|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Rita feel very connected with the women in the village?
(a) When they are working in the fields together.
(b) When they dance together.
(c) When they are out getting firewood together.
(d) When they are cooking together.
2. How does Rita feel after she leaves Nicaragua?
3. How long does Rita want to stay in the Zapotec village?
(a) Six months.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
4. What response does Rita get when she asks about life in El Salvador?
(a) She is told that they will talk inside the truck where no one can hear them.
(b) She is told that it is difficult, but improving.
(c) She is told that it is a modern Utopia.
(d) She is told that the living standards are rapidly improving.
5. What community does Rita want to learn more about in Chapter 4?
(a) The ex-pat community.
(b) The street children .
(c) The elderly.
(d) The religious community.
6. What does Rita experience at the campgrounds after visiting the Temple of the Inscriptions?
(a) A religious connection.
(b) A sense of dread.
(d) Psychedelic mushrooms.
7. How does Rita feel about her Jewish background?
(a) She resents her background.
(b) It seems unimportant to her.
(c) She takes her customs and religion very seriously.
(d) She is very proud of her heritage.
8. What organization helps the families in the village with education?
(a) Christian Children's Foundation.
(b) The Peace Corps.
(c) World Hope.
(d) The Red Cross.
9. What does Rita learn how to make at Mama's?
(c) Rice cakes.
10. With whom does Rita eat on her second night in Mexico City?
(a) Two strange men from England.
(b) A travel agent.
(c) A woman she meets while in the museum.
(d) A teacher from the Spanish school.
11. What does Rita do for her 49th birthday?
(a) She calls her family in the US.
(b) She invites Maria and her family over for a party, but keeps her birthday a secret.
(c) She invites Maria and her family over for a grand birthday party with cake and candles and ice cream.
(d) She goes shopping.
12. Where does Rita get the idea to go to Indonesia?
(a) After reading a book.
(b) At her high school reunion.
(c) After blindly settling her finger on a map.
(d) After meeting an Indonesian.
13. What is the topography of the village?
(a) It's on a plateau.
(b) It's in a valley.
(c) It's almost vertical.
(d) It is on rolling land.
14. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
(a) She has no friends.
(b) She misses her husband.
(c) She has no concept of safety.
(d) She is completely free to do whatever she wants.
15. How do the women in the village treat Rita on her first day?
(a) They shyly greet her.
(b) They run away.
(c) They completely ignore her.
(d) They run up to embrace her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita observe about the female frigatebirds?
2. When Rita goes to the Galapagos, how many years is it since she has been in Mexico City?
3. What does Rita do in the waterfalls?
4. About what has Rita always dreamed?
5. Of what is the author afraid at the beginning of Chapter 2?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)