|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of face does Tom think he has?
2. Where does Tom's aunt live?
3. What does Tom say he can fly?
4. What is the only reason Dickie thinks he would go home?
5. What does Tom say is the first step to getting Dickie home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom kill Dickie?
2. Why is it safe for Tom to tell the Greenleafs he studied in Princeton?
3. Why is Tom frightened of water?
4. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
5. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
6. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
7. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
8. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
9. Why does Tom have a long conversation with a painter called Carlino?
10. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)