|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does May Bartram think she has met John Marcher before?
(a) In London.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In Italy.
(d) In Rome.
2. How does James describe the Countess?
(a) Fragile and unhealthy-looking.
(b) Stout and middle-aged.
(c) Fit and energetic.
(d) Mousy and retiring.
3. What does May Bartram tell John Marcher about his secret?
(a) He had misinterpreted all the important signs.
(b) The event he waited for has already happened.
(c) She had always known about his secret.
(d) Everyone knew his secret.
4. What does Dr. Hugh bring to Dencombe after Dencombe's collapse?
(b) Jewelry from the Countess.
(c) A copy of his first book for Dencombe to sign.
(d) A favorable review in a literary journal.
5. What has Dencombe just received as 'The Middle Years' opens?
(a) A check.
(b) His most recent book.
(c) Notice of a friend's death.
(d) A letter from his wife.
6. Why does Dencombe feel this way?
(a) He has published so many novels, he has gone through this before.
(b) This is his first book.
(c) He did not expect this money to come to him.
(d) His previous books were not well received, and he does not expect this one to be either.
7. How does the telegraph operator help Lady Bradeen and Captain Everard?
(a) She poses as Captain Everard's lover for the sake of Lady Bradeen's husband.
(b) She hides their correspondence from investigators.
(c) She contains the fallout of their affair.
(d) She prevents Lady Bradeen's husband from finding out.
8. In what month is 'The Beast in the Jungle' set?
9. Where does John Marcher meet May Bartram?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In London.
(c) During a theatre performance.
(d) Touring a country house.
10. Why do the editors say James' essays on criticism are inconsistent?
(a) James' writing was inconsistent.
(b) James himself changed his mind frequently.
(c) James' work made great developmental strides over his career.
(d) They were written over the course of many years.
11. How old is Spencer Brydon?
(a) 56 years old.
(b) 71 years old.
(c) 46 years old.
(d) 67 years old.
12. How long did stories need to be in James' time?
(a) Around 5,000 words.
(b) Around 10,000 words.
(c) Around 3,000 words.
(d) Around 7,000 words.
13. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) In a publishing house.
(b) In a newspaper office.
(c) In a government office.
(d) He is an artist.
14. What does Dencombe feel about his writing career?
(a) His best work is still to come.
(b) He has peaked.
(c) He still had good ideas he is anxious to explore.
(d) He does not have any good ideas left.
15. Who is Miss Vernham?
(a) The Countess' niece.
(b) Dr. Hugh's assistant.
(c) The Countess' paid companion.
(d) Dr. Hugh's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does the main character become infatuated?
2. How does James characterize the neighborhood where the telegraph office is located?
3. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
4. What does Dencombe say about his best books?
5. James' critical language come from ___________.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)