|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rita concerned about her mother?
2. What are Rita's neighbors in Vancouver like?
3. What bothers Rita when she thinks of dying in Bali?
4. How does Rita feel about her traveling with the tour?
5. What incredible gift does Rita discover Nyoman has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rita visits her mom and is alarmed by her weakness. How does she react to her mother's health situation?
2. What happens when the women go into a trance?
3. What happens with Hans' wound?
4. What is a common problem that Rita observes in the children of the villages through which she travels?
5. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
6. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
7. What is life like in Bali without Tu Aji?
8. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
9. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
10. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a common theme in this book. How does Rita feel about it? Give examples of some of the religious experiences Rita encounters throughout her travels.
Essay Topic 3
How does Rita feel about the role of women in the cultures she visits? Use examples from the entire book.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)