|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
(a) He leaves her.
(b) He falls ill.
(c) He dies.
(d) He takes a lover of his own.
2. What is clear to the reader and to Captain Everard, but not to the main character?
(a) Lady Bradeen's husband is finding out about his wife's affair.
(b) Captain Everard is fascinated with the main character.
(c) Captain Everard is getting bored with Lady Bradeen.
(d) Captain Everard does not return her affection.
3. In what month is 'The Beast in the Jungle' set?
4. What does Dencombe say about his best books?
(a) They were his first.
(b) They have not been written yet.
(c) They are his last two books.
(d) He will never write them.
5. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
(a) To pay more attention to the Countess.
(b) To leave Dr. Hugh alone.
(c) To take care of his own health.
(d) To tend to his health not his writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
2. In what location is 'The Middle Years' set?
3. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
4. What does James say fiction must be, above all?
5. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
2. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
3. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
4. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
5. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
6. What is the significance of the title of this story?
7. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
8. Describe the meeting of Captain Everard and the telegraph operator.
9. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
10. What is the significance of the setting in 'The Middle Years'?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)