|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lessons does Tom take from an old man in Rome?
2. What is Frieda Hoehn's job?
3. What does Tom beat Dickie with?
4. What kind of alcohol does Bob give Tom?
5. What kind of boat did Tom work on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Tom been doing while alone in his hotel room?
2. Why does Tom feel proud of the work he has done for Mr. Greenleaf?
3. What does Tom rehearse in his hotel room?
4. What does Tom think is an average day for Dickie and Marge?
5. What does Tom write in a letter from Dickie to Marge?
6. What does Marge say in her letter to Dickie, dated January 4?
7. How does Dickie anger Tom in Chapter 10?
8. How does Dickie react when Tom tells him his father sent him to bring Dickie home?
9. Why is Tom frightened of water?
10. Who does Tom think is the man following him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What modes of communication are open to Ripley? How do the modes of communication Highsmith represents give the novel a sense of place and time?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Tom Ripley's's character across the whole series.
1) How does Highsmith develop Ripley's character across the whole series?
2) Does THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY add any new elements to Ripley's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tom hate himself? How much is this self-hatred responsible for Tom's actions so far in the book?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)