long-haired man," what does Mary Ann do?
2. Why does Brian go to a bathhouse?
3. In "Anguish in Bohemia," what does Beauchamp remember while he is having a drink with his friend Peter?
4. What is Mary Ann's job before she moves to San Fransisco?
5. In "Mona's New Roomie," why is Michael sad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland and what changes her mind?
2. Briefly discuss the argument between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal as regards Mona's employment.
3. How does Mrs. Madrigal react when Mary Ann mentions the picture of the soldier in her bedroom?
4. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
5. Which other significant character does Mary Ann meet at Social Safeway?
6. How does Mona help Mary Ann when the two women first meet?
7. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
8. Explain what happens when DeDe visits Mary Ann?
9. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
10. Briefly discuss the scenario between Mary Ann and Beauchamp in the Mendocino cabin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the parallels between the relationships of Mona and her family, Michael and his family, and Mary Ann and her family. Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The word "halcyon" is a synonym for happiness and peace. Discuss how the meaning of his name relates to Edgar's journey and transformation as a character, giving specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the nature of family in terms of the following two relationships: Mona and Mrs. Madrigal, Michael and Mona. What do these relationships signify about the author's view of family?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)