|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom hope Marge will forget?
2. What is the name of the newspaper running Dickie's life story?
3. Who does Tom receive a letter from in this chapter?
4. What does Tom buy at 8 am?
5. Who do Marge and Tom meet for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom say to Mr. Greeenleaf in his letter in June?
2. Why does Tom hate being himself?
3. What does Mr. Greenleaf write in his letter to Tom?
4. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
5. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
6. How does Tom try to hide that Freddie is dead when he takes him outside?
7. What did a man see outside of Dickie's apartment?
8. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
9. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
10. What does Tom decide is a great thing about Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between Tom and Dickie? How can Tom can impersonate Dickie so well despite these differences? Why does Tom want to be Dickie so much?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)