|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the other women in the palace live?
(a) The commons rooms.
(b) With Genji and Murasaki.
(c) In separate quarters.
(d) The Southern wing.
2. Where does the Princess Asagao live?
3. What do To no Chujo and Genji do as the tension in their relationship disappears?
(a) Think back on their time together.
(c) Shake hands.
(d) Laugh and weep.
4. Why is Genji forlorn in Chapter 6?
(a) He has lost a competition with To no Chujo.
(b) He has developed a crush on his cousin.
(c) Due to the death of Yugao.
(d) Due to the death of his mother.
5. Who is Kobai?
(a) A friend of Genji's.
(b) To no Chujo's son.
(c) The minister of the right.
(d) Genji's son.
6. Who does Genji fail to support during his exile?
(b) The Safflower Princess.
(c) Lady Rokujo.
(d) The Akashi Lady.
7. What does Genji tell the Safflower Princess when he goes to visit her after his exile?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he is married.
(c) He is apologetic.
(d) Stories and tales.
8. What does To no Chujo find frustrating about Kumoinokari?
(a) That she is in love with Yugiri.
(b) That she is not the talk of the town.
(c) That she and him do not have a good relationship.
(d) That she is not beautiful.
9. What word would must accurately describe Genji?
10. What is going on back in Genji's homeland during his time away?
(a) The weather is very good to farming.
(b) His homeland is flourishing.
(c) The Suzaku emporer dies.
(d) It is in a dismal state.
11. With whom does Genji decide to travel home after living in exile?
(a) A monk.
(b) The Suzaku Emporer.
(d) A sage.
12. What happens to Yugao in Chapter 4?
(a) She marries Genji.
(b) She moves away.
(c) She becomes very ill.
(d) She dies.
13. What does Genji avoid doing at the start of the rule of the Suzaku emperor?
(a) Seeing women he has slept with.
(b) Spending time with his children.
(d) Contacting the new emporer.
14. Whose sister is Oborozukiyo?
(a) To no Chujo's.
15. Who does Genji hurt during Chapter 9?
(b) Lady Akashi.
(c) Rokujo lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Genji's go-between for he and the Safflower Princess?
2. Which of the Safflower Princess's relatives begs her to come and stay?
3. With whom does Genji sit on the royal outing?
4. Which instrument does Genji play?
5. What types of gifts does Murasaki send to Genji?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)