|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James describe Brooksmith's personality?
2. What does the boy ask Winterbourne for in the garden?
(a) A book.
(b) A cube of sugar.
3. How often does the narrator stop by Mr. Offord's house?
4. The Monarchs ask the main character for ___________.
(b) Paintings to buy.
(c) Referrals to a painter.
(d) Work as models.
5. Where does Winterbourne encounter Daisy Miller the second time?
(a) At Mrs. Walker's home.
(b) In a garden in Rome.
(c) At Mr. Giovanelli's home.
(d) In the street.
6. Who is Jeffrey Aspern?
(a) A painter.
(b) A publisher.
(c) A clerk.
(d) A renowned poet.
7. What does Pemberton neglect to ask Mrs. Moreen?
(a) What his hours will be.
(b) Where he will stay.
(c) How much he will be paid.
(d) What he will be responsible for, exactly.
8. What is Brooksmith's reaction to Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He is grief-stricken.
(b) He is guilty.
(c) He is glad.
(d) He is relieved.
9. Where is Oronte from?
10. Where doe Brooksmith end up finding work?
(a) In aristocratic houses.
(b) In newspapers.
(c) In lower-class households.
(d) In museums.
11. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 1,000 pounds.
(c) 100 francs.
(d) 100 pounds.
12. What is Oronte's relationship with the main character?
(a) He is his manservant.
(b) He is one of his regular models.
(c) He is one of his patrons.
(d) He is one a representative from an gallery.
13. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
(a) He found himself at home.
(b) He did not last long in any of them.
(c) He stayed permanently at the first place he could find.
(d) He had a hard time adjusting, but ultimately resigned himself.
14. What effect have the Monarchs had on the main character's art, according to Jack Hawley?
(a) They bring it to life.
(b) They hurt it.
(c) They expand it.
(d) They distract from it.
15. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Tend to the garden himself.
(b) Build a terrace in the garden.
(c) Hire someone to tend the garden.
(d) Bring flowers to Miss Tita.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the publisher not get the papers?
2. How does James characterize the Moreens?
3. What is improper about Winterbourne talking to Daisy Miller at first?
4. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
5. What does Mrs. Moreen hold in her hands while she makes her offer to Pemberton?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)