|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does A Midsummer Night's Dream begin?
2. In The Tempest, where on the island do Sycorax imprison good spirits?
(a) In trees.
(b) In the water.
(c) Under the sands.
(d) In clouds.
3. How does Julia respond to Valentine's offering of Silvia to Proteus?
(a) She reveals herself.
(b) She storms off.
(c) She faints.
(d) She cries bitterly.
4. In Merchant of Venice, why can Antonio not pay his bond to Shylock?
(a) His crops whither.
(b) His father recovers his health.
(c) His ships sink.
(d) His lands are seized by the state.
5. Where do Belarius and her two brothers, Polydore and Cadwal, live?
(a) A castle.
(b) A hovel.
(c) A cave.
(d) A ship's hull.
Short Answer Questions
1. What earl helps the mad Lear escape to France?
2. Who does Demetrius marry at the end of A Midsummer Night's Dream?
3. Why does the French duke of As You Like It move to Arden?
4. In Merchant of Venice, how does Shylock make money as a usurer?
5. How is Silvia related to the Duke of Milan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Prospero and his enemies on the island at the end of The Tempest.
2. At the end of As You Like It, what happy news arrives concerning the banished duke?
3. How does Valentine becomes the leader of bandits in Two Gentlemen of Verona?
4. How does Leontes respond to his new daughter at the beginning of The Winter's Tale?
5. Why does Belarius think Imogen is dead in Cymbeline?
6. How does Prospero find Ariel in The Tempest?
7. What is the problem among the young lovers at the beginning of A Midsummer Night's Dream?
8. How does Portia save Antonio's life in Merchant of Venice?
9. Why is Posthumus banished at the beginning of Cymbeline?
10. How does Lady Macbeth convince Macbeth to kill Duncan?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)