|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
(a) They bring life to the pictures.
(b) They are the only interesting figures in the pictures.
(c) They dominate the others.
(d) They drain life from the pictures.
2. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) A green eye shade.
(b) An emerald necklace.
(c) A head wrap.
(d) An ostrich-feather hat.
3. Who is Pemberton?
(a) A tutor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A student.
(d) A gentleman.
4. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) One of Mr. Offord's friends takes him in as his butler.
(b) They get together to help find him a new position.
(c) They think it would be wrong to hire him themselves.
(d) They ignore his requests for help or referrals.
5. How does James characterize the relationship between Mr. Offord and Brooksmith?
(b) Distant relations.
(c) Intimate friends.
(d) Father and son.
6. What does Daisy Miller do that gives people the idea that she and Mr. Giovanelli are engaged?
(a) Kisses him publicly.
(b) Visits his house.
(c) Spends time with him alone.
(d) Wears jewelry he gives her.
7. What does Brooksmith enjoy about the gatherings at Mr. Offord's house?
(a) Turning people away if he felt they were not worthy.
(b) Skimming from the household budget.
(c) Mingling in society.
(d) The food.
8. Where does Brooksmith go after his mother dies?
(a) To America.
(b) He departs on long travels.
(c) To Australia.
(d) He disappears.
9. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
10. Where is Oronte from?
11. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
(a) He resents them for corrupting his art.
(b) He doesn't regret it.
(c) He is profoundly sorry he cannot help them.
(d) He wishes they had never come.
12. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
13. To whom does Winterbourne defend Daisy Miller's character?
(a) Mr. Walker.
(b) Daisy Miller's mother.
(c) Mrs. Walker.
(d) Mr. Giovanelli.
14. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 1,000 francs.
(d) 100 francs.
15. How does Morgan die?
(a) From shock to find out that his parents were actually broke.
(b) From tuberculosis.
(c) From malaria.
(d) From a broken heart for what he thought was Pemberton's betrayal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brooksmith's reaction to Mr. Offord's death?
2. Where does Winterbourne encounter Daisy Miller the second time?
3. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
4. Paula and Amy Moreen are employed at _____________.
5. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)