|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What response does Rita get when she asks about life in El Salvador?
(a) She is told that the living standards are rapidly improving.
(b) She is told that it is a modern Utopia.
(c) She is told that it is difficult, but improving.
(d) She is told that they will talk inside the truck where no one can hear them.
2. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
(a) She makes a meal for her host family.
(b) She swims across the river.
(c) She creates a beautiful necklace.
(d) She climbs the mountain.
3. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
(a) Two strange men from England.
(b) A teacher from the Spanish school.
(c) A woman she meets while in the museum.
(d) A travel agent.
4. Who accompanies them into Nicaragua?
(a) A priest.
(b) Some old friends.
(c) Some new friends.
(d) Two soldiers.
5. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
(a) She is completely free to do whatever she wants.
(b) She has no friends.
(c) She misses her husband.
(d) She has no concept of safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rita and her husband decide to do?
2. With whom does Rita travel to the ceremony?
3. How does Rita get to the Zapotec village?
4. Of what is the author afraid at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. Who leads the group to Tower Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of reception does Rita get when she stays in the Zapotec village?
2. How does Rita feel about cooking with the women?
3. How does Rita feel about her life after traveling on her own for three years?
4. What is Juanita's connection to California?
5. What is Rita's experience like when she goes to Quibuto?
6. How is Rita connected to the military when she visits the Galapagos?
7. How do the Indonesians feel about their elderly?
8. What does Rita discover about her lifestyle when she goes to her high school reunion?
9. Why does Rita decide to go to Indonesia?
10. How does Rita get along with the security guard?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)