|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rita have to watch out for when she bathes?
(b) Mud slides.
(d) Parasitic worms.
2. Why are the missionaries in Irian Jaya?
(a) They want to give the people religion in their own tribal language.
(b) They want to educate the villagers.
(c) They like to travel.
(d) They want to feed the villagers.
3. What tool changes Rita's connection to her family?
(a) They use instant cameras to share candid images.
(b) She gets Internet access.
(c) She can telegraph the family.
(d) The family starts visiting her more.
4. What do Jan and Rita think about spirits after their experience?
(a) They believe in spirits.
(b) They think spirits are bogus.
(c) They scoff at the idea of spirits.
(d) They are fearful of spirits.
5. What concerns Rita about the children in the mountain villages?
(a) They are sassy.
(b) They are nutritionally deficient.
(c) They have no business sense.
(d) They run too free.
6. What is missing from Rita's life after she returns to Bali?
(c) Good food.
7. What does Rita think of sago, the main food staple of the tree village?
(a) She asks for the recipe.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She spits it out.
(d) She thinks it is dry and flavorless, but eats it anyway.
8. Why does the group travel through swamps and trees?
(a) It's good exercise.
(b) They like the adventure.
(c) Rita wants to go somewhere the missionaries haven't gone.
(d) Someone from the area has called for them.
9. To what does Rita attribute her desire to leave Bali?
(a) She wants to get away from all the palace gossip.
(b) The women are mean to her.
(c) Her prince is gone.
(d) The people are beginning to bother her.
10. What is Dr. Galdikas like?
(a) She is very prompt and detailed.
(b) She challenges everyone around her to think.
(c) She is very easy-going.
(d) She is a very difficult person with whom to work.
11. Who dies shortly after Tu Nini?
(a) The king.
(c) Rita's dad.
(d) Tu Biang.
12. Why is Rita concerned about her mother?
(a) Her mother has Alzheimer's.
(b) Her mother has fallen and broken her hip.
(c) Her mother is depressed after the death of her husband.
(d) Her mother's Parkinson's is getting worse.
13. Of what does Rita accidentally become a part when she visits Budi?
(a) A parade.
(b) A swim lesson.
(c) A religious ritual.
(d) A birthday celebration.
14. How do Rita's children react to her living near them?
(a) They smother her with their nurturing.
(b) They resent her intrusion in their lives.
(c) They stop in if she begs them to do so.
(d) They visit her frequently and ask her to move closer to them.
15. How do Rita and her companions reach through the cultural barrier?
(a) Through language lessons.
(b) With music.
(c) By offering expensive gifts.
(d) By helping with the cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita realize when she goes to pay for her store purchases?
2. What miracle happens to Rita?
3. What hobby does Rita pick up while living in Seattle?
4. What does Tu Nini do before she dies?
5. How does Rita feel after her Irian Jaya experience?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)