|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel Tom stays at?
2. What does Tom say he wants time to do aboard the ship?
3. What is Marge wearing the next day?
4. Where is Tom sailing to?
5. What kind of boat did Tom work on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
2. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
3. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
4. Why is it safe for Tom to tell the Greenleafs he studied in Princeton?
5. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
6. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
7. Why does Tom have a long conversation with a painter called Carlino?
8. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
9. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
10. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the difference between American and European culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)