|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is William J. Slatterer's job?
2. Where does Dickie want to cruise around in the winter?
3. Where is the Greenleafs' New York City apartment?
4. Where did Richard buy his black woolen socks?
5. What is the name of the place Tom sees the man coming out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
2. How does Tom want to prepare for meeting the Greenleafs for dinner?
3. How does Dickie anger Tom in Chapter 10?
4. What does Tom say to the Greenleafs in the postscript?
5. How does Tom kill Dickie?
6. What excuse does Tom give Marge for Dickie's absence?
7. Why does Carlo want two people to ride to Paris in a coffin?
8. How does Dickie insult Tom in Chapter 12?
9. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
10. Why does Tom like the relationship he has with Cleo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Highsmith portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tom suffer from being a homosexual in the Fifties? What do you think would happen to Tom if he openly admitted he was gay? How does Partricia Highsmith use the novel to comment on attitudes towards homosexuals in the Fifties?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Highsmith set the novel in Europe? How different was Europe to America in the fifties? How does Highsmith express these differences in the novel?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)