|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of competitions are held at Genji's banquet?
2. How old is Genji when he marries the Third Princess?
3. Who does Tamakazura marry?
4. Who does Niou send to Uji to ask about Ukifune's whereabouts?
5. In which season does Ukifune regain her health and strength?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characterization of Murasaki and Ukifune.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel Genji becomes ill with grief, then malaria. What could these sickness symbolize in Genji's character? Why might the author have chosen to use illness as symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Genji was very lucky with women as was Niou. Kaoru and Yugiri were not so lucky with women. Given these facts what is the novel suggesting what women want in a man? Do you believe Genji and Niou are much better men than Kaoru and Yugiri? Why or why not?
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)