|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose does Proteus hire the disguised Julia in Two Gentlemen of Verona?
2. What act of fidelity do Julia and Proteus commit when parting ways at the the beginning of Two Gentlemen of Verona?
3. How does Prospero bring his enemies to the island in The Tempest?
4. What does the wicked queen tell Pisanio the vial of potion she gives him is?
5. In The Winter's Tale, what does Leontes want his counselors to ask the oracle at Delphos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Hero and Claudio reunited at the end of Much Ado About Nothing?
2. Why is Cordelia banished at the beginning of King Lear?
3. Describe the interaction between Prospero and his enemies on the island at the end of The Tempest.
4. Describe Iago's revenge against Othello.
5. In Pericles, how does Marina become a slave?
6. How do Romeo and Juliet die?
7. Why does Kent have to disguise himself to follow King Lear?
8. How does Lady Macbeth convince Macbeth to kill Duncan?
9. What wager is involved in the final part of Taming of the Shrew?
10. Why is Othello summoned before the Duke of Venice for his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coincidence plays an important role in all of the Shakespearean narratives. Individuals lose and find each other often, and always at just the right moment. Write an essay three cases of coincidence that are important to drawing the narrative forward in the story:
Part 1) How does Hermione end up in the cave where her long-estranged brothers live? Discuss the series of unconnected circumstances that drew her to this place, and why she immediately leaves it. How is all made right and this reunion explained in the end of Cymbeline?
Part 2) Discuss how Leontes loses his child at the beginning of The Winter's Tale. What series of events bring her back to him with a significant suitor? Were any of these events perpetrated by the repentant Leontes? What is the result of Paulina's return at the end of the play?
Part 3) How does the life of Pericles, Prince of Tyre, mean that coincidence is always a factor for him? Discuss the process by which Pericles loses his entire family and how he gets them back. What factors - supernatural and natural - contribute to this reunion?
Essay Topic 2
Shakespeare's comedies involve betrayal and reconciliation between family members and friends. Write an essay about three comedies and discuss how friends and family members betray each other. What compels them to do this? What is the fallout from this betrayal? Discuss what events occur that lead to reconciliation among them? What does this redemption say about the nature of friendship, family and love?
Part 1) The Winter's Tale
Part 2) Two Gentlemen of Verona
Part 3) As You Like It
Essay Topic 3
Shakespeare's stories often involve a divide between the town - with its merchants and political squabbles - and the country, a setting of ease and merriment. Citing specific stories from the text, discuss in an essay how Shakespeare uses this divide in his stories. What can occur in the country that cannot in the town? How are interactions different? Why do people choose to - or are forced to - leave the city? Do comedies or tragedies use this device more often?
This section contains 2,996 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)