|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vincent claim that people call hot lines?
2. Why is Edgar seeing Ruby Miller?
3. During his argument with DeDe, what does Beauchamp say he was doing with Mary Ann?
4. In "Connie's Place," which emotion best describes Mary Ann's reaction to a magazine article about a co-ed orgy?
5. In "Mona's New Roomie," why is Michael sad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mona worried about after Michael meets Jon?
2. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
3. How does Mary Ann feel after her weekend in Mendocino with Beauchamp?
4. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland and what changes her mind?
5. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
6. Why do neither Mary Ann nor Connie think they will stay in touch when Mary Ann moves out?
7. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
8. Discuss Mary Ann's initial reaction to the lifestyle in San Francisco.
9. What happens in Chapters 22 through 30 that shows how the narrative intersects the lives of its characters?
10. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of the nature of family in terms of the following two relationships: Mona and Mrs. Madrigal, Michael and Mona. What do these relationships signify about the author's view of family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the chapter titles throughout the novel. Choose at least 3 chapter titles and explain their layers of meaning, providing examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrative intersect the lives of the characters in unexpected ways? Give at least two examples from the book. How does this interconnectedness contribute to the overall plot? Why do you think the author felt the need to connect all the characters?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)