|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does DeDe learn from Splinter?
2. In "Connie's Place," which emotion best describes Mary Ann's reaction to a magazine article about a co-ed orgy?
3. After she looses her job, what does Michael do to try to cheer Mona up?
4. What does DeDe do when she returns home from talking with Mary Ann?
5. What does Mary Ann learn about Mrs. Madrigal during their conversation after Mary Ann has been in her landlady's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Over what work issue does Edgar get angry with Beauchamp?
2. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
3. Describe Mrs. Madrigal and Mary Ann's initial interaction.
4. Which other significant character does Mary Ann meet at Social Safeway?
5. How does Mona help Mary Ann when the two women first meet?
6. Discuss Mary Ann's initial reaction to the lifestyle in San Francisco.
7. How does Mrs. Madrigal react when Mary Ann mentions the picture of the soldier in her bedroom?
8. What is the source of Edgar's bad temper and general unhappiness?
9. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
10. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the book seem search for something. Choose 3 characters and explain what they are searching for, how they go about it, and what the result of the search is, using quotes from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the setting of the book (San Francisco in the 1970's) impacts the plot and the characters. Give specific examples by choosing a few characters to focus on, including their reactions and lifestyle choices.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the nature of family in terms of the following two relationships: Mona and Mrs. Madrigal, Michael and Mona. What do these relationships signify about the author's view of family?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)