|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the conversation with his doctor, how long does Edgar have to live?
(a) One month.
(b) Six years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
2. After admitting that his wife left him, what does Vincent do?
(a) He calls a friend for support.
(b) He tries to commit suicide.
(c) He locks himself in the bathroom.
(d) He leaves the building to go home.
3. What does Mary Ann learn about Mrs. Madrigal during their conversation after Mary Ann has been in her landlady's bedroom?
(a) Mrs. Madrigal never married.
(b) Mrs. Madrigal is a homosexual.
(c) Mrs. Madrigal is divorced.
(d) Mrs. Madrigal has a boyfriend.
4. By what means of communication does Mary Ann tell her mother that she is not returning home?
(a) Telephone call.
(c) Face-to-face conversation.
5. Who visits Mary Ann after her dinner with Mrs. Madrigal, offering to fix something?
(a) Beauchamp Day.
(b) Brian Hawkins.
(c) Mona Ramsey.
(d) Michael Tolliver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary Ann's boss?
2. Where are the couple when Edgar confesses to Mrs. Madrigal that he is dying?
3. Why is Edgar seeing Ruby Miller?
4. How is Beauchamp related to Edgar Halcyon?
5. After telling Edgar how long he has to live, what advice does the doctor give Edgar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the source of Edgar's bad temper and general unhappiness?
2. Describe Mrs. Madrigal and Mary Ann's initial interaction.
3. Of what does Hillary accuse Brian? How does he react?
4. What happens in Chapters 22 through 30 that shows how the narrative intersects the lives of its characters?
5. Discuss Mary Ann's initial reaction to the lifestyle in San Francisco.
6. What is DeDe convinced of when she finds the scarf in the car?
7. How does Mrs. Madrigal welcome Mary Ann to 28 Barbary Lane?
8. What advice does Edgar receive from his doctor and from Mrs. Madrigal?
9. Over what work issue does Edgar get angry with Beauchamp?
10. Briefly discuss the argument between Edgar and Mrs. Madrigal as regards Mona's employment.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)