|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
(a) They are the only interesting figures in the pictures.
(b) They drain life from the pictures.
(c) They bring life to the pictures.
(d) They dominate the others.
2. What is the publisher's relationship with Julianne Bordereau?
(a) He rents a room from her.
(b) He seduces her.
(c) He rents her a room.
(d) Her publishes her biography.
3. What is the Monarchs' reaction when the main character chooses Oronte and Miss Churm for the refined characters in the illustrations?
(a) They are depressed.
(b) They are outraged.
(c) They are disbelieving.
(d) They are shocked.
4. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A patron of the arts.
(c) An illustrator.
(d) A model.
5. How does James describe Pemberton?
(a) Brilliant and curious.
(b) Outgoing and gregarious.
(c) Weak and ineffectual.
(d) Sophisticated and smart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
2. Why has Winterbourne come to the place where he meets Daisy Miller?
3. The Monarchs ask the main character for ___________.
4. How does James characterize the relationship between Morgan and Pemberton?
5. How far is the publisher willing to go to get the Aspern papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marcher's lifestyle.
2. Who is Pemberton? What is he hired to do?
3. What effect does the affair of Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard have on the telegraph operator?
4. What is the significance of the title?
5. How does James address the formal rules prescribed for fiction?
6. What is the setting of 'Daisy Miller,' and why is this significant?
7. What is the difference between the doctor's relationship with Dencombe and his relationship with the Countess?
8. What do the Europeans believe will happen to Daisy Miller, and what is their knowledge founded in?
9. What is the telegraph operator's fiancée asking her to do?
10. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)