|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose whereabouts do the police want to know about?
2. What does Marge drink at the cocktail party?
3. Where does an American invite Marge?
4. Where does Tom hide Dickie's passport?
5. What does Tom tell McCarron that Dickie could never have done?
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the difference between American and European culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)