Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the landlady of 28 Barbary Lane?
2. In "Mrs. Day at Home," what does DeDe watch out of the window of her home?
3. Based on the conversation with his doctor, how long does Edgar have to live?
4. After being propositioned at a nightclub by a "long-haired man," what does Mary Ann do?
5. How does Michael meet Jon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
2. How does Mary Ann feel after her weekend in Mendocino with Beauchamp?
3. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
4. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
5. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
6. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
7. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
8. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
9. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
10. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of the tension between sexual freedom and emotional freedom is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples from the book, using quotes and definite theme in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall style of the book, "Tales of the City." Make sure your answer includes the following:
1. How the short chapters contribute to the style.
2. The chapters alternate between different characters. How does this impact the style of the book?
3. Many chapters have cliffhanger endings. How does this impact the style of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mary Ann assert her independence in the novel? In what ways does DeDe assert her independence? Are there similarities between the growth of these two female characters? What are they? Give specific examples of the growth and independence of Mary Ann and DeDe.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)