|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
2. What are Fujitsubo's intentions after her husband's death?
3. Who is Tayu?
4. What types of gifts does Murasaki send to Genji?
5. What does To no Chujo notice about Kumoinokari when he watches her sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the predicament between Genji and Oborozukiyo.
2. What really happened to Ukifune?
3. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
4. Describe the appearance of the Safflower Princess.
5. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
6. Who does Genji see when he visits the sage in the mountain? What is his reaction?
7. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
8. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
9. Why does To no Chujo send his daughter, Kumoinokari to Omi?
10. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is Genji's strongest characteristic? How is it exemplified throughout the story? Do you find that it helps or hinders him? How?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel Genji is depicted as a womanizer, but he also has a softer side. Locate the moments in the text where Genji's softer side can be seen and explain how it develops his character and your opinion of his character.
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)