|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) In a newspaper office.
(b) In a publishing house.
(c) In a government office.
(d) He is an artist.
2. What does Dencombe find when he reads his new book?
(a) He despairs.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He cannot pay attention to it.
3. How old is Spencer Brydon?
(a) 67 years old.
(b) 71 years old.
(c) 56 years old.
(d) 46 years old.
4. Who is the main character?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A Countess.
(c) A telegraph operator.
(d) A factory girl.
5. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's lifestyle all these years?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the content of the thing John Marcher told May Bartram?
2. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
3. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
4. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
5. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
2. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
3. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
4. What rules does James lay out for writing?
5. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
6. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
7. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
8. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
9. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
10. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)