|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Naples bank demand?
2. Who does Tom think of when he wakes up?
3. Who does Tom want the police to believe killed Freddie?
4. Who do the police say Freddie may have been killed by?
5. What does Marge drink at the cocktail party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf about Dickie's murder?
2. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
3. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
4. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
5. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
6. Why does it frighten Tom that he has to go to Naples to verify Tom's signature in person?
7. What do the police tell Tom on the phone?
8. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
9. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
10. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)