|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Rita stay in Bali?
(a) One year.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Eight years.
2. What new item does Rita discover when she gets back to Kerambitan?
(a) Grocery stores.
3. What job does Rita do while living in Dayu Raka's house?
(a) She drives the car for the family.
(b) She translates for the museum.
(c) She is a fill-in nurse.
(d) She teaches children daily.
4. Why does Rita climb the mountains?
(a) She wants to prove that she can.
(b) She wants to meet the people who live in the mountains.
(c) She wants to see the country from a high point.
(d) She loves exercising.
5. What tool changes Rita's connection to her family?
(a) They use instant cameras to share candid images.
(b) She can telegraph the family.
(c) She gets Internet access.
(d) The family starts visiting her more.
6. What do the spirits tell the king?
(a) He is doing a wonderful job ruling.
(b) He is too autocratic.
(c) He is not fulfilling his responsibilities to the family.
(d) He is going to die soon.
7. Where does Rita plan to travel after Bali?
(a) She is going to Europe.
(b) She is going to travel through the eastern United States.
(c) She is going to travel through the western United States.
(d) She is going to trek in the mountains of Irian Jaya.
8. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
(b) Stamp collecting.
9. What is missing from Rita's life after she returns to Bali?
(d) Good food.
10. What does Rita realize when she goes to pay for her store purchases?
(a) She has left her wallet at home.
(b) Prices are extremely high.
(c) She still has money from Bali.
(d) They should have charged her more.
11. What does Rita think of sago, the main food staple of the tree village?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She thinks it is dry and flavorless, but eats it anyway.
(c) She asks for the recipe.
(d) She spits it out.
12. Of what does Rita accidentally become a part when she visits Budi?
(a) A religious ritual.
(b) A parade.
(c) A birthday celebration.
(d) A swim lesson.
13. What happens to the baby with whom they travel ?
(a) It keeps them all laughing.
(b) It makes Rita miss her children.
(c) It dies.
(d) It is injured, and Rita helps it.
14. Why does the family think Tu Nini is dying?
(a) She is old.
(b) Black magic.
(c) She is starving herself.
(d) She has eaten contaminated food.
15. How do Rita's children react to her living near them?
(a) They stop in if she begs them to do so.
(b) They visit her frequently and ask her to move closer to them.
(c) They smother her with their nurturing.
(d) They resent her intrusion in their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Rita attribute her desire to leave Bali?
2. How does Tu Aji feel about death?
3. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
4. Irian Jaya is the western half of what?
5. Why does Rita leave Bali to go the United States?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)