|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of air does Tom think his cap gives him?
2. What king of lighter does Tom have?
3. What kind of alcohol does Bob give Tom?
4. What kind of firm does Tom say Rothenburg, Fleming and Barter's is?
5. What nationality is the French girl's fiance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
3. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
4. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
5. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
6. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
7. How does Tom kill Dickie?
8. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
9. In what way is Tom's new cap versatile?
10. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between Tom and Dickie? How can Tom can impersonate Dickie so well despite these differences? Why does Tom want to be Dickie so much?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)