|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dencombe expect when he opens the package he has received?
(a) To get a dire diagnosis for his health.
(b) To see the flaws in his book.
(c) To find that the check was for less than he expected.
(d) To be proud of his book.
2. What is the young man, whom Dencombe sees approaching, doing?
(a) Reading one of his books.
(b) Reading a letter.
(c) Reading a critical review of his book.
(d) Discoursing to the young girl.
3. What does James say fiction must be, above all?
4. What is John Marcher there to see?
(a) His lover.
(b) Wild animals.
(c) Antiques and artistic treasures.
(d) Society women.
5. What is clear to the reader and to Captain Everard, but not to the main character?
(a) Captain Everard is getting bored with Lady Bradeen.
(b) Captain Everard does not return her affection.
(c) Lady Bradeen's husband is finding out about his wife's affair.
(d) Captain Everard is fascinated with the main character.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the editors characterize James' view on short stories?
2. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
3. James' critical language come from ___________.
4. With whom does the main character become infatuated?
5. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
2. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
3. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
4. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
5. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
6. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
7. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
8. What is the significance of the title?
9. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
10. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)