|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Intimidating and smart.
(b) Mousy and fragile.
(c) Savvy and manipulative.
(d) Elegant and beautiful.
2. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's alter ego?
3. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
(a) He leaves her.
(b) He takes a lover of his own.
(c) He falls ill.
(d) He dies.
4. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
(a) He was mistaken about it from the start.
(b) It was never going to happen.
(c) He had been looking in all the wrong places.
(d) He was not worthy of it.
5. Where is the telegraph office located in ''In the Cage'?
(a) In Crocker's grocery.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the bank.
(d) In the post office.
6. Where does John Marcher meet May Bartram?
(a) Touring a country house.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In London.
(d) During a theatre performance.
7. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
(a) Miss Staverton's family's house.
(b) Spencer Brydon's business partner's.
(c) Spencer Brydon's family's house.
(d) Miss Staverton's lover's.
8. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) A month.
(d) 7 or 10 years.
9. How does the main character find out that Lady Bradeen's husband has discovered the affair with Captain Everard?
(a) By talking with Captain Everard.
(b) By chance.
(c) By talking with another telegraph operator.
(d) By talking with Mrs. Jordan.
10. Where does May Bartram think she has met John Marcher before?
(a) In Rome.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In London.
(d) In Italy.
11. Why does James say John Marcher lives like this?
(a) To give himself time to make his secret less destructive in his life.
(b) To search for the most suitable partner.
(c) To remedy his guilt about inheriting his father's money.
(d) To avoid others detecting his secret.
12. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
(b) Real conflicts.
13. What is Miss Staverton's relationship with Spencer Brydon?
(a) Old friends.
(d) Old lovers.
14. With whom does the main character become infatuated?
(a) Lady Bradeen.
(b) Mr. Mudge.
(c) Mrs. Jordan.
(d) Captain Everard.
15. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
(a) Abandon her alcoholic mother.
(b) Give up her job and move to his apartment.
(c) Move in with him before they are married.
(d) Move to the Chalk Farms neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James say a damsel in a small village can write about, if she is someone on whom nothing is lost?
2. What does the main character do to help Lady Bradeen?
3. What distracts Dencombe from his meditation on his own future?
4. How does James describe the Countess?
5. What is John Marcher there to see?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)