|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only reason Dickie thinks he would go home?
2. What is Marge wearing the next day?
3. What is a Hermes Baby?
4. What color is Tom's stationery box?
5. What does Tom eat for his first course at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
2. Why is Tom frightened of water?
3. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
4. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
5. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
6. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
7. How does the morning Tom sets sail start off badly for him?
8. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
9. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
10. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)