|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Genji is concerned about the illness of _______ , Tamakazura's grandmother.
(a) The Safflower Princess.
(b) Princess Omiya.
2. Who is Omi?
(a) A teacher.
(b) To no Chujo's sage.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A woman that To no Chujo finds very enticing.
3. What unavailable woman does Genji greatly desire at the beginning of the novel?
4. Who does Genji sleep with when visiting his former nurse?
(a) Rokujo Lady.
(b) Akashi Lady.
5. To whom does Yugiri send a love letter in Chapter 21?
(b) Cho Mihn.
(c) Koremitsu's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Genji send Yugiri in order to comfort his grandmother?
2. What happens to Aoi shortly after she gives birth to her son?
3. Who is caring for Genji at the beginning of Chapter 5 during his travel to mountains?
4. Which character dresses up in a disguise in Chapter 7?
5. Who is Lady Rokujo's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oigimi hurt Kaoru?
2. Why is it strange that Yugiri has tried to seduce the Second Princess?
3. Why may it be problematic for Genji to take care of Tamakazura?
4. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
5. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
6. What does Niou learn about Ukifune that leads him to be distraught? Explain.
7. How does Genji rationalize the storm in Chapter 13?
8. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
9. It is discovered that Yugiri has never laid eyes upon Murasaki, the woman who acts as his mother. Why does Genji wish to keep her hidden?
10. What does Genji discover through his relationship with Reikeiden?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)