|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What costume is Michael wearing when he asks Mary Ann to go out with him and tells her about the new tenant on the roof?
(a) Fiddler on the roof.
(b) The Greek god Pan.
(c) A lion tamer.
(d) A fire fighter.
2. Where does Mary Ann volunteer?
(a) Bay Area Crisis Switchboard.
(b) San Francisco Gay Alliance.
(c) Pioneer Elementary School.
(d) American Red Cross.
3. During which decade is the story set?
4. After being propositioned at a nightclub by a "long-haired man," what does Mary Ann do?
(a) She leaves with Connie.
(b) She goes home.
(c) She dances with him.
(d) She goes to his house.
5. Who invites Mary Ann for dinner in "Edgar Blows Up"?
(a) Edgar Halcyon.
(b) Connie Bradshaw.
(c) Mona Ramsey.
(d) Mrs. Madrigal.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being fired, what does Mona tell Mrs. Madrigal?
2. Which character seems to hide a secret?
3. Upon arriving at the cabin in Mendocino, what is Mary Ann bothered by?
4. What do Beauchamp and Peter do at the opera?
5. On the day Mary Ann is invited for dinner, Mona leaves work early in order to reassure whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly compare the two women in Edgar's life, Ruby Miller and Frannie.
2. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
3. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
4. Briefly discuss the scenario between Mary Ann and Beauchamp in the Mendocino cabin.
5. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland and what changes her mind?
6. What is DeDe convinced of when she finds the scarf in the car?
7. What is the source of Edgar's bad temper and general unhappiness?
8. How does Mrs. Madrigal comfort Edgar after he confesses that he is dying?
9. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
10. How does Mona help Mary Ann when the two women first meet?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)