Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Genji sleep with when visiting his former nurse?
2. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
3. What would hold Genji back from traveling away from home?
4. Who is Genji's former nurse?
5. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
2. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
3. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
4. Describe Genji's view on women.
5. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
6. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
7. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
8. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
9. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
10. Explain Genji's death.
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, several of the women Genji wishes to pursue wish to become nuns instead of entering into a relationship with Genji. Given this fact would you believe that Genji is as desirable as he appears? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characterization of Murasaki and Ukifune.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)