|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
2. Why does Dencombe feel this way?
3. How does James describe the Countess?
4. Where is the telegraph office located in ''In the Cage'?
5. What happens to Dencombe before he can tell Dr. Hugh that he is a writer?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Henry James' views about social class, as represented in his stories. Is he someone who believes in the value of class, or does he seem to believe that every human being is inherently equal?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the critical commentary for one of the stories. Which commentator seems to provide the most helpful insight into the story? How do you explain the other commentators' interest? What remains to be explained after these different commentaries?
Essay Topic 3
What are the rules that govern James' storytelling? What can you surmise from his essays and stories? Do his stories and his essays agree?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)