|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chooses which visitors to admit to Mr. Offord's house?
(a) Mr. Offord.
(c) Mrs. Offord.
(d) The narrator.
2. What is the main character working on when the Monarchs come to see him?
(a) Composing a letter.
(b) Looking for a model.
(c) Illustrating a book.
(d) Writing a pamphlet.
3. How does James characterize Mr. and Mrs. Monarch?
4. Where does Brooksmith go after his mother dies?
(a) To Australia.
(b) He departs on long travels.
(c) He disappears.
(d) To America.
5. What do Oronte and Miss Churm do to assume different characters?
(a) Change clothes.
(b) Begin speaking differently.
(c) Invent speeches for the characters.
(d) Close their eyes.
6. How does Morgan die?
(a) From malaria.
(b) From shock to find out that his parents were actually broke.
(c) From a broken heart for what he thought was Pemberton's betrayal.
(d) From tuberculosis.
7. What changes for Mr. Offord?
(a) His health declines.
(b) He adopts Brooksmith.
(c) He inherits money.
(d) He loses his memory.
8. What is the cause of Daisy Miller's death?
(a) Scarlet fever.
9. Who summons the narrator to Brooksmith's bedside when Brooksmith falls ill?
(a) A friend.
(b) Mr. Offord's daughter.
(c) Brooksmith's aunt.
(d) Brooksmith's daughter.
10. Who is the boy Winterbourne meets?
(a) A street urchin.
(b) Daisy Miller's son.
(c) Daisy Miller's brother.
(d) Daisy Miller's cousin.
11. What effect have the Monarchs had on the main character's art, according to Jack Hawley?
(a) They bring it to life.
(b) They expand it.
(c) They distract from it.
(d) They hurt it.
12. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
13. What is improper about Winterbourne talking to Daisy Miller at first?
(a) She is by herself.
(b) They have not been introduced.
(c) She is unmarried.
(d) He is married.
14. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
15. Paula and Amy Moreen are employed at _____________.
(a) Factory work.
(b) Finding husbands.
(d) Charity work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winterbourne encounter Daisy Miller the second time?
2. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
3. How often does the narrator stop by Mr. Offord's house?
4. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
5. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)