|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Beatrix describe the interactions of her Troutbeck sheep?
2. What does Lane say amuses adults about Beatrix's works?
3. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
4. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
5. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
2. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
3. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
4. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
5. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
6. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
7. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
8. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
9. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
10. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's childhood. How did Beatrix spend her childhood? Did she have a happy childhood? What were her interests and hobbies as a child? What was her personality like as a child?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Beatrix's venture into politics. Why did she become interested in politics? What aspects of politics did she become interested in? How did these interests relate to her work as a writer and illustrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)