|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
(a) The Northeast Quarter.
(b) The Southeast Quarter.
(c) The West Wing.
(d) The South Wing.
2. What does Genji tell the Safflower Princess when he goes to visit her after his exile?
(a) He is apologetic.
(b) Stories and tales.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That he is married.
3. Why does Genji's father marry Fujitsubo?
(a) She was very wealthy.
(b) Their marriage was previously arranged.
(c) She was in love with Genji's father.
(d) Because she looks like Genji's mother.
4. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
(a) She doesn't want to be on his list of conquests.
(b) She is in love with someone else.
(c) He is too old for her.
(d) She is busy grieving her father.
5. Which attendant stays faithful to the Safflower princess?
(c) Lady Akashi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji avoid doing at the start of the rule of the Suzaku emperor?
2. What does Genji send to the Safflower Princess after his visit in Chapter 23?
3. What do To no Chujo and Genji do as the tension in their relationship disappears?
4. Genji is concerned about the illness of _______ , Tamakazura's grandmother.
5. From what does Genji fall ill at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
2. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
3. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
4. Explain the initial situation between Genji and Tamakazura.
5. Why does Ukifune's mother refuse Kaoru's offer to marry her daughter?
6. Why does Genji need to keep his romances under wraps after abdication of the first emperor, his father?
7. Describe the "masterpieces" Genji works on in Chapter 32.
8. Describe the situation between Genji and Utsusemi after her husband falls ill.
9. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
10. What has become of the Safflower Princess since Genji's exile? Explain.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)