|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Julianne Bordereau's response to the publisher's initial request?
(a) She rudely rejected him.
(b) She proposed terms that were more expensive than he could afford.
(c) She responded coyly.
(d) She started to negotiate with him.
2. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He refers him for a job somewhere else.
(b) He loans him money and helps him set up his own house.
(c) He does not give Brooksmith much thought.
(d) He considers hiring him, but cannot afford it.
3. What changes for Mr. Offord?
(a) He adopts Brooksmith.
(b) He loses his memory.
(c) He inherits money.
(d) His health declines.
4. What does the narrator send to Brooksmith?
(a) A doctor.
5. How does James characterize the relationship between Morgan and Pemberton?
6. Why has Winterbourne come to the place where he meets Daisy Miller?
(a) To come to school.
(b) To meet Daisy Miller.
(c) To visit his aunt.
(d) To visit his lover.
7. What does Mr. Offord conduct in his home?
(a) Political meetings.
(b) Business meetings.
(c) A salon.
(d) A reading club.
8. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
9. The Monarchs ask the main character to hire them as ___________.
(a) His agents.
(b) His publicists.
(c) His models.
(d) His servants.
10. What is the main character working on when the Monarchs come to see him?
(a) Composing a letter.
(b) Writing a pamphlet.
(c) Illustrating a book.
(d) Looking for a model.
11. Where does Winterbourne encounter Daisy Miller the second time?
(a) At Mr. Giovanelli's home.
(b) In a garden in Rome.
(c) In the street.
(d) At Mrs. Walker's home.
12. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
(a) A businessman.
(b) An illustrator.
(c) A patron of the arts.
(d) A model.
13. How often does the narrator stop by Mr. Offord's house?
14. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) An ostrich-feather hat.
(b) An emerald necklace.
(c) A green eye shade.
(d) A head wrap.
15. What does the boy ask Winterbourne for in the garden?
(c) A book.
(d) A cube of sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the publisher not get the papers?
2. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
3. What is the publisher trying to get his hands on?
4. What is it that shocks Mrs. Walker about Daisy Miller's behavior?
5. How does James characterize the Monarchs?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)