|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize the relationship between Morgan and Pemberton?
2. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
3. What is the publisher's relationship with Julianne Bordereau?
4. How does the main character describe the Monarchs' intelligence?
5. What is the main character's response to this insistence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
2. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
3. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
4. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
5. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
6. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
7. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
8. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
9. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
10. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Henry James' feelings about the friendship and possible homosexual relationship between men. How does he characterize this relationship, and what is its status compared with other kinds of relationships and friendships?
Essay Topic 3
Is James' outlook tragic or comic? Is it realistic or pragmatic? Make an argument for the overall tone of James' stories.
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)