|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rita's favorite thing to do in Vancouver?
2. What do the spirits tell the king?
3. What is Dr. Galdikas rule regarding the forest?
4. Why do Rita's guests prepare a special dinner?
5. About what is the old woman on the bus ranting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
2. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
3. Rita visits her mom and is alarmed by her weakness. How does she react to her mother's health situation?
4. What happens with Hans' wound?
5. How does Rita use music when she is going on the trek?
6. How does Rita prepare for her time in Irian Jaya?
7. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
8. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
9. What happens when the women go into a trance?
10. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
Essay Topic 2
What does freedom mean to Rita? Offer some examples from the book that define freedom of self, freedom of religion, freedom in government, and freedom in gender or a lack of freedom in the aforementioned areas.
Essay Topic 3
What does Rita think about the spiritual experience in the cave? What message does the king get, and how does he react to it? How does the experience change the way Rita thinks about spirits?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)