|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of lessons does Genji give to the Third Princess?
2. Where does Nakanokimi hide Ukifune in Chapter 50?
3. What is the Suzako Emporer intent on doing that lends him the reason to send the Third Princess away?
4. At what point does Genji realize that he wants to be with the Third Princess very badly?
5. What is the wager between Kaoru and the Emporer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Genji is depicted as a womanizer, but he also has a softer side. Locate the moments in the text where Genji's softer side can be seen and explain how it develops his character and your opinion of his character.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)