|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
2. Who is the boy Winterbourne meets?
3. How does James describe Miss Churm?
4. How does James describe Brooksmith's personality?
5. How often does the narrator stop by Mr. Offord's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
2. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
3. What is the significance of the title?
4. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
5. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
6. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
7. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
8. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
9. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
10. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in James' stories? How are they distinguished from men? Are their roles distinct, or is there much overlap or ambiguity? What is the purpose or use of this interrelation?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)