|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the plane lands on a different island than the one where Rita thinks she is staying, how does she react?
2. Who does Rita imagine she sees when looking out over the plaza toward the Temple of the Inscriptions?
3. What bothers Rita when her wallet is stolen?
4. What does Rita feel as if she stepped into when she visits the Druse?
5. When Rita goes to the Galapagos, how many years is it since she has been in Mexico City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rita feel about living in Guatemala?
2. What is happening in Rita's marriage?
3. How does Rita feel about her life after traveling on her own for three years?
4. Why is Rita interested in visiting Israel?
5. How does Servas work?
6. Why does Rita decide to travel, and why does she go alone?
7. How do the Indonesians feel about their elderly?
8. How does Rita get along with the security guard?
9. Describe Rita's life with her husband.
10. How does Rita celebrate her birthday in Guatemala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does freedom mean to Rita? Offer some examples from the book that define freedom of self, freedom of religion, freedom in government, and freedom in gender or a lack of freedom in the aforementioned areas.
Essay Topic 2
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
Essay Topic 3
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)