|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom treat himself to in the evening?
2. Who does Tom think of when he wakes up?
3. Who does Tom write to at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What will Tom get if his deception is uncovered?
5. What does Tom think he will beat Marge with if she refuses to believe him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
2. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
3. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
4. What does Tom decide is a great thing about Europe?
5. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
6. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
7. What do the police tell Tom on the phone?
8. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
9. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
10. What does Marge think about the situation with Dickie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Highsmith express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)