|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James describe Pemberton?
(a) Weak and ineffectual.
(b) Brilliant and curious.
(c) Sophisticated and smart.
(d) Outgoing and gregarious.
2. What does Mr. Offord conduct in his home?
(a) A salon.
(b) Business meetings.
(c) Political meetings.
(d) A reading club.
3. What does the boy ask Winterbourne for in the garden?
(c) A cube of sugar.
(d) A book.
4. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 1,000 francs.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 100 francs.
5. What is Brooksmith's role at Mr. Offord's gatherings?
(a) Hiding the affairs.
(b) Moderating discussion.
(c) Fixing drinks.
(d) Managing the servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
2. Where does Brooksmith work after his illness?
3. What is the main character's response to this insistence?
4. Where does the narrator think Brooksmith is now?
5. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about James' narrative perspective in 'Brooksmith'?
2. What is the irony in the title ''The Real Thing'?
3. What is the narrator's interest in Brooksmith?
4. What is Brooksmith's relationship with Mr. Oliver Offord?
5. What was 'Brooksmith' based on?
6. What prevents Mr. Oliver Offord's friends from hiring Brooksmith?
7. What happens to Brooksmith when Mr. Oliver Offord dies?
8. What is it about Daisy Miller that is so shocking the Europeans, and certain Americans?
9. What is James saying about aristocracy in 'The Real Thing'?
10. How does the publisher involve Miss Tita in his plot?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)