|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Rita accidentally become a part when she visits Budi?
2. What happens to the baby with whom they travel ?
3. What do Jan and Rita think about spirits after their experience?
4. What do the spirits tell the king?
5. Who dies shortly after Tu Nini?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
2. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
3. How does Rita use music when she is going on the trek?
4. How does Rita prepare for her time in Irian Jaya?
5. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
6. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
7. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
8. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
9. What news does Rita get when she is living in Seattle that makes her decide to go back to Bali?
10. Rita visits her mom and is alarmed by her weakness. How does she react to her mother's health situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name three different types of homes Rita encounters on her travels. Compare and contrast the dwellings.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances that lead up to Rita's decision to travel. How does she factor in her husband? How does she factor in her children?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)