|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of air does Tom think his cap gives him?
2. What king of lighter does Tom have?
3. What college did Tom first go to?
4. What is the name of Herbert's wife?
5. Who does Tom meet on the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
2. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
3. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
4. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
5. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
6. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
7. How does Dickie anger Tom in Chapter 10?
8. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
9. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
10. Why is it safe for Tom to tell the Greenleafs he studied in Princeton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Highsmith's writing style. How would you describe Highsmith's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Highsmith's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)