Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Genji sleep with when visiting his former nurse?
2. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
3. What would hold Genji back from traveling away from home?
4. Who is Genji's former nurse?
5. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
2. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
3. What did the fortune teller predict for Genji?
4. Describe Genji's view on women.
5. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
6. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
7. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
8. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
9. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
10. Explain Genji's death.
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel To no Chujo is in constant competition with Genji. Analyze and describe the internal conflict that To no Chujo may be feeling. Be sure to cite specific instances from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Could Ukifune's suicide attempt and escape from Kaoru and Niou be a metaphor for something else? What? How do you see this demonstrated in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Genji was very lucky with women as was Niou. Kaoru and Yugiri were not so lucky with women. Given these facts what is the novel suggesting what women want in a man? Do you believe Genji and Niou are much better men than Kaoru and Yugiri? Why or why not?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)