|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
2. What does Dencombe feel about his writing career?
(a) He does not have any good ideas left.
(b) His best work is still to come.
(c) He has peaked.
(d) He still had good ideas he is anxious to explore.
3. Who is the main character?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A factory girl.
(c) A Countess.
(d) A telegraph operator.
4. Whose life does John Marcher think his life should have resembled?
(a) May Bartram's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) His father's.
(d) Everyone else's.
5. Where does Spencer Brydon return to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(d) New York.
6. Why does Lady Bradeen stop using the main character's telegraph office?
(a) She moves away.
(b) She suspects the main character of having a crush on Captain Everard.
(c) She is sure the main character has stolen from her.
(d) She understands that the main character is watching her.
7. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
(a) Jewelry from the Countess.
(b) A favorable review in a literary journal.
(c) A copy of his first book for Dencombe to sign.
8. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) In a publishing house.
(b) In a newspaper office.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) In a government office.
9. Why does Dencombe feel this way?
(a) He did not expect this money to come to him.
(b) He has published so many novels, he has gone through this before.
(c) This is his first book.
(d) His previous books were not well received, and he does not expect this one to be either.
10. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
(a) He takes a lover of his own.
(b) He leaves her.
(c) He dies.
(d) He falls ill.
11. Why does John Marcher think he was invited along?
(a) He got lost in the crowd.
(b) He was so polite.
(c) He would talk to the old ladies.
(d) He looked so pitiable.
12. Where does the main character stroll past on her way home?
(a) Mr. Mudge's flat.
(b) Captain Everard's apartment.
(c) Lady Braden's home.
(d) Mrs. Jordan's house.
13. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 7 or 10 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) A month.
14. How does James characterize John Marcher's social life?
(a) He is always socializing.
(b) He hardly ever goes out.
(c) He accepts invitations from time to time.
(d) He travels as much as possible.
15. What does James say fiction must be, above all?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dencombe expect when he opens the package he has received?
2. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
3. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
4. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
5. How much time passes between May Bartram moving to London and her falling ill?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)