|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Marcher realize he should have done?
(a) Taken May Bartram for a mistress.
(b) Moved in with May Bartram.
(c) Fallen in love with May Bartram.
(d) Let May Bartram teach him about philanthropy.
2. What has Dencombe just received as 'The Middle Years' opens?
(a) A letter from his wife.
(b) His most recent book.
(c) A check.
(d) Notice of a friend's death.
3. How does James characterize the main character's feelings for her fiancee?
4. What was the content of the thing John Marcher told May Bartram?
(a) His bankruptcy.
(b) His love for her.
(c) His faith that something tremendous was going to happen to him.
(d) His homosexuality.
5. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
(c) Real conflicts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dencombe find when he reads his new book?
2. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
3. How does James characterize the main character's fiancee?
4. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
5. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
2. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
3. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
4. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
5. What rules does James lay out for writing?
6. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
7. What is the significance of the title of this story?
8. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
9. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
10. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)