|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 7 or 10 years.
(d) A month.
2. Who is Miss Vernham?
(a) The Countess' niece.
(b) Dr. Hugh's lover.
(c) The Countess' paid companion.
(d) Dr. Hugh's assistant.
3. To whom is the Munich engaged?
(a) A school teacher.
(b) Captain Everard.
(c) Mr. Mudge.
(d) Mr. Bradeen.
4. Why does James say John Marcher lives like this?
(a) To avoid others detecting his secret.
(b) To remedy his guilt about inheriting his father's money.
(c) To search for the most suitable partner.
(d) To give himself time to make his secret less destructive in his life.
5. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
(a) He is profoundly personally moved.
(b) He is enthusiastic by reserved.
(c) He praises it lavishly.
(d) He is unrestrainedly critical.
6. How does James characterize the neighborhood where the telegraph office is located?
7. What disappointing news does the main character find out about Captain Everard?
(a) He is heavily in debt.
(b) He is generally regarded as a scoundrel.
(c) He is dying of tuberculosis.
(d) He has many mistresses.
8. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
(a) Old lovers.
(b) Old friends.
9. What does James say fiction must be, above all?
10. What dose Miss Staverton say Spencer Brydon would have done if he had returned years earlier?
(a) Worked himself to death.
(b) Made millions of dollars.
(c) Married her.
(d) Been miserable.
11. Why does Lady Bradeen stop using the main character's telegraph office?
(a) She is sure the main character has stolen from her.
(b) She suspects the main character of having a crush on Captain Everard.
(c) She understands that the main character is watching her.
(d) She moves away.
12. Who haunts the house on jolly corner?
(a) Spencer Brydon's love for Miss Staverton.
(b) The man Spencer Brydon could have been.
(c) Spencer Brydon's father.
(d) Spencer Brydon's former self.
13. How much time passes between May Bartram moving to London and her falling ill?
(a) Six months.
(b) Many years.
(c) A few years.
(d) A year.
14. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
(a) He had been looking in all the wrong places.
(b) He was mistaken about it from the start.
(c) It was never going to happen.
(d) He was not worthy of it.
15. What inducement does the fiancee offer the main character?
(a) Undying affection.
(b) Savings on rent.
(c) Help with her housework.
(d) A more luxurious lifestyle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did stories need to be in James' time?
2. Which was NOT one of Mr. Besant's general laws of fiction?
3. James' critical language come from ___________.
4. Where is the telegraph office located in ''In the Cage'?
5. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)