Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Genji sleep with when visiting his former nurse?
2. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
3. What would hold Genji back from traveling away from home?
4. Who is Genji's former nurse?
5. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
2. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
3. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
4. Describe Genji's view on women.
5. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
6. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
7. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
8. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
9. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
10. Explain Genji's death.
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Genji fathers many sons. Write about Yugiri, and infer as to how Yugiri may feel about his father's unrelenting antics, and seemingly selfish attitude as he has expressed at certain points within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Genji is a shameless womanizer throughout the bulk of the novel. What do you believe his actions toward women suggests about his character? Support your answers with specific references to and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe is the prevailing theme in the novel? Why? How do you interpret this theme?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)