|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what do they tour the islands?
(a) A sleek cruiser.
(b) A friend's sailboat.
(c) A tour boat.
(d) A beat-up converted fishing boat.
2. What does Rita observe about the female frigatebirds?
(a) They are never satisfied as far as she can see.
(b) They are beautiful.
(c) They are awkward and clumsy.
(d) They have beautiful voices.
3. What does Rita brush up on before leaving for Indonesia?
(a) Her American manners.
(b) The customs and behaviors.
(d) Her knowledge of their government.
4. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
(a) She swims across the river.
(b) She climbs the mountain.
(c) She creates a beautiful necklace.
(d) She makes a meal for her host family.
5. Who accompanies them into Nicaragua?
(a) Some new friends.
(b) A priest.
(c) Two soldiers.
(d) Some old friends.
6. What happens to the cruise trip they plan?
(a) The tour is canceled.
(b) They are upgraded unexpectedly.
(c) The ship is disabled due to rough waters.
(d) The captain abandons the ship.
7. Now that she is truly free, where does Rita decide to travel in Chapter 4?
(a) Mexico City.
(b) The Galapagos.
8. Of what is the author afraid at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(c) Meeting people.
9. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
(a) On an island.
(b) In a park.
(c) On a bluff.
(d) On a sidewalk.
10. What bothers Rita when her wallet is stolen?
(a) She has no passport.
(b) She needs to call her husband and report the stolen credit cards.
(c) She has no money.
(d) She loses the pictures of her children.
11. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
(a) A woman she meets while in the museum.
(b) Two strange men from England.
(c) A travel agent.
(d) A teacher from the Spanish school.
12. How does Rita feel about her Jewish background?
(a) She resents her background.
(b) She takes her customs and religion very seriously.
(c) It seems unimportant to her.
(d) She is very proud of her heritage.
13. Why does Rita have to go to Quibuto after 10 in the morning?
(a) There is too much traffic earlier.
(b) The people in the town like to sleep in late.
(c) They need to clear the mines in the road that have been planted overnight.
(d) Rita like to sleep in late.
14. Why does Rita have a respect for street entertainers?
(a) She is very clumsy and doesn't know how they do their acts.
(b) She appreciates the joy they bring to the world.
(c) She is somewhat envious of their extroverted nature.
(d) She thinks they are creative.
15. Why doesn't the captain want to go to Tower Island?
(a) He is scared of the animals.
(b) He is worried about distressing the native animals.
(c) It's too far, too flat, and impossible to find in fog without radar.
(d) The water is too rough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ruth decide to have Rita as a guest?
2. What organization helps the families in the village with education?
3. How do the men treat Rita?
4. Rita loses her position because the boss thinks what?
5. What does Rita experience at the campgrounds after visiting the Temple of the Inscriptions?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)