|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distracts Dencombe from his meditation on his own future?
2. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
3. What does Dencombe expect when he opens the package he has received?
4. What has Dencombe just received as 'The Middle Years' opens?
5. Why do the editors say James' essays on criticism are inconsistent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
2. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
3. What is the telegraph operator's fiancée asking her to do?
4. Who is Dr. Hugh?
5. What rules does James lay out for writing?
6. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
7. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
8. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
9. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
10. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)