|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's middle name?
2. Where does Tom rent a palazzo?
3. What is the name of the bar Tom asks Marge to meet him at?
4. What does Mrs. Cartwright tell stories about?
5. Who does Tom identify himself as at the police station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
2. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
3. What does Tom decide is a great thing about Europe?
4. Why does Tom hate being himself?
5. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
6. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
7. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
8. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
9. What does Tom read in the newspapers in Chapter 30?
10. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between Tom and Dickie? How can Tom can impersonate Dickie so well despite these differences? Why does Tom want to be Dickie so much?
Essay Topic 3
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)