|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bob's job?
2. What does Tom beat Dickie with?
3. What does Tom give Bob for a present?
4. What is Marge wearing the next day?
5. What kind of meat does Dickie say he always used to eat on a Sunday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
2. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
3. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
4. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
5. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
6. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
7. Why is it safe for Tom to tell the Greenleafs he studied in Princeton?
8. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
9. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
10. Why does Tom have a long conversation with a painter called Carlino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
How could Tom get rid of his loneliness? How does killing Dickie and Freddie make Tom even lonelier? How much has Tom's loneliness affected his mindset?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)