|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vincent claim that people call hot lines?
(a) Because they have been abandoned.
(b) To talk.
(c) Because they are suicidal.
(d) To make friends.
2. Where does Mary Ann volunteer?
(a) American Red Cross.
(b) Bay Area Crisis Switchboard.
(c) San Francisco Gay Alliance.
(d) Pioneer Elementary School.
3. Mrs. Madrigal reminds Mona that she has lived at Barbary Lane for how long?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Four years.
4. By what means of communication does Mary Ann tell her mother that she is not returning home?
(a) Telephone call.
(b) Face-to-face conversation.
5. What gift does Mary Ann receive as her welcome gift?
(a) A plant.
(d) A marijuana cigarette.
6. Who is Mary Ann's boss?
(a) Edgar Halcyon.
(b) Mona Ramsey.
(d) Mrs. Madrigal.
7. What does Edgar learn when he returns home from Mrs. Miller's?
(a) Frannie believes he is depressed.
(b) Frannie plans on hosting a party.
(c) Frannie plans on getting a job.
(d) Frannie thinks he has an affair.
8. What does Mrs. Madrigal say she acquired by growing up in a whorehouse?
(a) Love of sex.
9. During his argument with DeDe, what does Beauchamp say he was doing with Mary Ann?
(a) Having lunch with her.
(b) Asking her about a gift for DeDe.
(c) Taking a walk with her.
(d) Working on an ad campaign with her.
10. What does Brian talk about with Hillary before she invites him to her room?
(a) Slavery and cooking.
(b) Socialism and communism.
(c) Politics and sports.
(d) Vegetarianism and activism.
11. Why does Frannie become upset at her party and lock herself in the bathroom?
(a) DeDe and Beauchamp have a loud argument.
(b) The conductor disappears.
(c) The food is terrible.
(d) Edgar brings Mrs. Madrigal as his date.
12. Edgar thinks that Mrs. Madrigal __________ his pain.
(b) Feels threatened by.
13. During which decade is the story set?
14. What does Mary Ann see in Mrs. Madrigal's bedroom?
(a) A wedding ring.
(b) A painting of a young man.
(c) A wedding album.
(d) A photograph of a soldier.
15. When Mona tells Mary Ann that she has to make things work, what does she give her?
(a) An address.
(b) A joint.
(c) A phone number.
(d) A scarf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary Ann consider moving back to Cleveland?
2. Why does DeDe visit Mary Ann at Barbary Lane?
3. Who visits Mary Ann after her dinner with Mrs. Madrigal, offering to fix something?
4. What does DeDe do when she returns home from talking with Mary Ann?
5. How is Beauchamp related to Edgar Halcyon?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)