|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Genji fail to support during his exile?
2. Who is caring for Genji at the beginning of Chapter 5 during his travel to mountains?
3. What or who does Genji dream about in Chapter 13?
4. Which lady does Genji begin spending time with in Chapter 11?
5. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
2. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
3. How does Genji rationalize the storm in Chapter 13?
4. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
5. Why has the Eighth Prince renounced the world?
6. Why does To no Chujo send his daughter, Kumoinokari to Omi?
7. Why does Kaoru begin to regret his refusal of Nakanokimi?
8. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
9. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
10. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Genji fathers many sons. Write about Yugiri, and infer as to how Yugiri may feel about his father's unrelenting antics, and seemingly selfish attitude as he has expressed at certain points within the text.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)