|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Akashi lady feel when she arrives at her new mansion?
2. Genji is in love with a woman whom he cannot have during the beginning of the novel. Who is this woman?
3. Who is Genji's go-between for he and the Safflower Princess?
4. Genji is concerned about the illness of _______ , Tamakazura's grandmother.
5. Who is Lady Rokujo's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Kaoru finds out that Ukifune is alive?
2. What does Niou learn about Ukifune that leads him to be distraught? Explain.
3. What is the condition of the Safflower Princess at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
5. Describe the predicament between Genji and Oborozukiyo.
6. Describe Genji's view on women.
7. Why does Kaoru begin to regret his refusal of Nakanokimi?
8. Describe the situation between Genji and Utsusemi after her husband falls ill.
9. Why does Genji treat the Third Princess coldly after she gives birth to a son?
10. What does Genji discover through his relationship with Reikeiden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
Essay Topic 2
Genji was very lucky with women as was Niou. Kaoru and Yugiri were not so lucky with women. Given these facts what is the novel suggesting what women want in a man? Do you believe Genji and Niou are much better men than Kaoru and Yugiri? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe is the prevailing theme in the novel? Why? How do you interpret this theme?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)