|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dickie receive a long letter from?
2. What do the Franchetti brothers go out to buy?
3. What does Tom tell McCarron that Dickie could never have done?
4. Where does Tom rent a palazzo?
5. Who does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest Dickie's traded his passport with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom think Marge is so friendly to Mr. Greenleaf?
2. What does Tom read in the newspapers in Chapter 30?
3. What do the police tell Tom on the phone?
4. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
5. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
6. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
7. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
8. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
9. What does Marge think about the situation with Dickie?
10. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1999 THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY was made into a film starring Matt Damon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 54 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)