|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rita's relationship with Tu Aji?
(a) There is outright animosity between them.
(b) They are polite but distant to each other.
(c) They become very close friends.
(d) They are lovers.
2. What does Tu Nini do before she dies?
(a) She cleans the house.
(b) She writes a letter.
(c) She calls all her closest friends and relatives in to say goodbye.
(d) She asks for permission to die.
3. What job does Rita do while living in Dayu Raka's house?
(a) She drives the car for the family.
(b) She is a fill-in nurse.
(c) She teaches children daily.
(d) She translates for the museum.
4. What happens after they take Tu Nini to the healer?
(a) She becomes sicker at first, then heals miraculously.
(b) She dies the next day.
(c) She slowly begins to get better.
(d) She is instantly healed.
5. What is a highlight of Rita's visit with Dr. Galdika?
(a) Writing in the jungle.
(b) A boat ride and walk with Dr. Galdika's husband.
(c) Feeding the animals.
(d) Writing in the marsh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rita live in Seattle?
2. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
3. What does Rita realize when she goes to pay for her store purchases?
4. What happens to the baby with whom they travel ?
5. How do Rita's children react to her living near them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rita visits her mom and is alarmed by her weakness. How does she react to her mother's health situation?
2. What is Dr. Galdika like?
3. How does Rita feel about the hierarchy of the island?
4. Why does the group travel so far to visit the villagers who live in the trees?
5. What happens when the women go into a trance?
6. Why does Rita move to Vancouver?
7. Describe the treasures that Tu Aji's ancestors found in the cave.
8. What is a common problem that Rita observes in the children of the villages through which she travels?
9. What news does Rita get when she is living in Seattle that makes her decide to go back to Bali?
10. Describe Rita's house in Vancouver.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)