|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fujitsubo is ashamed of Genji's presence because:
2. What does Omiya tell Genji in Chapter 29?
3. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
4. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
5. Who is Genji's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Kaoru's meeting with the Emporer, what is the Go board used for?
2. Why does Genji want the Akashi lady to move closer to him?
3. It is discovered that Yugiri has never laid eyes upon Murasaki, the woman who acts as his mother. Why does Genji wish to keep her hidden?
4. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
5. Why does To no Chujo send his daughter, Kumoinokari to Omi?
6. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
7. Why may it be problematic for Genji to take care of Tamakazura?
8. What does Genji discover through his relationship with Reikeiden?
9. Describe Genji's view on women.
10. Explain the situation after the body of Ukifune was found.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author leaves certain events out? For instance, she left out the fact that Fujitsuo and Genji slept together; the reader does not realize this until much later. How does this add or take away from the story? What do you think? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Genji is a shameless womanizer throughout the bulk of the novel. What do you believe his actions toward women suggests about his character? Support your answers with specific references to and examples from the novel.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)