|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tayu?
(a) Genji's cousin.
(b) Genji's sister.
(c) A distant relative.
(d) A daughter of Genji's former nurse.
2. How does Murasaki return the Empress Akikonomu's kind gesture in Chapter 24?
(a) An Invitation to tea.
(c) Sending an invitation to view her spring garden.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
3. What unavailable woman does Genji greatly desire at the beginning of the novel?
4. Genji is concerned about the illness of _______ , Tamakazura's grandmother.
(a) Princess Omiya.
(c) The Safflower Princess.
5. Where does the Rokujo lady feel the need to travel to during Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
2. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
3. What does Genji send to the Safflower Princess after his visit in Chapter 23?
4. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
5. Which character dresses up in a disguise in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Murasaki finally dies after four years of illness. What was her dying wish and how did Genji react to it?
2. Who is Utsusemi and how does Genji first come into contact with her?
3. Why does Genji wish to keep secrets involving Yugao's death?
4. Describe Genji's view on women.
5. During Kaoru's meeting with the Emporer, what is the Go board used for?
6. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
7. Why is Kashiwagi jealous of the marriage between Genji and the Third Princess?
8. Explain the initial situation between Genji and Tamakazura.
9. Who won the art contest held between Genji and To no Chujo? What did the court favor about the winner's style?
10. How does Genji react when Fujitsubo rejects him for the final time?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)