|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rita get the idea to go to Indonesia?
(a) After meeting an Indonesian.
(b) After blindly settling her finger on a map.
(c) After reading a book.
(d) At her high school reunion.
2. Who teaches Rita Indonesian?
(a) The maid.
(b) She teaches herself and won't accept help from anyone else.
(c) An American student.
(d) A school she attends in Indonesia.
3. What does Rita brush up on before leaving for Indonesia?
(a) Her knowledge of their government.
(b) Her American manners.
(c) The customs and behaviors.
4. How does Rita feel as a woman in the super-Orthodox world?
(a) She feels treasured.
(b) She appreciates the importance of her role as a nurturer.
(c) She doesn't like feeling second class.
(d) She feels ignored.
5. How long does Rita want to stay in the Zapotec village?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
6. Who visits Rita while she is in Galapagos?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her best friend from Los Angeles.
(c) Her ex-husband.
(d) Her son.
7. What does Rita experience at the campgrounds after visiting the Temple of the Inscriptions?
(a) Psychedelic mushrooms.
(b) A sense of dread.
(c) A religious connection.
8. Of what is the author afraid at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(c) Meeting people.
9. Who does Rita imagine she sees when looking out over the plaza toward the Temple of the Inscriptions?
(a) Her children.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her traveling partners.
10. What does Rita do without her first night in the hotel?
11. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
(a) A travel agent.
(b) A teacher from the Spanish school.
(c) A woman she meets while in the museum.
(d) Two strange men from England.
12. What happens to the cruise trip they plan?
(a) They are upgraded unexpectedly.
(b) The captain abandons the ship.
(c) The ship is disabled due to rough waters.
(d) The tour is canceled.
13. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
(a) She creates a beautiful necklace.
(b) She swims across the river.
(c) She makes a meal for her host family.
(d) She climbs the mountain.
14. What bothers Rita when her wallet is stolen?
(a) She loses the pictures of her children.
(b) She has no money.
(c) She has no passport.
(d) She needs to call her husband and report the stolen credit cards.
15. On what do they tour the islands?
(a) A sleek cruiser.
(b) A beat-up converted fishing boat.
(c) A friend's sailboat.
(d) A tour boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
2. What does Rita say her profession is?
3. When the plane lands on a different island than the one where Rita thinks she is staying, how does she react?
4. Felipe teaches Rita how to negotiate what?
5. How many days pass before the women in the village (aside from Margarita) begin to talk with Rita?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)