|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize Mr. and Mrs. Monarch?
2. Who steers conversation at Mr. Offord's house?
(a) The narrator.
(b) The guests steer it among themselves.
(d) Mr. Offord.
3. What kind of people are the Monarchs, according to the main character?
(a) People who visit country houses.
(b) People who keep a lot of pets.
(c) People who think they are buying artists, not paintings.
(d) People who go to the opera to listen to the music.
4. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Aspern's wife.
(b) Aspern's aunt.
(c) Miss Tita's niece.
(d) Aspern's lover.
5. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main character working on when the Monarchs come to see him?
2. What outcome is the main character hoping his work will bring?
3. What is Brooksmith's reaction to Mr. Offord's death?
4. What is Brooksmith's role at Mr. Offord's gatherings?
5. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
2. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
3. What is the Moreens' financial situation, and how does this affect Pemberton?
4. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
5. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
6. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
7. Describe Mr. Oliver Offord's salons.
8. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
9. What is the publisher trying to obtain in 'The Aspern Papers'?
10. What is it about Daisy Miller that is so shocking the Europeans, and certain Americans?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)