Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
2. What do the children ask Rita to do?
3. What does Rita feel as if she is running towards?
4. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
5. What is the first thing Rita does when she arrives at her house in Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be the benefits of having a telephone in Kerambitan?
2. How does Rita feel when she decides to go on a vacation to Thailand?
3. What is happening in Rita's marriage?
4. What happens to the orangutans that are pets?
5. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
6. What is the economic climate like in Bali?
7. What news does Rita get when she is living in Seattle that makes her decide to go back to Bali?
8. What is Rita's experience like when she goes to Quibuto?
9. What is Tu Man's relationship with Jan?
10. How does Rita feel about communal cooking in Thailand?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
Essay Topic 2
Some of Rita's friends think that she is running away. Why do they believe this? How does she really feel? How does this show?
Essay Topic 3
What experiences does Rita have in Nicaragua that make her feel political oppression first-hand? How does it change her view of freedom?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)