|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marge phone at 8.30 am?
2. What does Tom say is his only regret?
3. What does Mr. Greenleaf say the Italian police are as useless as?
4. How does Alvin McCarron travel to Rome?
5. Who does Tom want the police to believe killed Freddie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
2. Why does Tom think Marge is so friendly to Mr. Greenleaf?
3. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
4. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
5. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
6. What does Mr. Greenleaf write in his letter to Tom?
7. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
8. Why does Tom hate being himself?
9. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
10. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1999 THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY was made into a film starring Matt Damon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 54 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)