|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brooksmith work after his illness?
2. What does the narrator send to Brooksmith?
3. Who is Pemberton?
4. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
5. What kind of people are the Monarchs, according to the main character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
2. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
3. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
4. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
5. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
6. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
7. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
8. What is the publisher trying to obtain in 'The Aspern Papers'?
9. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
10. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is an issue for many of the characters in James' stories. Where does money come from, and who produces it? Which, if any, characters, have earned their freedom by making money themselves, and what kind of freedom do the other characters come by or struggle to attain?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)