|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Rita want to stay in the Zapotec village?
2. Who does Rita imagine she sees when looking out over the plaza toward the Temple of the Inscriptions?
3. What does Rita do for her 49th birthday?
4. What does Rita brush up on before leaving for Indonesia?
5. Rita goes to the Mayor to obtain permission to go where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
2. What is a linguistic problem that Rita faces in Thailand, and how does she overcome it?
3. How does Rita celebrate her birthday in Guatemala?
4. How does Rita end up as a hitchhiker on a 20-person luxury cruise ship?
5. What is the Traveler's Network like?
6. How does Rita feel about going home?
7. What does Rita discover about her lifestyle when she goes to her high school reunion?
8. Why is Rita interested in visiting Israel?
9. Describe Rita's life with her husband.
10. How does Rita prepare for her time in Irian Jaya?
Essay Topic 1
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
Essay Topic 2
What does Rita think about the spiritual experience in the cave? What message does the king get, and how does he react to it? How does the experience change the way Rita thinks about spirits?
Essay Topic 3
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)