|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize the relationship between Mr. Offord and Brooksmith?
2. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
3. Where is Oronte from?
4. What do the Monarchs insist on in respect to the main character?
5. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
2. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
3. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
4. What is the narrator's interest in Brooksmith?
5. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
6. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
7. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
8. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
9. How does Winterbourne meet Daisy Miller?
10. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
We always have to wonder whether writers in stories represent the author himself. How can we interpret James' views about creativity based on what he says about the characters who are creative in his stories? Do James' characters advance a coherent theory of creativity and its importance in a culture?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of 'The Tales of Henry James.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)