|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
2. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
3. What was the name of the work Beatrix published only in America?
4. What is a common theme in Beatrix's work?
5. What was the name of the village local to Beatrix's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
2. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
3. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
4. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
5. How was Beatrix treated in America?
6. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
7. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
8. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
9. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
10. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Beatrix's venture into politics. Why did she become interested in politics? What aspects of politics did she become interested in? How did these interests relate to her work as a writer and illustrator?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)