|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
2. What does Rita think about Hans?
3. Irian Jaya is the western half of what?
4. With whom does Rita stay when she arrives in Bali?
5. What is a highlight of Rita's visit with Dr. Galdika?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rita use music when she is going on the trek?
2. How does Rita contribute to the household when she lives at Dayu Raka's place?
3. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
4. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
5. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
6. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
7. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
8. What happens to the orangutans that are pets?
9. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
10. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her travels, Rita discovers that she is unique not only as a nomad, but as a female nomad. How does this make her feel about herself? How does it make her feel about women in general? How does it impact women who hear her stories?
Essay Topic 2
What does freedom mean to Rita? Offer some examples from the book that define freedom of self, freedom of religion, freedom in government, and freedom in gender or a lack of freedom in the aforementioned areas.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances that lead up to Rita's decision to travel. How does she factor in her husband? How does she factor in her children?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)