|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Genji originally believe was the most desirable thing about the Rokujo Lady?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her fascination with him.
(d) Her ability to push him away.
2. Who is Omi?
(a) A woman that To no Chujo finds very enticing.
(b) To no Chujo's sage.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A prostitute.
3. Who attempts to arrange a meeting between Genji and Utsusemi?
(a) Utsusemi's sister.
(b) Utsusemi's brother.
(c) Tu no Chujo.
(d) Utsusemi's father.
4. What are Fujitsubo's intentions after her husband's death?
(a) To begin a relationship with Genji.
(b) To commit suicide.
(c) To remarry.
(d) To become a nun.
5. What is believed to be the cause of the situation in Genji's homeland since he has left home in Chapter 13?
(a) The weather.
(b) The alignment of the planets.
(c) Moon and star formations.
(d) Genji's exile.
6. What does Genji notice about the Safflower Princess during a visit in Chapter 23?
(a) She is very pretty.
(b) That she has been married.
(c) That she is cold.
(d) She has become a wise woman.
7. Where does Genji send Yugiri after rumors spread of his rank being raised?
(b) The University.
(d) To the court.
8. Why do Genji and To no Chujo decide to compete against each other?
(a) The gain attention.
(b) To make money.
(c) In good fun.
(d) To seduce a woman.
9. What word would must accurately describe Genji?
10. What does Omiya tell Genji in Chapter 29?
(a) She feels that she may die.
(b) That she would like to meet Tamakazura.
(c) She asks Genji for a favor.
(d) That she wishes to go to court.
11. What does Yugiri think about Tamakazura?
(a) That she is an evil woman.
(b) He is secretly in love with her.
(c) That she is Genji's daughter.
(d) That she is the daughter of To no Chujo.
12. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
(a) A sage.
(b) The Suzaku Emporer.
(c) A monk.
13. Why does Princess Asagao turn Genji down?
(a) She is in love with someone else.
(b) She doesn't want to be on his list of conquests.
(c) She is busy grieving her father.
(d) He is too old for her.
14. What does Genji tell the Safflower Princess when he goes to visit her after his exile?
(a) Stories and tales.
(b) He is apologetic.
(c) That he is married.
(d) That he loves her.
15. Which of the following is not a trait of the Safflower Princess?
(a) Pretty hair.
(b) Beautiful eyes.
(c) Red nose.
(d) Thin, misshapen body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Genji sleeps with this woman who is in her sixties.
2. What is the Safflower Princesss's reaction to Genji upon his return from exile?
3. Who is Genji's go-between for he and the Safflower Princess?
4. Who does Genji sleep with when visiting his former nurse?
5. Which of the Safflower Princess's relatives begs her to come and stay?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)