|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is dumped on Higekuro's head after his wife hears news of his marriage?
2. To whom does Kaoru pray while in the temple during his pilgrimage?
3. What is Ukifune's first impression of Niou.?
4. At what point does Genji realize that he wants to be with the Third Princess very badly?
5. What scares Niou off when he visits the Uji palace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Can you see a parallel between Niou and Kaoru with Genji and To no Chujo? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Genji fathers many sons. Write about Yugiri, and infer as to how Yugiri may feel about his father's unrelenting antics, and seemingly selfish attitude as he has expressed at certain points within the text.
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)