Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
2. What changes for Mr. Offord?
3. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
4. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
5. Who is Morgan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
2. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
3. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
4. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
5. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
6. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
7. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
8. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
9. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
10. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
Essay Topic 1
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Henry James' views about social class, as represented in his stories. Is he someone who believes in the value of class, or does he seem to believe that every human being is inherently equal?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)