|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attempts to arrange a meeting between Genji and Utsusemi?
2. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
3. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
4. Who is Genji's best friend?
5. Which of the following is not a trait of the Safflower Princess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kashiwagi jealous of the marriage between Genji and the Third Princess?
2. How does Genji rationalize the storm in Chapter 13?
3. Why is it strange that Yugiri has tried to seduce the Second Princess?
4. Describe the predicament between Genji and Oborozukiyo.
5. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
6. What happens to Murasaki in Chapter 35?
7. Why has the Eighth Prince renounced the world?
8. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
9. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
10. How does Oigimi hurt Kaoru?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the prevailing theme in the novel? Why? How do you interpret this theme?
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is the the importance of the role of women in the novel? Does the fact that the author is a woman influence the role of women in this book at all? Support your answer with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Through the novel, health, the economy, and the weather are believed to be the result of what? Give some examples and explain this belief.
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)