|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom's aunt live?
2. What does Tom visit in Rome?
3. What is Marge's job?
4. What kind of firm does Tom say Rothenburg, Fleming and Barter's is?
5. What is Dickie's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
2. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
3. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
4. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
5. In what way is Tom's new cap versatile?
6. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
7. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
8. How does the morning Tom sets sail start off badly for him?
9. Why is Tom frightened of water?
10. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)