|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dencombe feel about his writing career?
2. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
3. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
4. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
5. What do Dencombe and Dr. Hugh assume about each other before they have met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rules does James lay out for writing?
2. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
3. What is the significance of the title of this story?
4. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
5. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
6. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
7. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
8. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
9. Describe the meeting of Captain Everard and the telegraph operator.
10. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the rules that govern James' storytelling? What can you surmise from his essays and stories? Do his stories and his essays agree?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)