|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Miss Churm's relationship with the main character?
(a) She is one of his patrons.
(b) She is one of his regular models.
(c) She is one a representative from an gallery.
(d) She is one of his servants.
2. What do the Monarchs insist on in respect to the main character?
(a) They will be excellent models for him.
(b) He should sell them all of his work.
(c) He should help them present an illusion of wealth.
(d) He should paint their portraits for a low price.
3. What does Morgan urge Pemberton to do?
(a) Walk out of the Moreens' house.
(b) Stay with him no matter the cost.
(c) Adopt him and raise him as his son.
(d) Take a highly-paid job with another family.
4. Who is Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Aspern's lover.
(b) Miss Tita's niece.
(c) Aspern's wife.
(d) Aspern's aunt.
5. What does Mr. Offord leave to Brooksmith when he dies?
(a) 200 pounds.
(c) 80 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
6. What effect have the Monarchs had on the main character's art, according to Jack Hawley?
(a) They hurt it.
(b) They bring it to life.
(c) They expand it.
(d) They distract from it.
7. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
(c) High society.
(d) Art and ideas.
8. What are the main character's feelings about the episode of the Monarchs' visit?
(a) He doesn't regret it.
(b) He wishes they had never come.
(c) He resents them for corrupting his art.
(d) He is profoundly sorry he cannot help them.
9. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
(a) They will commission portraits.
(b) They are looking for their daughter.
(c) They are coming to model for him.
(d) They have come to buy paintings.
10. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
11. What is Oronte's relationship with the main character?
(a) He is one of his regular models.
(b) He is one of his patrons.
(c) He is his manservant.
(d) He is one a representative from an gallery.
12. Where does Brooksmith work after his illness?
(a) As a footman.
(b) As a stable hand.
(c) As a cook.
(d) As a waiter.
13. What is the publisher's rent?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 1,000 pounds.
(c) 100 francs.
(d) 100 pounds.
14. What is the publisher trying to get his hands on?
(a) Aspern's lover.
(b) Aspern's unpublished manuscripts.
(c) Aspern's love letters.
(d) Aspern's property.
15. What position do the Monarchs always occupy in the illustrations the main character makes?
(a) They drain life from the pictures.
(b) They dominate the others.
(c) They are the only interesting figures in the pictures.
(d) They bring life to the pictures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the Monarchs' insistence?
2. What does the publisher bring to Julianne Bordereau?
3. What was Julianne Bordereau's response to the publisher's initial request?
4. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
5. Where is Oronte from?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)