|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James' critical language come from ___________.
2. Why does James say John Marcher lives like this?
(a) To search for the most suitable partner.
(b) To avoid others detecting his secret.
(c) To give himself time to make his secret less destructive in his life.
(d) To remedy his guilt about inheriting his father's money.
3. Who haunts the house on jolly corner?
(a) Spencer Brydon's former self.
(b) Spencer Brydon's love for Miss Staverton.
(c) Spencer Brydon's father.
(d) The man Spencer Brydon could have been.
4. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
(a) It has to prove a moral or teach a lesson.
(b) It has to make new insights into the nature of human consciousness.
(c) It has to be rich with possibilities.
(d) It has to redefine the forms of all novels that came before it.
5. For how long has Spencer Brydon been living in Europe at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) 33 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 18 years.
(d) 1 year.
6. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Mousy and fragile.
(b) Intimidating and smart.
(c) Savvy and manipulative.
(d) Elegant and beautiful.
7. What distracts Dencombe from his meditation on his own future?
(a) Three people walking up the path.
(b) He picks up his book.
(c) He watches people milling about on the lawn below him.
(d) He watches the birds in the trees.
8. What dose Miss Staverton say Spencer Brydon would have done if he had returned years earlier?
(a) Worked himself to death.
(b) Married her.
(c) Made millions of dollars.
(d) Been miserable.
9. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) In a government office.
(b) In a publishing house.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) In a newspaper office.
10. In what location is 'The Middle Years' set?
(a) A health resort.
(b) A luxury spa.
(c) A country house.
(d) A private estate.
11. How does James characterize the lifestyle John Marcher leads?
12. What does the main character plan to do, when she is disappointed by Captain Everard?
(a) Expose the affair to Lady Bradeen's husband.
(b) Break off with Mr. Mudge.
(c) Marry Mr. Mudge.
(d) Offer to work for Lady Bradeen.
13. In what month is 'The Beast in the Jungle' set?
14. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
(c) Real conflicts.
15. Where is the telegraph office located in ''In the Cage'?
(a) In Crocker's grocery.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the post office.
(d) In the bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is May Bartram?
2. What did people think fiction should do, according to Henry James?
3. What was terrible about the event John Marcher waited for?
4. What is Dr. Hugh's reaction to Dencombe's book?
5. How does James characterize John Marcher's social life?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)