|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does To no Chujo find frustrating about Kumoinokari?
2. Who is Akikonomu?
3. Genji is in love with a woman whom he cannot have during the beginning of the novel. Who is this woman?
4. Why do Genji and To no Chujo decide to compete against each other?
5. What happens to Aoi shortly after she gives birth to her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation between Genji and Utsusemi after her husband falls ill.
2. What happens after Kaoru finds out that Ukifune is alive?
3. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
4. What is the condition of the Safflower Princess at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
6. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
7. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
8. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
9. What were the terms of Genji's birth?
10. Explain the situation after the body of Ukifune was found.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Genji is a shameless womanizer throughout the bulk of the novel. What do you believe his actions toward women suggests about his character? Support your answers with specific references to and examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The author continues to write even after Genji's death takes place. Up until his death, the novel has centered upon Genji's character. Why do you believe that the novel continues afterward? What could this possibly suggest?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)