|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes for Mr. Offord?
2. What does Pemberton neglect to ask Mrs. Moreen?
3. Who steers conversation at Mr. Offord's house?
4. What is the reason for the Monarchs' insistence?
5. How does James characterize the Moreens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
2. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
3. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
4. What is the narrator's interest in Brooksmith?
5. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
6. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
7. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
8. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
9. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
10. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Many of James' relationships are platonic friendships. What do you think is the value of marriage in these stories, and do you think that James is somehow proposing that a different kind of relationship has a higher value than marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Is James' outlook tragic or comic? Is it realistic or pragmatic? Make an argument for the overall tone of James' stories.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)