|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rita goes to the Mayor to obtain permission to go where?
2. What happens to Rita's marriage?
3. How do women react when Rita talks about her travels?
4. What does Rita learn how to make at Mama's?
5. How does Rita feel after she leaves Nicaragua?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Juanita's connection to California?
2. What is Rita's experience like when she goes to Quibuto?
3. What is the political situation like in Nicaragua?
4. How is Rita connected to the military when she visits the Galapagos?
5. What does Rita feel about living in Guatemala?
6. How does Rita feel about her life after traveling on her own for three years?
7. What does Rita discover about her lifestyle when she goes to her high school reunion?
8. What does Rita think of the Mayan city?
9. Why does Rita decide to travel, and why does she go alone?
10. How does Rita get along with the security guard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Rita, as a children's book writer, decide to write this novel? What did it take for her to get it on paper, and how does she ensure that the journey doesn't end.
Essay Topic 2
What does Rita think will help her integrate into other cultures? How does she prepare for integration? What does she learn through her travels about integration?
Essay Topic 3
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)