|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
2. What does Brooksmith enjoy about the gatherings at Mr. Offord's house?
3. What was the crowd like that came to Mr. Offord's house?
4. What is Oronte's relationship with the main character?
5. What effect have the Monarchs had on the main character's art, according to Jack Hawley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
2. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
3. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
4. What feelings does the ending of 'The Aspern Papers' create in the reader?
5. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
6. How does Winterbourne meet Daisy Miller?
7. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
8. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
9. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
10. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in James' stories? How are they distinguished from men? Are their roles distinct, or is there much overlap or ambiguity? What is the purpose or use of this interrelation?
Essay Topic 2
Is James' outlook tragic or comic? Is it realistic or pragmatic? Make an argument for the overall tone of James' stories.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the critical commentary for one of the stories. Which commentator seems to provide the most helpful insight into the story? How do you explain the other commentators' interest? What remains to be explained after these different commentaries?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)