|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yugiri happen to hear while walking through the garden?
(a) His father playing the shamisen.
(b) Genji and Murasaki's pillow talk.
(c) Murasaki crying.
(d) Kumoinokari singing.
2. Who is Kobai?
(a) Genji's son.
(b) To no Chujo's son.
(c) A friend of Genji's.
(d) The minister of the right.
3. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
(b) Harp music.
(c) The koto.
4. From what does Genji fall ill at the end of Chapter 4?
(c) Food poisoning.
5. With whom does Genji sit on the royal outing?
6. Late in Yugiri's walk around the Rokujo grounds he overhears ______.
(a) Genji is weeping.
(b) Kumoinokari sleeping with another.
(c) Genji's announcement that he is leaving Murasaki.
(d) Genji's attempt to seduce Tamakazura.
7. What does Genji notice about the Safflower Princess during a visit in Chapter 23?
(a) She is very pretty.
(b) She has become a wise woman.
(c) That she has been married.
(d) That she is cold.
8. What does Genji discover about casual relationships with women?
(a) That they are horrible.
(b) He greatly dislikes them.
(c) He views them as unecessary.
(d) That they can be easier than passionate relationships.
9. Who is Genji's go-between for he and the Safflower Princess?
(b) To no Chujo.
10. What unavailable woman does Genji greatly desire at the beginning of the novel?
11. Genji is in love with a woman whom he cannot have during the beginning of the novel. Who is this woman?
12. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
13. Where is the Akashi lady's mansion located?
14. Why do Genji and To no Chujo decide to compete against each other?
(a) To make money.
(b) To seduce a woman.
(c) In good fun.
(d) The gain attention.
15. Where does To no Chujo send Kumoinokari?
(a) To Omi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Omi?
2. How does the Akashi lady feel when she arrives at her new mansion?
3. What would hold Genji back from traveling away from home?
4. Why is Genji forlorn in Chapter 6?
5. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)