|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator send to Brooksmith?
(a) A doctor.
2. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
(a) He will be boarded and clothed for free as well.
(b) He will get paid retroactively if the Moreens make money.
(c) Morgan will know that he is working for nothing.
(d) Morgan will not be told that he is working for nothing.
3. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
4. What do the Monarchs insist on in respect to the main character?
(a) He should help them present an illusion of wealth.
(b) He should sell them all of his work.
(c) They will be excellent models for him.
(d) He should paint their portraits for a low price.
5. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 100 francs.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the main character describe the Monarchs' intelligence?
2. What was Julianne Bordereau's response to the publisher's initial request?
3. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
4. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
5. Who summons the narrator to Brooksmith's bedside when Brooksmith falls ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
2. What is the first surprise we find out about Major and Mrs. Monarch?
3. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
4. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
5. What effect do the Monarchs have on the illustrator's art?
6. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
7. Where does the narrator believe Brooksmith has gone?
8. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
9. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
10. What is the relationship between Pemberton and Morgan?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)