|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
(a) He doesn't regret it.
(b) He is profoundly sorry he cannot help them.
(c) He wishes they had never come.
(d) He resents them for corrupting his art.
2. How does James describe Brooksmith's personality?
3. What is it that requires Mr. Oliver Offord to stay home?
(a) His ailing mother.
(b) His responsibilities.
(c) His bad leg.
(d) His health.
4. Where is 'Daisy Miller' set?
(a) Berlin, Germany.
(b) London, England.
(c) Vevey, Switzerland.
(d) Paris, France.
5. What do Oronte and Miss Churm do to assume different characters?
(a) Invent speeches for the characters.
(b) Change clothes.
(c) Begin speaking differently.
(d) Close their eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
2. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
3. How does James describe Pemberton?
4. What was the crowd like that came to Mr. Offord's house?
5. How does James characterize Mr. and Mrs. Monarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tragedy of 'The Middle Years'?
2. What is unique about the narration of 'In the Cage'?
3. What did James study before he took to writing, and how did this influence his writing?
4. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
5. Where do John Marcher and May Bartram meet in 'The Beast in the Jungle'?
6. How does Winterbourne meet Daisy Miller?
7. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
8. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
9. What is it about Daisy Miller that is so shocking the Europeans, and certain Americans?
10. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)