|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ukifune leaning against when first found near the Uji river?
(a) A tall fern.
(b) An oak tree.
(c) A tree root.
(d) A large rock.
2. Where do Kaoru and Niou go on their pilgrimage?
3. What type of lessons does Genji give to the Third Princess?
(a) Poise and posture.
(c) Verbal skills.
4. Where in Japan does the bulk of the story take place?
5. At the beginning of the New Year, Nakanokimi receives a letter from ______.
6. Which man has reservations about attending Genji's banquet?
(a) To no Chujo.
(c) General Higekuro.
7. With Which woman does Yugiri attempt to have an affair?
(b) The Third Princess.
(d) The Second Princess.
8. How old is Genji when he marries the Third Princess?
9. What does Kaoru fear toward the end of the novel?
(a) That he will become ill.
(b) That he will die young.
(c) That he will live a life of loneliness.
(d) The he will have much bad luck in the near future.
10. Who does Genji trust to be with him in his preparation for his daughter's initiation?
(b) To no Chujo.
(d) A few women.
11. Which man matches Genji in skill and charm?
(d) To no Chujo.
12. Of whom does Kaoru become jealous?
13. What does Genji begin to realize in Chapter 37?
(a) That he feels younger than ever.
(b) That he is getting old.
(c) He has been very depressed.
(d) He loves Kaoru.
14. Whom does Niou marry?
15. How many years have passed at the time when Genji's death is discovered by the reader?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 24 years.
(d) 7 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Second Princess hide to escape Yugiri's advances?
2. In whose temple does Kaoru pray while on his pilgrimage?
3. Why are Niou's visits to Nakanokimi infrequent?
4. Who does Niou send to Uji to ask about Ukifune's whereabouts?
5. What scares Niou off when he visits the Uji palace?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)