|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Empress Akikonomu send to Murasaki?
2. Which character dresses up in a disguise in Chapter 7?
3. What happens to Aoi shortly after she gives birth to her son?
4. Genji sleeps with this woman who is in her sixties.
5. Why does Genji's father marry Fujitsubo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kaoru begin to regret his refusal of Nakanokimi?
2. Why is Kashiwagi jealous of the marriage between Genji and the Third Princess?
3. Genji begins spending more time with the Akashi lady. How does Murasaki feel about this?
4. Who does Genji see when he visits the sage in the mountain? What is his reaction?
5. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
6. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
7. Describe Genji's view on women.
8. What is the condition of the Safflower Princess at the beginning of Chapter 15?
9. Why does Genji want the Akashi lady to move closer to him?
10. What does Ukifune realize about Niou and Kaoru after living in the Ono village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is Genji's strongest characteristic? How is it exemplified throughout the story? Do you find that it helps or hinders him? How?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Genji is depicted as a womanizer, but he also has a softer side. Locate the moments in the text where Genji's softer side can be seen and explain how it develops his character and your opinion of his character.
Essay Topic 3
Can you see a parallel between Niou and Kaoru with Genji and To no Chujo? Explain.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)