|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
2. What kind of house does Dayu Raka have ready for Rita?
3. How does Rita furnish her home in Seattle?
4. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
5. Why are the missionaries in Irian Jaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
2. How is Rita's mother's experience after the death of Rita's father similar to Rita's experiences?
3. What happens when the women go into a trance?
4. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
5. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
6. How does Rita contribute to the household when she lives at Dayu Raka's place?
7. Describe the housing situation in which Rita, finds herself on Bali.
8. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
9. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
10. How does Rita use music when she is going on the trek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rita believes strongly in helping others wherever possible. Cite some examples of times she uses her own abilities to help others. Identify some times when others reach out to help her.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the inner workings of the orangutan camp. What do the scientists do? What does Rita do while she is there?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rita use language to get to know people in other cultures better? Does she ever run into any troubles with language? Why or why not?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)