|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rita concerned about her mother?
2. What tool changes Rita's connection to her family?
3. What kind of house does Dayu Raka have ready for Rita?
4. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
5. Where does Rita go with Dr. Galdikas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the women go into a trance?
2. How does Rita contribute to the household when she lives at Dayu Raka's place?
3. How does Rita prepare for her time in Irian Jaya?
4. What is Dr. Galdika like?
5. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
6. How is Rita's mother's experience after the death of Rita's father similar to Rita's experiences?
7. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
8. What happens to the orangutans that are pets?
9. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
10. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances that lead up to Rita's decision to travel. How does she factor in her husband? How does she factor in her children?
Essay Topic 2
Rita believes strongly in helping others wherever possible. Cite some examples of times she uses her own abilities to help others. Identify some times when others reach out to help her.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her travels, Rita discovers that she is unique not only as a nomad, but as a female nomad. How does this make her feel about herself? How does it make her feel about women in general? How does it impact women who hear her stories?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)