|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Madrigal tell Edgar as she hands him the kite?
(a) "Make it count."
(b) "Get it in the wind."
(c) "I approve of you."
(d) "Run fast."
2. In "Anguish in Bohemia," what does Beauchamp remember while he is having a drink with his friend Peter?
(a) He has important work to do.
(b) He is supposed to be somewhere with DeDe.
(c) Today is DeDe's birthday.
(d) He remembers how he used to act when he in college.
3. Who leaves Mary Ann her welcome gift?
(a) Mrs. Madrigal.
(b) Mona Ramsey.
(c) Edgar Halcyon.
(d) Connie Bradshaw.
4. How does Michael meet Jon?
(a) He runs into Jon on roller skates.
(b) He gets introduced by a mutual friend.
(c) He approaches Jon in a bar.
(d) He meets Jon in a bathhouse.
5. Who visits Mary Ann after her dinner with Mrs. Madrigal, offering to fix something?
(a) Beauchamp Day.
(b) Michael Tolliver.
(c) Mona Ramsey.
(d) Brian Hawkins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Mrs. Madrigal gives for wanting to meet Mona?
2. Who is Mary Ann's boss?
3. How does Beauchamp seduce Mary Ann?
4. Why does Frannie become upset at her party and lock herself in the bathroom?
5. During which decade is the story set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Peter from the scene when he and Beauchamp are at the opera?
2. In "Relating at Lunch," how does Beauchamp change the status of his relationship with Mary Ann?
3. What happens that makes Michael admit to Jon that he is trying to make himself more attractive?
4. Describe Mrs. Madrigal and Mary Ann's initial interaction.
5. What does Mona tell Mary Ann to try to convince her to stay in San Francisco?
6. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland and what changes her mind?
7. Over what work issue does Edgar get angry with Beauchamp?
8. Briefly discuss the scenario between Mary Ann and Beauchamp in the Mendocino cabin.
9. How does Edgar Halcyon describe himself?
10. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)