|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Dencombe just received as 'The Middle Years' opens?
(a) A letter from his wife.
(b) His most recent book.
(c) Notice of a friend's death.
(d) A check.
2. Whose life does John Marcher think his life should have resembled?
(a) His father's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) May Bartram's.
(d) Everyone else's.
3. What does John Marcher realize he should have done?
(a) Moved in with May Bartram.
(b) Let May Bartram teach him about philanthropy.
(c) Taken May Bartram for a mistress.
(d) Fallen in love with May Bartram.
4. How long did stories need to be in James' time?
(a) Around 3,000 words.
(b) Around 5,000 words.
(c) Around 10,000 words.
(d) Around 7,000 words.
5. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
(a) Spencer Brydon's family's house.
(b) Miss Staverton's family's house.
(c) Miss Staverton's lover's.
(d) Spencer Brydon's business partner's.
6. What does Dencombe feel about his future?
(a) He is apprehensive about his savings holding out.
(b) He is depressed about his narrowing prospects.
(c) He looks forward to critical appreciation for the book he is working on now.
(d) He expects to begin over again.
7. What allows May Bartram to buy this?
(a) A gift from her fiancée.
(b) An inheritance.
(c) Profits from her novel.
(d) Her personal fortune.
8. What does the main character's fiancee encourage her to do?
(a) Give up her job and move to his apartment.
(b) Move in with him before they are married.
(c) Move to the Chalk Farms neighborhood.
(d) Abandon her alcoholic mother.
9. How does James characterize the main character's feelings for her fiancee?
10. Where does John Marcher work?
(a) In a government office.
(b) In a newspaper office.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) In a publishing house.
11. To whom is the Munich engaged?
(a) Mr. Bradeen.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) Mr. Mudge.
(d) Captain Everard.
12. What does art thrive on, according to 'Art of Fiction'?
(a) Real conflicts.
13. What distracts Dencombe from his meditation on his own future?
(a) He watches the birds in the trees.
(b) Three people walking up the path.
(c) He watches people milling about on the lawn below him.
(d) He picks up his book.
14. What does the main character do to help Lady Bradeen?
(a) Corrects an error in her telegram.
(b) Warns her about her husband's visit.
(c) Protects her reputation.
(d) Saves her money.
15. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) He finds it charming.
(b) He is fascinated by how it has not changed.
(c) He is appalled by the changes.
(d) He is repulsed by it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Marcher realize about the event he was waiting for?
2. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
3. Why does Lady Bradeen stop using the main character's telegraph office?
4. What does Dencombe realize as he dies?
5. Who is the main character?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)