|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who greets Rita at the airport when she arrives home?
(b) Her children.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her husband.
2. Why doesn't the captain want to go to Tower Island?
(a) He is scared of the animals.
(b) He is worried about distressing the native animals.
(c) It's too far, too flat, and impossible to find in fog without radar.
(d) The water is too rough.
3. With whom does Rita travel to the ceremony?
(a) Her daughter .
(b) The government party.
(c) Her hosts.
(d) A famous author.
4. What makes Ruth decide to have Rita as a guest?
(a) She is excited about having an author in the house.
(b) She has Rita's writing analyzed by a friend who tells her that she should meet Rita.
(c) She is very lonely.
(d) She is bored and decides that she needs company.
5. How long does Rita want to stay in the Zapotec village?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
6. The school makes arrangements for Rita to stay where?
(a) She stays in a dorm.
(b) She stays with a young couple and their baby.
(c) She stays with an elderly couple.
(d) She stays in a bed and breakfast.
7. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
(a) She climbs the mountain.
(b) She swims across the river.
(c) She makes a meal for her host family.
(d) She creates a beautiful necklace.
8. Why can't women sing during the service?
(a) They don't really know the correct pronunciations.
(b) Their voices are too shrill.
(c) They are too noisy.
(d) Their voices might tempt and distract the men.
9. How does Rita feel after she leaves Nicaragua?
10. What is the topography of the village?
(a) It's almost vertical.
(b) It's on a plateau.
(c) It's in a valley.
(d) It is on rolling land.
11. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
(a) She has no concept of safety.
(b) She has no friends.
(c) She misses her husband.
(d) She is completely free to do whatever she wants.
12. About what has Rita always dreamed?
(a) Having a luxurious lifestyle.
(b) Owning nothing but the stuff she could carry on her back.
(c) Having enough wealth to share with others.
(d) Staying home with her husband and children.
13. What does Rita do without her first night in the hotel?
14. What group does Rita join when she travels to Israel?
(a) The Travelers Network.
(b) The Peace Corps.
(d) Amnesty International.
15. What does Rita brush up on before leaving for Indonesia?
(b) Her American manners.
(c) The customs and behaviors.
(d) Her knowledge of their government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rita have to go to Quibuto after 10 in the morning?
2. Felipe teaches Rita how to negotiate what?
3. What happens to the cruise trip they plan?
4. What does Rita inadvertently do to her landlady?
5. What does Rita do for her 49th birthday?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)