|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the plane lands on a different island than the one where Rita thinks she is staying, how does she react?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She decides to trust and enjoy the adventure.
(c) She is very nervous, but doesn't know what to say.
(d) She panicks and demands to go back.
2. What do the children ask Rita to do?
(a) Teach them a math lesson.
(b) Read them her book.
(c) Give them money.
(d) Give them candy.
3. How many days pass before the women in the village (aside from Margarita) begin to talk with Rita?
4. Why do they leave the restaurant?
(a) Rita is feeling ill.
(b) They don't trust the men who are striking up a conversation with them.
(c) They have a meeting to attend.
(d) The food is terrible.
5. Who teaches Rita Indonesian?
(a) She teaches herself and won't accept help from anyone else.
(b) A school she attends in Indonesia.
(c) The maid.
(d) An American student.
6. What is the last great task Rita accomplishes before leaving the village?
(a) She creates a beautiful necklace.
(b) She climbs the mountain.
(c) She swims across the river.
(d) She makes a meal for her host family.
7. How does Rita feel as she goes down the street in San Salvador?
8. What does Rita do for her 49th birthday?
(a) She invites Maria and her family over for a grand birthday party with cake and candles and ice cream.
(b) She goes shopping.
(c) She invites Maria and her family over for a party, but keeps her birthday a secret.
(d) She calls her family in the US.
9. Where does Rita sleep in Palenque?
(a) In a 10 person tent.
(b) On the ground with a thin blanket.
(c) In a hammock on a platform.
(d) In a one-person tent
10. Rita loses her position because the boss thinks what?
(a) She is lazy.
(b) She is over-qualified.
(c) Her ideas are too off the mark.
(d) There are too many gringos involved in the project.
11. About what has Rita always dreamed?
(a) Having a luxurious lifestyle.
(b) Owning nothing but the stuff she could carry on her back.
(c) Staying home with her husband and children.
(d) Having enough wealth to share with others.
12. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
(a) In a park.
(b) On a bluff.
(c) On an island.
(d) On a sidewalk.
13. Felipe teaches Rita how to negotiate what?
14. What does Rita brush up on before leaving for Indonesia?
(a) The customs and behaviors.
(b) Her American manners.
(c) Her knowledge of their government.
15. How does Rita feel about her Jewish background?
(a) She is very proud of her heritage.
(b) It seems unimportant to her.
(c) She resents her background.
(d) She takes her customs and religion very seriously.
Short Answer Questions
1. What community does Rita want to learn more about in Chapter 4?
2. How does Rita get to the Zapotec village?
3. What group does Rita join when she travels to Israel?
4. Where does Rita go on her first full day in Mexico City?
5. How does Rita feel as a woman in the super-Orthodox world?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)