|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Tom get if his deception is uncovered?
2. What city is Tom traveling to next?
3. Who do the police say Freddie may have been killed by?
4. Who do Marge and Tom meet for dinner?
5. What does Mr. Greenleaf say the Italian police are as useless as?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)