|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Felipe teaches Rita how to negotiate what?
2. How many days pass before the women in the village (aside from Margarita) begin to talk with Rita?
3. Who teaches Rita Indonesian?
4. What does Rita say her profession is?
5. What bothers Rita when her wallet is stolen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of reception does Rita get when she stays in the Zapotec village?
2. How does Rita feel about communal cooking in Thailand?
3. How does Rita feel when she decides to go on a vacation to Thailand?
4. What is happening in Rita's marriage?
5. What is Dr. Galdika like?
6. Why doesn't Rita stay in Rotorua?
7. What is a linguistic problem that Rita faces in Thailand, and how does she overcome it?
8. What does Rita discover about her lifestyle when she goes to her high school reunion?
9. How does Servas work?
10. What do Jan and Rita think about the experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Rita think about the spiritual experience in the cave? What message does the king get, and how does he react to it? How does the experience change the way Rita thinks about spirits?
Essay Topic 2
What experiences does Rita have in Nicaragua that make her feel political oppression first-hand? How does it change her view of freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Rita frequently addresses the subject of food throughout her travels. Give a minimum of two examples from the book when communal cooking makes a big impact on Rita. Explain what she gets out of each particular experience.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)