|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Genji's former nurse?
2. Which of the Safflower Princess's relatives begs her to come and stay?
3. After falling out of favor with the court where does Genji decide to go?
4. Where does the Rokujo lady feel the need to travel to during Chapter 10?
5. Who is Genji's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Ukifune's death described?
2. Murasaki finally dies after four years of illness. What was her dying wish and how did Genji react to it?
3. Genji comes into contact with his childhood friend Yugao. What happens to Yugao after she maintains contact with Genji? How does Genji deal with this event?
4. Explain Genji's death.
5. Why does Genji treat the Third Princess coldly after she gives birth to a son?
6. What is the condition of the Safflower Princess at the beginning of Chapter 15?
7. During Kaoru's meeting with the Emporer, what is the Go board used for?
8. Describe Genji's view on women.
9. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
10. What really happened to Ukifune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the the importance of the role of women in the novel? Does the fact that the author is a woman influence the role of women in this book at all? Support your answer with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is Genji's strongest characteristic? How is it exemplified throughout the story? Do you find that it helps or hinders him? How?
Essay Topic 3
After Genji's death, Kaoru becomes the main character of focus. How does Kaoru's character parallel Genji's character?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)