|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
2. What does Mr. Offord conduct in his home?
3. What is it that shocks Mrs. Walker about Daisy Miller's behavior?
4. What is the main character working on when the Monarchs come to see him?
5. How does James characterize the relationship between Morgan and Pemberton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
2. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
3. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
4. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
5. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
6. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
7. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
8. What is it about Daisy Miller that is so shocking the Europeans, and certain Americans?
9. What is the Moreens' financial situation, and how does this affect Pemberton?
10. What effect do the Monarchs have on the illustrator's art?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Henry James' views about social class, as represented in his stories. Is he someone who believes in the value of class, or does he seem to believe that every human being is inherently equal?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Henry James an American author?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)