|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dickie's mother send for him?
2. What kind of job does Tom say Dick would have to come back to?
3. Who is the card from?
4. What is William J. Slatterer's job?
5. What does Tom visit in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lies does Tom tell McCarron?
2. How does Mr. Greeleaf react when Marge tells him about Dickie's rings?
3. What lie does Tom tell Dickie when they meet?
4. Why can Tom not tell Marge what he really thinks about the party?
5. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
6. Who does Tom meet in Rome?
7. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
8. What does Tom take as a good sign on the train to Naples?
9. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
10. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Highsmith's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
Essay Topic 3
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is part of the crime genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Ripley series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas Highsmith used in the the Ripley books?
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)