|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rita plan to travel after Bali?
(a) She is going to trek in the mountains of Irian Jaya.
(b) She is going to Europe.
(c) She is going to travel through the eastern United States.
(d) She is going to travel through the western United States.
2. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
(a) Stamp collecting.
3. To what does Rita attribute her desire to leave Bali?
(a) She wants to get away from all the palace gossip.
(b) The women are mean to her.
(c) The people are beginning to bother her.
(d) Her prince is gone.
4. About what is the old woman on the bus ranting?
(a) She thinkgs the transportation system is abysmal.
(b) She doesn't have money for medicine.
(c) She thinks the other riders are rude.
(d) She hates commercialism.
5. Why does Rita leave Bali to go the United States?
(a) To check on her mother.
(b) She is tired of Bali.
(c) She doesn't want to be reminded of Tu Nini.
(d) She wants to get an apartment.
6. What are Rita's neighbors in Vancouver like?
(a) They stay to themselves.
(b) They are very welcoming and generous.
(c) They are cantankerous.
(d) They are overbearing.
7. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
(a) She is very out of shape.
(b) She doesn't like new experiences.
(c) She isn't comfortable with the guide.
(d) Her companions make her nervous.
8. How does Rita help the wives?
(a) She helps with gardening.
(b) She watches the children.
(c) She teaches them English.
(d) She shops for them.
9. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
(a) By helping with the cooking.
(b) By offering expensive gifts.
(c) With music.
(d) Through language lessons.
10. How does Tu Aji feel about death?
(a) He is ready to face the next world.
(b) He wants more time on earth.
(c) He is afraid of death.
(d) He resents the fact that he must someday die.
11. What impact does Han's wound have on the group?
(a) It keeps them up all night, caring for it.
(b) It is infected so they have to stop their travels immediately.
(c) They don't care what happens to him.
(d) They feel horrible for him.
12. Where does Rita go with Dr. Galdikas?
(a) They stay at the Blue Kecubung together.
(b) The swamp.
(c) To study slugs.
(d) The orangutan camp.
13. How long does Jan stay when she comes to Bali?
(a) Four months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year.
14. What does Rita think about her house in Vancouver?
(a) It will do for the time being. It's better than nothing.
(b) She loves it, and she is quickly ready to entertain.
(c) She decides she'd rather live in an apartment.
(d) She can't wait to leave it.
15. What does the telegram Rita receives tell her?
(a) There is a disease in the village.
(b) Her book has made the NY Times bestseller list.
(c) The villagers are holding a celebration in her honor.
(d) Tu Aji has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during her visit to her mother in the United States?
2. How much interaction does Rita have with Dr. Galdikas?
3. What new item does Rita discover when she gets back to Kerambitan?
4. Irian Jaya is the western half of what?
5. Who does Tu Man want to marry?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)