|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lessons does Tom take from an old man in Rome?
2. What is Tom afraid of?
3. What is the name of the hotel Tom stays at in Rome?
4. Which of the following does Tom say his cap could not make him look like?
5. What kind of face does Tom think he has?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
2. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
3. How does Tom kill Dickie?
4. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
5. Why does Tom have a long conversation with a painter called Carlino?
6. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
7. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
8. In what way is Tom's new cap versatile?
9. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
10. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Highsmith express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the difference between American and European culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)