|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disappointing news does the main character find out about Captain Everard?
(a) He is dying of tuberculosis.
(b) He has many mistresses.
(c) He is heavily in debt.
(d) He is generally regarded as a scoundrel.
2. What does May Bartram tell John Marcher about his secret?
(a) He had misinterpreted all the important signs.
(b) Everyone knew his secret.
(c) She had always known about his secret.
(d) The event he waited for has already happened.
3. James' critical language come from ___________.
4. What does James say a damsel in a small village can write about, if she is someone on whom nothing is lost?
(a) Faraway lands.
(c) Military life.
(d) Married life.
5. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Intimidating and smart.
(b) Savvy and manipulative.
(c) Elegant and beautiful.
(d) Mousy and fragile.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize the relationship between May Bartram and John Marcher?
2. Who is Miss Vernham?
3. What does the main character think Captain Everard thinks about her?
4. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
5. Why do the editors say James' essays on criticism are inconsistent?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)