|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does To no Chujo notice about Kumoinokari when he watches her sleep?
(a) How ugly she is.
(b) That she is a perfect match for Yugiri.
(c) How beautiful she is.
(d) How much like him she is.
2. Late in Yugiri's walk around the Rokujo grounds he overhears ______.
(a) Genji is weeping.
(b) Genji's attempt to seduce Tamakazura.
(c) Kumoinokari sleeping with another.
(d) Genji's announcement that he is leaving Murasaki.
3. Who is Genji's go-between for he and the Safflower Princess?
(a) To no Chujo.
4. Who is Genji's best friend?
(b) To no Chujo.
5. Whose sister is Oborozukiyo?
(a) To no Chujo's.
6. What word would must accurately describe Genji?
7. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
(a) She is in love with someone else.
(b) He is too old for her.
(c) She is busy grieving her father.
(d) She doesn't want to be on his list of conquests.
8. Which of the Safflower Princess's relatives begs her to come and stay?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her cousin.
9. What does Genji do while he is visiting the Safflower Princess?
(a) Hold her close.
(b) Look at her through a blurred curtain.
(c) Look at her with loving eyes.
(d) Stare at her intensly.
10. What festival does Genji attend at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) The Safflowers.
(b) The Orange Blossoms.
(c) The Cherry Blossoms.
(d) The Festival of Lights.
11. Who is Omi?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A woman that To no Chujo finds very enticing.
(c) To no Chujo's sage.
(d) A teacher.
12. Who is Kobai?
(a) A friend of Genji's.
(b) To no Chujo's son.
(c) Genji's son.
(d) The minister of the right.
13. How does Murasaki return the Empress Akikonomu's kind gesture in Chapter 24?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) An Invitation to tea.
(d) Sending an invitation to view her spring garden.
14. What does the Empress Akikonomu send to Murasaki?
(c) Autumn leaves and flowers.
(d) An invitation.
15. What does Yugiri happen to hear while walking through the garden?
(a) Genji and Murasaki's pillow talk.
(b) Kumoinokari singing.
(c) Murasaki crying.
(d) His father playing the shamisen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji notice about the Safflower Princess during a visit in Chapter 23?
2. Which instrument does Genji play?
3. What does Yugiri think about Tamakazura?
4. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
5. Who is caring for Genji at the beginning of Chapter 5 during his travel to mountains?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)