|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which attendant stays faithful to the Safflower princess?
2. Where does Genji send Yugiri in order to comfort his grandmother?
3. What happens to Genji's mother at the beginning of the novel?
4. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
5. From what does Genji fall ill at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Niou learn about Ukifune that leads him to be distraught? Explain.
2. How does Oigimi hurt Kaoru?
3. Explain the initial situation between Genji and Tamakazura.
4. Why does To no Chujo send his daughter, Kumoinokari to Omi?
5. Why is Tamakazura reduced to tears at the sight of Kaoru?
6. Explain the situation after the body of Ukifune was found.
7. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
8. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
9. What does Genji decide to tell To no Chujo about Tamakazura? Why?
10. What about Kaoru's manner makes the women want to joke with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can you see a parallel between Niou and Kaoru with Genji and To no Chujo? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Tamakazura is left in the care of Genji even after finding the To no Chujo is her true father. Tamakazura becomes increasingly confused. Use examples from the text to support Tamakazura's feelings of confusion toward Genji and To no Chujo.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Genji fathers many sons. Write about Yugiri, and infer as to how Yugiri may feel about his father's unrelenting antics, and seemingly selfish attitude as he has expressed at certain points within the text.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)