|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the cruise trip they plan?
(a) They are upgraded unexpectedly.
(b) The tour is canceled.
(c) The ship is disabled due to rough waters.
(d) The captain abandons the ship.
2. About what has Rita always dreamed?
(a) Having a luxurious lifestyle.
(b) Staying home with her husband and children.
(c) Owning nothing but the stuff she could carry on her back.
(d) Having enough wealth to share with others.
3. Why does Rita have to go to Quibuto after 10 in the morning?
(a) Rita like to sleep in late.
(b) They need to clear the mines in the road that have been planted overnight.
(c) The people in the town like to sleep in late.
(d) There is too much traffic earlier.
4. Where does Rita get the idea to go to Indonesia?
(a) After reading a book.
(b) After blindly settling her finger on a map.
(c) At her high school reunion.
(d) After meeting an Indonesian.
5. How do women react when Rita talks about her travels?
(a) They think she is crazy.
(b) They are interested and inspired that she does it without a man.
(c) They are politely curious.
(d) They don't want to talk about it.
6. Why doesn't the captain want to go to Tower Island?
(a) The water is too rough.
(b) It's too far, too flat, and impossible to find in fog without radar.
(c) He is scared of the animals.
(d) He is worried about distressing the native animals.
7. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
(a) She has no concept of safety.
(b) She misses her husband.
(c) She is completely free to do whatever she wants.
(d) She has no friends.
8. How does Rita feel as a woman in the super-Orthodox world?
(a) She appreciates the importance of her role as a nurturer.
(b) She feels ignored.
(c) She doesn't like feeling second class.
(d) She feels treasured.
9. Where does Rita's passion for travel get re-kindled?
(a) When she goes to the library and takes out some travel books.
(b) When she goes to a seminar given by a world traveler.
(c) When she watches the Travel Channel on TV.
(d) When she goes to the Galapagos.
10. What does Rita brush up on before leaving for Indonesia?
(a) Her knowledge of their government.
(c) The customs and behaviors.
(d) Her American manners.
11. What does Rita do without her first night in the hotel?
12. How does Rita feel as she goes down the street in San Salvador?
13. Who does Rita imagine she sees when looking out over the plaza toward the Temple of the Inscriptions?
(a) Her traveling partners.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her children.
14. What bothers Rita when her wallet is stolen?
(a) She needs to call her husband and report the stolen credit cards.
(b) She has no passport.
(c) She loses the pictures of her children.
(d) She has no money.
15. How many days pass before the women in the village (aside from Margarita) begin to talk with Rita?
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does Rita get when she asks about life in El Salvador?
2. Where does the family picnic when they go to the beach?
3. Of what is the author afraid at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What does the architect want Rita to do?
5. What makes Ruth decide to have Rita as a guest?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)