|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rita live in Seattle?
2. What stops Rita from staying in one of the village houses?
3. How does Tu Aji feel about death?
4. What impact does Han's wound have on the group?
5. What happens during her visit to her mother in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rita use music when she is going on the trek?
2. What is Dr. Galdika like?
3. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
4. What is life like in Bali without Tu Aji?
5. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
6. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
7. What happens when the women go into a trance?
8. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
9. How does Rita feel about spirituality?
10. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What experiences does Rita have in Nicaragua that make her feel political oppression first-hand? How does it change her view of freedom?
Essay Topic 2
What does Rita think will help her integrate into other cultures? How does she prepare for integration? What does she learn through her travels about integration?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Rita, as a children's book writer, decide to write this novel? What did it take for her to get it on paper, and how does she ensure that the journey doesn't end.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)