|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rita's guests prepare a special dinner?
2. Why does Rita climb the mountains?
3. Of what does Rita accidentally become a part when she visits Budi?
4. What is Rita's favorite thing to do in Vancouver?
5. What does Rita have to watch out for when she bathes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
2. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
3. What news does Rita get when she is living in Seattle that makes her decide to go back to Bali?
4. How is Rita's mother's experience after the death of Rita's father similar to Rita's experiences?
5. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
6. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
7. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
8. What is life like in Bali without Tu Aji?
9. How does Rita feel about spirituality?
10. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rita believes strongly in helping others wherever possible. Cite some examples of times she uses her own abilities to help others. Identify some times when others reach out to help her.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
Essay Topic 3
What does Rita think about the spiritual experience in the cave? What message does the king get, and how does he react to it? How does the experience change the way Rita thinks about spirits?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)