|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Aoi shortly after she gives birth to her son?
2. Who does Genji fail to support during his exile?
3. What striking feature has the Safflower Princess managed to keep over the years?
4. What word would must accurately describe Genji?
5. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
2. Why has the Eighth Prince renounced the world?
3. Why is it strange that Yugiri has tried to seduce the Second Princess?
4. How was Ukifune's death described?
5. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
6. Why does Genji need to keep his romances under wraps after abdication of the first emperor, his father?
7. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
8. What about Kaoru's manner makes the women want to joke with him?
9. What does Genji decide to tell To no Chujo about Tamakazura? Why?
10. Genji begins spending more time with the Akashi lady. How does Murasaki feel about this?
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel Genji becomes ill with grief, then malaria. What could these sickness symbolize in Genji's character? Why might the author have chosen to use illness as symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, several of the women Genji wishes to pursue wish to become nuns instead of entering into a relationship with Genji. Given this fact would you believe that Genji is as desirable as he appears? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While on her death bed, Murasaki tells Genji about her wish to become a nun. Genji rejects her wish. Was this cruel of Genji why or why not? Is Genji selfish, an egotistical character? Explain.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)