|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
2. Who relies on the main character for support?
3. What was terrible about the event John Marcher waited for?
4. With whom does the main character become infatuated?
5. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
2. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
3. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
4. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
5. What is the significance of the title?
6. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
7. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
8. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
9. Describe the meeting of Captain Everard and the telegraph operator.
10. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Henry James an American author?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)