|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Akashi lady's mansion located?
2. What does Murasaki compare Genji's behavior to since his visits to the Princess Asagao?
3. Who is Lady Rokujo's daughter?
4. What does To no Chujo find frustrating about Kumoinokari?
5. Who is the crown prince after the Suzaku emperor's abdication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ukifune realize about Niou and Kaoru after living in the Ono village?
2. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
3. Explain the situation after the body of Ukifune was found.
4. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
5. Why does the Lieutenant change his mind about marrying Ukifune?
6. It is discovered that Yugiri has never laid eyes upon Murasaki, the woman who acts as his mother. Why does Genji wish to keep her hidden?
7. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
8. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
9. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
10. What does Niou learn about Ukifune that leads him to be distraught? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the novel, health, the economy, and the weather are believed to be the result of what? Give some examples and explain this belief.
Essay Topic 2
Can you see a parallel between Niou and Kaoru with Genji and To no Chujo? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)