|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe the Countess?
2. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
3. What does Dencombe feel about his future?
4. What distracts Dencombe from his meditation on his own future?
5. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Henry James an American author?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
We always have to wonder whether writers in stories represent the author himself. How can we interpret James' views about creativity based on what he says about the characters who are creative in his stories? Do James' characters advance a coherent theory of creativity and its importance in a culture?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)