|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group does Rita join when she travels to Israel?
(a) The Travelers Network.
(b) Amnesty International.
(c) The Peace Corps.
2. Who teaches Rita Indonesian?
(a) A school she attends in Indonesia.
(b) She teaches herself and won't accept help from anyone else.
(c) The maid.
(d) An American student.
3. How do the women in the village treat Rita on her first day?
(a) They run up to embrace her.
(b) They completely ignore her.
(c) They shyly greet her.
(d) They run away.
4. How long does Rita want to stay in the Zapotec village?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
5. What does Rita do without her first night in the hotel?
6. How does Rita feel as she goes down the street in San Salvador?
7. How does Rita feel after she leaves Nicaragua?
8. How many days pass before the women in the village (aside from Margarita) begin to talk with Rita?
9. Who leads the group to Tower Island?
(a) The captain.
(b) Rita's daughter.
(d) A friend Rita had met on a previous trip.
10. Where does Rita get the idea to go to Indonesia?
(a) At her high school reunion.
(b) After reading a book.
(c) After meeting an Indonesian.
(d) After blindly settling her finger on a map.
11. On what do they tour the islands?
(a) A friend's sailboat.
(b) A beat-up converted fishing boat.
(c) A tour boat.
(d) A sleek cruiser.
12. Who greets Rita at the airport when she arrives home?
(a) Her best friend.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her husband.
13. Why does Rita have to go to Quibuto after 10 in the morning?
(a) They need to clear the mines in the road that have been planted overnight.
(b) The people in the town like to sleep in late.
(c) Rita like to sleep in late.
(d) There is too much traffic earlier.
14. What does Rita inadvertently do to her landlady?
(a) She offends her by showing up to a party late.
(b) She offends her by breaking customs.
(c) She helps her out of a tough situation.
(d) She helps her without realizing it.
15. Why do they leave the restaurant?
(a) The food is terrible.
(b) They don't trust the men who are striking up a conversation with them.
(c) They have a meeting to attend.
(d) Rita is feeling ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ruth decide to have Rita as a guest?
2. What does Rita feel as if she is running towards?
3. When the plane lands on a different island than the one where Rita thinks she is staying, how does she react?
4. What does Rita realize while she is touring the museums in Mexico City?
5. Why doesn't the captain want to go to Tower Island?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)