|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character dresses up in a disguise in Chapter 7?
2. Genji sleeps with this woman who is in her sixties.
3. From what does Genji fall ill at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What did Genji originally believe was the most desirable thing about the Rokujo Lady?
5. What does Genji think about Tamakazura's going to court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tamakazura to be under Genji's care, rather than To no Chujo?
2. What happens after Kaoru finds out that Ukifune is alive?
3. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
4. What does Genji decide to tell To no Chujo about Tamakazura? Why?
5. Why does the Lieutenant change his mind about marrying Ukifune?
6. How does Oigimi hurt Kaoru?
7. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
8. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
9. What does Genji discover through his relationship with Reikeiden?
10. Why has the Eighth Prince renounced the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
Essay Topic 2What do you believe is Genji's strongest characteristic? How is it exemplified throughout the story? Do you find that it helps or hinders him? How?
Essay Topic 3Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)