|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the publisher not get the papers?
2. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
3. Who chooses which visitors to admit to Mr. Offord's house?
4. Who is Morgan?
5. What does Winterbourne realize with a shock, about Daisy Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
2. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
3. What feelings does the ending of 'The Aspern Papers' create in the reader?
4. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
5. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
6. What effect do the Monarchs have on the illustrator's art?
7. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
8. What is the Moreens' financial situation, and how does this affect Pemberton?
9. What does 'The Real Thing' say about the nature of art?
10. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Henry James' feelings about the friendship and possible homosexual relationship between men. How does he characterize this relationship, and what is its status compared with other kinds of relationships and friendships?
Essay Topic 2
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Money is an issue for many of the characters in James' stories. Where does money come from, and who produces it? Which, if any, characters, have earned their freedom by making money themselves, and what kind of freedom do the other characters come by or struggle to attain?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)