|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling Edgar how long he has to live, what advice does the doctor give Edgar?
2. Where does Ruby put Edgar for the massage she gives him?
3. Where does Mary Ann volunteer?
4. In "Mrs. Day at Home," what does DeDe watch out of the window of her home?
5. Which place do Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly discuss the argument between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal as regards Mona's employment.
2. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
3. How does Mrs. Madrigal react when Mary Ann mentions the picture of the soldier in her bedroom?
4. Describe Mrs. Madrigal and Mary Ann's initial interaction.
5. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
6. Summarize what Norman confesses to Mary Ann in the chapter, "Norman Confesses."
7. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
8. Edgar meets Beauchamp and tells him something in strictest confidence. What is the reader supposed to think that Edgar told him?
9. Explain what D'orothea tells Brian when they go for drinks after first meeting in the restaurant.
10. What happens when D'orothea's parents arrive at dinner?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the chapter titles throughout the novel. Choose at least 3 chapter titles and explain their layers of meaning, providing examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative intersect the lives of the characters in unexpected ways? Give at least two examples from the book. How does this interconnectedness contribute to the overall plot? Why do you think the author felt the need to connect all the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall style of the book, "Tales of the City." Make sure your answer includes the following:
1. How the short chapters contribute to the style.
2. The chapters alternate between different characters. How does this impact the style of the book?
3. Many chapters have cliffhanger endings. How does this impact the style of the book?
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)