|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Monarchs ask the main character for ___________.
(a) Referrals to a painter.
(c) Work as models.
(d) Paintings to buy.
2. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Tend to the garden himself.
(b) Bring flowers to Miss Tita.
(c) Build a terrace in the garden.
(d) Hire someone to tend the garden.
3. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
(a) They are looking for their daughter.
(b) They will commission portraits.
(c) They are coming to model for him.
(d) They have come to buy paintings.
4. Where does the narrator think Brooksmith is now?
(a) Hobnobbing in London.
(b) Playing horses in America.
(d) Waiting table for the gods.
5. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
(c) High society.
(d) Art and ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morgan urge Pemberton to do?
2. Where does Brooksmith go after his mother dies?
3. How does James characterize the relationship between Mr. Offord and Brooksmith?
4. Who is Mr. Giovanelli?
5. What does Mr. Offord leave to Brooksmith when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
2. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
3. Describe the conditions under which Morgan dies.
4. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
5. What does 'The Real Thing' say about the nature of art?
6. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
7. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
8. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
9. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
10. Who is Pemberton? What is he hired to do?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)