|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Mr. Greenleaf hired?
2. What do the banks suspect?
3. What kind of money in Freddie's wallet does Tom burn?
4. Who does Tom write a letter to in June?
5. What is Marge's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
2. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
3. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
4. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
5. What does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf about Dickie's murder?
6. What does Tom read in the newspapers in Chapter 30?
7. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
8. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
9. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
10. What does Mr. Greenleaf write in his letter to Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)