|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the source of the argument between Beauchamp and Mary Ann when they are in bed together for the first time?
(a) Beauchamp's wife.
(b) Mary Ann's nervousness.
(c) Beauchamp's impotence.
(d) Mary Ann's snoring.
2. How does Beauchamp seduce Mary Ann?
(a) He talks to her about her innocence.
(b) He gives her a neck massage.
(c) He kisses her neck.
(d) He cooks a romantic dinner for her.
3. In "Mona's New Roomie," why is Michael sad?
(a) His dog just died.
(b) He lost his job.
(c) He lost his wallet.
(d) He has been dumped.
4. Edgar thinks that Mrs. Madrigal __________ his pain.
(b) Feels threatened by.
5. Which place do Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal have in common?
(a) A whorehouse.
(b) An apartment building.
(c) A bathhouse.
(d) A restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mona tells Mary Ann that she has to make things work, what does she give her?
2. Why does Frannie come out of the bathroom at her party?
3. What does DeDe show her mother when she tells her that she thinks Beauchamp is having an affair?
4. Why does DeDe visit Mary Ann at Barbary Lane?
5. Why is Mona fired from her job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mary Ann and Brian discuss secrets in San Francisco. Briefly state each of the character's views on this subject.
2. What happens during the encounter between DeDe and Carson Callas?
3. Where does DeDe go for a transformation?
4. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland and what changes her mind?
5. What happens when Mona tells Michael that she is moving out?
6. Briefly recount the story that Mrs. Madrigal tells Edgar after they make love on his first visit to her home.
7. What happens in Chapters 22 through 30 that shows how the narrative intersects the lives of its characters?
8. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
9. Briefly discuss the scenario between Mary Ann and Beauchamp in the Mendocino cabin.
10. What information is revealed during the conversation with Mona and D'orothea's father at the factory?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)