|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Antonio expect to be able to pay Shylock at the beginning of Merchant of Venice?
(a) He can draw from his savings.
(b) His father is about to die.
(c) He has ships coming in.
(d) He will harvest his olives early.
2. Who is the beggar whose hovel Lear sleeps in during the storm?
(c) The fool.
3. When does Sycorax die in The Tempest?
(a) The moment Prospero and Mirand arrive at the island.
(b) Before Prospero and Mirand arrive at the island.
(c) Days after Prospero and Mirand arrive at the island.
(d) She didn't die.
4. How does Prospero bring his enemies to the island in The Tempest?
(a) A storm.
(b) A transporting spell.
(c) A siren's song.
(d) A steady wind.
5. What relative does Lysander plan to flee to with his beloved in A Midsummer Night's Dream?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His sister.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His grandmother.
6. For what purpose does Proteus hire the disguised Julia in Two Gentlemen of Verona?
(a) As a page.
(b) As a smith.
(c) As a messenger.
(d) As a courtier.
7. With whom is Hermia in love at the beginning of A Midsummer Night's Dream?
8. Where does Iachomo tell Pisanio to kill Imogen in Cymbeline?
9. At the beginning of Macbeth, the title character is than of what township?
10. In The Winter's Tale, Polixenes is the king of what kingdom?
11. In Merchant of Venice, why can Antonio not pay his bond to Shylock?
(a) His father recovers his health.
(b) His ships sink.
(c) His crops whither.
(d) His lands are seized by the state.
12. Why does Antonio agree to the "pound of flesh" condition in Shylock's bond?
(a) He knows no court will honor it.
(b) He wants to show Shylock he is not afraid.
(c) He does not read the full bond.
(d) He assumes it is a jest.
13. In whose clothes is Margaret dressed as part of the devious plot in Much Ado About Nothing?
(c) Don Pedro's.
14. Where do Belarius and her two brothers, Polydore and Cadwal, live?
(a) A hovel.
(b) A castle.
(c) A ship's hull.
(d) A cave.
15. In The Winter's Tale, what does Leontes want his counselors to ask the oracle at Delphos?
(a) If his son will be king.
(b) If his wife is faithful.
(c) If his kingdom is safe.
(d) If Polixenes is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bassanio need money at the beginning of Merchant of Venice?
2. What act of fidelity do Julia and Proteus commit when parting ways at the the beginning of Two Gentlemen of Verona?
3. In King Lear, Edmund is the bastard son of what earl?
4. How does Julia respond to Valentine's offering of Silvia to Proteus?
5. What does Portia disguise herself as at the end of Merchant of Venice?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)