|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Brian that he should meet Mary Ann?
2. After being fired, what does Mona tell Mrs. Madrigal?
3. What gift does Mary Ann receive as her welcome gift?
4. Which tenant does Mary Ann meet while she takes out her trash?
5. What does Mary Ann see in Mrs. Madrigal's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
2. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
3. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
4. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
5. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
6. What do Mona and D'orothea argue about after Mona already moved in with D'orothea?
7. Summarize the conversation between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal at the Bohemian Grove.
8. Edgar meets Beauchamp and tells him something in strictest confidence. What is the reader supposed to think that Edgar told him?
9. What two things does Mona do in an attempt to make something of her relationship with D'orothea?
10. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Tales of the City" is a book with a lot of characters. Discuss how the author's use of dialogue contribute to the reader's understanding of the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the nature of family in terms of the following two relationships: Mona and Mrs. Madrigal, Michael and Mona. What do these relationships signify about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall style of the book, "Tales of the City." Make sure your answer includes the following:
1. How the short chapters contribute to the style.
2. The chapters alternate between different characters. How does this impact the style of the book?
3. Many chapters have cliffhanger endings. How does this impact the style of the book?
This section contains 1,529 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)