|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winterbourne encounter Daisy Miller the second time?
2. How does James describe Brooksmith's personality?
3. Who is Morgan?
4. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
5. What is it that shocks Mrs. Walker about Daisy Miller's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
2. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
3. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
4. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
5. Describe Mr. Oliver Offord's salons.
6. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
7. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
8. What does 'The Real Thing' say about the nature of art?
9. Who is Pemberton? What is he hired to do?
10. How effective is the unnamed publisher at getting the Aspern papers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which critical insight do you find most useful to understanding Henry James' work? Make an argument for one critical view of his stories. Tell why other critics were not as useful to your view of James.
Essay Topic 2
What makes Henry James an American author?
Essay Topic 3
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)