|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rita leave Bali to go the United States?
2. How does Rita feel after her Irian Jaya experience?
3. Why do Rita's guests prepare a special dinner?
4. What kind of house does Dayu Raka have ready for Rita?
5. Who flies Rita to the next village visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the women go into a trance?
2. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
3. Describe the housing situation in which Rita, finds herself on Bali.
4. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
5. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
6. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
7. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
8. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
9. How does Rita use music when she is going on the trek?
10. How does Rita feel about spirituality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Rita, as a children's book writer, decide to write this novel? What did it take for her to get it on paper, and how does she ensure that the journey doesn't end.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)