|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Murasaki return the Empress Akikonomu's kind gesture in Chapter 24?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) Sending an invitation to view her spring garden.
(d) An Invitation to tea.
2. Who is Akikonomu?
(a) The Lady of the Lake.
(b) The Lady of the Cherry Blossoms.
(c) The Lady of the Orange Blossoms.
(d) The Lady of the Lemon Tree.
3. How does the Akashi lady feel when she arrives at her new mansion?
(d) At home.
4. Where does Genji send Yugiri after rumors spread of his rank being raised?
(a) The University.
(b) To the court.
5. What does Genji notice about the Safflower Princess during a visit in Chapter 23?
(a) That she is cold.
(b) She is very pretty.
(c) That she has been married.
(d) She has become a wise woman.
6. What does Yugiri happen to hear while walking through the garden?
(a) Murasaki crying.
(b) Kumoinokari singing.
(c) His father playing the shamisen.
(d) Genji and Murasaki's pillow talk.
7. Which of the following is not a trait of the Safflower Princess?
(a) Thin, misshapen body.
(b) Beautiful eyes.
(c) Pretty hair.
(d) Red nose.
8. What or who does Genji dream about in Chapter 13?
(c) His father.
(d) His childhood.
9. What does Genji tell the Safflower Princess when he goes to visit her after his exile?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) He is apologetic.
(c) Stories and tales.
(d) That he is married.
10. Who does Genji fail to support during his exile?
(a) Lady Rokujo.
(b) The Safflower Princess.
(d) The Akashi Lady.
11. What does Genji think about Tamakazura's going to court?
(a) She may not be right for court.
(b) It is the perfect time.
(c) It may be too soon.
(d) She should have gone years ago.
12. What happens in Chapter 13 that causes Genji to reevaluate his past?
(a) A storm.
(b) An invasion.
(d) Death of a friend.
13. What do priests attempt to do to Aoi during her pregnancy?
(b) Last rights.
14. Who is Genji's former nurse?
15. What does Genji avoid doing at the start of the rule of the Suzaku emperor?
(a) Spending time with his children.
(c) Contacting the new emporer.
(d) Seeing women he has slept with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genji's father do to protect him?
2. What is believed to be the cause of the situation in Genji's homeland since he has left home in Chapter 13?
3. Who does Genji send over to the grounds of the Safflower Princess in Chapter 15?
4. Who is Genji's best friend?
5. Where do the ministers go for their royal outing?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)