|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
2. How does Rita get to the Zapotec village?
3. Who visits Rita while she is in Galapagos?
4. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
5. What is Rita's life like with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rita celebrate her birthday in Guatemala?
2. What sort of reception does Rita get when she stays in the Zapotec village?
3. What is the political situation like in Nicaragua?
4. What is happening in Rita's marriage?
5. How is Rita connected to the military when she visits the Galapagos?
6. How does Servas work?
7. How does Rita end up as a hitchhiker on a 20-person luxury cruise ship?
8. How does Rita get along with the security guard?
9. Why does Rita decide to travel, and why does she go alone?
10. What is the Traveler's Network like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe different ways that Rita shows respect for the people she meets in her travels. How do they show respect for her? How does she show respect for her family? How does her family show respect for her?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rita use language to get to know people in other cultures better? Does she ever run into any troubles with language? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Rita, as a children's book writer, decide to write this novel? What did it take for her to get it on paper, and how does she ensure that the journey doesn't end.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)