|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the main character and Captain Everard run into each other?
2. What was terrible about the event John Marcher waited for?
3. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
4. What did the old superstition say about fiction?
5. Why does John Marcher think he was invited along?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
2. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
3. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
4. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
5. What rules does James lay out for writing?
6. What is the significance of the setting in 'The Middle Years'?
7. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
8. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
9. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
10. Who is Dr. Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)