|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
2. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
3. Why has Winterbourne come to the place where he meets Daisy Miller?
4. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
5. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
2. What is the Moreens' financial situation, and how does this affect Pemberton?
3. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
4. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
5. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
6. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
7. What is the narrator's interest in Brooksmith?
8. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
9. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
10. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluation of 'The Tales of Henry James.' What is this book's place in our culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Henry James an American author?
Essay Topic 3
How does James' stories describe the difference between America and Europe? What does each civilization stand for? How are they distinguished? What kind of drama is created when they come into conflict?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)