|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom have to take care of his passport business?
2. When does Dickie say he will fly back home for a few days?
3. What kind of air does Tom think his cap gives him?
4. Where is the Greenleafs' New York City apartment?
5. Where does Tom ask Dickie if he wants to go in a coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
2. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
3. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
4. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
5. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
6. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
7. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
8. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
9. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
10. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the difference between American and European culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)