|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy ask Winterbourne for in the garden?
(a) A cube of sugar.
(d) A book.
2. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
(a) He resents them for corrupting his art.
(b) He is profoundly sorry he cannot help them.
(c) He doesn't regret it.
(d) He wishes they had never come.
3. Where does Brooksmith go after his mother dies?
(a) He departs on long travels.
(b) He disappears.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To America.
4. What is Miss Churm's relationship with the main character?
(a) She is one of his servants.
(b) She is one a representative from an gallery.
(c) She is one of his regular models.
(d) She is one of his patrons.
5. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) They think it would be wrong to hire him themselves.
(b) They ignore his requests for help or referrals.
(c) One of Mr. Offord's friends takes him in as his butler.
(d) They get together to help find him a new position.
6. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
(a) A model.
(b) An illustrator.
(c) A patron of the arts.
(d) A businessman.
7. Who is Morgan?
(a) A student.
(b) A writer.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A gardener.
8. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) An ostrich-feather hat.
(b) A head wrap.
(c) An emerald necklace.
(d) A green eye shade.
9. Who is Jeffrey Aspern?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A publisher.
(c) A renowned poet.
(d) A painter.
10. How does James describe Brooksmith's personality?
11. What is Oronte's relationship with the main character?
(a) He is one of his patrons.
(b) He is his manservant.
(c) He is one of his regular models.
(d) He is one a representative from an gallery.
12. What effect have the Monarchs had on the main character's art, according to Jack Hawley?
(a) They expand it.
(b) They bring it to life.
(c) They hurt it.
(d) They distract from it.
13. How does James characterize the relationship between Mr. Offord and Brooksmith?
(a) Distant relations.
(c) Father and son.
(d) Intimate friends.
14. What is the reason for the Monarchs' insistence?
(a) They have assistance to offer.
(b) They have a lot to lose.
(c) They are the real thing.
(d) They deserve help.
15. The Monarchs ask the main character for ___________.
(a) Referrals to a painter.
(b) Paintings to buy.
(c) Work as models.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
2. Who steers conversation at Mr. Offord's house?
3. How often does the narrator stop by Mr. Offord's house?
4. How does James characterize the relationship between Morgan and Pemberton?
5. Where is Oronte from?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)