Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Genji sleep with when visiting his former nurse?
2. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
3. What would hold Genji back from traveling away from home?
4. Who is Genji's former nurse?
5. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
2. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
3. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
4. Describe Genji's view on women.
5. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
6. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
7. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
8. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
9. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
10. Explain Genji's death.
At one point in the novel Genji becomes ill with grief, then malaria. What could these sickness symbolize in Genji's character? Why might the author have chosen to use illness as symbolism?
Genji is a shameless womanizer throughout the bulk of the novel. What do you believe his actions toward women suggests about his character? Support your answers with specific references to and examples from the novel.
Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)