|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Intimidating and smart.
(b) Elegant and beautiful.
(c) Savvy and manipulative.
(d) Mousy and fragile.
2. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
(a) He is profoundly personally moved.
(b) He praises it lavishly.
(c) He is unrestrainedly critical.
(d) He is enthusiastic by reserved.
3. How does James characterize the lifestyle John Marcher leads?
4. What disappointing news does the main character find out about Captain Everard?
(a) He is heavily in debt.
(b) He is dying of tuberculosis.
(c) He has many mistresses.
(d) He is generally regarded as a scoundrel.
5. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) He dies.
(c) He leaves her.
(d) He takes a lover of his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
2. What happens to Dencombe before he can tell Dr. Hugh that he is a writer?
3. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
4. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
5. How does James characterize the main character's fiancee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title?
2. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
3. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
4. What is the significance of the title of this story?
5. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
6. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
7. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
8. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
9. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
10. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)