|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frannie become upset at her party and lock herself in the bathroom?
2. Who invites Mary Ann for dinner in "Edgar Blows Up"?
3. What does Mrs. Madrigal tell Edgar as she hands him the kite?
4. After admitting that his wife left him, what does Vincent do?
5. Who does Mary Ann first tell that she is thinking of moving back to Cleveland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
2. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
3. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
4. How does Mona help Mary Ann when the two women first meet?
5. Of what does Hillary accuse Brian? How does he react?
6. In "Mona's New Roomie," what does the reader learn about Mona and Michael's relationship?
7. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
8. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
9. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
10. How does Mrs. Madrigal comfort Edgar after he confesses that he is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
Essay Topic 2
The one nuclear family in the book include the Halcyons: Edgar, Frannie, DeDe, and Beauchamp (by marriage). How does the author portray this family? Based on this portrayal, what can the reader infer about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of human frailty is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples of the book to support your discussion on theme and make sure that you define theme.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)