|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Moreen hold in her hands while she makes her offer to Pemberton?
(a) Her son.
(b) A checkbook.
(c) A pair of soiled gloves.
(d) Her hat.
2. Where is Oronte from?
3. What does Morgan urge Pemberton to do?
(a) Walk out of the Moreens' house.
(b) Take a highly-paid job with another family.
(c) Stay with him no matter the cost.
(d) Adopt him and raise him as his son.
4. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
(a) He will get paid retroactively if the Moreens make money.
(b) He will be boarded and clothed for free as well.
(c) Morgan will know that he is working for nothing.
(d) Morgan will not be told that he is working for nothing.
5. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Tend to the garden himself.
(b) Bring flowers to Miss Tita.
(c) Build a terrace in the garden.
(d) Hire someone to tend the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
2. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
3. How does James characterize Oronte and Miss Churm as models?
4. What does the publisher believe is the reason for Julianne Bordereau wearing a certain accessory in his presence?
5. Why does the publisher not get the papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How effective is the unnamed publisher at getting the Aspern papers?
2. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
3. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
4. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
5. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
6. What feelings does the ending of 'The Aspern Papers' create in the reader?
7. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
8. What is it about Daisy Miller that is so shocking the Europeans, and certain Americans?
9. Who are Major and Mrs. Monarch?
10. Who are Miss Churm and Oronte?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)