|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper running Dickie's life story?
2. What does the countess inform Tom?
3. Who do the police say Freddie may have been killed by?
4. What does Marge drink at the cocktail party?
5. What language is Tom grateful that the detective cannot speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
2. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
3. Why does Tom love his possessions?
4. Why does Tom think Marge is so friendly to Mr. Greenleaf?
5. Why does Tom hate being himself?
6. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
7. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
8. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
9. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
10. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Highsmith's life. In what way do you think her life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is she like or unlike Tom Ripley?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)