|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
(a) They are the only interesting figures in the pictures.
(b) They dominate the others.
(c) They drain life from the pictures.
(d) They bring life to the pictures.
2. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Aspern's wife.
(b) Miss Tita's niece.
(c) Aspern's aunt.
(d) Aspern's lover.
3. What does Morgan urge Pemberton to do?
(a) Walk out of the Moreens' house.
(b) Stay with him no matter the cost.
(c) Adopt him and raise him as his son.
(d) Take a highly-paid job with another family.
4. How does James describe Miss Churm?
(a) A fiery-tempered, red-cheeked girl.
(b) A freckled cockney girl.
(c) A dark, passionate girl.
(d) A milky-skinned, complacent girl.
5. Where doe Brooksmith end up finding work?
(a) In lower-class households.
(b) In aristocratic houses.
(c) In museums.
(d) In newspapers.
6. What is the reason for the Monarchs' insistence?
(a) They have assistance to offer.
(b) They have a lot to lose.
(c) They are the real thing.
(d) They deserve help.
7. What changes for Mr. Offord?
(a) He inherits money.
(b) He adopts Brooksmith.
(c) His health declines.
(d) He loses his memory.
8. What was Julianne Bordereau's response to the publisher's initial request?
(a) She rudely rejected him.
(b) She responded coyly.
(c) She proposed terms that were more expensive than he could afford.
(d) She started to negotiate with him.
9. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
10. How often does the narrator stop by Mr. Offord's house?
11. Where is Oronte from?
12. What is the publisher's relationship with Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Her publishes her biography.
(b) He rents a room from her.
(c) He seduces her.
(d) He rents her a room.
13. What does Mr. Offord conduct in his home?
(a) Business meetings.
(b) A reading club.
(c) Political meetings.
(d) A salon.
14. What condition does Pemberton impose on his agreement to work without pay?
(a) Morgan will know that he is working for nothing.
(b) He will be boarded and clothed for free as well.
(c) Morgan will not be told that he is working for nothing.
(d) He will get paid retroactively if the Moreens make money.
15. How does James characterize Mr. and Mrs. Monarch?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Morgan die?
2. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
3. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
4. Where does the narrator think Brooksmith is now?
5. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)