|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James say is more important than genius?
2. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
(a) She likes being close to the upper class.
(b) It would not be respectable to move to his neighborhood.
(c) He cannot support her mother as well as her.
(d) She is anxious to leave her job.
3. To whom is the Munich engaged?
(a) Mr. Mudge.
(b) Captain Everard.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) Mr. Bradeen.
4. How does James characterize the relationship between May Bartram and John Marcher?
(a) John is obviously in love with May.
(b) John finds May interesting but pedestrian.
(c) May is obviously in love with John.
(d) May relies on John but does not love him.
5. What does James say fiction must be, above all?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the main character stroll past on her way home?
2. What does Eve Sedgwick suggest was John Marcher's real secret?
3. Where does Dencombe feel he is in his life?
4. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
5. Why does Lady Bradeen stop using the main character's telegraph office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
2. Describe the meeting of Captain Everard and the telegraph operator.
3. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
4. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
5. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
6. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
7. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
8. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
9. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
10. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)