|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which instrument does Genji play?
(a) The kalimba.
(b) The koto.
(c) The sitar.
(d) The shamisen.
2. What does Genji do while he is visiting the Safflower Princess?
(a) Look at her through a blurred curtain.
(b) Hold her close.
(c) Look at her with loving eyes.
(d) Stare at her intensly.
3. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
4. What does Yugiri happen to hear while walking through the garden?
(a) Genji and Murasaki's pillow talk.
(b) Kumoinokari singing.
(c) His father playing the shamisen.
(d) Murasaki crying.
5. Genji sleeps with this woman who is in her sixties.
6. Late in Yugiri's walk around the Rokujo grounds he overhears ______.
(a) Genji's attempt to seduce Tamakazura.
(b) Genji's announcement that he is leaving Murasaki.
(c) Genji is weeping.
(d) Kumoinokari sleeping with another.
7. Who is Genji's go-between for he and the Safflower Princess?
(b) To no Chujo.
8. What are Fujitsubo's intentions after her husband's death?
(a) To begin a relationship with Genji.
(b) To become a nun.
(c) To commit suicide.
(d) To remarry.
9. How does the Akashi lady feel when she arrives at her new mansion?
(a) At home.
10. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
(a) The koto.
(d) Harp music.
11. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
(a) A storm.
(b) Death of a friend.
(c) An invasion.
12. What is believed to be the cause of the situation in Genji's homeland since he has left home in Chapter 13?
(a) The weather.
(b) Genji's exile.
(c) The alignment of the planets.
(d) Moon and star formations.
13. What happens to Yugao in Chapter 4?
(a) She moves away.
(b) She marries Genji.
(c) She dies.
(d) She becomes very ill.
14. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
(a) A monk.
(b) A sage.
(d) The Suzaku Emporer.
15. What festival does Genji attend at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) The Festival of Lights.
(b) The Safflowers.
(c) The Cherry Blossoms.
(d) The Orange Blossoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a trait of the Safflower Princess?
2. What does To no Chujo notice about Kumoinokari when he watches her sleep?
3. What does Genji avoid doing at the start of the rule of the Suzaku emperor?
4. What do To no Chujo and Genji do as the tension in their relationship disappears?
5. What is going on back in Genji's homeland during his time away?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)