|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Greenleaf say the Italian police are as useless as?
2. What is Marge's surname?
3. How does Alvin McCarron travel to Rome?
4. What does Tom steal from Freddie?
5. Who does Tom write a letter to in June?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
2. What does Tom read in the newspapers in Chapter 30?
3. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
4. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
5. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
6. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
7. What does Tom tell Marge on the phone?
8. How do the police think Freddie was murdered?
9. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
10. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)