Final Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
(a) It has to redefine the forms of all novels that came before it.
(b) It has to make new insights into the nature of human consciousness.
(c) It has to prove a moral or teach a lesson.
(d) It has to be rich with possibilities.
2. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
(a) 7 or 10 years.
(b) A month.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 4 years.
3. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
(a) He praises it lavishly.
(b) He is unrestrainedly critical.
(c) He is enthusiastic by reserved.
(d) He is profoundly personally moved.
4. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
(a) Mousy and young.
(b) Middle-aged and energetic.
(c) Alert and educated.
(d) Shabby but intimidating.
5. Who relies on the main character for support?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her fiancee.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize the main character's fiancee?
2. Why do the editors say James' essays on criticism are inconsistent?
3. How does James describe May Bartram's physical appearance?
4. Why does John Marcher think he was invited along?
5. How does James characterize John Marcher's social life?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)