|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize the relationship between May Bartram and John Marcher?
(a) John finds May interesting but pedestrian.
(b) May relies on John but does not love him.
(c) May is obviously in love with John.
(d) John is obviously in love with May.
2. What does Dencombe feel about his future?
(a) He is depressed about his narrowing prospects.
(b) He is apprehensive about his savings holding out.
(c) He expects to begin over again.
(d) He looks forward to critical appreciation for the book he is working on now.
3. Where does Dencombe feel he is in his life?
(a) In the beginning.
(b) Beyond the middle point.
(c) Still developing toward his peak.
(d) At the end.
4. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
5. What do Dencombe and Dr. Hugh assume about each other before they have met?
(a) They are writers.
(b) They are both invalids.
(c) They are book reviewers.
(d) They are avid readers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
2. How does the telegraph operator help Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
3. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
4. What does Dencombe say about his best books?
5. What inducement does the fiancee offer the main character?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)