|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ruby put Edgar for the massage she gives him?
2. Who does Mary Ann first tell that she is thinking of moving back to Cleveland?
3. By what means of communication does Mary Ann tell her mother that she is not returning home?
4. Why is Edgar seeing Ruby Miller?
5. Who is DeDe embarrassed to see at Frannie's party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Madrigal react when Mary Ann mentions the picture of the soldier in her bedroom?
2. Discuss Mary Ann's initial reaction to the lifestyle in San Francisco.
3. Mary Ann and Brian discuss secrets in San Francisco. Briefly state each of the character's views on this subject.
4. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
5. Briefly discuss the scenario between Mary Ann and Beauchamp in the Mendocino cabin.
6. What is DeDe convinced of when she finds the scarf in the car?
7. How does Mary Ann feel after her weekend in Mendocino with Beauchamp?
8. Explain what happens when DeDe visits Mary Ann?
9. Why do neither Mary Ann nor Connie think they will stay in touch when Mary Ann moves out?
10. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Norman Neal Williams does not meet a pleasant end. Discuss how the author uses foreshadowing to prepare the reader for what happens to Norman. Give 2 to 3 examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the setting of the book (San Francisco in the 1970's) impacts the plot and the characters. Give specific examples by choosing a few characters to focus on, including their reactions and lifestyle choices.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of the tension between sexual freedom and emotional freedom is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples from the book, using quotes and definite theme in your essay.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)