|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ukifune thinking about as she sits alone at the end of the novel?
2. Why does Genji want to visit the Akashi lady?
3. How many children does Genji have?
4. Where does the Second Princess join Lady Ichijo during an expedition?
5. What type of lessons does Genji give to the Third Princess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characterization of Murasaki and Ukifune.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, several of the women Genji wishes to pursue wish to become nuns instead of entering into a relationship with Genji. Given this fact would you believe that Genji is as desirable as he appears? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the author leaves certain events out? For instance, she left out the fact that Fujitsuo and Genji slept together; the reader does not realize this until much later. How does this add or take away from the story? What do you think? Why?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)