|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rita think of sago, the main food staple of the tree village?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She spits it out.
(c) She thinks it is dry and flavorless, but eats it anyway.
(d) She asks for the recipe.
2. Why is Rita concerned about her mother?
(a) Her mother's Parkinson's is getting worse.
(b) Her mother is depressed after the death of her husband.
(c) Her mother has Alzheimer's.
(d) Her mother has fallen and broken her hip.
3. What happens after they take Tu Nini to the healer?
(a) She dies the next day.
(b) She becomes sicker at first, then heals miraculously.
(c) She is instantly healed.
(d) She slowly begins to get better.
4. What is the situation at the airport?
(a) The flights are leaving early.
(b) The airport is chaotic.
(c) Flights are slightly delayed.
(d) No flights are going out that day.
5. Where does Rita live in Seattle?
(a) In a house she buys.
(b) With her son.
(c) In an apartment overlooking a lake.
(d) With her daughter.
6. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
(d) Stamp collecting.
7. Why does the family think Tu Nini is dying?
(a) She has eaten contaminated food.
(b) She is old.
(c) Black magic.
(d) She is starving herself.
8. What is Dr. Galdikas like?
(a) She challenges everyone around her to think.
(b) She is a very difficult person with whom to work.
(c) She is very easy-going.
(d) She is very prompt and detailed.
9. How does Rita help the wives?
(a) She teaches them English.
(b) She watches the children.
(c) She helps with gardening.
(d) She shops for them.
10. How does Rita feel after the ceremony?
(a) She is disgusted.
(b) It feels natural to celebrate the spirit moving on.
(c) She much prefers the burials back home.
(d) She is horrified that this might happen to her.
11. What happens during her visit to her mother in the United States?
(a) The hired help quits.
(b) Her daughter is in a car accident.
(c) Her mother dies.
(d) Her son gets engaged.
12. What new item does Rita discover when she gets back to Kerambitan?
(b) Grocery stores.
13. Who flies Rita to the next village visit?
(a) A retired naval officer.
(b) A missionary.
(c) A local with a rudimentary license.
(d) A friend of one of her fellow travelers.
14. How does Rita feel after her Irian Jaya experience?
(a) She is now physically and mentally in shape.
(c) She has discovered that she loves group travel.
(d) Physically drained, and she discovers that she prefers traveling alone.
15. What incredible gift does Rita discover Nyoman has?
(a) He is very good with animals.
(b) He's a terrific chef.
(c) He's an incredible sculptor.
(d) He has a real gift for language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Rita from staying in one of the village houses?
2. How do Rita's children react to her living near them?
3. What do Jan and Rita think about spirits after their experience?
4. What does Rita realize when she goes to pay for her store purchases?
5. What kind of house does Dayu Raka have ready for Rita?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)