|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
2. About what is the old woman on the bus ranting?
3. What are Rita's neighbors in Vancouver like?
4. How does Dr. Galdikas treat the animals?
5. How does Tu Aji feel about death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Galdika like?
2. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
3. What news does Rita get when she is living in Seattle that makes her decide to go back to Bali?
4. What happens when the women go into a trance?
5. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
6. Describe the housing situation in which Rita, finds herself on Bali.
7. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
8. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
9. How does Rita feel about spirituality?
10. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rita use language to get to know people in other cultures better? Does she ever run into any troubles with language? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
Essay Topic 3
What are some ways a suppressed culture can recover? Give an example of one such culture and offer information on how the culture has been reawakened.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)