Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that shocks Mrs. Walker about Daisy Miller's behavior?
(a) She goes out alone.
(b) She drinks.
(c) She smokes cigarettes.
(d) She walks with men in the street.
2. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
(a) They are coming to model for him.
(b) They have come to buy paintings.
(c) They will commission portraits.
(d) They are looking for their daughter.
3. How does James characterize the relationship between Morgan and Pemberton?
4. What does Daisy Miller do that gives people the idea that she and Mr. Giovanelli are engaged?
(a) Kisses him publicly.
(b) Visits his house.
(c) Spends time with him alone.
(d) Wears jewelry he gives her.
5. What does Winterbourne realize with a shock, about Daisy Miller?
(a) She is already secretly married.
(b) She is too innocent for her own good.
(c) She is not a respectable woman.
(d) She is already sleeping with Mr. Giovanelli.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the Monarchs' insistence?
2. What does Mr. Offord conduct in his home?
3. What is the main character's response to this insistence?
4. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
5. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
2. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
3. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
4. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
5. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
6. Where had John Marcher and May Bartram met previously, and what had happened then?
7. Describe Dencombe's feelings about his own work.
8. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
9. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
10. Under what conditions does Spencer Brydon meet Miss Staverton again?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)