|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rita goes to the Galapagos, how many years is it since she has been in Mexico City?
2. Who leads the group to Tower Island?
(a) A friend Rita had met on a previous trip.
(c) The captain.
(d) Rita's daughter.
3. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
(a) She creates a beautiful necklace.
(b) She makes a meal for her host family.
(c) She swims across the river.
(d) She climbs the mountain.
4. Where does Rita sleep in Palenque?
(a) In a hammock on a platform.
(b) In a 10 person tent.
(c) In a one-person tent
(d) On the ground with a thin blanket.
5. What does Rita say her profession is?
(b) She is unemployed.
(d) Writer of children's books.
6. On what do they tour the islands?
(a) A beat-up converted fishing boat.
(b) A tour boat.
(c) A friend's sailboat.
(d) A sleek cruiser.
7. What does Rita do without her first night in the hotel?
8. What is the topography of the village?
(a) It's on a plateau.
(b) It's in a valley.
(c) It's almost vertical.
(d) It is on rolling land.
9. What does Rita inadvertently do to her landlady?
(a) She offends her by breaking customs.
(b) She helps her without realizing it.
(c) She offends her by showing up to a party late.
(d) She helps her out of a tough situation.
10. What does Rita observe about the Nicaraguans she meets over the eight months that she is there?
(a) They are very skittish.
(b) They are very reserved.
(c) They have an air of pride and confidence.
(d) They act beaten and oppressed.
11. Rita goes to the Mayor to obtain permission to go where?
(a) To the market.
(b) To someone else's home to live.
(c) To a ceremony for the vice-governor's grandmother who died.
(d) To the country.
12. What does Rita feel as if she is running towards?
13. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
(a) On a sidewalk.
(b) On an island.
(c) In a park.
(d) On a bluff.
14. What does Rita observe about the female frigatebirds?
(a) They are never satisfied as far as she can see.
(b) They have beautiful voices.
(c) They are awkward and clumsy.
(d) They are beautiful.
15. Who teaches Rita Indonesian?
(a) She teaches herself and won't accept help from anyone else.
(b) An American student.
(c) A school she attends in Indonesia.
(d) The maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zahava want Rita to experience?
2. What organization helps the families in the village with education?
3. Why does Rita have to go to Quibuto after 10 in the morning?
4. Who accompanies them into Nicaragua?
5. What happens to Rita's marriage?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)