|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Mary Ann stay while she finds her own apartment?
2. When Mona and Michael are at the nude beach, what does Mona complain about?
3. Where does Beauchamp invite Mary Ann?
4. Mrs. Madrigal reminds Mona that she has lived at Barbary Lane for how long?
5. Which tenant does Mary Ann meet while she takes out her trash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when DeDe visits Mary Ann?
2. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
3. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
4. How does Mona help Mary Ann when the two women first meet?
5. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
6. What happens in Chapters 22 through 30 that shows how the narrative intersects the lives of its characters?
7. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
8. Discuss Mary Ann's initial reaction to the lifestyle in San Francisco.
9. What is DeDe convinced of when she finds the scarf in the car?
10. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of human frailty is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples of the book to support your discussion on theme and make sure that you define theme.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of the tension between sexual freedom and emotional freedom is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples from the book, using quotes and definite theme in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author build on the mystery surrounding the character of Mrs. Madrigal? What do readers know about her? What do we not know? How does the author use other characters to reveal pieces of the puzzle surrounding Mrs. Madrigal's character?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)