|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Spencer Brydon return to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(d) New York.
2. What does the main character think Captain Everard thinks about her?
(a) He wants to help her, but cannot break convention to do so.
(b) He resents her intrusion into his affair, but can't acknowledge the affair.
(c) He is grateful to her for her help, but cannot acknowledge it.
(d) He loves her but does not want to show it.
3. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Intimidating and smart.
(b) Mousy and fragile.
(c) Elegant and beautiful.
(d) Savvy and manipulative.
4. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
5. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
(a) Miss Staverton's lover's.
(b) Spencer Brydon's business partner's.
(c) Spencer Brydon's family's house.
(d) Miss Staverton's family's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disappointing news does the main character find out about Captain Everard?
2. Where is the telegraph office located in ''In the Cage'?
3. What does Dencombe say about his best books?
4. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
5. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcher realize when May Bartram dies?
2. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
3. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
4. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
5. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
6. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
7. What is the telegraph operator's fiancée asking her to do?
8. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
9. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
10. What is the irony in the secret Marcher has been keeping all these years?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)