|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
2. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
3. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
4. What animal inspired Beatrix to write "The Roly-Poly Pudding"?
5. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
2. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
3. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
4. What does Lane say about the settings of Beatrix's stories?
5. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
6. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
7. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
8. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
9. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
10. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflicts which Beatrix faced during her life. Beatrix was often in conflict with her parents. What was often the cause of her conflicts with her parents? How did she overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)