|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
2. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
3. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
4. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
5. Why do the editors say James' essays on criticism are inconsistent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
2. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
3. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
4. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
5. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
6. What is the significance of the title of this story?
7. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
8. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
9. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
10. What rules does James lay out for writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James' stories sometimes delve into hidden psychological motives and urges. How does James represent things that cannot be seen or felt, but are real to the characters? Does he use symbolism, personification, fantasy, metaphor? What other methods does he use to present the uncanny self inside the self?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Henry James an American author?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)