|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji do while he is visiting the Safflower Princess?
2. Where do the other women in the palace live?
3. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
4. What does the Empress Akikonomu send to Murasaki?
5. Why does Genji's father marry Fujitsubo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Genji's death.
2. What were the terms of Genji's birth?
3. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
4. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
5. How does Genji rationalize the storm in Chapter 13?
6. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
7. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
8. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
9. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
10. Who does Genji see when he visits the sage in the mountain? What is his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Genji is a shameless womanizer throughout the bulk of the novel. What do you believe his actions toward women suggests about his character? Support your answers with specific references to and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Genji was very lucky with women as was Niou. Kaoru and Yugiri were not so lucky with women. Given these facts what is the novel suggesting what women want in a man? Do you believe Genji and Niou are much better men than Kaoru and Yugiri? Why or why not?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)