|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lamb describe Hero at the beginning of Much Ado About Nothing?
2. Which of the following characters does not die at the end of King Lear?
3. What does Rosalind give Orlando when she first meets him?
(a) Her neck chain.
(b) A lock of her hair.
(c) A book of poems.
(d) Her handkerchief.
4. In The Winter's Tale, Polixenes is the king of what kingdom?
5. In As You Like it, how does Oliver plan to kill Orlando after his initial plan fails?
(a) He will burn him in his bed.
(b) He will poison his brandywine.
(c) He will stab him at the church.
(d) He will throw him from his horse.
6. Lying to his father in Two Gentlemen of Verona, Proteus says his letter from Julia is from whom?
(a) The duke of Milan.
7. What act of fidelity do Julia and Proteus commit when parting ways at the the beginning of Two Gentlemen of Verona?
(a) He takes her portrait.
(b) They exchange rings.
(c) They pray together.
(d) He gives her a lock of his hair.
8. How does Leontes want Polixenes killed at the beginning of The Winter's Tale?
(a) He wants him set ablaze.
(b) He wants him thrown from the battlements.
(c) He wants him stabbed.
(d) He wants him poisoned.
9. Why does Bassanio need money at the beginning of Merchant of Venice?
(a) He wants to start a shipping business.
(b) He needs to pay off gambling debts.
(c) He wants to buy land in the country.
(d) He wants to marry a wealthy heiress.
10. Whom does Celia fall in love with in As You Like It?
(d) The duke.
11. The ghost of which character appears at Macbeth's banquet?
(b) Lady Macduff.
(d) The thane of Cawdor.
12. At the beginning of King Lear, Cordelia says she loves her father to what extent?
(a) As much as she loves her husband.
(b) As much as a ll the world combined.
(c) As much as her life.
(d) As much as her duty says.
13. In The Tempest, where on the island do Sycorax imprison good spirits?
(a) In trees.
(b) In clouds.
(c) In the water.
(d) Under the sands.
14. With whom is Hermia in love at the beginning of A Midsummer Night's Dream?
15. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
(a) He wants to give his daughters a gift.
(b) He wants to leave England.
(c) She hates being king.
(d) He is old and tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Nerissa fall in love with in Merchant of Venice?
2. In King Lear, Edmund is the bastard son of what earl?
3. At the end of As You Like It, whom does the duke's brother meet as he enters the forest to kill him?
4. Who concocts the scheme to marry Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing?
5. In A Midsummer Night's Dream, what penalty does Hermia face if she refuses he father's choice of marriage?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)