|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Murasaki return the Empress Akikonomu's kind gesture in Chapter 24?
2. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
3. How does Genji try to seduce Princess Asagao?
4. What are Fujitsubo's intentions after her husband's death?
5. Who is angy about Genji's visits to Princess Asagao?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
2. Why is Kashiwagi jealous of the marriage between Genji and the Third Princess?
3. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
4. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
5. Describe Genji's view on women.
6. Explain the initial situation between Genji and Tamakazura.
7. After seeing the Third Princess as a nun Genji's feelings toward her changes, how?
8. What about Kaoru's manner makes the women want to joke with him?
9. What happens to Genji as he continues to grow old?
10. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the novel, health, the economy, and the weather are believed to be the result of what? Give some examples and explain this belief.
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is the prevailing theme in the novel? Why? How do you interpret this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Ukifune successfully escapes the advances made by Kaoru. While other women in the novel were not able to escape the clutches of men. Why is Ukifune's escape significant? Do you find that it is significant? What might her escape suggest?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)