|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe May Bartram's physical appearance?
2. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
3. What inducement does the fiancee offer the main character?
4. Where does John Marcher work?
5. What is the young man, whom Dencombe sees approaching, doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
2. What is the significance of the title?
3. What is the significance of the title of this story?
4. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
5. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
6. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
7. Describe the meeting of Captain Everard and the telegraph operator.
8. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
9. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
10. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What are the rules that govern James' storytelling? What can you surmise from his essays and stories? Do his stories and his essays agree?
Essay Topic 3
James is occasionally very specific about the season in which his stories are set. What is the literal or symbolic importance of the seasons and nature in James' stories?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)