|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May Bartram tell John Marcher about his secret?
(a) Everyone knew his secret.
(b) He had misinterpreted all the important signs.
(c) She had always known about his secret.
(d) The event he waited for has already happened.
2. Where does May Bartram think she has met John Marcher before?
(a) In London.
(b) In Rome.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In Italy.
3. How much time passes between May Bartram moving to London and her falling ill?
(a) Many years.
(b) Six months.
(c) A few years.
(d) A year.
4. What is John Marcher there to see?
(a) Antiques and artistic treasures.
(b) Wild animals.
(c) His lover.
(d) Society women.
5. In what location is 'The Middle Years' set?
(a) A private estate.
(b) A health resort.
(c) A luxury spa.
(d) A country house.
6. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
(a) It was never going to happen.
(b) He had been looking in all the wrong places.
(c) He was mistaken about it from the start.
(d) He was not worthy of it.
7. How does James characterize Spencer Brydon's lifestyle all these years?
8. How does James characterize the lifestyle John Marcher leads?
9. What does the main character think Captain Everard thinks about her?
(a) He loves her but does not want to show it.
(b) He is grateful to her for her help, but cannot acknowledge it.
(c) He resents her intrusion into his affair, but can't acknowledge the affair.
(d) He wants to help her, but cannot break convention to do so.
10. What did people think fiction should do, according to Henry James?
(a) Raise powerful questions.
(b) Undermine the dominant paradigm.
(c) Restore the golden age.
(d) Educate or entertain.
11. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
12. How does James characterize the main character's feelings for her fiancee?
13. Why do the editors say James' essays on criticism are inconsistent?
(a) They were written over the course of many years.
(b) James' work made great developmental strides over his career.
(c) James' writing was inconsistent.
(d) James himself changed his mind frequently.
14. What is Dencombe's reaction to the package he has just received?
(a) He is bored.
(b) He is grateful.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is thrilled.
15. Whose life does John Marcher think his life should have resembled?
(a) May Bartram's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) His father's.
(d) Everyone else's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James say is more important than genius?
2. How does Spencer Brydon acquire a second house?
3. What allows May Bartram to buy this?
4. What happens to Lady Bradeen's husband after he discovers his wife's affair?
5. Who is the main character?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)