|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bar Tom asks Marge to meet him at?
2. What does Tom steal from Freddie?
3. Who do Marge and Tom meet for dinner?
4. What does Tom splash on the front of Freddie's shirt?
5. Who does Tom want the police to believe killed Freddie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
2. What does Marge think about the situation with Dickie?
3. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
4. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
5. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
6. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
7. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
8. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
9. What does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf about Dickie's murder?
10. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)