|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Italy does Tom think Dickie may be hiding in?
2. What does Tom tell McCarron that Dickie could never have done?
3. What does Tom buy at 8 am?
4. Who phones Tom after the police leave?
5. Who does Tom write to at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marge think about the situation with Dickie?
2. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
3. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
4. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
5. Why do the police want to know where Tom Ripley is ?
6. What does Tom read in the newspapers in Chapter 30?
7. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
8. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
9. Why does Tom love his possessions?
10. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)