|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Genji's father do to protect him?
(a) He deems him a commoner.
(b) He gets him a body guard.
(c) He changes his name.
(d) He keeps him locked up.
2. What talent does Genji have?
3. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
4. Where does the Rokujo lady feel the need to travel to during Chapter 10?
5. What happens to Genji's mother at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She leaves Genji's father.
(b) She becomes a nun.
(c) She gives Genji up.
(d) She falls ill and dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Genji and To no Chujo decide to compete against each other?
2. Who is Tayu?
3. What does Yugiri happen to hear while walking through the garden?
4. With whom does Genji sit on the royal outing?
5. What hits Genji's palace in Rokujo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Genji see when he visits the sage in the mountain? What is his reaction?
2. How does Kaoru find that Niou is having a secret relationship with Ukifune?
3. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
4. Explain the event that takes place between Genji and Naishi.
5. Describe the situation after Nakanokimi receives a letter from Ukifune.
6. Who won the art contest held between Genji and To no Chujo? What did the court favor about the winner's style?
7. Why does Genji treat the Third Princess coldly after she gives birth to a son?
8. Why is Tamakazura to be under Genji's care, rather than To no Chujo?
9. Describe the meeting between Yugiri and Kumoinokari after their six-year separation.
10. Why may it be problematic for Genji to take care of Tamakazura?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)