|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yugiri happen to hear while walking through the garden?
(a) Murasaki crying.
(b) His father playing the shamisen.
(c) Genji and Murasaki's pillow talk.
(d) Kumoinokari singing.
2. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
(a) Death of a friend.
(b) A storm.
(d) An invasion.
3. What does To no Chujo notice about Kumoinokari when he watches her sleep?
(a) How much like him she is.
(b) How beautiful she is.
(c) That she is a perfect match for Yugiri.
(d) How ugly she is.
4. What are Fujitsubo's intentions after her husband's death?
(a) To commit suicide.
(b) To begin a relationship with Genji.
(c) To remarry.
(d) To become a nun.
5. What unavailable woman does Genji greatly desire at the beginning of the novel?
6. What news about Tamakazura arises once she is a grown woman?
(a) She is looking for a husband.
(b) She is very beautiful.
(c) She is dating Genji.
(d) She is permiscuous.
7. Which lady does Genji begin spending time with in Chapter 11?
(b) Lady Akashi.
(c) The Rokujo Lady.
8. Which instrument does Genji play?
(a) The kalimba.
(b) The koto.
(c) The shamisen.
(d) The sitar.
9. How does Murasaki return the Empress Akikonomu's kind gesture in Chapter 24?
(a) An Invitation to tea.
(b) Sending an invitation to view her spring garden.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
10. Who is Genji's former nurse?
11. Who is Akikonomu?
(a) The Lady of the Lemon Tree.
(b) The Lady of the Orange Blossoms.
(c) The Lady of the Cherry Blossoms.
(d) The Lady of the Lake.
12. Who does Genji sleep with when visiting his former nurse?
(b) Akashi Lady.
(c) Rokujo Lady.
13. Whose sister is Oborozukiyo?
(d) To no Chujo's.
14. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
(a) She is in love with someone else.
(b) He is too old for her.
(c) She doesn't want to be on his list of conquests.
(d) She is busy grieving her father.
15. What striking feature has the Safflower Princess managed to keep over the years?
(a) Her graceful figure.
(b) Her lovely voice.
(c) Her bright red nose.
(d) Her pretty hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji tell the Safflower Princess when he goes to visit her after his exile?
2. What happens to Yugao in Chapter 4?
3. Of what is the Suzaku Emperor fond?
4. Why does Genji's father marry Fujitsubo?
5. What does Genji discover about casual relationships with women?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)