|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom describe the color of his skin?
2. Where does Tom tell Marge Dickie is staying?
3. What color is the letterhead of Mr Greenleaf's letter?
4. Where does Joel work?
5. Where is Tom sailing to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
2. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
3. Why is Tom frightened of water?
4. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
5. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
6. How does Tom know Bob Delancey?
7. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
8. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
9. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
10. What brings tears to Tom's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the difference between American and European culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
Essay Topic 3
How could Tom get rid of his loneliness? How does killing Dickie and Freddie make Tom even lonelier? How much has Tom's loneliness affected his mindset?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)