Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
2. What changes for Mr. Offord?
3. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
4. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
5. Who is Morgan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
2. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
3. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
4. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
5. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
6. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
7. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
8. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
9. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
10. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
In 'The Real Thing' and other stories, James uses irony to evoke strong emotions and even feelings of surprise in the reader. Describe two different uses of irony in James' stories. Analyze the emotions created in the reader by the stories.
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)