|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say he fears has happened to Dickie?
2. What is the name of the boat Tom takes to Greece?
3. What part of Italy is Palermo in?
4. What is Tom working on when the police arrive?
5. Who does Tom write a letter to in June?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
2. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
3. What does Tom decide is a great thing about Europe?
4. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
5. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
6. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
7. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
8. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
9. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
10. Why do the police want to know where Tom Ripley is ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)