|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) In a publishing house.
(b) In a newspaper office.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) In a government office.
2. Why does John Marcher think he was invited along?
(a) He was so polite.
(b) He would talk to the old ladies.
(c) He got lost in the crowd.
(d) He looked so pitiable.
3. What do Dencombe and Dr. Hugh assume about each other before they have met?
(a) They are book reviewers.
(b) They are avid readers.
(c) They are both invalids.
(d) They are writers.
4. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
(a) A great secret.
(b) He declared his love to her.
(c) His professional ambitions.
(d) His crumbling financial situation.
5. What does John Marcher realize he should have done?
(a) Taken May Bartram for a mistress.
(b) Fallen in love with May Bartram.
(c) Moved in with May Bartram.
(d) Let May Bartram teach him about philanthropy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what location is 'The Middle Years' set?
2. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
3. What assurance does Dr. Hugh give Dencombe?
4. How does Dr. Hugh create a reason to meet Dencombe?
5. How does James characterize the lifestyle John Marcher leads?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)