|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is returning to the U.S. at the end of the week?
2. What is Tom's middle name?
3. Whose whereabouts do the police want to know about?
4. Who does Marge say she understands are a couple?
5. What does Tom think he will beat Marge with if she refuses to believe him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Greenleaf write in his letter to Tom?
2. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
3. What does Tom decide is a great thing about Europe?
4. Why does Tom love his possessions?
5. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
6. Why does it frighten Tom that he has to go to Naples to verify Tom's signature in person?
7. Why does Tom think Marge is so friendly to Mr. Greenleaf?
8. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
9. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
10. Why does Tom hate being himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)