|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom buy at 8 am?
2. Where does Tom rent a palazzo?
3. What does Tom treat himself to in the evening?
4. Who is under suspicion for Freddie's murder?
5. Who do the police believe is guilty of the murders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
2. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
3. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
4. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
5. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
6. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
7. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
8. Why does Tom hate being himself?
9. Why do the police want to know where Tom Ripley is ?
10. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Highsmith's life. In what way do you think her life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is she like or unlike Tom Ripley?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)