|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cafe where Tom meets a young American?
2. What kind of face does Tom think he has?
3. What does Tom say is the first step to getting Dickie home?
4. What king of lighter does Tom have?
5. Where does Marge tell Dickie she is going to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
2. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
3. How is being Dickie different from what Tom expected?
4. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
5. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
6. What do the newspapers say about Dickie?
7. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
8. Why is it safe for Tom to tell the Greenleafs he studied in Princeton?
9. What does one of the Franchetti brothers jokingly suggest about Dickie?
10. What do the police tell Tom on the phone?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Highsmith express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between Tom and Dickie? How can Tom can impersonate Dickie so well despite these differences? Why does Tom want to be Dickie so much?
Essay Topic 3
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)