|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
2. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
3. Who is Pemberton?
4. Where is 'Daisy Miller' set?
5. Who chooses which visitors to admit to Mr. Offord's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does 'The Real Thing' say about the nature of art?
2. What effect do the Monarchs have on the illustrator's art?
3. How effective is the unnamed publisher at getting the Aspern papers?
4. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
5. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
6. How does Winterbourne meet Daisy Miller?
7. What is the Moreens' financial situation, and how does this affect Pemberton?
8. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
9. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
10. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Which critical insight do you find most useful to understanding Henry James' work? Make an argument for one critical view of his stories. Tell why other critics were not as useful to your view of James.
Essay Topic 3
Is James' outlook tragic or comic? Is it realistic or pragmatic? Make an argument for the overall tone of James' stories.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)