|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rita go with Dr. Galdikas?
2. What do three men throw into the water?
3. Why is Rita concerned about her mother?
4. How does Rita feel after her Irian Jaya experience?
5. How much interaction does Rita have with Dr. Galdikas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
2. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
3. How is Rita's mother's experience after the death of Rita's father similar to Rita's experiences?
4. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
5. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
6. Describe the housing situation in which Rita, finds herself on Bali.
7. What is a common problem that Rita observes in the children of the villages through which she travels?
8. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
9. How does Rita feel about spirituality?
10. What happens with Hans' wound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of Rita's friends think that she is running away. Why do they believe this? How does she really feel? How does this show?
Essay Topic 2
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)