|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling Edgar how long he has to live, what advice does the doctor give Edgar?
2. On her first date with Edgar, what does Mrs. Madrigal use to bribe the young people to use the kite?
3. What is the reason Mrs. Madrigal gives for wanting to meet Mona?
4. With what is Mary Ann frustrated about life in San Francisco?
5. What costume is Michael wearing when he asks Mary Ann to go out with him and tells her about the new tenant on the roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mary Ann when she and Norman are in Chinatown after the movie?
2. What information is revealed during the conversation with Mona and D'orothea's father at the factory?
3. Of what does Hillary accuse Brian? How does he react?
4. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland and what changes her mind?
5. How does Norman Neal Williams find out that Mrs. Madrigal used to work in a book store?
6. What does Norman Neal Williams reveal to Mary Ann in the car during the trick or treating outing?
7. Why does Vincent take Mary Ann into account when he decides how to kill himself?
8. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
9. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
10. What does DeDe do after Splinter refuses her?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mary Ann assert her independence in the novel? In what ways does DeDe assert her independence? Are there similarities between the growth of these two female characters? What are they? Give specific examples of the growth and independence of Mary Ann and DeDe.
Essay Topic 2
"Tales of the City" is a book with a lot of characters. Discuss how the author's use of dialogue contribute to the reader's understanding of the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the book seem search for something. Choose 3 characters and explain what they are searching for, how they go about it, and what the result of the search is, using quotes from the book to support your position.
This section contains 1,584 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)