|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Aoi shortly after she gives birth to her son?
(a) She becomes possessed.
(b) She becomes a nun.
(c) She dies.
(d) She leaves Genji.
2. Which attendant stays faithful to the Safflower princess?
(b) Lady Akashi.
3. What festival does Genji attend at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) The Safflowers.
(b) The Festival of Lights.
(c) The Orange Blossoms.
(d) The Cherry Blossoms.
4. What do priests attempt to do to Aoi during her pregnancy?
(b) Last rights.
5. Which character dresses up in a disguise in Chapter 7?
(c) The Emporer.
(d) To no Chujo.
6. Genji sleeps with this woman who is in her sixties.
7. Who does Genji admire during his stay in the mountains?
(b) The Akashi lady.
8. What does Genji discover about casual relationships with women?
(a) That they are horrible.
(b) He greatly dislikes them.
(c) That they can be easier than passionate relationships.
(d) He views them as unecessary.
9. Who does Genji hurt during Chapter 9?
(a) Lady Akashi.
(d) Rokujo lady.
10. Why do Genji and To no Chujo decide to compete against each other?
(a) The gain attention.
(b) In good fun.
(c) To make money.
(d) To seduce a woman.
11. What unavailable woman does Genji greatly desire at the beginning of the novel?
12. Where does the Princess Asagao live?
13. What hits Genji's palace in Rokujo?
(b) A storm.
(d) A plague.
14. Who is Akikonomu?
(a) The Lady of the Cherry Blossoms.
(b) The Lady of the Lemon Tree.
(c) The Lady of the Orange Blossoms.
(d) The Lady of the Lake.
15. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
(a) She is busy grieving her father.
(b) He is too old for her.
(c) She doesn't want to be on his list of conquests.
(d) She is in love with someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attempts to arrange a meeting between Genji and Utsusemi?
2. Who is angy about Genji's visits to Princess Asagao?
3. To whom does Yugiri send a love letter in Chapter 21?
4. From whose point of view is Chapter 15 written?
5. What does To no Chujo notice about Kumoinokari when he watches her sleep?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)