|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
2. With whom does Rita travel to the ceremony?
3. How long does Rita want to stay in the Zapotec village?
4. Who visits Rita while she is in Galapagos?
5. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Rita's marriage?
2. What is the Traveler's Network like?
3. How does Rita get along with the security guard?
4. What sort of reception does Rita get when she stays in the Zapotec village?
5. What does Rita discover about her lifestyle when she goes to her high school reunion?
6. Why does Rita decide to go to Indonesia?
7. How does Rita end up as a hitchhiker on a 20-person luxury cruise ship?
8. How are women treated in the communities Rita visits in Israel?
9. How does Rita feel after she returns from the Galapagos?
10. What is the political situation like in Nicaragua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Rita, as a children's book writer, decide to write this novel? What did it take for her to get it on paper, and how does she ensure that the journey doesn't end.
Essay Topic 2
What does Rita think about the spiritual experience in the cave? What message does the king get, and how does he react to it? How does the experience change the way Rita thinks about spirits?
Essay Topic 3
What does freedom mean to Rita? Offer some examples from the book that define freedom of self, freedom of religion, freedom in government, and freedom in gender or a lack of freedom in the aforementioned areas.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)