|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Chujounokimi?
(a) Niou's new love interest.
(b) Kaoru's love interest.
(c) Ukifune's mother.
(d) Nakanokimi's mother.
2. Which character has an affair with the Third Princess?
(a) To no Chujo.
3. What is Genji's opinion of the Third Princess?
(a) He thinks that she will make a good wife.
(b) She is immature.
(c) She reminds him of Murasaki.
(d) She is very beautiful.
4. Who is extremely hurt by Yugiri's affair?
(c) The Second Princess.
5. At the beginning of the New Year, Nakanokimi receives a letter from ______.
6. Why can't Kaoru marry Oigimi?
(a) Oigimi hates Kaoru.
(b) Her father will not permit it.
(c) Kaoru is a priest.
(d) Nakanokimi must marry first.
7. What style does Genji paint in?
8. Why does the Reizei Emperor abdicate the throne?
(a) He wishes to live a life of seclusion.
(b) He becomes ill.
(c) He falls in love with a commoner.
(d) He is unhappy as emporer.
9. Where does the Second Princess join Lady Ichijo during an expedition?
(a) Ono Village.
(b) Omi Village.
10. Who does Kaoru immediately fall in love with while in Uji?
11. How does Ukifune realize that Kaoru is coming for her?
(a) Other nuns have informed her.
(b) She has a premonition.
(c) She sees him in the distance.
(d) She hears his voice.
12. Niou sees that there is a strong resemblance between Ukifune and ______.
(c) His mother.
13. At what point does Genji realize that he wants to be with the Third Princess very badly?
(a) After she is inaccessable.
(b) After she remarries.
(c) During the time that he gives her lessons.
(d) During her pregnancy.
14. Which instrument does the Akashi lady play?
(a) The sitar.
(b) The shamisen.
(c) The lute.
(d) The flute.
15. Why are Niou's visits to Nakanokimi infrequent?
(a) Nakanokimi does not want to see Niou anymore.
(b) It is difficult to travel to Nakanokimi.
(c) He does not love Nakanokimi anymore.
(d) He has another wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaoru fear toward the end of the novel?
2. What is Ukifune thinking about as she sits alone at the end of the novel?
3. What was Ukifune leaning against when first found near the Uji river?
4. Where do Kaoru and Niou go on their pilgrimage?
5. What type of skill does Ukifune possess?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)