|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jeffrey Aspern?
(a) A painter.
(b) A clerk.
(c) A renowned poet.
(d) A publisher.
2. What was Julianne Bordereau's response to the publisher's initial request?
(a) She proposed terms that were more expensive than he could afford.
(b) She rudely rejected him.
(c) She started to negotiate with him.
(d) She responded coyly.
3. What is Brooksmith's role at Mr. Offord's gatherings?
(a) Fixing drinks.
(b) Moderating discussion.
(c) Managing the servants.
(d) Hiding the affairs.
4. What does the publisher believe is the reason for Julianne Bordereau wearing a certain accessory in his presence?
(a) To protect herself from getting a headache.
(b) To hide the searing power of her eyes.
(c) To impress him.
(d) To seduce him.
5. Where does the narrator think Brooksmith is now?
(a) Playing horses in America.
(b) Hobnobbing in London.
(d) Waiting table for the gods.
6. Who summons the narrator to Brooksmith's bedside when Brooksmith falls ill?
(a) Brooksmith's daughter.
(b) Brooksmith's aunt.
(c) Mr. Offord's daughter.
(d) A friend.
7. What is improper about Winterbourne talking to Daisy Miller at first?
(a) She is unmarried.
(b) They have not been introduced.
(c) He is married.
(d) She is by herself.
8. How does James characterize the Moreens?
9. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
(a) They dominate the others.
(b) They drain life from the pictures.
(c) They are the only interesting figures in the pictures.
(d) They bring life to the pictures.
10. What outcome is the main character hoping his work will bring?
(a) A commission to write a book.
(b) A commission to illustrate a series of books.
(c) Commissions for portraits.
(d) Investors for his gallery.
11. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
(a) He will get paid retroactively if the Moreens make money.
(b) Morgan will know that he is working for nothing.
(c) Morgan will not be told that he is working for nothing.
(d) He will be boarded and clothed for free as well.
12. How does James describe Pemberton?
(a) Sophisticated and smart.
(b) Outgoing and gregarious.
(c) Brilliant and curious.
(d) Weak and ineffectual.
13. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
(a) A model.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A patron of the arts.
(d) An illustrator.
14. Where does Brooksmith work after his illness?
(a) As a stable hand.
(b) As a cook.
(c) As a footman.
(d) As a waiter.
15. Who is Mr. Giovanelli?
(a) A con man.
(b) A salesman.
(c) A street urchin.
(d) An Italian lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the boy Winterbourne meets?
2. Where is Oronte from?
3. What does Daisy Miller do that gives people the idea that she and Mr. Giovanelli are engaged?
4. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
5. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)