|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say is his only regret?
2. Who phones Tom after the police leave?
3. What does McCarron want to know?
4. Who does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest Dickie's traded his passport with?
5. What do the Franchetti brothers go out to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police want to know where Tom Ripley is ?
2. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
3. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
4. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
5. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
6. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
7. What does Marge think about the situation with Dickie?
8. Why does Tom think Marge is so friendly to Mr. Greenleaf?
9. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
10. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Highsmith express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)