|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Herbert's wife?
2. What item of Dickie's clothing does Tom wear?
3. Who does Tom initially think the man is?
4. What part of France does Tom say he would like to see?
5. What is the name of the place Tom sees the man coming out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
2. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
3. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
4. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
5. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
6. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
7. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
8. Why is Tom frightened of water?
9. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
10. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)