|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rita and her husband decide to do?
(a) They decide to talk together until they work everything out.
(b) They decide to get a divorce.
(c) They decide to see a marriage counselor immediately.
(d) They decide to take a break from each other.
2. What community does Rita want to learn more about in Chapter 4?
(a) The religious community.
(b) The elderly.
(c) The ex-pat community.
(d) The street children .
3. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
(a) A teacher from the Spanish school.
(b) A woman she meets while in the museum.
(c) Two strange men from England.
(d) A travel agent.
4. What does Rita feel as if she stepped into when she visits the Druse?
(a) A lion's den.
(b) Another world.
(c) The future.
(d) A pit of snakes.
5. Who teaches Rita Indonesian?
(a) The maid.
(b) She teaches herself and won't accept help from anyone else.
(c) A school she attends in Indonesia.
(d) An American student.
6. Why doesn't the captain want to go to Tower Island?
(a) He is worried about distressing the native animals.
(b) It's too far, too flat, and impossible to find in fog without radar.
(c) He is scared of the animals.
(d) The water is too rough.
7. How does Rita feel about her Jewish background?
(a) She takes her customs and religion very seriously.
(b) She is very proud of her heritage.
(c) It seems unimportant to her.
(d) She resents her background.
8. With whom does Rita travel to the ceremony?
(a) A famous author.
(b) The government party.
(c) Her hosts.
(d) Her daughter .
9. What does Rita learn how to make at Mama's?
(d) Rice cakes.
10. Who accompanies them into Nicaragua?
(a) Some old friends.
(b) Some new friends.
(c) Two soldiers.
(d) A priest.
11. Why does Rita have to go to Quibuto after 10 in the morning?
(a) There is too much traffic earlier.
(b) They need to clear the mines in the road that have been planted overnight.
(c) Rita like to sleep in late.
(d) The people in the town like to sleep in late.
12. What do the children ask Rita to do?
(a) Read them her book.
(b) Teach them a math lesson.
(c) Give them money.
(d) Give them candy.
13. What does Rita observe about the female frigatebirds?
(a) They are beautiful.
(b) They have beautiful voices.
(c) They are awkward and clumsy.
(d) They are never satisfied as far as she can see.
14. Where does Rita get the idea to go to Indonesia?
(a) After reading a book.
(b) After meeting an Indonesian.
(c) At her high school reunion.
(d) After blindly settling her finger on a map.
15. How do the women in the village treat Rita on her first day?
(a) They shyly greet her.
(b) They completely ignore her.
(c) They run up to embrace her.
(d) They run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rita sleep in Palenque?
2. How do the men treat Rita?
3. What does Rita experience at the campgrounds after visiting the Temple of the Inscriptions?
4. How do women react when Rita talks about her travels?
5. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)