|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What king of lighter does Tom have?
2. What is the name of the hotel Tom stays at in Rome?
3. Who does Tom initially think the man is?
4. What part of France does Tom say he would like to see?
5. What does Tom give Bob for a present?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
2. Why does Tom immediately hate Marge?
3. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
4. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
5. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
6. In what way is Tom's new cap versatile?
7. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
8. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
9. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
10. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)