|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of mood does Tom think Marge is in?
2. What is Marge's surname?
3. Where does Tom spend five days wandering around?
4. What do the banks suspect?
5. Who does Tom identify himself as at the police station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
2. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
3. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
4. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
5. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
6. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
7. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
8. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
9. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
10. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Highsmith's life. In what way do you think her life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is she like or unlike Tom Ripley?
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)