|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tom say he was with on the 2nd of February in Rome?
2. Who has Mr. Greenleaf hired?
3. What does Tom decide to leave in Venice?
4. What is the bottom of the boat covered in?
5. What part of Italy does Tom think Dickie may be hiding in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom decide is a great thing about Europe?
2. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
3. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
4. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
5. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
6. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
7. What does Mr. Greenleaf write in his letter to Tom?
8. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
9. Why does Tom love his possessions?
10. Why does Tom hate being himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)