|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Safflower Princesss's reaction to Genji upon his return from exile?
2. Who is caring for Genji at the beginning of Chapter 5 during his travel to mountains?
(a) A sage.
(b) A Bishop.
(c) His nurse.
3. What does Genji do while he is visiting the Safflower Princess?
(a) Look at her through a blurred curtain.
(b) Stare at her intensly.
(c) Hold her close.
(d) Look at her with loving eyes.
4. Who attempts to arrange a meeting between Genji and Utsusemi?
(a) Utsusemi's father.
(b) Utsusemi's brother.
(c) Tu no Chujo.
(d) Utsusemi's sister.
5. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
(a) The West Wing.
(b) The Northeast Quarter.
(c) The Southeast Quarter.
(d) The South Wing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
2. What unavailable woman does Genji greatly desire at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Genji send to the Safflower Princess after his visit in Chapter 23?
4. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
5. What or who does Genji dream about in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Murasaki finally dies after four years of illness. What was her dying wish and how did Genji react to it?
2. Describe the "masterpieces" Genji works on in Chapter 32.
3. Why is Tamakazura reduced to tears at the sight of Kaoru?
4. How does Genji rationalize the storm in Chapter 13?
5. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
6. Explain Genji's death.
7. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
8. Why may it be problematic for Genji to take care of Tamakazura?
9. What does Genji discover through his relationship with Reikeiden?
10. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)