|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do women react when Rita talks about her travels?
(a) They are interested and inspired that she does it without a man.
(b) They don't want to talk about it.
(c) They are politely curious.
(d) They think she is crazy.
2. Rita loses her position because the boss thinks what?
(a) She is over-qualified.
(b) Her ideas are too off the mark.
(c) There are too many gringos involved in the project.
(d) She is lazy.
3. How does Rita feel about her Jewish background?
(a) She takes her customs and religion very seriously.
(b) She resents her background.
(c) It seems unimportant to her.
(d) She is very proud of her heritage.
4. Where does Rita go on her first full day in Mexico City?
(a) She goes on a formal tour.
(b) She visits some historic churches.
(c) She goes to the market.
(d) She goes to a fast food restaurant.
5. What group does Rita join when she travels to Israel?
(b) The Peace Corps.
(c) Amnesty International.
(d) The Travelers Network.
6. Why does Rita have a respect for street entertainers?
(a) She appreciates the joy they bring to the world.
(b) She thinks they are creative.
(c) She is somewhat envious of their extroverted nature.
(d) She is very clumsy and doesn't know how they do their acts.
7. Where does Rita sleep in Palenque?
(a) On the ground with a thin blanket.
(b) In a 10 person tent.
(c) In a one-person tent
(d) In a hammock on a platform.
8. When the plane lands on a different island than the one where Rita thinks she is staying, how does she react?
(a) She panicks and demands to go back.
(b) She decides to trust and enjoy the adventure.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is very nervous, but doesn't know what to say.
9. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
(a) She makes a meal for her host family.
(b) She swims across the river.
(c) She climbs the mountain.
(d) She creates a beautiful necklace.
10. Who greets Rita at the airport when she arrives home?
(a) Her best friend.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her husband.
11. What do the children ask Rita to do?
(a) Give them money.
(b) Read them her book.
(c) Teach them a math lesson.
(d) Give them candy.
12. How many days pass before the women in the village (aside from Margarita) begin to talk with Rita?
13. How does Rita feel as a woman in the super-Orthodox world?
(a) She feels ignored.
(b) She doesn't like feeling second class.
(c) She feels treasured.
(d) She appreciates the importance of her role as a nurturer.
14. What makes Ruth decide to have Rita as a guest?
(a) She has Rita's writing analyzed by a friend who tells her that she should meet Rita.
(b) She is very lonely.
(c) She is bored and decides that she needs company.
(d) She is excited about having an author in the house.
15. Where does Rita get the idea to go to Indonesia?
(a) After meeting an Indonesian.
(b) At her high school reunion.
(c) After blindly settling her finger on a map.
(d) After reading a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita do in the waterfalls?
2. Who does Rita imagine she sees when looking out over the plaza toward the Temple of the Inscriptions?
3. What does Rita say her profession is?
4. What is the topography of the village?
5. What is Rita's life like with her husband?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)