|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom decide to leave in Venice?
2. What does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf he has found in Dickie's suitcase?
3. What kind of car does Freddie drive?
4. Which two months' checks do the banks think were forged?
5. What is Tom working on when the police arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
2. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
3. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
4. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
5. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
6. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
7. Why does Tom love his possessions?
8. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
9. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
10. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
In 1999 THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY was made into a film starring Matt Damon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 54 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)