|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is improper about Winterbourne talking to Daisy Miller at first?
(a) She is by herself.
(b) They have not been introduced.
(c) She is unmarried.
(d) He is married.
2. What changes for Mr. Offord?
(a) He adopts Brooksmith.
(b) He inherits money.
(c) He loses his memory.
(d) His health declines.
3. What is Brooksmith's reaction to Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He is glad.
(b) He is guilty.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is grief-stricken.
4. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
5. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
(a) They are coming to model for him.
(b) They will commission portraits.
(c) They are looking for their daughter.
(d) They have come to buy paintings.
6. What do Oronte and Miss Churm do to assume different characters?
(a) Invent speeches for the characters.
(b) Close their eyes.
(c) Begin speaking differently.
(d) Change clothes.
7. What effect have the Monarchs had on the main character's art, according to Jack Hawley?
(a) They expand it.
(b) They bring it to life.
(c) They distract from it.
(d) They hurt it.
8. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) A green eye shade.
(b) A head wrap.
(c) An ostrich-feather hat.
(d) An emerald necklace.
9. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
(a) Morgan will not be told that he is working for nothing.
(b) He will be boarded and clothed for free as well.
(c) He will get paid retroactively if the Moreens make money.
(d) Morgan will know that he is working for nothing.
10. Who is Morgan?
(a) A writer.
(b) A gardener.
(c) A student.
(d) A tutor.
11. Where does Winterbourne encounter Daisy Miller the second time?
(a) At Mrs. Walker's home.
(b) In the street.
(c) At Mr. Giovanelli's home.
(d) In a garden in Rome.
12. What is the main character working on when the Monarchs come to see him?
(a) Illustrating a book.
(b) Looking for a model.
(c) Composing a letter.
(d) Writing a pamphlet.
13. What does the narrator send to Brooksmith?
(b) A doctor.
14. Who is Mr. Giovanelli?
(a) An Italian lawyer.
(b) A con man.
(c) A salesman.
(d) A street urchin.
15. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
(a) He stayed permanently at the first place he could find.
(b) He had a hard time adjusting, but ultimately resigned himself.
(c) He did not last long in any of them.
(d) He found himself at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the main character describe the Monarchs' intelligence?
2. Who steers conversation at Mr. Offord's house?
3. What was Julianne Bordereau's response to the publisher's initial request?
4. Where is 'Daisy Miller' set?
5. What is the Monarchs' reaction when the main character chooses Oronte and Miss Churm for the refined characters in the illustrations?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)