Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
2. What changes for Mr. Offord?
3. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
4. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
5. Who is Morgan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
2. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
3. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
4. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
5. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
6. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
7. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
8. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
9. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
10. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
Money is an issue for many of the characters in James' stories. Where does money come from, and who produces it? Which, if any, characters, have earned their freedom by making money themselves, and what kind of freedom do the other characters come by or struggle to attain?
Many of James' relationships are platonic friendships. What do you think is the value of marriage in these stories, and do you think that James is somehow proposing that a different kind of relationship has a higher value than marriage?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)