|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Rita's children react to her living near them?
(a) They resent her intrusion in their lives.
(b) They smother her with their nurturing.
(c) They visit her frequently and ask her to move closer to them.
(d) They stop in if she begs them to do so.
2. With whom does Rita stay when she arrives in Bali?
(a) A prince.
(b) A friend she had met in previous travels.
(c) The owner of a bed and breakfast.
(d) A friend of her son.
3. What happens after they take Tu Nini to the healer?
(a) She is instantly healed.
(b) She slowly begins to get better.
(c) She dies the next day.
(d) She becomes sicker at first, then heals miraculously.
4. Who flies Rita to the next village visit?
(a) A missionary.
(b) A retired naval officer.
(c) A local with a rudimentary license.
(d) A friend of one of her fellow travelers.
5. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
(a) She is very out of shape.
(b) She isn't comfortable with the guide.
(c) Her companions make her nervous.
(d) She doesn't like new experiences.
6. What incredible gift does Rita discover Nyoman has?
(a) He's an incredible sculptor.
(b) He's a terrific chef.
(c) He is very good with animals.
(d) He has a real gift for language.
7. What does Rita think about Hans?
(a) She distrusts him.
(b) They become immediate friends.
(c) She thinks they can become good friends over time.
(d) She dislikes him immediately.
8. Who does Tu Man want to marry?
(b) A neighbor.
(d) His cousin.
9. Where does Rita go with Dr. Galdikas?
(a) The orangutan camp.
(b) They stay at the Blue Kecubung together.
(c) The swamp.
(d) To study slugs.
10. How long does Rita stay in Bali?
(a) One year.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Eight years.
11. What does Rita think about her house in Vancouver?
(a) She can't wait to leave it.
(b) She decides she'd rather live in an apartment.
(c) She loves it, and she is quickly ready to entertain.
(d) It will do for the time being. It's better than nothing.
12. What does Rita want to do when she leaves Bali in 1997?
(a) She wants to be near her children in Seattle.
(b) She wants to stop traveling and live in the United States.
(c) She wants to be near her children in New York.
(d) She wants to go back to Israel.
13. What stops Rita from staying in one of the village houses?
(a) The people are very ill.
(b) She doesn't like the atmosphere in the village.
(c) She would have to climb up a tree.
(d) The inhabitants scare her away.
14. What does Rita realize when she goes to pay for her store purchases?
(a) They should have charged her more.
(b) Prices are extremely high.
(c) She still has money from Bali.
(d) She has left her wallet at home.
15. Of what does Rita accidentally become a part when she visits Budi?
(a) A parade.
(b) A swim lesson.
(c) A religious ritual.
(d) A birthday celebration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rita concerned about her mother?
2. About what is the old woman on the bus ranting?
3. What does Tu Nini do before she dies?
4. Where does Rita live in Seattle?
5. What happens during her visit to her mother in the United States?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)