|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize the main character's feelings for her fiancee?
2. What does James say a damsel in a small village can write about, if she is someone on whom nothing is lost?
(b) Faraway lands.
(c) Married life.
(d) Military life.
3. What does the main character think Captain Everard thinks about her?
(a) He loves her but does not want to show it.
(b) He wants to help her, but cannot break convention to do so.
(c) He is grateful to her for her help, but cannot acknowledge it.
(d) He resents her intrusion into his affair, but can't acknowledge the affair.
4. How old is Spencer Brydon?
(a) 71 years old.
(b) 46 years old.
(c) 56 years old.
(d) 67 years old.
5. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
(a) Give up her job and move to his apartment.
(b) Abandon her alcoholic mother.
(c) Move to the Chalk Farms neighborhood.
(d) Move in with him before they are married.
6. What does Spencer Brydon do with the second house he acquires?
(a) Installs his mistress in it.
(b) Renovates it to rent it.
(c) Moves into it.
(d) Installs his friends in it.
7. In what location is 'The Middle Years' set?
(a) A luxury spa.
(b) A country house.
(c) A private estate.
(d) A health resort.
8. What does John Marcher realize he should have done?
(a) Fallen in love with May Bartram.
(b) Taken May Bartram for a mistress.
(c) Let May Bartram teach him about philanthropy.
(d) Moved in with May Bartram.
9. Who is May Bartram?
(a) A student studying in the museum John Marcher was touring.
(b) A tourist.
(c) A guest in the country house John Marcher is touring.
(d) A teacher in the school John Marcher visited.
10. How do the editors characterize James' view on short stories?
(a) A short story could be like a mirror for the reader.
(b) A short story could be like a force of nature.
(c) A short story could be a roadmap for the future of society.
(d) A short story could be like a picture.
11. What is the young man, whom Dencombe sees approaching, doing?
(a) Reading a letter.
(b) Discoursing to the young girl.
(c) Reading one of his books.
(d) Reading a critical review of his book.
12. How long ago did May Bartram and John Marcher meet?
(a) 4 years.
(b) A month.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 7 or 10 years.
13. Whose life does John Marcher think his life should have resembled?
(a) His brother's.
(b) His father's.
(c) May Bartram's.
(d) Everyone else's.
14. Who haunts the house on jolly corner?
(a) Spencer Brydon's father.
(b) The man Spencer Brydon could have been.
(c) Spencer Brydon's former self.
(d) Spencer Brydon's love for Miss Staverton.
15. How does Spencer Brydon acquire a second house?
(a) He bought it.
(b) As a business investment.
(c) By inheritance.
(d) As a gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dose Miss Staverton say Spencer Brydon would have done if he had returned years earlier?
2. How much time passes between May Bartram moving to London and her falling ill?
3. What was terrible about the event John Marcher waited for?
4. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
5. In what month is 'The Beast in the Jungle' set?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)