|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe the Countess?
2. What does the main character do to help Lady Bradeen?
3. What does Dencombe expect when he opens the package he has received?
4. What does Dencombe say about his best books?
5. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
2. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
3. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
4. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
5. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
6. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
7. Who is Dr. Hugh?
8. What is the telegraph operator's fiancée asking her to do?
9. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
10. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the critical commentary for one of the stories. Which commentator seems to provide the most helpful insight into the story? How do you explain the other commentators' interest? What remains to be explained after these different commentaries?
Essay Topic 2
James' stories sometimes delve into hidden psychological motives and urges. How does James represent things that cannot be seen or felt, but are real to the characters? Does he use symbolism, personification, fantasy, metaphor? What other methods does he use to present the uncanny self inside the self?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Henry James an American author?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)