Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the landlady of 28 Barbary Lane?
2. In "Mrs. Day at Home," what does DeDe watch out of the window of her home?
3. Based on the conversation with his doctor, how long does Edgar have to live?
4. After being propositioned at a nightclub by a "long-haired man," what does Mary Ann do?
5. How does Michael meet Jon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
2. How does Mary Ann feel after her weekend in Mendocino with Beauchamp?
3. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
4. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
5. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
6. Summarize what happens during Michael's dance contest.
7. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
8. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
9. Discuss DeDe's dilemma with regards to her pregnancy.
10. Briefly summarize what happens to Brian at the Treasure Island Trailer Court.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Frannie's relationship with her husband, Edgar and her relationship with her Great Dane. What does the writing and style of "The Diagnosis" show about these relationships? How do these relationships fit in with the overall theme of family in the novel? Give specific examples of their interactions and the theme in 'Tales of the City."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the parallels between the relationships of Mona and her family, Michael and his family, and Mary Ann and her family. Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of human frailty is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples of the book to support your discussion on theme and make sure that you define theme.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)