|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marge say she understands are a couple?
2. What does McCarron want to know?
3. What is the name of the bar Tom asks Marge to meet him at?
4. What has Tom's friend, Bob, been questioning everyone about?
5. Why is Tom worried about going to the Naples bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the police tell Tom on the phone?
2. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
3. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
4. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
5. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
6. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
7. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
8. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
9. What does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf about Dickie's murder?
10. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the difference between American and European culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)