|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom tell Marge Dickie gave him in Rome?
2. What do the Franchetti brothers go out to buy?
3. What will Tom get if his deception is uncovered?
4. What is the name of the boat Tom takes to Greece?
5. What is the only modern part of the palazzo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
2. What do the police tell Tom on the phone?
3. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
4. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
5. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
6. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
7. Why does Tom hate being himself?
8. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
9. Why does it frighten Tom that he has to go to Naples to verify Tom's signature in person?
10. Why do the police want to know where Tom Ripley is ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)