|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
2. What is the Safflower Princesss's reaction to Genji upon his return from exile?
3. What does Genji send to the Safflower Princess after his visit in Chapter 23?
4. Which of the Safflower Princess's relatives begs her to come and stay?
5. After falling out of favor with the court where does Genji decide to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Genji begins spending more time with the Akashi lady. How does Murasaki feel about this?
2. What were the terms of Genji's birth?
3. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
4. What does Genji decide to tell To no Chujo about Tamakazura? Why?
5. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
6. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
7. Why does To no Chujo send his daughter, Kumoinokari to Omi?
8. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
9. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
10. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is Genji's strongest characteristic? How is it exemplified throughout the story? Do you find that it helps or hinders him? How?
Essay Topic 2
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characterization of Murasaki and Ukifune.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)