|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of The Winter's Tale, what does Leontes order regarding his new daughter?
(a) She should be given to Polixenes.
(b) She should remain with him.
(c) She should be left to die in the wilderness.
(d) She should be imprisoned with her mother.
2. In The Tempest, what important items does Prospero have that allow him to use magic on the island?
3. In The Tempest, where on the island do Sycorax imprison good spirits?
(a) In the water.
(b) In trees.
(c) Under the sands.
(d) In clouds.
4. Why does Proteus betray Valentine's love of Silvia to the duke in Two Gentlemen of Verona?
(a) He does no know the duke has other plans for Silvia.
(b) He has sworn feelty to the duke.
(c) He intends to help them leave Milan.
(d) He loves SIlvia too.
5. Who has gone to war with Britain in Cymbeline?
(b) The Turks.
6. What role does Ariel take on the island in The Tempest?
(a) Prospero's assistant.
(b) Sycorax's suitor.
(c) Caliban's accomplice.
(d) Miranda's ward.
7. How do Claudio and Don Pedro indicate to Benedick that Beatrice loves him in Much Ado About Nothing?
(a) They tell him outright.
(b) They leave a note for him to find.
(c) They let him overhear a conversation.
(d) They show him Beatrice's journal.
8. Where do Belarius and her two brothers, Polydore and Cadwal, live?
(a) A castle.
(b) A ship's hull.
(c) A cave.
(d) A hovel.
9. What good news does Antonio learn after winning his case against Shylock?
(a) He has been promoted to magistrate.
(b) His father will not die.
(c) Nerissa accepts his hand in marriage.
(d) His ships are not lost.
10. At his castles, what appears before Macbeth directing him to Duncan's chamber?
(a) A witch.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A stream of blood.
(d) A black horse.
11. In The Winter's Tale, Polixenes is the king of what kingdom?
12. What head of state is with Antonio on the ship in The Tempest?
(a) The king of Naples.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The prince-regent of England.
(d) A duke of Milan.
13. What news does the wicked Queen tell the King at the beginning of Cymbeline?
(a) Imogen and Posthumus are married.
(b) Posthumus attempted to ravish her.
(c) Imogen is not his true daughter.
(d) There is a poisoner in the court.
14. Who concocts the scheme to marry Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing?
(a) Don Pedro.
15. Why does Lear wander into a storm at night?
(a) He wants to gather an army together.
(b) He is looking for Cordelia.
(c) He has not bathed in days.
(d) He does not want to live with his daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In As You Like It, what is Orlando doing the first time Rosalind sees him?
2. Who is the beggar whose hovel Lear sleeps in during the storm?
3. At the end of Much Ado About Nothing, Hero pretends to be her own what?
4. What does Portia disguise herself as at the end of Merchant of Venice?
5. In Merchant of Venice, how does Shylock make money as a usurer?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)