|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new item does Rita discover when she gets back to Kerambitan?
2. What is the treasure Tu Aji's ancestors found in the caves?
3. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
4. Who does Tu Man want to marry?
5. What concerns Rita about the children in the mountain villages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
2. What is a common problem that Rita observes in the children of the villages through which she travels?
3. What happens with Hans' wound?
4. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
5. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
6. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
7. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
8. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
9. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
10. Describe the housing situation in which Rita, finds herself on Bali.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the inner workings of the orangutan camp. What do the scientists do? What does Rita do while she is there?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rita feel about the role of women in the cultures she visits? Use examples from the entire book.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)