|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tom sailing to?
2. What city has Mr. Greenleaf gone to on business?
3. When does Dickie say he will fly back home for a few days?
4. Where does Marge tell Dickie she is going to?
5. What is Frieda Hoehn's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
2. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
3. Why is Tom frightened of water?
4. How does Tom raise the police's suspicions?
5. Why does Marge think that Dickie's signature must have changed?
6. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
7. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
8. What does Mr. Greenleaf write in his letter to Tom?
9. What does the countess tell Tom in Chapter 29?
10. How does Tom exaggerate the Tom Ripley persona?
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between Tom and Dickie? How can Tom can impersonate Dickie so well despite these differences? Why does Tom want to be Dickie so much?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)