|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Marcher there to see?
(a) Wild animals.
(b) Antiques and artistic treasures.
(c) Society women.
(d) His lover.
2. What has Dencombe just received as 'The Middle Years' opens?
(a) His most recent book.
(b) A letter from his wife.
(c) Notice of a friend's death.
(d) A check.
3. What does Dencombe find when he reads his new book?
(a) He is impressed.
(b) He cannot pay attention to it.
(c) He despairs.
(d) He is confused.
4. Who is Miss Vernham?
(a) Dr. Hugh's assistant.
(b) The Countess' niece.
(c) Dr. Hugh's lover.
(d) The Countess' paid companion.
5. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
(a) He leaves her.
(b) He falls ill.
(c) He dies.
(d) He takes a lover of his own.
6. What assurance does Dr. Hugh give Dencombe?
(a) He will live forever.
(b) He will be immortalized in his books.
(c) He will live a long time.
(d) He will write another six books.
7. What does Dencombe feel about his future?
(a) He expects to begin over again.
(b) He looks forward to critical appreciation for the book he is working on now.
(c) He is apprehensive about his savings holding out.
(d) He is depressed about his narrowing prospects.
8. Where does May Bartram think she has met John Marcher before?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Rome.
(c) In Italy.
(d) In London.
9. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) He finds it charming.
(b) He is appalled by the changes.
(c) He is repulsed by it.
(d) He is fascinated by how it has not changed.
10. What disappointing news does the main character find out about Captain Everard?
(a) He is generally regarded as a scoundrel.
(b) He is heavily in debt.
(c) He has many mistresses.
(d) He is dying of tuberculosis.
11. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
(a) He is grateful.
(b) He is bored.
(c) He is thrilled.
(d) He is furious.
12. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) He is an artist.
(b) In a government office.
(c) In a newspaper office.
(d) In a publishing house.
13. What is clear to the reader and to Captain Everard, but not to the main character?
(a) Captain Everard does not return her affection.
(b) Captain Everard is getting bored with Lady Bradeen.
(c) Lady Bradeen's husband is finding out about his wife's affair.
(d) Captain Everard is fascinated with the main character.
14. James' critical language come from ___________.
15. What does the main character do to help Lady Bradeen?
(a) Saves her money.
(b) Warns her about her husband's visit.
(c) Protects her reputation.
(d) Corrects an error in her telegram.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dencombe realize as he dies?
2. What does Dencombe expect when he opens the package he has received?
3. To whom is the Munich engaged?
4. Why does James say John Marcher lives like this?
5. Where does Dencombe feel he is in his life?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)