|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
(a) To pay more attention to the Countess.
(b) To leave Dr. Hugh alone.
(c) To take care of his own health.
(d) To tend to his health not his writing.
2. What is the young man, whom Dencombe sees approaching, doing?
(a) Reading a letter.
(b) Discoursing to the young girl.
(c) Reading a critical review of his book.
(d) Reading one of his books.
3. Where is the telegraph office located in ''In the Cage'?
(a) In the post office.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the bank.
(d) In Crocker's grocery.
4. How does the main character find out that Lady Bradeen's husband has discovered the affair with Captain Everard?
(a) By talking with Mrs. Jordan.
(b) By talking with Captain Everard.
(c) By talking with another telegraph operator.
(d) By chance.
5. What do Dencombe and Dr. Hugh assume about each other before they have met?
(a) They are book reviewers.
(b) They are both invalids.
(c) They are avid readers.
(d) They are writers.
6. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Intimidating and smart.
(b) Elegant and beautiful.
(c) Mousy and fragile.
(d) Savvy and manipulative.
7. What inducement does the fiancee offer the main character?
(a) Savings on rent.
(b) A more luxurious lifestyle.
(c) Help with her housework.
(d) Undying affection.
8. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
9. How does James describe Miss Vernham?
(a) Mousy and young.
(b) Alert and educated.
(c) Shabby but intimidating.
(d) Middle-aged and energetic.
10. What is Captain Everard's relationship with Lady Bradeen?
11. What is clear to the reader and to Captain Everard, but not to the main character?
(a) Captain Everard is getting bored with Lady Bradeen.
(b) Captain Everard does not return her affection.
(c) Captain Everard is fascinated with the main character.
(d) Lady Bradeen's husband is finding out about his wife's affair.
12. Who haunts the house on jolly corner?
(a) Spencer Brydon's father.
(b) Spencer Brydon's love for Miss Staverton.
(c) The man Spencer Brydon could have been.
(d) Spencer Brydon's former self.
13. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
(a) He is bored.
(b) He is grateful.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is thrilled.
14. How does Dr. Hugh create a reason to meet Dencombe?
(a) He goes out of his way to stop at Dencombe's bench.
(b) He feigns shortness of breath.
(c) He feigns a cramp in his leg.
(d) He leaves his book on Dencombe's bench.
15. What does Eve Sedgwick suggest was John Marcher's real secret?
(a) His death.
(b) His bankruptcy.
(c) His pathological fears.
(d) His homosexuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dencombe realize as he dies?
2. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
3. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
4. What does Spencer Brydon do with the second house he acquires?
5. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)