|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom decide to leave in Venice?
2. Who does Tom receive a letter from in this chapter?
3. What name have Dickie's belongings been found under?
4. What does Tom think is a great thing about Europe?
5. What does Tom cover Freddie's bloody head with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
2. Why does it frighten Tom that he has to go to Naples to verify Tom's signature in person?
3. Why do the police want to know where Tom Ripley is ?
4. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
5. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
6. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
7. What does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf about Dickie's murder?
8. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
9. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
10. Why does Tom love his possessions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)