|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Monarchs ask the main character for ___________.
2. How does James characterize the Monarchs?
3. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
4. What is Miss Churm's relationship with the main character?
5. What is the publisher's rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
2. What does 'The Real Thing' say about the nature of art?
3. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
4. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
5. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
6. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
7. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
8. How effective is the unnamed publisher at getting the Aspern papers?
9. Who is Pemberton? What is he hired to do?
10. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of 'The Tales of Henry James.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What are the rules that govern James' storytelling? What can you surmise from his essays and stories? Do his stories and his essays agree?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Henry James' feelings about the friendship and possible homosexual relationship between men. How does he characterize this relationship, and what is its status compared with other kinds of relationships and friendships?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)