|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What king of lighter does Tom have?
2. What kind of firm does Tom say Rothenburg, Fleming and Barter's is?
3. Where does Dickie want to cruise around in the winter?
4. What language does Tom study?
5. What is the name of Herbert Greenleaf's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
2. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
3. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
4. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
5. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
6. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
7. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
8. How does Tom kill Dickie?
9. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
10. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How could Tom get rid of his loneliness? How does killing Dickie and Freddie make Tom even lonelier? How much has Tom's loneliness affected his mindset?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between Tom and Dickie? How can Tom can impersonate Dickie so well despite these differences? Why does Tom want to be Dickie so much?
Essay Topic 3
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)