|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom hit Freddie with?
2. Who does Tom initially think the man is?
3. Where is Tom sailing to?
4. What is Tom afraid of?
5. What kind of cigarettes does Tom buy for Dickie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
2. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
3. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
4. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
5. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
6. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
7. How does Dickie anger Tom in Chapter 10?
8. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
9. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
10. What does Tom understand about Dickie in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ripley books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Highsmith writes the THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY in the third person. Why do you think Highsmith chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Highsmith wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)