|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lady Rokujo's daughter?
2. Which attendant stays faithful to the Safflower princess?
3. Where does the Rokujo lady feel the need to travel to during Chapter 10?
4. Who does Genji fail to support during his exile?
5. Who is Tayu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
2. What does Genji decide to tell To no Chujo about Tamakazura? Why?
3. Why does Genji need to keep his romances under wraps after abdication of the first emperor, his father?
4. What does Niou learn about Ukifune that leads him to be distraught? Explain.
5. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
6. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
7. How does Oigimi hurt Kaoru?
8. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
9. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
10. What does Genji discover through his relationship with Reikeiden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Genji is depicted as a womanizer, but he also has a softer side. Locate the moments in the text where Genji's softer side can be seen and explain how it develops his character and your opinion of his character.
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe is the prevailing theme in the novel? Why? How do you interpret this theme?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)