|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom working on when the police arrive?
2. Where do the police want Dickie to return to?
3. What is Tom's middle name?
4. Who phones Tom after the police leave?
5. Who do the police say Freddie may have been killed by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it frighten Tom that he has to go to Naples to verify Tom's signature in person?
2. What information does McCarron want from Tom?
3. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
4. Why does Tom love his possessions?
5. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
6. Why does Tom hate being himself?
7. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
8. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
9. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
10. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)