|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Dencombe just received as 'The Middle Years' opens?
(a) Notice of a friend's death.
(b) His most recent book.
(c) A letter from his wife.
(d) A check.
2. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) He finds it charming.
(b) He is appalled by the changes.
(c) He is fascinated by how it has not changed.
(d) He is repulsed by it.
3. How does James characterize the lifestyle John Marcher leads?
4. What does Spencer Brydon do with the second house he acquires?
(a) Installs his mistress in it.
(b) Moves into it.
(c) Installs his friends in it.
(d) Renovates it to rent it.
5. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
6. How does James characterize the main character's fiancee?
(a) Dashing but daft.
(b) Decent but dull.
(c) Devious and disrespectable.
(d) Diligent and devoted.
7. Who is Miss Vernham?
(a) The Countess' niece.
(b) Dr. Hugh's lover.
(c) The Countess' paid companion.
(d) Dr. Hugh's assistant.
8. How does James characterize Lady Bradeen?
(a) Savvy and manipulative.
(b) Intimidating and smart.
(c) Mousy and fragile.
(d) Elegant and beautiful.
9. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) He is an artist.
(b) In a publishing house.
(c) In a newspaper office.
(d) In a government office.
10. What does May Bartram buy in London?
(a) A house.
(b) A pet bird.
(c) A golden bowl.
(d) A necklace.
11. Who is the main character?
(a) A telegraph operator.
(b) A clerk.
(c) A factory girl.
(d) A Countess.
12. Why does Lady Bradeen stop using the main character's telegraph office?
(a) She understands that the main character is watching her.
(b) She moves away.
(c) She is sure the main character has stolen from her.
(d) She suspects the main character of having a crush on Captain Everard.
13. What does the main character do to help Lady Bradeen?
(a) Warns her about her husband's visit.
(b) Saves her money.
(c) Protects her reputation.
(d) Corrects an error in her telegram.
14. How does Spencer Brydon acquire a second house?
(a) As a gift.
(b) He bought it.
(c) As a business investment.
(d) By inheritance.
15. What does Dencombe feel about his writing career?
(a) He has peaked.
(b) His best work is still to come.
(c) He still had good ideas he is anxious to explore.
(d) He does not have any good ideas left.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did stories need to be in James' time?
2. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
3. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
4. What does James say is more important than genius?
5. What does May Bartram tell John Marcher about his secret?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)