|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James describe Brooksmith's personality?
2. Who is Jeffrey Aspern?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A publisher.
(c) A renowned poet.
(d) A painter.
3. Why has Winterbourne come to the place where he meets Daisy Miller?
(a) To come to school.
(b) To visit his aunt.
(c) To meet Daisy Miller.
(d) To visit his lover.
4. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
(a) A businessman.
(b) An illustrator.
(c) A model.
(d) A patron of the arts.
5. What do Oronte and Miss Churm do to assume different characters?
(a) Invent speeches for the characters.
(b) Begin speaking differently.
(c) Close their eyes.
(d) Change clothes.
6. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
7. Where does the narrator think Brooksmith is now?
(a) Hobnobbing in London.
(b) Waiting table for the gods.
(c) Playing horses in America.
8. Who is Mr. Giovanelli?
(a) An Italian lawyer.
(b) A street urchin.
(c) A con man.
(d) A salesman.
9. What does the publisher believe is the reason for Julianne Bordereau wearing a certain accessory in his presence?
(a) To protect herself from getting a headache.
(b) To hide the searing power of her eyes.
(c) To seduce him.
(d) To impress him.
10. What is Brooksmith's reaction to Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He is grief-stricken.
(b) He is guilty.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is glad.
11. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
12. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
(a) They are the only interesting figures in the pictures.
(b) They bring life to the pictures.
(c) They dominate the others.
(d) They drain life from the pictures.
13. Paula and Amy Moreen are employed at _____________.
(a) Charity work.
(b) Finding husbands.
(c) Factory work.
14. What is the publisher trying to get his hands on?
(a) Aspern's property.
(b) Aspern's lover.
(c) Aspern's unpublished manuscripts.
(d) Aspern's love letters.
15. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 1,000 pounds.
(d) 100 francs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Morgan die?
2. What does Winterbourne realize with a shock, about Daisy Miller?
3. How does James characterize Oronte and Miss Churm as models?
4. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
5. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)