|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji tell the Safflower Princess when he goes to visit her after his exile?
2. To whom does Yugiri send a love letter in Chapter 21?
3. Genji sleeps with this woman who is in her sixties.
4. From whose point of view is Chapter 15 written?
5. Where do the other women in the palace live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tamakazura to be under Genji's care, rather than To no Chujo?
2. Who won the art contest held between Genji and To no Chujo? What did the court favor about the winner's style?
3. Why does Kaoru begin to regret his refusal of Nakanokimi?
4. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
5. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
6. Explain the situation after the body of Ukifune was found.
7. What happens to Genji as he continues to grow old?
8. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
9. Explain the initial situation between Genji and Tamakazura.
10. Why does Genji need to keep his romances under wraps after abdication of the first emperor, his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, several of the women Genji wishes to pursue wish to become nuns instead of entering into a relationship with Genji. Given this fact would you believe that Genji is as desirable as he appears? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Can you see a parallel between Niou and Kaoru with Genji and To no Chujo? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characterization of Murasaki and Ukifune.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)