|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job does Tom say Dick would have to come back to?
2. What drink does Tom order at the bar?
3. Why does Marge not want to go to San Remo with the two boys?
4. When does Dickie say he will fly back home for a few days?
5. Where is Tom originally from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
2. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
3. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
4. Why does Tom immediately hate Marge?
5. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
6. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
7. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
8. In what way is Tom's new cap versatile?
9. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
10. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)