|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main character do to help Lady Bradeen?
(a) Saves her money.
(b) Corrects an error in her telegram.
(c) Protects her reputation.
(d) Warns her about her husband's visit.
2. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
3. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) He is appalled by the changes.
(b) He is repulsed by it.
(c) He finds it charming.
(d) He is fascinated by how it has not changed.
4. Why does Dencombe feel this way?
(a) This is his first book.
(b) He did not expect this money to come to him.
(c) His previous books were not well received, and he does not expect this one to be either.
(d) He has published so many novels, he has gone through this before.
5. What does Spencer Brydon do with the second house he acquires?
(a) Installs his friends in it.
(b) Installs his mistress in it.
(c) Moves into it.
(d) Renovates it to rent it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was terrible about the event John Marcher waited for?
2. How does James characterize the main character's fiancee?
3. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
4. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
5. How does the main character find out that Lady Bradeen's husband has discovered the affair with Captain Everard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the setting in 'The Middle Years'?
2. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
3. Who is the main character of 'In the Cage,' and what is he dilemma?
4. Where is 'In the Cage' set?
5. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
6. Describe the relationship between Marcher and Bartram.
7. What happens to bring May Bartram and John Marcher into closer friendship?
8. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
9. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
10. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)