|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji discover about casual relationships with women?
2. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
3. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
4. What are Fujitsubo's intentions after her husband's death?
5. Genji is concerned about the illness of _______ , Tamakazura's grandmother.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
2. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
3. Genji begins spending more time with the Akashi lady. How does Murasaki feel about this?
4. Describe the "masterpieces" Genji works on in Chapter 32.
5. What about Kaoru's manner makes the women want to joke with him?
6. After seeing the Third Princess as a nun Genji's feelings toward her changes, how?
7. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
8. Why may it be problematic for Genji to take care of Tamakazura?
9. Explain the initial situation between Genji and Tamakazura.
10. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ukifune successfully escapes the advances made by Kaoru. While other women in the novel were not able to escape the clutches of men. Why is Ukifune's escape significant? Do you find that it is significant? What might her escape suggest?
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is Genji's strongest characteristic? How is it exemplified throughout the story? Do you find that it helps or hinders him? How?
Essay Topic 3
Can you see a parallel between Niou and Kaoru with Genji and To no Chujo? Explain.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)