|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of firm does Tom say Rothenburg, Fleming and Barter's is?
2. What does Tom say he wants time to do aboard the ship?
3. What did Dickie send Marge from Paris?
4. What is the name of the hotel Tom stays at?
5. What kind of party did Tom accompany Dickie to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom immediately hate Marge?
2. How does the morning Tom sets sail start off badly for him?
3. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
4. Why is it safe for Tom to tell the Greenleafs he studied in Princeton?
5. Why is Tom frightened of water?
6. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
7. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
8. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
9. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
10. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)