|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
(a) It would not be respectable to move to his neighborhood.
(b) She is anxious to leave her job.
(c) He cannot support her mother as well as her.
(d) She likes being close to the upper class.
2. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
(a) He was mistaken about it from the start.
(b) He was not worthy of it.
(c) It was never going to happen.
(d) He had been looking in all the wrong places.
3. What does Dencombe realize as he dies?
(a) People only get one chance.
(b) People die and get reborn all the time.
(c) Writers are already dead.
(d) Books only live forever if they have readers.
4. How does James characterize the main character's fiancee?
(a) Dashing but daft.
(b) Devious and disrespectable.
(c) Decent but dull.
(d) Diligent and devoted.
5. What does Dencombe find when he reads his new book?
(a) He cannot pay attention to it.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He despairs.
(d) He is impressed.
6. What does James say is more important than genius?
7. What does Dencombe feel about his writing career?
(a) He still had good ideas he is anxious to explore.
(b) He does not have any good ideas left.
(c) He has peaked.
(d) His best work is still to come.
8. What does the main character plan to do, when she is disappointed by Captain Everard?
(a) Expose the affair to Lady Bradeen's husband.
(b) Marry Mr. Mudge.
(c) Offer to work for Lady Bradeen.
(d) Break off with Mr. Mudge.
9. Where does the main character stroll past on her way home?
(a) Lady Braden's home.
(b) Mr. Mudge's flat.
(c) Mrs. Jordan's house.
(d) Captain Everard's apartment.
10. What does Dencombe expect when he opens the package he has received?
(a) To get a dire diagnosis for his health.
(b) To be proud of his book.
(c) To see the flaws in his book.
(d) To find that the check was for less than he expected.
11. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
(a) He is bored.
(b) He is grateful.
(c) He is thrilled.
(d) He is furious.
12. What assurance does Dr. Hugh give Dencombe?
(a) He will write another six books.
(b) He will be immortalized in his books.
(c) He will live forever.
(d) He will live a long time.
13. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
(a) To pay more attention to the Countess.
(b) To take care of his own health.
(c) To tend to his health not his writing.
(d) To leave Dr. Hugh alone.
14. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
15. How does Dr. Hugh create a reason to meet Dencombe?
(a) He goes out of his way to stop at Dencombe's bench.
(b) He feigns shortness of breath.
(c) He feigns a cramp in his leg.
(d) He leaves his book on Dencombe's bench.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
2. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
3. What does May Bartram buy in London?
4. Where does May Bartram think she has met John Marcher before?
5. How does James characterize the neighborhood where the telegraph office is located?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)