|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Genji prepare for his daughter's initiation?
2. What type of lessons does Genji give to the Third Princess?
3. What ceremony is Kaoru preparing for in Chapter 47?
4. How is the Second Princess's honor ruined?
5. What does Niou learn about Ukifune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the the importance of the role of women in the novel? Does the fact that the author is a woman influence the role of women in this book at all? Support your answer with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characterization of Murasaki and Ukifune.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Genji fathers many sons. Write about Yugiri, and infer as to how Yugiri may feel about his father's unrelenting antics, and seemingly selfish attitude as he has expressed at certain points within the text.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)