|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
2. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
3. Who chooses which visitors to admit to Mr. Offord's house?
4. What is the Monarchs' reaction when the main character chooses Oronte and Miss Churm for the refined characters in the illustrations?
5. What does Winterbourne realize with a shock, about Daisy Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
2. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
3. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
4. What is the publisher trying to obtain in 'The Aspern Papers'?
5. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
6. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
7. What feelings does the ending of 'The Aspern Papers' create in the reader?
8. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
9. How does Winterbourne meet Daisy Miller?
10. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in James' stories? How are they distinguished from men? Are their roles distinct, or is there much overlap or ambiguity? What is the purpose or use of this interrelation?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Henry James an American author?
Essay Topic 3
We always have to wonder whether writers in stories represent the author himself. How can we interpret James' views about creativity based on what he says about the characters who are creative in his stories? Do James' characters advance a coherent theory of creativity and its importance in a culture?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)