|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person is used to resolve the conflict between To no Chujo and Genji?
2. How many children does Genji have?
3. Who does Kaoru send into the nunnery to retrieve Ukifune?
4. How does Ukifune attempt suicide?
5. What is Ukifune believed to be when she is found by the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Genji is a shameless womanizer throughout the bulk of the novel. What do you believe his actions toward women suggests about his character? Support your answers with specific references to and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel Genji becomes ill with grief, then malaria. What could these sickness symbolize in Genji's character? Why might the author have chosen to use illness as symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe is Genji's strongest characteristic? How is it exemplified throughout the story? Do you find that it helps or hinders him? How?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)