|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
(a) They are looking for their daughter.
(b) They have come to buy paintings.
(c) They will commission portraits.
(d) They are coming to model for him.
2. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) An emerald necklace.
(b) A head wrap.
(c) A green eye shade.
(d) An ostrich-feather hat.
3. Where is Oronte from?
4. What is the main character's response to this insistence?
(a) He dismisses them.
(b) He agrees.
(c) He argues with them.
(d) He listens without responding.
5. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
(c) High society.
(d) Art and ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize Oronte and Miss Churm as models?
2. What does Mr. Offord leave to Brooksmith when he dies?
3. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
4. What outcome is the main character hoping his work will bring?
5. What is Oronte's relationship with the main character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does 'The Real Thing' say about the nature of art?
2. What effect do the Monarchs have on the illustrator's art?
3. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
4. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
5. Describe Mr. Oliver Offord's salons.
6. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
7. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
8. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
9. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
10. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)