|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
2. Who flies Rita to the next village visit?
3. About what is the old woman on the bus ranting?
4. What is Dr. Galdikas rule regarding the forest?
5. How long does Jan stay when she comes to Bali?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
2. Rita visits her mom and is alarmed by her weakness. How does she react to her mother's health situation?
3. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
4. What happens when the women go into a trance?
5. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
6. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
7. What news does Rita get when she is living in Seattle that makes her decide to go back to Bali?
8. How is Rita's mother's experience after the death of Rita's father similar to Rita's experiences?
9. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
10. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some ways a suppressed culture can recover? Give an example of one such culture and offer information on how the culture has been reawakened.
Essay Topic 2
How does Rita feel about the role of women in the cultures she visits? Use examples from the entire book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)