|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What king of lighter does Tom have?
2. What city has Mr. Greenleaf gone to on business?
3. What is Tom afraid of?
4. What is a Hermes Baby?
5. Which of the following does Tom say his cap could not make him look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
2. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
3. Why does Tom have a long conversation with a painter called Carlino?
4. In what way is Tom's new cap versatile?
5. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
6. How does Tom kill Dickie?
7. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
8. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
9. Why does Tom immediately hate Marge?
10. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
In 1999 THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY was made into a film starring Matt Damon. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 54 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Highsmith use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character ,examine the way Highsmith uses the other characters in the story. When does she introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)