|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spencer Brydon do with the second house he acquires?
(a) Renovates it to rent it.
(b) Installs his friends in it.
(c) Moves into it.
(d) Installs his mistress in it.
2. How old is Spencer Brydon?
(a) 71 years old.
(b) 56 years old.
(c) 67 years old.
(d) 46 years old.
3. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
(a) Move to the Chalk Farms neighborhood.
(b) Abandon her alcoholic mother.
(c) Move in with him before they are married.
(d) Give up her job and move to his apartment.
4. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
(a) He is enthusiastic by reserved.
(b) He praises it lavishly.
(c) He is profoundly personally moved.
(d) He is unrestrainedly critical.
5. What does Dencombe feel about his writing career?
(a) He still had good ideas he is anxious to explore.
(b) He has peaked.
(c) He does not have any good ideas left.
(d) His best work is still to come.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
2. What assurance does Dr. Hugh give Dencombe?
3. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's lifestyle all these years?
4. What does May Bartram tell John Marcher about his secret?
5. Where does Spencer Brydon return to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
2. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
3. What is the telegraph operator's fiancée asking her to do?
4. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
5. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
6. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
7. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
8. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
9. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
10. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)