Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom have to take care of his passport business?
2. When does Dickie say he will fly back home for a few days?
3. What kind of air does Tom think his cap gives him?
4. Where is the Greenleafs' New York City apartment?
5. Where does Tom ask Dickie if he wants to go in a coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
2. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
3. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
4. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
5. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
6. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
7. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
8. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
9. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
10. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Discuss Highsmith's life. In what way do you think her life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is she like or unlike Tom Ripley?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)