|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
2. How does James characterize the relationship between Mr. Offord and Brooksmith?
(a) Distant relations.
(b) Father and son.
(d) Intimate friends.
3. How does James characterize Oronte and Miss Churm as models?
(a) Highly gifted.
4. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 100 pounds.
(b) 1,000 francs.
(c) 100 francs.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
5. What does Winterbourne realize with a shock, about Daisy Miller?
(a) She is already secretly married.
(b) She is not a respectable woman.
(c) She is already sleeping with Mr. Giovanelli.
(d) She is too innocent for her own good.
6. What is the publisher trying to get his hands on?
(a) Aspern's property.
(b) Aspern's unpublished manuscripts.
(c) Aspern's lover.
(d) Aspern's love letters.
7. What do Oronte and Miss Churm do to assume different characters?
(a) Invent speeches for the characters.
(b) Change clothes.
(c) Close their eyes.
(d) Begin speaking differently.
8. Who steers conversation at Mr. Offord's house?
(a) Mr. Offord.
(b) The narrator.
(d) The guests steer it among themselves.
9. What does Mr. Offord leave to Brooksmith when he dies?
(a) 80 pounds.
(c) 200 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
10. How does James characterize the Moreens?
11. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Build a terrace in the garden.
(b) Bring flowers to Miss Tita.
(c) Hire someone to tend the garden.
(d) Tend to the garden himself.
12. Paula and Amy Moreen are employed at _____________.
(a) Factory work.
(c) Charity work.
(d) Finding husbands.
13. What kind of people are the Monarchs, according to the main character?
(a) People who keep a lot of pets.
(b) People who think they are buying artists, not paintings.
(c) People who visit country houses.
(d) People who go to the opera to listen to the music.
14. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
(a) Mr. Walker.
(b) Mrs. Walker.
(c) Mr. Giovanelli.
(d) Daisy Miller's mother.
15. Who summons the narrator to Brooksmith's bedside when Brooksmith falls ill?
(a) A friend.
(b) Brooksmith's aunt.
(c) Brooksmith's daughter.
(d) Mr. Offord's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of Daisy Miller's death?
2. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
3. What is the Monarchs' reaction when the main character chooses Oronte and Miss Churm for the refined characters in the illustrations?
4. Who is Morgan?
5. What does Morgan urge Pemberton to do?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)