|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
2. Where does Genji send Yugiri after rumors spread of his rank being raised?
3. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
4. What does Genji notice about the Safflower Princess during a visit in Chapter 23?
5. Who is Genji's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
2. Genji begins spending more time with the Akashi lady. How does Murasaki feel about this?
3. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
4. Describe the situation between Genji and Utsusemi after her husband falls ill.
5. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
6. Describe the predicament between Genji and Oborozukiyo.
7. Why does Genji treat the Third Princess coldly after she gives birth to a son?
8. What does Ukifune realize about Niou and Kaoru after living in the Ono village?
9. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
10. Murasaki finally dies after four years of illness. What was her dying wish and how did Genji react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Genji's death, Kaoru becomes the main character of focus. How does Kaoru's character parallel Genji's character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, several of the women Genji wishes to pursue wish to become nuns instead of entering into a relationship with Genji. Given this fact would you believe that Genji is as desirable as he appears? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Can you see a parallel between Niou and Kaoru with Genji and To no Chujo? Explain.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)