|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lear wander into a storm at night?
(a) He does not want to live with his daughters.
(b) He has not bathed in days.
(c) He is looking for Cordelia.
(d) He wants to gather an army together.
2. Which of the following is not a prophecy the witches make at the beginning of Macbeth?
(a) Macbeth will be king.
(b) Macbeth will be the thane of Cawdor.
(c) Banquo's children will be kings.
(d) Banquo will be killed.
3. What does Portia disguise herself as at the end of Merchant of Venice?
(a) A queen.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) An accountant.
(d) A knight.
4. In Cymbeline, why does the King raise Posthumus?
(a) He saved the queen's life.
(b) He is the King's favorite fool.
(c) He brings good luck to the kingdom.
(d) His father was a royal night.
5. For what purpose does Proteus hire the disguised Julia in Two Gentlemen of Verona?
(a) As a smith.
(b) As a messenger.
(c) As a courtier.
(d) As a page.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of As You Like It, whom does the duke's brother meet as he enters the forest to kill him?
2. In As You Like It, what is Orlando doing the first time Rosalind sees him?
3. Who is the second human Miranda meets in The Tempest?
4. Who constantly torments Caliban at the beginning of The Tempest?
5. In A Midsummer Night's Dream, who tips Demetrius off to Lysander's plan to flee the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. In A Midsummer Night's Dream, how does Oberon change the hearts of the Athenian youths?
2. Why is Cordelia banished at the beginning of King Lear?
3. How does Lady Macbeth convince Macbeth to kill Duncan?
4. In The Tempest, how does Prospero bring his enemies to the island?
5. What is Don Pedro's attitude to Beatrice and Benedick at the beginning of Much Ado About Nothing?
6. How are Orlando and Oliver reconciled in As You Like It?
7. How do Antonio and Shylock lend money differently in Merchant of Venice?
8. How does Prospero find Ariel in The Tempest?
9. What is the rift in the spirit room at the beginning of A Midsummer Night's Dream?
10. Who does Valentine offer Silvia to Proteus at the end of Two Gentlemen of Verona?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)