|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Art of Fiction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James say is more important than genius?
2. What does May Bartram tell John Marcher about his secret?
(a) He had misinterpreted all the important signs.
(b) Everyone knew his secret.
(c) She had always known about his secret.
(d) The event he waited for has already happened.
3. What does Dencombe say about his best books?
(a) They were his first.
(b) They have not been written yet.
(c) They are his last two books.
(d) He will never write them.
4. Which was NOT one of Mr. Besant's general laws of fiction?
(a) The story should be psychologically true if not literally true.
(b) The author should write from experience.
(c) Characters must be lifelike.
(d) Stories should have a moral purpose.
5. How does Spencer Brydon encounter the city he moves to at the beginning of 'Jolly Corner'?
(a) He finds it charming.
(b) He is repulsed by it.
(c) He is fascinated by how it has not changed.
(d) He is appalled by the changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James characterize Brooksmith' success in his new positions?
2. How does James characterize John Marcher's social life?
3. What warning does Miss Vernham give Dencombe?
4. How does James describe Brooksmith's physical appearance?
5. How does James characterize the main character's fiancee?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)