|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James describe Brooksmith's personality?
2. How does James characterize the relationship between Morgan and Pemberton?
3. Who is Pemberton?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A student.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A gentleman.
4. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 100 francs.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 1,000 pounds.
(d) 1,000 francs.
5. What thought do Mr. Offord's friends give Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) One of Mr. Offord's friends takes him in as his butler.
(b) They ignore his requests for help or referrals.
(c) They think it would be wrong to hire him themselves.
(d) They get together to help find him a new position.
6. Where is Oronte from?
7. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Build a terrace in the garden.
(b) Bring flowers to Miss Tita.
(c) Tend to the garden himself.
(d) Hire someone to tend the garden.
8. How often does the narrator stop by Mr. Offord's house?
9. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
10. What kind of people are the Monarchs, according to the main character?
(a) People who keep a lot of pets.
(b) People who think they are buying artists, not paintings.
(c) People who visit country houses.
(d) People who go to the opera to listen to the music.
11. Who is Mr. Giovanelli?
(a) A con man.
(b) A salesman.
(c) A street urchin.
(d) An Italian lawyer.
12. What does the boy ask Winterbourne for in the garden?
(a) A book.
(b) A cube of sugar.
13. What outcome is the main character hoping his work will bring?
(a) Investors for his gallery.
(b) Commissions for portraits.
(c) A commission to illustrate a series of books.
(d) A commission to write a book.
14. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) A green eye shade.
(b) An ostrich-feather hat.
(c) An emerald necklace.
(d) A head wrap.
15. What is it that shocks Mrs. Walker about Daisy Miller's behavior?
(a) She walks with men in the street.
(b) She drinks.
(c) She smokes cigarettes.
(d) She goes out alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
2. Where does the narrator think Brooksmith is now?
3. How does James characterize the Monarchs as models?
4. How does James describe Pemberton's salary?
5. What does the narrator send to Brooksmith?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)