|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Churm's relationship with the main character?
2. What does the boy ask Winterbourne for in the garden?
3. What does Brooksmith enjoy about the gatherings at Mr. Offord's house?
4. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
5. How does James characterize Oronte and Miss Churm as models?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
2. Describe Mr. Oliver Offord's salons.
3. What is it about Daisy Miller that is so shocking the Europeans, and certain Americans?
4. How does Winterbourne meet Daisy Miller?
5. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
6. What is the publisher trying to obtain in 'The Aspern Papers'?
7. Who is Pemberton? What is he hired to do?
8. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
9. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
10. What is the significance of the illustrator's statement that he doesn't regret the experience of drawing the Monarchs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of 'The Tales of Henry James.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What are the rules that govern James' storytelling? What can you surmise from his essays and stories? Do his stories and his essays agree?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in James' stories? How are they distinguished from men? Are their roles distinct, or is there much overlap or ambiguity? What is the purpose or use of this interrelation?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)