|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Spencer Brydon acquire a second house?
2. Who is May Bartram?
3. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
4. In what month is 'The Beast in the Jungle' set?
5. What does James say is more important than genius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
2. What is the significance of the title of this story?
3. What is the significance of the setting in 'The Middle Years'?
4. What rules does James lay out for writing?
5. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
6. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
7. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
8. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
9. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
10. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James is occasionally very specific about the season in which his stories are set. What is the literal or symbolic importance of the seasons and nature in James' stories?
Essay Topic 2
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)