|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the other women in the palace live?
(a) With Genji and Murasaki.
(b) In separate quarters.
(c) The Southern wing.
(d) The commons rooms.
2. Fujitsubo is ashamed of Genji's presence because:
(a) She is pregnant with his child.
(b) She is secretly in love with him.
(c) He is dressed very poorly.
(d) She is having impure thoughts.
3. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
(a) She doesn't want to be on his list of conquests.
(b) She is in love with someone else.
(c) She is busy grieving her father.
(d) He is too old for her.
4. What happens to Aoi shortly after she gives birth to her son?
(a) She leaves Genji.
(b) She becomes a nun.
(c) She dies.
(d) She becomes possessed.
5. What is going on back in Genji's homeland during his time away?
(a) The Suzaku emporer dies.
(b) It is in a dismal state.
(c) His homeland is flourishing.
(d) The weather is very good to farming.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose point of view is Chapter 15 written?
2. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
3. To whom does Yugiri send a love letter in Chapter 21?
4. Why is Genji forlorn in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Genji fail to support during his exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the Eighth Prince renounced the world?
2. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
3. What happens after Kaoru finds out that Ukifune is alive?
4. What happens to Murasaki in Chapter 35?
5. Why does the Lieutenant change his mind about marrying Ukifune?
6. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
7. What happens with Genji initially tries to seduce Princess Asagao?
8. Describe the "masterpieces" Genji works on in Chapter 32.
9. How does Genji rationalize the storm in Chapter 13?
10. How does Genji feel after the death of Kashiwagi?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)