|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men treat Rita?
(a) They are cordial, but don't look at her directly.
(b) They stand at a distance.
(c) They gather around her, touch her, and tell her stories.
(d) They run away.
2. What does Rita learn how to make at Mama's?
(d) Rice cakes.
3. What discovery makes Rita's traveling easier and more affordable?
(a) She learns how to use coupons better.
(b) She learns tricks for getting the best hotel rates.
(c) She becomes a travel agent.
(d) She discovers the travelers' network.
4. What does Zahava want Rita to experience?
(a) The seriousness of a religious service.
(b) The joy of a big family Sabbath.
(c) A day in the country.
(d) A day in the Israeli educational system.
5. Felipe teaches Rita how to negotiate what?
6. What is the first thing Rita does when she arrives at her house in Israel?
(a) She takes a nap.
(b) She enjoys a delicious meal.
(c) She goes swimming with her host.
(d) She prays.
7. Why can't women sing during the service?
(a) Their voices are too shrill.
(b) They are too noisy.
(c) They don't really know the correct pronunciations.
(d) Their voices might tempt and distract the men.
8. How do women react when Rita talks about her travels?
(a) They are interested and inspired that she does it without a man.
(b) They think she is crazy.
(c) They don't want to talk about it.
(d) They are politely curious.
9. What response does Rita get when she asks about life in El Salvador?
(a) She is told that it is difficult, but improving.
(b) She is told that it is a modern Utopia.
(c) She is told that they will talk inside the truck where no one can hear them.
(d) She is told that the living standards are rapidly improving.
10. Where does Rita get the idea to go to Indonesia?
(a) After reading a book.
(b) At her high school reunion.
(c) After blindly settling her finger on a map.
(d) After meeting an Indonesian.
11. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
(a) In a park.
(b) On a sidewalk.
(c) On a bluff.
(d) On an island.
12. What does Rita brush up on before leaving for Indonesia?
(b) Her knowledge of their government.
(c) The customs and behaviors.
(d) Her American manners.
13. When does Rita feel very connected with the women in the village?
(a) When they dance together.
(b) When they are working in the fields together.
(c) When they are out getting firewood together.
(d) When they are cooking together.
14. Rita goes to the Mayor to obtain permission to go where?
(a) To the country.
(b) To a ceremony for the vice-governor's grandmother who died.
(c) To someone else's home to live.
(d) To the market.
15. Why does Rita decide to go to the Galapagos Islands?
(a) She wants to collect shells.
(b) She wants to study the history of the area.
(c) She plans to write a children's book on animals.
(d) She wants to visit some friends there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rita have to go to Quibuto after 10 in the morning?
2. Of what is the author afraid at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. Who accompanies them into Nicaragua?
4. Who teaches Rita Indonesian?
5. What does Rita do for her 49th birthday?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)