|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies them into Nicaragua?
(a) A priest.
(b) Some old friends.
(c) Some new friends.
(d) Two soldiers.
2. How does Rita feel as she goes down the street in San Salvador?
3. How do the men treat Rita?
(a) They are cordial, but don't look at her directly.
(b) They gather around her, touch her, and tell her stories.
(c) They run away.
(d) They stand at a distance.
4. What does Rita do without her first night in the hotel?
5. When Rita goes to the Galapagos, how many years is it since she has been in Mexico City?
6. How does Rita feel after she leaves Nicaragua?
7. What is Rita's life like with her husband?
8. When does Rita feel very connected with the women in the village?
(a) When they dance together.
(b) When they are out getting firewood together.
(c) When they are working in the fields together.
(d) When they are cooking together.
9. Who visits Rita while she is in Galapagos?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her best friend from Los Angeles.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her ex-husband.
10. Why do they leave the restaurant?
(a) The food is terrible.
(b) Rita is feeling ill.
(c) They don't trust the men who are striking up a conversation with them.
(d) They have a meeting to attend.
11. What happens to Rita's marriage?
(a) They decide to stay married but travel more.
(b) They patch things up.
(c) It ends in divorce.
(d) She and her husband agree to separate for a longer period of time.
12. Why can't women sing during the service?
(a) Their voices might tempt and distract the men.
(b) Their voices are too shrill.
(c) They are too noisy.
(d) They don't really know the correct pronunciations.
13. Why does Rita have a respect for street entertainers?
(a) She is somewhat envious of their extroverted nature.
(b) She thinks they are creative.
(c) She appreciates the joy they bring to the world.
(d) She is very clumsy and doesn't know how they do their acts.
14. What makes Ruth decide to have Rita as a guest?
(a) She is excited about having an author in the house.
(b) She is bored and decides that she needs company.
(c) She is very lonely.
(d) She has Rita's writing analyzed by a friend who tells her that she should meet Rita.
15. What response does Rita get when she asks about life in El Salvador?
(a) She is told that it is difficult, but improving.
(b) She is told that it is a modern Utopia.
(c) She is told that the living standards are rapidly improving.
(d) She is told that they will talk inside the truck where no one can hear them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization helps the families in the village with education?
2. Now that she is truly free, where does Rita decide to travel in Chapter 4?
3. What does Zahava want Rita to experience?
4. What group does Rita join when she travels to Israel?
5. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)