|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji discover about casual relationships with women?
2. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
3. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
4. Where does Genji send Yugiri in order to comfort his grandmother?
5. Where do the other women in the palace live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
2. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
3. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
4. What has become of the Safflower Princess since Genji's exile? Explain.
5. Explain Genji's death.
6. What happens to Genji as he continues to grow old?
7. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
8. Describe the predicament between Genji and Oborozukiyo.
9. Why is it strange that Yugiri has tried to seduce the Second Princess?
10. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
Essay Topic 3
After Genji's death, Kaoru becomes the main character of focus. How does Kaoru's character parallel Genji's character?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)