|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the king treat the woman who gives him the message from the spirits?
(a) He treats her normally. It isn't she who gives the message, she is just the vessel through whom the spirits speak.
(b) He has her whipped.
(c) He has her honored for bringing such good news.
(d) He has her killed.
2. What bothers Rita when she thinks of dying in Bali?
(a) She doesn't want to be buried without a tombstone.
(b) She doesn't want to be cremated.
(c) She doesn't want the villagers peering at her naked corpse.
(d) She doesn't want to die so far from her home.
3. What does Rita think of sago, the main food staple of the tree village?
(a) She asks for the recipe.
(b) She thinks it is dry and flavorless, but eats it anyway.
(c) She loves it.
(d) She spits it out.
4. To what does Rita attribute her desire to leave Bali?
(a) The people are beginning to bother her.
(b) Her prince is gone.
(c) She wants to get away from all the palace gossip.
(d) The women are mean to her.
5. How does Rita feel after her Irian Jaya experience?
(a) She is now physically and mentally in shape.
(c) Physically drained, and she discovers that she prefers traveling alone.
(d) She has discovered that she loves group travel.
6. Rita attends what type of ceremony?
7. What job does Rita do while living in Dayu Raka's house?
(a) She teaches children daily.
(b) She drives the car for the family.
(c) She translates for the museum.
(d) She is a fill-in nurse.
8. Where does Rita live in Seattle?
(a) In an apartment overlooking a lake.
(b) With her son.
(c) In a house she buys.
(d) With her daughter.
9. What incredible gift does Rita discover Nyoman has?
(a) He's an incredible sculptor.
(b) He has a real gift for language.
(c) He is very good with animals.
(d) He's a terrific chef.
10. What is a highlight of Rita's visit with Dr. Galdika?
(a) Writing in the marsh.
(b) Writing in the jungle.
(c) Feeding the animals.
(d) A boat ride and walk with Dr. Galdika's husband.
11. How do Rita's children react to her living near them?
(a) They visit her frequently and ask her to move closer to them.
(b) They resent her intrusion in their lives.
(c) They stop in if she begs them to do so.
(d) They smother her with their nurturing.
12. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
(a) She doesn't like new experiences.
(b) She isn't comfortable with the guide.
(c) Her companions make her nervous.
(d) She is very out of shape.
13. How does Rita furnish her home in Seattle?
(a) With furnishings from Goodwill.
(b) With furniture her children discard.
(c) She decides to live without furnishings.
(d) She goes on a shopping spree on President's Day weekend.
14. Bali is noted for all the following except what?
15. What do Jan and Rita think about spirits after their experience?
(a) They believe in spirits.
(b) They are fearful of spirits.
(c) They scoff at the idea of spirits.
(d) They think spirits are bogus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after they take Tu Nini to the healer?
2. How does Rita feel after she goes back to Bali?
3. Where does Rita go with Dr. Galdikas?
4. What is the situation at the airport?
5. What is missing from Rita's life after she returns to Bali?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)