|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chooses which visitors to admit to Mr. Offord's house?
2. The Monarchs ask the main character for ___________.
3. What was the crowd like that came to Mr. Offord's house?
4. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
5. Who is Pemberton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
2. What does 'The Real Thing' say about the nature of art?
3. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
4. What is the Moreens' financial situation, and how does this affect Pemberton?
5. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
6. Who is Pemberton? What is he hired to do?
7. What is it about Daisy Miller that is so shocking the Europeans, and certain Americans?
8. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
9. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
10. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of James' characters are weak or ineffectual young men. What virtues or strengths do these young men have, and do they compensate for their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)