|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who relies on the main character for support?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her fiancee.
(d) Her father.
2. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) He is repulsed by it.
(b) He finds it charming.
(c) He is appalled by the changes.
(d) He is fascinated by how it has not changed.
3. How does James characterize the relationship between May Bartram and John Marcher?
(a) May is obviously in love with John.
(b) May relies on John but does not love him.
(c) John finds May interesting but pedestrian.
(d) John is obviously in love with May.
4. Where do the main character and Captain Everard run into each other?
(a) In the grocery.
(b) At the theatre.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In the park.
5. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
(a) Miss Staverton's lover's.
(b) Spencer Brydon's business partner's.
(c) Miss Staverton's family's house.
(d) Spencer Brydon's family's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
2. How does James describe the Countess?
3. What does May Bartram tell John Marcher about his secret?
4. How does James characterize the neighborhood where the telegraph office is located?
5. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
2. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
3. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
4. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
5. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
6. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
7. What is Marcher's realization at the end of 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
8. How does Spencer Brydon react to the changes that took place in New York over the last 33 years?
9. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
10. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)