|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ukifune leaning against when first found near the Uji river?
(a) An oak tree.
(b) A large rock.
(c) A tree root.
(d) A tall fern.
2. Where in Japan does the bulk of the story take place?
3. At what point does Genji realize that he wants to be with the Third Princess very badly?
(a) After she is inaccessable.
(b) After she remarries.
(c) During her pregnancy.
(d) During the time that he gives her lessons.
4. Ukifune travels to a secluded cottage, where is it located?
(a) On an island.
(c) The Suma coast.
5. What is the Suzako Emporer intent on doing that lends him the reason to send the Third Princess away?
(a) Secluding himself in Suma.
(c) Writing a great masterpiece.
(d) Taking holy orders.
6. Why does the Reizei Emperor abdicate the throne?
(a) He is unhappy as emporer.
(b) He falls in love with a commoner.
(c) He becomes ill.
(d) He wishes to live a life of seclusion.
7. Whom did Chujounokimi immediately admire?
(b) The Lieutenant.
(c) The Governor.
8. Who is named corwn prince after the Reizei Emporer's abdication?
(a) The Akashi lady's son.
(b) The grandson of the Akashi lady.
(c) Genji's son.
(d) The nephew of the Akashi lady.
9. Who saves Ukifune from the Uji river?
(a) A sage.
(b) A priest.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A bishop.
10. Which man dies of grief over the Third Princess?
(d) To no Chujo.
11. What is dumped on Higekuro's head after his wife hears news of his marriage?
12. To whom does the Suzaku Emporer send the Third Princess to in Chapter 34?
(a) To no Chujo.
(d) The Reizei emporer.
13. What happens to Tamakazura over the years?
(a) She becomes insane.
(b) She falls ill with grief.
(c) She grows very weary.
(d) She becomes Empress.
14. How is the Second Princess's honor ruined?
(a) She has become permiscuous.
(b) She married a commoner.
(c) She has a child out of wedlock.
(d) With rumors.
15. Where does the Second Princess hide to escape Yugiri's advances?
(a) In the commons room.
(b) Her mother's room.
(c) The botanical gardens.
(d) A closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nakanokimi's home?
2. How does Genji spend the final years of his life?
3. Who is the daughter of Lady Ichijo?
4. Who does Kaoru send into the nunnery to retrieve Ukifune?
5. Why does Genji want to visit the Akashi lady?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)