|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rita climb the mountains?
(a) She wants to prove that she can.
(b) She wants to see the country from a high point.
(c) She loves exercising.
(d) She wants to meet the people who live in the mountains.
2. What does the telegram Rita receives tell her?
(a) The villagers are holding a celebration in her honor.
(b) Her book has made the NY Times bestseller list.
(c) There is a disease in the village.
(d) Tu Aji has died.
3. What does Rita realize when she goes to pay for her store purchases?
(a) They should have charged her more.
(b) She still has money from Bali.
(c) Prices are extremely high.
(d) She has left her wallet at home.
4. What does Tu Nini do before she dies?
(a) She cleans the house.
(b) She writes a letter.
(c) She asks for permission to die.
(d) She calls all her closest friends and relatives in to say goodbye.
5. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
(a) With music.
(b) By offering expensive gifts.
(c) Through language lessons.
(d) By helping with the cooking.
6. What do three men throw into the water?
(a) Animal sacrifices.
7. What do Jan and Rita think about spirits after their experience?
(a) They are fearful of spirits.
(b) They think spirits are bogus.
(c) They believe in spirits.
(d) They scoff at the idea of spirits.
8. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
(b) Stamp collecting.
9. Why does the family think Tu Nini is dying?
(a) She is starving herself.
(b) She is old.
(c) Black magic.
(d) She has eaten contaminated food.
10. How does Rita help the wives?
(a) She helps with gardening.
(b) She teaches them English.
(c) She shops for them.
(d) She watches the children.
11. What does Rita have to watch out for when she bathes?
(b) Mud slides.
(d) Parasitic worms.
12. What happens to the baby with whom they travel ?
(a) It makes Rita miss her children.
(b) It is injured, and Rita helps it.
(c) It keeps them all laughing.
(d) It dies.
13. What impact does Han's wound have on the group?
(a) It keeps them up all night, caring for it.
(b) They don't care what happens to him.
(c) They feel horrible for him.
(d) It is infected so they have to stop their travels immediately.
14. What does Rita think of sago, the main food staple of the tree village?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She asks for the recipe.
(c) She spits it out.
(d) She thinks it is dry and flavorless, but eats it anyway.
15. How does Rita feel after the ceremony?
(a) She is horrified that this might happen to her.
(b) She is disgusted.
(c) She much prefers the burials back home.
(d) It feels natural to celebrate the spirit moving on.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irian Jaya is the western half of what?
2. Why is Rita concerned about her mother?
3. What is a highlight of Rita's visit with Dr. Galdika?
4. How does Dr. Galdikas treat the animals?
5. How does Tu Aji feel about death?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)