|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Art of Fiction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of people are the Monarchs, according to the main character?
(a) People who keep a lot of pets.
(b) People who think they are buying artists, not paintings.
(c) People who go to the opera to listen to the music.
(d) People who visit country houses.
2. In what month is 'The Middle Years' set?
3. What quality does a premise have to have in order to be suitable for a novel, in James' opinion?
(a) It has to make new insights into the nature of human consciousness.
(b) It has to prove a moral or teach a lesson.
(c) It has to redefine the forms of all novels that came before it.
(d) It has to be rich with possibilities.
4. What was the crowd like that came to Mr. Offord's house?
(a) Mostly men.
(b) All men.
(c) Mostly women.
(d) All women.
5. Who chooses which visitors to admit to Mr. Offord's house?
(b) The narrator.
(c) Mrs. Offord.
(d) Mr. Offord.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brooksmith's role at Mr. Offord's gatherings?
2. Where does Dencombe feel he is in his life?
3. How does James characterize John Marcher's social life?
4. Who summons the narrator to Brooksmith's bedside when Brooksmith falls ill?
5. How long did stories need to be in James' time?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)