|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did people think fiction should do, according to Henry James?
2. Where does John Marcher work?
3. What does the main character think Captain Everard thinks about her?
4. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
5. How does Dr. Hugh create a reason to meet Dencombe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
2. Who is Dr. Hugh?
3. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
4. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
5. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
6. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
7. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
8. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
9. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
10. What is the significance of the title of this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James is occasionally very specific about the season in which his stories are set. What is the literal or symbolic importance of the seasons and nature in James' stories?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Henry James an American author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Henry James' feelings about the friendship and possible homosexual relationship between men. How does he characterize this relationship, and what is its status compared with other kinds of relationships and friendships?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)