|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Freddie drive?
2. Who do the police say Freddie may have been killed by?
3. What does Tom steal from Freddie?
4. Who phones Tom after the police leave?
5. What does Tom splash on the front of Freddie's shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
2. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
3. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
4. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
5. Why does Tom think Marge is so friendly to Mr. Greenleaf?
6. What does Tom read in the newspapers in Chapter 30?
7. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
8. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
9. What do the police tell Tom on the phone?
10. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Highsmith express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)