|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's lifestyle all these years?
2. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Intimidating and smart.
(b) Elegant and beautiful.
(c) Mousy and fragile.
(d) Savvy and manipulative.
3. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
(a) He is bored.
(b) He is thrilled.
(c) He is grateful.
(d) He is furious.
4. Why does John Marcher think he was invited along?
(a) He would talk to the old ladies.
(b) He looked so pitiable.
(c) He was so polite.
(d) He got lost in the crowd.
5. How does James describe the Countess?
(a) Fit and energetic.
(b) Mousy and retiring.
(c) Fragile and unhealthy-looking.
(d) Stout and middle-aged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John Marcher work?
2. To whom is the Munich engaged?
3. What does Dencombe feel about his future?
4. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
5. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rules does James lay out for writing?
2. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
3. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
4. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
5. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
6. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
7. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
8. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
9. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
10. What is the significance of the title?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)