|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rita feel as she goes down the street in San Salvador?
2. What do the children ask Rita to do?
3. How long does Rita want to stay in the Zapotec village?
4. The school makes arrangements for Rita to stay where?
5. What does Rita inadvertently do to her landlady?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Indonesians feel about their elderly?
2. Why doesn't Rita stay in Rotorua?
3. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
4. What is Dr. Galdika like?
5. How does Servas work?
6. How are women treated in the communities Rita visits in Israel?
7. What is it that Rita does not like about Hans?
8. How does Rita go about teaching English to the children?
9. What does Rita discover about her lifestyle when she goes to her high school reunion?
10. How does Rita feel about cooking with the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the caste system in Bali. How does this compare to the life with which Rita has been familiar in Los Angeles? Why does she accept it at first? What makes her want to leave it?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a common theme in this book. How does Rita feel about it? Give examples of some of the religious experiences Rita encounters throughout her travels.
Essay Topic 3
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)