|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is under suspicion for Freddie's murder?
2. What does Tom say he fears has happened to Dickie?
3. Who does Dickie receive a long letter from?
4. What does Marge drink at the cocktail party?
5. What does Tom treat himself to in the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marge think about the situation with Dickie?
2. What does Tom read in the newspapers in Chapter 30?
3. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
4. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
5. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
6. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
7. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
8. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
9. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
10. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)