|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Genji's father do to protect him?
(a) He keeps him locked up.
(b) He changes his name.
(c) He gets him a body guard.
(d) He deems him a commoner.
2. Which of the Safflower Princess's relatives begs her to come and stay?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her father.
3. Where do the other women in the palace live?
(a) The commons rooms.
(b) With Genji and Murasaki.
(c) In separate quarters.
(d) The Southern wing.
4. Who is Genji's go-between for he and the Safflower Princess?
(a) To no Chujo.
5. Who does Genji admire during his stay in the mountains?
(b) The Akashi lady.
6. Why is Genji forlorn in Chapter 6?
(a) Due to the death of his mother.
(b) He has lost a competition with To no Chujo.
(c) He has developed a crush on his cousin.
(d) Due to the death of Yugao.
7. What word would must accurately describe Genji?
8. What striking feature has the Safflower Princess managed to keep over the years?
(a) Her bright red nose.
(b) Her graceful figure.
(c) Her lovely voice.
(d) Her pretty hair.
9. What is believed to be the cause of the situation in Genji's homeland since he has left home in Chapter 13?
(a) Moon and star formations.
(b) Genji's exile.
(c) The weather.
(d) The alignment of the planets.
10. Which lady does Genji begin spending time with in Chapter 11?
(c) The Rokujo Lady.
(d) Lady Akashi.
11. Who is Tayu?
(a) Genji's cousin.
(b) A daughter of Genji's former nurse.
(c) A distant relative.
(d) Genji's sister.
12. Genji is in love with a woman whom he cannot have during the beginning of the novel. Who is this woman?
13. What talent does Genji have?
14. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
15. From what does Genji fall ill at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Food poisoning.
Short Answer Questions
1. After falling out of favor with the court where does Genji decide to go?
2. What does Genji notice about the Safflower Princess during a visit in Chapter 23?
3. How long does the debate last regarding Genji and To no Chujo's competition?
4. Late in Yugiri's walk around the Rokujo grounds he overhears ______.
5. From whose point of view is Chapter 15 written?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)