|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
(a) He found himself at home.
(b) He did not last long in any of them.
(c) He stayed permanently at the first place he could find.
(d) He had a hard time adjusting, but ultimately resigned himself.
2. Where doe Brooksmith end up finding work?
(a) In lower-class households.
(b) In newspapers.
(c) In aristocratic houses.
(d) In museums.
3. What does Brooksmith enjoy about the gatherings at Mr. Offord's house?
(a) Mingling in society.
(b) Skimming from the household budget.
(c) Turning people away if he felt they were not worthy.
(d) The food.
4. What effect have the Monarchs had on the main character's art, according to Jack Hawley?
(a) They hurt it.
(b) They expand it.
(c) They bring it to life.
(d) They distract from it.
5. What is the publisher trying to get his hands on?
(a) Aspern's property.
(b) Aspern's love letters.
(c) Aspern's lover.
(d) Aspern's unpublished manuscripts.
6. What is Brooksmith's reaction to Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He is grief-stricken.
(b) He is glad.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is guilty.
7. Who is the main character of 'The Real Thing'?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A model.
(c) An illustrator.
(d) A patron of the arts.
8. What does the publisher agree to do for Julianne Bordereau?
(a) Hire someone to tend the garden.
(b) Build a terrace in the garden.
(c) Tend to the garden himself.
(d) Bring flowers to Miss Tita.
9. What is the main character's response to this insistence?
(a) He agrees.
(b) He dismisses them.
(c) He listens without responding.
(d) He argues with them.
10. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
11. What does Mr. Offord conduct in his home?
(a) A reading club.
(b) Business meetings.
(c) Political meetings.
(d) A salon.
12. Where does Brooksmith go after his mother dies?
(a) He disappears.
(b) He departs on long travels.
(c) To America.
(d) To Australia.
13. What does Daisy Miller do that gives people the idea that she and Mr. Giovanelli are engaged?
(a) Visits his house.
(b) Spends time with him alone.
(c) Wears jewelry he gives her.
(d) Kisses him publicly.
14. What does the main character think of the Monarchs?
(a) They have come to buy paintings.
(b) They are looking for their daughter.
(c) They will commission portraits.
(d) They are coming to model for him.
15. How does James characterize the Moreens?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize Mr. and Mrs. Monarch?
2. Why does the publisher not get the papers?
3. What is Miss Churm's relationship with the main character?
4. What is discussed at Mr. Offord's home?
5. How does Morgan die?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)