|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
2. What is the young man, whom Dencombe sees approaching, doing?
3. What does the main character plan to do, when she is disappointed by Captain Everard?
4. With whom does the main character become infatuated?
5. How do the editors characterize James' view on short stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dr. Hugh?
2. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
3. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
4. What is the telegraph operator's fiancée asking her to do?
5. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
6. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
7. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
8. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
9. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
10. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which critical insight do you find most useful to understanding Henry James' work? Make an argument for one critical view of his stories. Tell why other critics were not as useful to your view of James.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the critical commentary for one of the stories. Which commentator seems to provide the most helpful insight into the story? How do you explain the other commentators' interest? What remains to be explained after these different commentaries?
Essay Topic 3
Money is an issue for many of the characters in James' stories. Where does money come from, and who produces it? Which, if any, characters, have earned their freedom by making money themselves, and what kind of freedom do the other characters come by or struggle to attain?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)