|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
2. In her later years, what did Beatrix believe would depress her?
3. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
4. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
5. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
2. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
3. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
4. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
5. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
6. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
7. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
8. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
9. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
10. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beatrix's first serious romantic relationship was with Norman Warne. How did they meet? What sort of relationship did they have at first? How did they grow closer? How did Beatrix's parents react to their engagement? How did Beatrix handle Norman's death?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the climax of the biography. What takes place during the climax of the book? Why is this a climactic time in Beatrix's life? How does this time period impact her life?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)