|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does To no Chujo find frustrating about Kumoinokari?
2. Who is the crown prince after the Suzaku emperor's abdication?
3. Which character dresses up in a disguise in Chapter 7?
4. Why is Genji forlorn in Chapter 6?
5. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
2. Why does Genji treat the Third Princess coldly after she gives birth to a son?
3. After seeing the Third Princess as a nun Genji's feelings toward her changes, how?
4. What really happened to Ukifune?
5. Murasaki finally dies after four years of illness. What was her dying wish and how did Genji react to it?
6. What has become of the Safflower Princess since Genji's exile? Explain.
7. What about Kaoru's manner makes the women want to joke with him?
8. Why does Genji want the Akashi lady to move closer to him?
9. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
10. What does Niou learn about Ukifune that leads him to be distraught? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Genji fathers many sons. Write about Yugiri, and infer as to how Yugiri may feel about his father's unrelenting antics, and seemingly selfish attitude as he has expressed at certain points within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel Genji is depicted as a womanizer, but he also has a softer side. Locate the moments in the text where Genji's softer side can be seen and explain how it develops his character and your opinion of his character.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)