|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom say Dickie will meet Marge before she leaves?
2. What is inside the basket on Tom's cabin floor?
3. Who likes to stay at the Hassler?
4. Where does Dickie want to cruise around in the winter?
5. What does Tom buy to go with his cap?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
2. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
3. Why does Tom have a long conversation with a painter called Carlino?
4. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
5. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
6. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
7. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
8. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
9. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
10. Why is it safe for Tom to tell the Greenleafs he studied in Princeton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)