|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose point of view is Chapter 15 written?
2. What does Genji's father do to protect him?
3. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
4. Which of the following is not a trait of the Safflower Princess?
5. What does Genji avoid doing at the start of the rule of the Suzaku emperor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the Safflower Princess.
2. Describe the situation between Genji and Utsusemi after her husband falls ill.
3. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
4. What were the terms of Genji's birth?
5. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
6. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
7. How does Oigimi hurt Kaoru?
8. It is discovered that Yugiri has never laid eyes upon Murasaki, the woman who acts as his mother. Why does Genji wish to keep her hidden?
9. Describe the "masterpieces" Genji works on in Chapter 32.
10. Why is it strange that Yugiri has tried to seduce the Second Princess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the novel, health, the economy, and the weather are believed to be the result of what? Give some examples and explain this belief.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
While on her death bed, Murasaki tells Genji about her wish to become a nun. Genji rejects her wish. Was this cruel of Genji why or why not? Is Genji selfish, an egotistical character? Explain.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)