|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whose point of view is Chapter 15 written?
(c) The Safflower Princess.
2. Who is Kobai?
(a) To no Chujo's son.
(b) The minister of the right.
(c) A friend of Genji's.
(d) Genji's son.
3. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
(c) Several days.
(d) Several hours.
4. To whom does Yugiri send a love letter in Chapter 21?
(b) Koremitsu's daughter.
(c) Cho Mihn.
5. What types of gifts does Murasaki send to Genji?
6. Who is Tayu?
(a) Genji's cousin.
(b) A distant relative.
(c) A daughter of Genji's former nurse.
(d) Genji's sister.
7. Which lady does Genji begin spending time with in Chapter 11?
(b) The Rokujo Lady.
(c) Lady Akashi.
8. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
(a) She is dating Genji.
(b) She is permiscuous.
(c) She is looking for a husband.
(d) She is very beautiful.
9. What does Murasaki compare Genji's behavior to since his visits to the Princess Asagao?
(a) Very happy.
(b) More in love than ever.
(d) Like a stranger.
10. Genji sleeps with this woman who is in her sixties.
11. What is going on back in Genji's homeland during his time away?
(a) The Suzaku emporer dies.
(b) His homeland is flourishing.
(c) The weather is very good to farming.
(d) It is in a dismal state.
12. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
(a) A sage.
(b) A monk.
(c) The Suzaku Emporer.
13. What does Genji think about Tamakazura's going to court?
(a) She may not be right for court.
(b) It may be too soon.
(c) She should have gone years ago.
(d) It is the perfect time.
14. Where do the other women in the palace live?
(a) The Southern wing.
(b) With Genji and Murasaki.
(c) The commons rooms.
(d) In separate quarters.
15. What is believed to be the cause of the situation in Genji's homeland since he has left home in Chapter 13?
(a) The alignment of the planets.
(b) Moon and star formations.
(c) The weather.
(d) Genji's exile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji's father do to protect him?
2. Which attendant stays faithful to the Safflower princess?
3. What does Genji send to the Safflower Princess after his visit in Chapter 23?
4. How does Murasaki return the Empress Akikonomu's kind gesture in Chapter 24?
5. What striking feature has the Safflower Princess managed to keep over the years?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)