|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Genji's mother at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She gives Genji up.
(b) She leaves Genji's father.
(c) She falls ill and dies.
(d) She becomes a nun.
2. What does To no Chujo notice about Kumoinokari when he watches her sleep?
(a) That she is a perfect match for Yugiri.
(b) How ugly she is.
(c) How much like him she is.
(d) How beautiful she is.
3. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
(a) Harp music.
(b) The koto.
4. What do To no Chujo and Genji do as the tension in their relationship disappears?
(b) Shake hands.
(c) Laugh and weep.
(d) Think back on their time together.
5. Where does Genji sit to relax with Yugiri on a hot summer day?
(a) Under the grape vines.
(b) The temple.
(c) His pavilion.
(d) The garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Empress Akikonomu send to Murasaki?
2. Who is Tayu?
3. Which attendant stays faithful to the Safflower princess?
4. Who is Omi?
5. What do priests attempt to do to Aoi during her pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Kaoru's meeting with the Emporer, what is the Go board used for?
2. What about Kaoru's manner makes the women want to joke with him?
3. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
4. Why is Kashiwagi jealous of the marriage between Genji and the Third Princess?
5. What really happened to Ukifune?
6. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
7. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
8. Genji comes into contact with his childhood friend Yugao. What happens to Yugao after she maintains contact with Genji? How does Genji deal with this event?
9. Why does Genji need to keep his romances under wraps after abdication of the first emperor, his father?
10. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)