|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Genji hurt during Chapter 9?
2. Why does Genji's father marry Fujitsubo?
3. Who does Genji admire during his stay in the mountains?
4. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
5. What is believed to be the cause of the situation in Genji's homeland since he has left home in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
2. Describe Genji's view on women.
3. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
4. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
5. What happens to Murasaki in Chapter 35?
6. Murasaki finally dies after four years of illness. What was her dying wish and how did Genji react to it?
7. What does Ukifune realize about Niou and Kaoru after living in the Ono village?
8. How does Genji rationalize the storm in Chapter 13?
9. Describe the predicament between Genji and Oborozukiyo.
10. What happens to Genji as he continues to grow old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel Genji becomes ill with grief, then malaria. What could these sickness symbolize in Genji's character? Why might the author have chosen to use illness as symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Through the novel, health, the economy, and the weather are believed to be the result of what? Give some examples and explain this belief.
Essay Topic 3
Genji was very lucky with women as was Niou. Kaoru and Yugiri were not so lucky with women. Given these facts what is the novel suggesting what women want in a man? Do you believe Genji and Niou are much better men than Kaoru and Yugiri? Why or why not?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)