|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oronte's relationship with the main character?
(a) He is one of his patrons.
(b) He is his manservant.
(c) He is one a representative from an gallery.
(d) He is one of his regular models.
2. How does Morgan die?
(a) From shock to find out that his parents were actually broke.
(b) From tuberculosis.
(c) From malaria.
(d) From a broken heart for what he thought was Pemberton's betrayal.
3. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
(a) He had a hard time adjusting, but ultimately resigned himself.
(b) He stayed permanently at the first place he could find.
(c) He did not last long in any of them.
(d) He found himself at home.
4. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He loans him money and helps him set up his own house.
(b) He does not give Brooksmith much thought.
(c) He refers him for a job somewhere else.
(d) He considers hiring him, but cannot afford it.
5. How does James describe Pemberton?
(a) Outgoing and gregarious.
(b) Brilliant and curious.
(c) Sophisticated and smart.
(d) Weak and ineffectual.
6. Why has Winterbourne come to the place where he meets Daisy Miller?
(a) To visit his lover.
(b) To come to school.
(c) To meet Daisy Miller.
(d) To visit his aunt.
7. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) A head wrap.
(b) A green eye shade.
(c) An emerald necklace.
(d) An ostrich-feather hat.
8. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 100 francs.
(b) 1,000 pounds.
(c) 1,000 francs.
(d) 100 pounds.
9. What does Winterbourne realize with a shock, about Daisy Miller?
(a) She is already secretly married.
(b) She is too innocent for her own good.
(c) She is already sleeping with Mr. Giovanelli.
(d) She is not a respectable woman.
10. What is improper about Winterbourne talking to Daisy Miller at first?
(a) They have not been introduced.
(b) She is unmarried.
(c) He is married.
(d) She is by herself.
11. How does James characterize the relationship between Mr. Offord and Brooksmith?
(a) Father and son.
(b) Intimate friends.
(c) Distant relations.
12. How does James describe Miss Churm?
(a) A dark, passionate girl.
(b) A milky-skinned, complacent girl.
(c) A freckled cockney girl.
(d) A fiery-tempered, red-cheeked girl.
13. What is the main character working on when the Monarchs come to see him?
(a) Composing a letter.
(b) Writing a pamphlet.
(c) Looking for a model.
(d) Illustrating a book.
14. Who is Jeffrey Aspern?
(a) A publisher.
(b) A painter.
(c) A renowned poet.
(d) A clerk.
15. What is the Monarchs' reaction when the main character chooses Oronte and Miss Churm for the refined characters in the illustrations?
(a) They are depressed.
(b) They are disbelieving.
(c) They are shocked.
(d) They are outraged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
2. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
3. Where does Winterbourne encounter Daisy Miller the second time?
4. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
5. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)