|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a prophecy the witches make at the beginning of Macbeth?
2. Who tips off Orlando that his life is in danger in As You Like It?
3. What does Portia disguise herself as at the end of Merchant of Venice?
4. How does Leontes want Polixenes killed at the beginning of The Winter's Tale?
5. Which of the following characters does not die at the end of King Lear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Macbeth kill Banquo?
2. In A Midsummer Night's Dream, how does Oberon change the hearts of the Athenian youths?
3. How is Paulita saved from death at a young age in The Winter's Tale?
4. How does Valentine becomes the leader of bandits in Two Gentlemen of Verona?
5. How does Prospero find Ariel in The Tempest?
6. How are Orlando and Oliver reconciled in As You Like It?
7. How does Oliver try to kill Orlando in As You Like It?
8. How are Hero and Claudio reunited at the end of Much Ado About Nothing?
9. In The Tempest, how does Prospero bring his enemies to the island?
10. How does Posthumus return to Britain at the end of Cymbeline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In A Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare famously said the course of true love never did run smooth. Write an essay charting the arc of a particularly tumultuous courtship in one of the stories. What two characters are in love, and what obstacles prevent their complete happiness? How do they respond to these obstacles? Do they over come them or break apart from each other? Through this courtship, what is Shakespeare saying about romance and commitment?
Essay Topic 2
Coincidence plays an important role in all of the Shakespearean narratives. Individuals lose and find each other often, and always at just the right moment. Write an essay three cases of coincidence that are important to drawing the narrative forward in the story:
Part 1) How does Hermione end up in the cave where her long-estranged brothers live? Discuss the series of unconnected circumstances that drew her to this place, and why she immediately leaves it. How is all made right and this reunion explained in the end of Cymbeline?
Part 2) Discuss how Leontes loses his child at the beginning of The Winter's Tale. What series of events bring her back to him with a significant suitor? Were any of these events perpetrated by the repentant Leontes? What is the result of Paulina's return at the end of the play?
Part 3) How does the life of Pericles, Prince of Tyre, mean that coincidence is always a factor for him? Discuss the process by which Pericles loses his entire family and how he gets them back. What factors - supernatural and natural - contribute to this reunion?
Essay Topic 3
Many Shakespearean stories involve an individual attempting to subvert a social structure: Macbeth, Othello, Shylock, Hamlet, Katharine. Write an essay about three such characters and discuss how this attempt progresses in the story. Why does this character choose to subvert this system? What does he or she want to achieve, and what subversive actions does he or she take? How does this character end up as a result?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)