|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
2. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
3. How does Morgan die?
4. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
5. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
2. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
3. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
4. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
5. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
6. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
7. Describe Mr. Oliver Offord's salons.
8. What is the narrator's interest in Brooksmith?
9. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
10. What feelings does the ending of 'The Aspern Papers' create in the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in James' stories? How are they distinguished from men? Are their roles distinct, or is there much overlap or ambiguity? What is the purpose or use of this interrelation?
Essay Topic 2
In 'The Real Thing' and other stories, James uses irony to evoke strong emotions and even feelings of surprise in the reader. Describe two different uses of irony in James' stories. Analyze the emotions created in the reader by the stories.
Essay Topic 3
What are the rules that govern James' storytelling? What can you surmise from his essays and stories? Do his stories and his essays agree?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)