|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tom identify himself as at the police station?
2. What kind of car does Freddie drive?
3. Which two months' checks do the banks think were forged?
4. What transport does Tom use to travel to Palermo?
5. What is the name of the boat Tom takes to Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
2. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
3. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
4. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
5. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
6. What does Marge think about the situation with Dickie?
7. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
8. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
9. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
10. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)