|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rita feel after her Irian Jaya experience?
2. How does Rita furnish her home in Seattle?
3. What does Rita think about Hans?
4. Why does the family think Tu Nini is dying?
5. Who flies Rita to the next village visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
2. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
3. What is a common problem that Rita observes in the children of the villages through which she travels?
4. What happens when the women go into a trance?
5. How does Rita contribute to the household when she lives at Dayu Raka's place?
6. What happens to the orangutans that are pets?
7. What happens to the book Rita writes about the orangutan experience?
8. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
9. Rita visits her mom and is alarmed by her weakness. How does she react to her mother's health situation?
10. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
Essay Topic 2
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
Essay Topic 3
Describe several different experiences Rita has with Christianity. What are some of her negative experiences with it? What are some of her positive experiences with it?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)