Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
2. What do the children ask Rita to do?
3. What does Rita feel as if she is running towards?
4. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
5. What is the first thing Rita does when she arrives at her house in Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
2. How does Rita feel when she decides to go on a vacation to Thailand?
3. What is happening in Rita's marriage?
4. What happens to the orangutans that are pets?
5. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
6. What is the economic climate like in Bali?
7. What news does Rita get when she is living in Seattle that makes her decide to go back to Bali?
8. What is Rita's experience like when she goes to Quibuto?
9. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
10. How does Rita feel about communal cooking in Thailand?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her travels, Rita discovers that she is unique not only as a nomad, but as a female nomad. How does this make her feel about herself? How does it make her feel about women in general? How does it impact women who hear her stories?
Essay Topic 2
What does freedom mean to Rita? Offer some examples from the book that define freedom of self, freedom of religion, freedom in government, and freedom in gender or a lack of freedom in the aforementioned areas.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)