|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the main character find out that Lady Bradeen's husband has discovered the affair with Captain Everard?
(a) By chance.
(b) By talking with Mrs. Jordan.
(c) By talking with Captain Everard.
(d) By talking with another telegraph operator.
2. Where does Dencombe feel he is in his life?
(a) Still developing toward his peak.
(b) At the end.
(c) In the beginning.
(d) Beyond the middle point.
3. What inducement does the fiancee offer the main character?
(a) Help with her housework.
(b) A more luxurious lifestyle.
(c) Undying affection.
(d) Savings on rent.
4. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
(b) Old lovers.
(c) Old friends.
5. Which was NOT one of Mr. Besant's general laws of fiction?
(a) The story should be psychologically true if not literally true.
(b) Stories should have a moral purpose.
(c) The author should write from experience.
(d) Characters must be lifelike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the content of the thing John Marcher told May Bartram?
2. How do the editors characterize James' view on short stories?
3. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
4. What is the young man, whom Dencombe sees approaching, doing?
5. Where does Spencer Brydon return to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
2. What rules does James lay out for writing?
3. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
4. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
5. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
6. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
7. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
8. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
9. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
10. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)