|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
2. What kind of people are the Monarchs, according to the main character?
3. What does Winterbourne realize with a shock, about Daisy Miller?
4. What is the publisher's relationship with Julianne Bordereau?
5. The Monarchs ask the main character for ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
2. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
3. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
4. Describe Mr. Oliver Offord's salons.
5. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
6. How effective is the unnamed publisher at getting the Aspern papers?
7. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
8. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
9. What effect do the Monarchs have on the illustrator's art?
10. What is the narrator's interest in Brooksmith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
James is occasionally very specific about the season in which his stories are set. What is the literal or symbolic importance of the seasons and nature in James' stories?
Essay Topic 3
Many of James' relationships are platonic friendships. What do you think is the value of marriage in these stories, and do you think that James is somehow proposing that a different kind of relationship has a higher value than marriage?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)