|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which instrument does Genji play?
(a) The kalimba.
(b) The koto.
(c) The shamisen.
(d) The sitar.
2. In which wing of the palace do Genji and Murasaki live?
(a) The Northeast Quarter.
(b) The West Wing.
(c) The South Wing.
(d) The Southeast Quarter.
3. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
(a) Several days.
(d) Several hours.
4. What happens to Yugao in Chapter 4?
(a) She moves away.
(b) She dies.
(c) She becomes very ill.
(d) She marries Genji.
5. Who is angy about Genji's visits to Princess Asagao?
(a) Her father.
(b) To no Chujo.
(c) Genji's children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fujitsubo is ashamed of Genji's presence because:
2. Where is the Akashi lady's mansion located?
3. Who does Genji send over to the grounds of the Safflower Princess in Chapter 15?
4. What did Genji originally believe was the most desirable thing about the Rokujo Lady?
5. Where does Genji send Yugiri in order to comfort his grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Genji entertains the idea of moving to the Suma coast and also explain the factors that may be holding him back.
2. Why doesn't Genji want his son, Yugiri to advance in rank? What does Genji do?
3. Why is Tamakazura reduced to tears at the sight of Kaoru?
4. Explain the situation after the body of Ukifune was found.
5. What happens to Genji as he continues to grow old?
6. Why does Genji want Tamakazura to be seen in the light of fireflies? Explain.
7. What causes General Higekuro to look toward Tamakazura as a wife?
8. What does Genji discover through his relationship with Reikeiden?
9. It is discovered that Yugiri has never laid eyes upon Murasaki, the woman who acts as his mother. Why does Genji wish to keep her hidden?
10. What are Oigimi's reasons for not wanting to marry Kaoru?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)