|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Niou attempt to find after Nakanokimi receives her letter?
2. Who does Niou send to Uji to ask about Ukifune's whereabouts?
(d) General Higekuro.
3. What is the wager between Kaoru and the Emporer?
(a) Marriage to the Third Princess.
(b) The hand of the Second Princess.
(c) A position as Minister.
(d) A seat in the Emporer's court.
4. What does Niou send to the women in mourning in Uji?
(b) A love letter.
(c) A letter of condolence.
(d) Silks and furs.
5. What ceremony is Kaoru preparing for in Chapter 47?
(a) The anniversary of the death of the Eighth Prince.
(b) His friend's marriage.
(c) His father's 60th birthday.
(d) His engagement party.
6. How old is Genji when he marries the Third Princess?
7. Who does Kaoru immediately fall in love with while in Uji?
8. What type of competitions are held at Genji's banquet?
(a) Archery and Equestrian.
(b) Artistic and Musical.
(c) Chess and poise.
(d) Competitions of the mind.
9. Where does the Second Princess join Lady Ichijo during an expedition?
(b) Omi Village.
(c) Ono Village.
10. What does Kaoru fear toward the end of the novel?
(a) That he will become ill.
(b) The he will have much bad luck in the near future.
(c) That he will die young.
(d) That he will live a life of loneliness.
11. How does Kaoru find that Ukifune is alive?
(a) From the Yokawa bishop.
(b) From Nakanokimi.
(c) From Chujounokimi.
(d) From Niou.
12. What scares Niou off when he visits the Uji palace?
(a) A tiger.
(c) A cross on the building.
13. Who saves Ukifune from the Uji river?
(a) A priest.
(b) A bishop.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A sage.
14. By Chapter 52, Kaoru has almost given up on the idea of _____.
15. What was Ukifune leaning against when first found near the Uji river?
(a) A large rock.
(b) A tall fern.
(c) An oak tree.
(d) A tree root.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Genji spend the final years of his life?
2. Where does Nakanokimi go to visit Niou in Chapter 48?
3. Who is the Third Princess the niece of?
4. What does the Emperor pull up when making a wager with Kaoru?
5. Niou sees that there is a strong resemblance between Ukifune and ______.
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)