|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the New Year, Nakanokimi receives a letter from ______.
2. What scares Niou off when he visits the Uji palace?
(a) A cross on the building.
(d) A tiger.
3. What is Ukifune doing when she realizes that Kaoru is coming for her?
(a) Picking flowers in the garden.
(b) Watching fireflies.
(d) Praying in the temple.
4. Whom does Niou marry?
5. What is dumped on Higekuro's head after his wife hears news of his marriage?
6. How does Genji die?
(a) Not specified.
(b) Old age.
(c) A dueling accident.
7. What happens to Tamakazura over the years?
(a) She becomes insane.
(b) She becomes Empress.
(c) She grows very weary.
(d) She falls ill with grief.
8. Why are Niou's visits to Nakanokimi infrequent?
(a) It is difficult to travel to Nakanokimi.
(b) He has another wife.
(c) Nakanokimi does not want to see Niou anymore.
(d) He does not love Nakanokimi anymore.
9. To whom does the Suzaku Emporer send the Third Princess to in Chapter 34?
(a) The Reizei emporer.
(d) To no Chujo.
10. In which season does Ukifune regain her health and strength?
11. Which instrument does the Akashi lady play?
(a) The sitar.
(b) The lute.
(c) The flute.
(d) The shamisen.
12. Who sees Yugiri leaving the Second Princess's bedroom?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) A palace guard.
(d) The healer.
13. What does Yugiri eventually convince the Second Princess to do?
(a) To join a convent.
(b) Run away with him to the Suma coast.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Leave her husband.
14. In whose temple does Kaoru pray while on his pilgrimage?
(a) The Eighth Prince.
(b) The Ninth Prince.
(c) The Reizei Emporer.
(d) Prince Higekuro.
15. Where does the Second Princess hide to escape Yugiri's advances?
(a) Her mother's room.
(b) A closet.
(c) The botanical gardens.
(d) In the commons room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ukifune thinking about as she sits alone at the end of the novel?
2. Who does Kaoru send into the nunnery to retrieve Ukifune?
3. Why can't Kaoru marry Oigimi?
4. What type of lessons does Genji give to the Third Princess?
5. Whom did Chujounokimi immediately admire?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)