|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel Tom stays at in Rome?
2. Where does Tom say Dickie will meet Marge before she leaves?
3. What did Dickie send Marge from Paris?
4. Where is the Greenleafs' New York City apartment?
5. What college did Tom first go to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
2. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
3. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
4. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
5. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
6. Why does Tom hate being himself?
7. Why does Tom love his possessions?
8. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
9. How does Tom fake Dickie's will?
10. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)