|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
2. Why does James say John Marcher lives like this?
3. How do the editors characterize James' view on short stories?
4. What assurance does Dr. Hugh give Dencombe?
5. What do Dencombe and Dr. Hugh assume about each other before they have met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
2. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
3. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
4. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
5. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
6. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
7. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
8. Describe the meeting of Captain Everard and the telegraph operator.
9. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
10. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is James' outlook tragic or comic? Is it realistic or pragmatic? Make an argument for the overall tone of James' stories.
Essay Topic 2
James is occasionally very specific about the season in which his stories are set. What is the literal or symbolic importance of the seasons and nature in James' stories?
Essay Topic 3
Money is an issue for many of the characters in James' stories. Where does money come from, and who produces it? Which, if any, characters, have earned their freedom by making money themselves, and what kind of freedom do the other characters come by or struggle to attain?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)