|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bassanio need money at the beginning of Merchant of Venice?
(a) He needs to pay off gambling debts.
(b) He wants to buy land in the country.
(c) He wants to start a shipping business.
(d) He wants to marry a wealthy heiress.
2. What false name does Rosalind choose for her flight into Arden?
3. In Merchant of Venice, how does Shylock make money as a usurer?
(a) He collects finder's fees.
(b) He runs a textile-works on the side.
(c) He invests in fishing interests.
(d) He charges interest.
4. When does Sycorax die in The Tempest?
(a) Before Prospero and Mirand arrive at the island.
(b) Days after Prospero and Mirand arrive at the island.
(c) The moment Prospero and Mirand arrive at the island.
(d) She didn't die.
5. What item does Iachomo want to gain from Posthumus when they meet in Cymbeline?
(a) His sack of gold.
(b) His ring.
(c) His prayerbook.
(d) His hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia disguise herself as at the end of Merchant of Venice?
2. What is Edmund's brother's name?
3. In Merchant of Venice, why can Antonio not pay his bond to Shylock?
4. At the beginning of The Winter's Tale, what does Leontes order regarding his new daughter?
5. In As You Like It, what is Orlando doing the first time Rosalind sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leontes respond to his new daughter at the beginning of The Winter's Tale?
2. Under what circumstances does Lear go mad?
3. How does Lady Macbeth convince Macbeth to kill Duncan?
4. Describe the interaction between Prospero and his enemies on the island at the end of The Tempest.
5. How does Portia save Antonio's life in Merchant of Venice?
6. How do Antonio and Shylock lend money differently in Merchant of Venice?
7. Why does Macbeth kill Banquo?
8. Why is Cordelia banished at the beginning of King Lear?
9. How is Paulita saved from death at a young age in The Winter's Tale?
10. Why does Claudio think Hero is cheating on him in Much Ado About Nothing?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)