|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Jon's hair?
2. What is Jon's job?
3. What does DeDe show her mother when she tells her that she thinks Beauchamp is having an affair?
4. In "Anguish in Bohemia," what does Beauchamp remember while he is having a drink with his friend Peter?
5. Why is Edgar seeing Ruby Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
2. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
3. What is the source of Edgar's bad temper and general unhappiness?
4. What does DeDe do after Splinter refuses her?
5. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
6. How does Mrs. Madrigal react when Mary Ann mentions the picture of the soldier in her bedroom?
7. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
8. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
9. In "Mona's New Roomie," what does the reader learn about Mona and Michael's relationship?
10. Mary Ann and Brian discuss secrets in San Francisco. Briefly state each of the character's views on this subject.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the book seem search for something. Choose 3 characters and explain what they are searching for, how they go about it, and what the result of the search is, using quotes from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the several layers of meaning of the name of the pick up joint in "Brian Climbs the Walls," the Come Clean Laundromat. How is the name ironic? How does the name signify the reason that people go there?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author build on the mystery surrounding the character of Mrs. Madrigal? What do readers know about her? What do we not know? How does the author use other characters to reveal pieces of the puzzle surrounding Mrs. Madrigal's character?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)