|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside the basket on Tom's cabin floor?
2. What does Tom give Bob for a present?
3. What does Tom eat for his first course at the restaurant?
4. What is Dickie's hobby?
5. What part of Tom's meal makes him feel mellow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
2. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
3. Why does Tom feel proud of the work he has done for Mr. Greenleaf?
4. How does Tom kill Dickie?
5. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
6. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
7. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
8. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
9. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
10. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Highsmith use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)