|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Genji send Yugiri in order to comfort his grandmother?
2. From what does Genji fall ill at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What is the Safflower Princesss's reaction to Genji upon his return from exile?
4. What happens to Yugao in Chapter 4?
5. What types of gifts does Murasaki send to Genji?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Genji as he continues to grow old?
2. What does Genji decide to tell To no Chujo about Tamakazura? Why?
3. Why does To no Chujo send his daughter, Kumoinokari to Omi?
4. Why is it strange that Yugiri has tried to seduce the Second Princess?
5. What is the condition of the Safflower Princess at the beginning of Chapter 15?
6. Why is Tamakazura reduced to tears at the sight of Kaoru?
7. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
8. What does Ukifune realize about Niou and Kaoru after living in the Ono village?
9. What happens after Kaoru finds out that Ukifune is alive?
10. Describe the situation between Genji and Utsusemi after her husband falls ill.
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the prevailing theme in the novel? Why? How do you interpret this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)