|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji avoid doing at the start of the rule of the Suzaku emperor?
2. Whose sister is Oborozukiyo?
3. What would hold Genji back from traveling away from home?
4. Where does Genji sit to relax with Yugiri on a hot summer day?
5. Where does the Princess Asagao live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the Safflower Princess at the beginning of Chapter 15?
2. During Kaoru's meeting with the Emporer, what is the Go board used for?
3. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
4. Why has the Eighth Prince renounced the world?
5. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
6. What really happened to Ukifune?
7. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
8. Who won the art contest held between Genji and To no Chujo? What did the court favor about the winner's style?
9. Why is it strange that Yugiri has tried to seduce the Second Princess?
10. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the the importance of the role of women in the novel? Does the fact that the author is a woman influence the role of women in this book at all? Support your answer with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Ukifune successfully escapes the advances made by Kaoru. While other women in the novel were not able to escape the clutches of men. Why is Ukifune's escape significant? Do you find that it is significant? What might her escape suggest?
Essay Topic 3
While on her death bed, Murasaki tells Genji about her wish to become a nun. Genji rejects her wish. Was this cruel of Genji why or why not? Is Genji selfish, an egotistical character? Explain.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)