|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He refers him for a job somewhere else.
(b) He does not give Brooksmith much thought.
(c) He considers hiring him, but cannot afford it.
(d) He loans him money and helps him set up his own house.
2. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
(a) He will get paid retroactively if the Moreens make money.
(b) Morgan will know that he is working for nothing.
(c) He will be boarded and clothed for free as well.
(d) Morgan will not be told that he is working for nothing.
3. Paula and Amy Moreen are employed at _____________.
(b) Finding husbands.
(c) Factory work.
(d) Charity work.
4. Who is Mr. Giovanelli?
(a) A street urchin.
(b) A con man.
(c) An Italian lawyer.
(d) A salesman.
5. What does Morgan urge Pemberton to do?
(a) Walk out of the Moreens' house.
(b) Adopt him and raise him as his son.
(c) Take a highly-paid job with another family.
(d) Stay with him no matter the cost.
6. What is Brooksmith's role at Mr. Offord's gatherings?
(a) Hiding the affairs.
(b) Fixing drinks.
(c) Moderating discussion.
(d) Managing the servants.
7. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
8. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) They get together to help find him a new position.
(b) They think it would be wrong to hire him themselves.
(c) They ignore his requests for help or referrals.
(d) One of Mr. Offord's friends takes him in as his butler.
9. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Hire someone to tend the garden.
(b) Tend to the garden himself.
(c) Build a terrace in the garden.
(d) Bring flowers to Miss Tita.
10. What does Mrs. Moreen hold in her hands while she makes her offer to Pemberton?
(a) A checkbook.
(b) Her son.
(c) A pair of soiled gloves.
(d) Her hat.
11. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
(a) A patron of the arts.
(b) An illustrator.
(c) A model.
(d) A businessman.
12. How does James describe Pemberton?
(a) Sophisticated and smart.
(b) Brilliant and curious.
(c) Weak and ineffectual.
(d) Outgoing and gregarious.
13. Where does Brooksmith go after his mother dies?
(a) To America.
(b) To Australia.
(c) He departs on long travels.
(d) He disappears.
14. How does James characterize the Moreens?
15. Where doe Brooksmith end up finding work?
(a) In aristocratic houses.
(b) In lower-class households.
(c) In newspapers.
(d) In museums.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes for Mr. Offord?
2. What does Pemberton neglect to ask Mrs. Moreen?
3. What does Mr. Offord leave to Brooksmith when he dies?
4. What does Brooksmith enjoy about the gatherings at Mr. Offord's house?
5. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)