|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color pants does Dickie wear?
2. What kind of party did Tom accompany Dickie to?
3. What is Marge wearing the next day?
4. What city does Tom travel to?
5. What is the name of Herbert Greenleaf's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
2. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
3. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
4. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
5. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
6. How does Tom know Charlie Schriever?
7. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
8. What lie does Tom tell Mr. Greenleaf?
9. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
10. How does the morning Tom sets sail start off badly for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)