|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of house does Dayu Raka have ready for Rita?
2. What incredible gift does Rita discover Nyoman has?
3. What does Rita have to watch out for when she bathes?
4. What is the situation at the airport?
5. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
2. Describe the housing situation in which Rita, finds herself on Bali.
3. How does Rita prepare for her time in Irian Jaya?
4. What happens with Hans' wound?
5. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
6. What is a common problem that Rita observes in the children of the villages through which she travels?
7. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
8. What is life like in Bali without Tu Aji?
9. What is Dr. Galdika like?
10. What happens to the orangutans that are pets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some ways a suppressed culture can recover? Give an example of one such culture and offer information on how the culture has been reawakened.
Essay Topic 2
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her travels, Rita discovers that she is unique not only as a nomad, but as a female nomad. How does this make her feel about herself? How does it make her feel about women in general? How does it impact women who hear her stories?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)