|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kobai?
(a) Genji's son.
(b) To no Chujo's son.
(c) The minister of the right.
(d) A friend of Genji's.
2. Which of the following is not a trait of the Safflower Princess?
(a) Beautiful eyes.
(b) Red nose.
(c) Thin, misshapen body.
(d) Pretty hair.
3. Who is Akikonomu?
(a) The Lady of the Lemon Tree.
(b) The Lady of the Cherry Blossoms.
(c) The Lady of the Orange Blossoms.
(d) The Lady of the Lake.
4. What does Genji do while he is visiting the Safflower Princess?
(a) Stare at her intensly.
(b) Hold her close.
(c) Look at her through a blurred curtain.
(d) Look at her with loving eyes.
5. What hits Genji's palace in Rokujo?
(a) A storm.
(b) A plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Genji's father marry Fujitsubo?
2. What or who does Genji dream about in Chapter 13?
3. What does Genji think about Tamakazura's going to court?
4. From what does Genji fall ill at the end of Chapter 4?
5. What does Genji send to the Safflower Princess after his visit in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Murasaki in Chapter 35?
2. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
3. Describe the situation between Genji and Utsusemi after her husband falls ill.
4. Why does Kaoru pray to Buddha in Chapter 46? Explain.
5. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
6. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
7. Who does Genji see when he visits the sage in the mountain? What is his reaction?
8. Why is Tamakazura to be under Genji's care, rather than To no Chujo?
9. Genji comes into contact with his childhood friend Yugao. What happens to Yugao after she maintains contact with Genji? How does Genji deal with this event?
10. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)