|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Genji is concerned about the illness of _______ , Tamakazura's grandmother.
(a) The Safflower Princess.
(b) Princess Omiya.
2. Genji is in love with a woman whom he cannot have during the beginning of the novel. Who is this woman?
3. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
(a) Death of a friend.
(b) A storm.
(c) An invasion.
4. Who is Akikonomu?
(a) The Lady of the Lemon Tree.
(b) The Lady of the Cherry Blossoms.
(c) The Lady of the Lake.
(d) The Lady of the Orange Blossoms.
5. With whom does Genji sit on the royal outing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Princess Asagao live?
2. How does Murasaki return the Empress Akikonomu's kind gesture in Chapter 24?
3. What striking feature has the Safflower Princess managed to keep over the years?
4. Which character dresses up in a disguise in Chapter 7?
5. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Genji begins spending more time with the Akashi lady. How does Murasaki feel about this?
2. Why does the Lieutenant change his mind about marrying Ukifune?
3. Describe the "masterpieces" Genji works on in Chapter 32.
4. What happens to Murasaki in Chapter 35?
5. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
6. What does Genji decide to tell To no Chujo about Tamakazura? Why?
7. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
8. What has become of the Safflower Princess since Genji's exile? Explain.
9. Describe the appearance of the Safflower Princess.
10. Explain the situation after the body of Ukifune was found.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)