|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Chapter 52, Kaoru has almost given up on the idea of _____.
2. Which room in given to the Lieutenant?
(a) The governor's room.
(b) The commons room.
(c) The west room.
(d) Ukifune's room.
3. Who is the daughter of Lady Ichijo?
(a) The Second Princess.
(b) The Third Princess.
4. Where does Nakanokimi go to visit Niou in Chapter 48?
(c) Hong Kong.
5. Who does Niou attempt to find after Nakanokimi receives her letter?
6. How does Genji prepare for his daughter's initiation?
(a) Goes to the court.
(b) Collects literature.
(c) Sends her to school.
(d) Has a mural constructed.
7. Niou sees that there is a strong resemblance between Ukifune and ______.
(c) His mother.
8. Which woman does Kaoru pass much of the night with in Chapter 49?
9. What type of competitions are held at Genji's banquet?
(a) Artistic and Musical.
(b) Competitions of the mind.
(c) Archery and Equestrian.
(d) Chess and poise.
10. What does Niou send to the women in mourning in Uji?
(a) Silks and furs.
(c) A love letter.
(d) A letter of condolence.
11. At what point does Genji realize that he wants to be with the Third Princess very badly?
(a) After she is inaccessable.
(b) During her pregnancy.
(c) During the time that he gives her lessons.
(d) After she remarries.
12. What is Ukifune doing when she realizes that Kaoru is coming for her?
(a) Praying in the temple.
(b) Watching fireflies.
(c) Picking flowers in the garden.
13. Who tries to woo Ukifune in Chapter 53?
(a) The bishop.
(b) A guard captain.
(c) A lieutenant.
(d) A general.
14. What does Niou learn about Ukifune?
(a) She is married.
(b) She is very ill.
(c) She has become a nun.
(d) She has died.
15. Why can't Kaoru marry Oigimi?
(a) Oigimi hates Kaoru.
(b) Kaoru is a priest.
(c) Nakanokimi must marry first.
(d) Her father will not permit it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Genji die?
2. What does Kaoru fear toward the end of the novel?
3. Whom did Chujounokimi immediately admire?
4. What style does To no Chujo paint in?
5. Who is the Third Princess the niece of?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)