|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita do for her 49th birthday?
2. Rita loses her position because the boss thinks what?
3. Where does Rita go on her first full day in Mexico City?
4. What makes Ruth decide to have Rita as a guest?
5. When does Rita feel very connected with the women in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Indonesians feel about their elderly?
2. How does Rita feel after she returns from the Galapagos?
3. What is the political situation like in Nicaragua?
4. How does Rita get along with the security guard?
5. How are women treated in the communities Rita visits in Israel?
6. What sort of reception does Rita get when she stays in the Zapotec village?
7. Why is Rita interested in visiting Israel?
8. How is Rita connected to the military when she visits the Galapagos?
9. Why does Rita decide to go to Indonesia?
10. How does Rita end up as a hitchhiker on a 20-person luxury cruise ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her travels, Rita discovers that she is unique not only as a nomad, but as a female nomad. How does this make her feel about herself? How does it make her feel about women in general? How does it impact women who hear her stories?
Essay Topic 2
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Rita, as a children's book writer, decide to write this novel? What did it take for her to get it on paper, and how does she ensure that the journey doesn't end.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)