|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
2. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
3. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
4. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
5. Who relies on the main character for support?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the critical commentary for one of the stories. Which commentator seems to provide the most helpful insight into the story? How do you explain the other commentators' interest? What remains to be explained after these different commentaries?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)