|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
2. What changes for Mr. Offord?
3. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
4. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
5. Who is Morgan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
2. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
3. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
4. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
5. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
6. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
7. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
8. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
9. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
10. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
Essay Topic 1
Is James' outlook tragic or comic? Is it realistic or pragmatic? Make an argument for the overall tone of James' stories.
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Which critical insight do you find most useful to understanding Henry James' work? Make an argument for one critical view of his stories. Tell why other critics were not as useful to your view of James.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)