|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Madrigal tell Edgar as she hands him the kite?
2. What color is Jon's hair?
3. Why is Edgar seeing Ruby Miller?
4. What does Mona bring Michael and Jon after their first night together?
5. During which decade is the story set?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
2. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
3. What is the source of Edgar's bad temper and general unhappiness?
4. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
5. How does Mrs. Madrigal react when Mary Ann mentions the picture of the soldier in her bedroom?
6. Briefly discuss the argument between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal as regards Mona's employment.
7. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
8. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
9. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
10. Mary Ann and Brian discuss secrets in San Francisco. Briefly state each of the character's views on this subject.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of the tension between sexual freedom and emotional freedom is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples from the book, using quotes and definite theme in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Mary Ann assert her independence in the novel? In what ways does DeDe assert her independence? Are there similarities between the growth of these two female characters? What are they? Give specific examples of the growth and independence of Mary Ann and DeDe.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative intersect the lives of the characters in unexpected ways? Give at least two examples from the book. How does this interconnectedness contribute to the overall plot? Why do you think the author felt the need to connect all the characters?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)