|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Connie's Bummer Night," how do Mary Ann and Connie part ways?
(a) Connie moves in with her boyfriend.
(b) They get in a fight.
(c) Mary Ann leaves in the middle of the night.
(d) They promise to stay in touch.
2. What does Brian talk about with Hillary before she invites him to her room?
(a) Socialism and communism.
(b) Politics and sports.
(c) Slavery and cooking.
(d) Vegetarianism and activism.
3. How does Brian react when Hillary reveals that she thinks he is homosexual?
(a) He bursts into tears.
(b) He starts laughing.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is shocked.
4. Where do Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal go on their first date?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) 28 Barbary Lane.
(c) The beach.
(d) The park.
5. What is the reason Edgar gives for telling Mrs. Madrigal he would take Mona back?
(a) He knows Mrs. Madrigal cares about her.
(b) He cannot fill Mona's position.
(c) He wants Mrs. Madrigal to get her rent money.
(d) He has an important client who wants to work with Mona.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michael meet Jon?
2. After being propositioned at a nightclub by a "long-haired man," what does Mary Ann do?
3. Who leaves Mary Ann her welcome gift?
4. What is the source of the argument between Beauchamp and Mary Ann when they are in bed together for the first time?
5. Where does Mary Ann volunteer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
2. At Frannie's party, what happens to the conductor and where does he go?
3. How does Mrs. Madrigal comfort Edgar after he confesses that he is dying?
4. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
5. Briefly discuss the argument between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal as regards Mona's employment.
6. Which other significant character does Mary Ann meet at Social Safeway?
7. How is Mona's relationship with her mother different from her relationship with Mrs. Madrigal?
8. Discuss Mary Ann's initial reaction to the lifestyle in San Francisco.
9. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
10. How are Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal connected even though they don't know it at first?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)