|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dencombe feel about his future?
(a) He is depressed about his narrowing prospects.
(b) He looks forward to critical appreciation for the book he is working on now.
(c) He is apprehensive about his savings holding out.
(d) He expects to begin over again.
2. How does the main character find out that Lady Bradeen's husband has discovered the affair with Captain Everard?
(a) By talking with Mrs. Jordan.
(b) By chance.
(c) By talking with another telegraph operator.
(d) By talking with Captain Everard.
3. Where does John Marcher meet May Bartram?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In London.
(c) Touring a country house.
(d) During a theatre performance.
4. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
(a) Real conflicts.
5. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long has Spencer Brydon been living in Europe at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
2. Whose life does John Marcher think his life should have resembled?
3. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
4. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
5. What distracts Dencombe from his meditation on his own future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the setting in 'The Middle Years'?
2. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
3. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
4. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
5. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
6. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
7. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
8. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
9. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
10. What is the significance of the title?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)