|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix focus her life on after marrying?
2. After buying her farm, whom did Beatrix often depict in her books?
3. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
4. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
5. Which individuals impressed Beatrix in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
2. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
3. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
4. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
5. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
6. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
7. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
8. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
9. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
10. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's life after she married. How did her life change after she married William Heelis? Why did she stop writing? What did she become passionate about? How did her personality change?
Essay Topic 2
"The Tale of Beatrix Potter" is an example of a biography. What are the elements of this genre? Why is "The Tale of Beatrix Potter" an example of this genre? What are some other examples of this genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's love of nature. How did her childhood visits to Scotland influence her? How was Beatrix's love of nature reflected in her work? How did Beatrix's love of nature lead her to give up writing and pursue other endeavors?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)