|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
(a) Alert and educated.
(b) Shabby but intimidating.
(c) Mousy and young.
(d) Middle-aged and energetic.
2. In what location is 'The Middle Years' set?
(a) A health resort.
(b) A country house.
(c) A private estate.
(d) A luxury spa.
3. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
(a) A copy of his first book for Dencombe to sign.
(c) Jewelry from the Countess.
(d) A favorable review in a literary journal.
4. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's lifestyle all these years?
5. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
(a) He takes a lover of his own.
(b) He leaves her.
(c) He dies.
(d) He falls ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
2. How does James characterize the main character's feelings for her fiancee?
3. How old is Spencer Brydon?
4. What happens to Dencombe before he can tell Dr. Hugh that he is a writer?
5. What is John Marcher there to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of this story?
2. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
3. What is the significance of the title?
4. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
5. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
6. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
7. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
8. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
9. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
10. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)