Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
2. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
3. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
4. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
5. Who relies on the main character for support?
Essay Topic 1
James' stories sometimes delve into hidden psychological motives and urges. How does James represent things that cannot be seen or felt, but are real to the characters? Does he use symbolism, personification, fantasy, metaphor? What other methods does he use to present the uncanny self inside the self?
Essay Topic 2
Money is an issue for many of the characters in James' stories. Where does money come from, and who produces it? Which, if any, characters, have earned their freedom by making money themselves, and what kind of freedom do the other characters come by or struggle to attain?
Essay Topic 3
Many of James' relationships are platonic friendships. What do you think is the value of marriage in these stories, and do you think that James is somehow proposing that a different kind of relationship has a higher value than marriage?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)