|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is May Bartram?
(a) A student studying in the museum John Marcher was touring.
(b) A teacher in the school John Marcher visited.
(c) A tourist.
(d) A guest in the country house John Marcher is touring.
2. Who relies on the main character for support?
(a) Her fiancee.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
3. What do Dencombe and Dr. Hugh assume about each other before they have met?
(a) They are book reviewers.
(b) They are avid readers.
(c) They are writers.
(d) They are both invalids.
4. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's lifestyle all these years?
5. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
(a) A copy of his first book for Dencombe to sign.
(b) Jewelry from the Countess.
(c) A favorable review in a literary journal.
6. What does May Bartram buy in London?
(a) A pet bird.
(b) A house.
(c) A golden bowl.
(d) A necklace.
7. What does Spencer Brydon do with the second house he acquires?
(a) Installs his mistress in it.
(b) Renovates it to rent it.
(c) Installs his friends in it.
(d) Moves into it.
8. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) He finds it charming.
(b) He is repulsed by it.
(c) He is appalled by the changes.
(d) He is fascinated by how it has not changed.
9. Where does John Marcher meet May Bartram?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In London.
(c) During a theatre performance.
(d) Touring a country house.
10. What does John Marcher realize he should have done?
(a) Fallen in love with May Bartram.
(b) Let May Bartram teach him about philanthropy.
(c) Moved in with May Bartram.
(d) Taken May Bartram for a mistress.
11. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) In a newspaper office.
(b) He is an artist.
(c) In a government office.
(d) In a publishing house.
12. Why does Dencombe feel this way?
(a) He did not expect this money to come to him.
(b) His previous books were not well received, and he does not expect this one to be either.
(c) This is his first book.
(d) He has published so many novels, he has gone through this before.
13. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
(a) He was not worthy of it.
(b) He had been looking in all the wrong places.
(c) It was never going to happen.
(d) He was mistaken about it from the start.
14. What does James say a damsel in a small village can write about, if she is someone on whom nothing is lost?
(a) Faraway lands.
(b) Married life.
(d) Military life.
15. What dose Miss Staverton say Spencer Brydon would have done if he had returned years earlier?
(a) Made millions of dollars.
(b) Married her.
(c) Been miserable.
(d) Worked himself to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had John Marcher told May Bartram when they met earlier?
2. What does Dencombe expect when he opens the package he has received?
3. What allows May Bartram to buy this?
4. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
5. What was the content of the thing John Marcher told May Bartram?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)