|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom ask Dickie if he wants to go in a coffin?
2. What is the name of the cafe where Tom meets a young American?
3. Where does Tom tell Marge Dickie is staying?
4. Who is the card from?
5. Where does Dickie want to cruise around in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
2. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
3. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
4. In what way is Tom's new cap versatile?
5. Why does Tom feel proud of the work he has done for Mr. Greenleaf?
6. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
7. Why does Tom have a long conversation with a painter called Carlino?
8. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
9. Why does Tom immediately hate Marge?
10. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
Essay Topic 2
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the difference between American and European culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)