Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom have to take care of his passport business?
2. When does Dickie say he will fly back home for a few days?
3. What kind of air does Tom think his cap gives him?
4. Where is the Greenleafs' New York City apartment?
5. Where does Tom ask Dickie if he wants to go in a coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
2. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
3. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
4. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
5. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
6. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
7. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
8. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
9. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
10. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)