|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day Mary Ann is invited for dinner, Mona leaves work early in order to reassure whom?
2. Upon arriving at the cabin in Mendocino, what is Mary Ann bothered by?
3. How does Mary Ann react when her mother tells her it is time to come home?
4. In "Anguish in Bohemia," what does Beauchamp remember while he is having a drink with his friend Peter?
5. When Mona and Michael are at the nude beach, what does Mona complain about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
2. Mary Ann and Brian discuss secrets in San Francisco. Briefly state each of the character's views on this subject.
3. What is DeDe convinced of when she finds the scarf in the car?
4. Upon returning to San Francisco, what does DeDe realize and what does she do about it?
5. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
6. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
7. The reader learns that Norman is a private investigator. What other information does the telephone conversation between him and Mrs. Ramsey reveal?
8. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
9. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
10. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Norman Neal Williams does not meet a pleasant end. Discuss how the author uses foreshadowing to prepare the reader for what happens to Norman. Give 2 to 3 examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the theme of the tension between sexual freedom and emotional freedom is explored in "Tales of the City." Give examples from the book, using quotes and definite theme in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the symbolism of parrots in the novel. What do parrots symbolize? How do parrots impact the novel? Give specific examples from the book to support your discussion and make sure that you define symbolism in the essay.
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)