|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Jolly Corner.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the young man, whom Dencombe sees approaching, doing?
(a) Reading one of his books.
(b) Discoursing to the young girl.
(c) Reading a letter.
(d) Reading a critical review of his book.
2. What accessory does Julianne Bordereau wear in the publisher's presence?
(a) A green eye shade.
(b) An emerald necklace.
(c) An ostrich-feather hat.
(d) A head wrap.
3. What thought does the narrator give to Brooksmith after Mr. Offord's death?
(a) He refers him for a job somewhere else.
(b) He loans him money and helps him set up his own house.
(c) He considers hiring him, but cannot afford it.
(d) He does not give Brooksmith much thought.
4. Who is the main character?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A Countess.
(c) A factory girl.
(d) A telegraph operator.
5. Why does the main character refuse the fiancee's offer?
(a) She is anxious to leave her job.
(b) He cannot support her mother as well as her.
(c) It would not be respectable to move to his neighborhood.
(d) She likes being close to the upper class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house is on Jolly Corner?
2. How does James describe Pemberton?
3. Where doe Brooksmith end up finding work?
4. What does John Marcher realize he should have done?
5. What distracts Dencombe from his meditation on his own future?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)