Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom have to take care of his passport business?
2. When does Dickie say he will fly back home for a few days?
3. What kind of air does Tom think his cap gives him?
4. Where is the Greenleafs' New York City apartment?
5. Where does Tom ask Dickie if he wants to go in a coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Tom give for Dickie being despondent?
2. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
3. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
4. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
5. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
6. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
7. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
8. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie?
9. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
10. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)