|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
(a) By helping with the cooking.
(b) With music.
(c) By offering expensive gifts.
(d) Through language lessons.
2. Why does Rita climb the mountains?
(a) She loves exercising.
(b) She wants to prove that she can.
(c) She wants to see the country from a high point.
(d) She wants to meet the people who live in the mountains.
3. Why does the group travel through swamps and trees?
(a) Rita wants to go somewhere the missionaries haven't gone.
(b) Someone from the area has called for them.
(c) It's good exercise.
(d) They like the adventure.
4. What happens to the baby with whom they travel ?
(a) It keeps them all laughing.
(b) It dies.
(c) It is injured, and Rita helps it.
(d) It makes Rita miss her children.
5. Why is Rita concerned about her trek?
(a) She isn't comfortable with the guide.
(b) She doesn't like new experiences.
(c) She is very out of shape.
(d) Her companions make her nervous.
6. How does Dr. Galdikas treat the animals?
(a) She is rough with them in Rita's opinion.
(b) She is abrupt with them.
(c) Sweetly as if they are her babies.
(d) She doesn't interact with them at all. She just observes them.
7. How does Tu Aji feel about death?
(a) He is afraid of death.
(b) He resents the fact that he must someday die.
(c) He is ready to face the next world.
(d) He wants more time on earth.
8. Rita attends what type of ceremony?
9. What new item does Rita discover when she gets back to Kerambitan?
(b) Grocery stores.
10. What job does Rita do while living in Dayu Raka's house?
(a) She teaches children daily.
(b) She drives the car for the family.
(c) She is a fill-in nurse.
(d) She translates for the museum.
11. What miracle happens to Rita?
(a) She is healed after a sudden illness.
(b) The clouds lift so her flight can leave.
(c) She is able to get food to the children.
(d) She has a vision for the future of the tribe.
12. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
(d) Stamp collecting.
13. What does the telegram Rita receives tell her?
(a) The villagers are holding a celebration in her honor.
(b) Her book has made the NY Times bestseller list.
(c) There is a disease in the village.
(d) Tu Aji has died.
14. What bothers Rita when she thinks of dying in Bali?
(a) She doesn't want to be cremated.
(b) She doesn't want to be buried without a tombstone.
(c) She doesn't want to die so far from her home.
(d) She doesn't want the villagers peering at her naked corpse.
15. Who dies shortly after Tu Nini?
(a) The king.
(b) Tu Biang.
(d) Rita's dad.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Rita attribute her desire to leave Bali?
2. How does Rita feel after she goes back to Bali?
3. Why do Rita's guests prepare a special dinner?
4. What does Rita think of sago, the main food staple of the tree village?
5. How does Rita furnish her home in Seattle?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)