|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of Daisy Miller's death?
(d) Scarlet fever.
2. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
(a) He will be boarded and clothed for free as well.
(b) Morgan will know that he is working for nothing.
(c) He will get paid retroactively if the Moreens make money.
(d) Morgan will not be told that he is working for nothing.
3. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
(a) He did not last long in any of them.
(b) He found himself at home.
(c) He had a hard time adjusting, but ultimately resigned himself.
(d) He stayed permanently at the first place he could find.
4. Who is Jeffrey Aspern?
(a) A renowned poet.
(b) A publisher.
(c) A painter.
(d) A clerk.
5. Who is Mr. Giovanelli?
(a) A salesman.
(b) A street urchin.
(c) A con man.
(d) An Italian lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
2. What kind of people are the Monarchs, according to the main character?
3. What is it that shocks Mrs. Walker about Daisy Miller's behavior?
4. What is the Monarchs' reaction when the main character chooses Oronte and Miss Churm for the refined characters in the illustrations?
5. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pemberton? What is he hired to do?
2. Describe Spencer Brydon's encounter with his alter ego.
3. Describe the meeting between Dencombe and Dr. Hugh.
4. What happens in the affair between Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
5. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
6. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
7. What does Dencombe realize in the end of 'The Middle Years'?
8. How does James address the superstition that fiction is diabolical?
9. What is the significance of the title of this story?
10. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)