|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what location is 'The Middle Years' set?
(a) A country house.
(b) A luxury spa.
(c) A health resort.
(d) A private estate.
2. In what month is 'The Beast in the Jungle' set?
3. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Mousy and fragile.
(b) Intimidating and smart.
(c) Elegant and beautiful.
(d) Savvy and manipulative.
4. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's lifestyle all these years?
5. Where do the main character and Captain Everard run into each other?
(a) In the park.
(b) In the grocery.
(c) At the theatre.
(d) In a hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
2. What is clear to the reader and to Captain Everard, but not to the main character?
3. How does Spencer Brydon acquire a second house?
4. Who is the main character?
5. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
2. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
3. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
4. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
5. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
6. What part does the telegraph operator play in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
7. What is the significance of the title?
8. Who is Dr. Hugh?
9. What is the telegraph operator's fiancée asking her to do?
10. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)