|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the captain want to go to Tower Island?
2. With whom does Rita travel to the ceremony?
3. Who greets Rita at the airport when she arrives home?
4. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
5. How does Rita feel as she goes down the street in San Salvador?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Rita's marriage?
2. What is Juanita's connection to California?
3. How are women treated in the communities Rita visits in Israel?
4. How does Rita feel about going home?
5. What is Rita's experience like when she goes to Quibuto?
6. How does Rita feel after she returns from the Galapagos?
7. How does Rita feel about her life after traveling on her own for three years?
8. Why is Rita interested in visiting Israel?
9. How does Rita celebrate her birthday in Guatemala?
10. How does Rita end up as a hitchhiker on a 20-person luxury cruise ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Rita think will help her integrate into other cultures? How does she prepare for integration? What does she learn through her travels about integration?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rita use language to get to know people in other cultures better? Does she ever run into any troubles with language? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances that lead up to Rita's decision to travel. How does she factor in her husband? How does she factor in her children?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)