|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
2. How old was Beatrix's father when he died?
3. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
4. Why didn't Beatrix publish one of her books in Britain?
5. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
2. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
3. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
4. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
5. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
6. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
7. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
8. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
9. How was Beatrix treated in America?
10. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts which Beatrix faced during her life. Beatrix was often in conflict with her parents. What was often the cause of her conflicts with her parents? How did she overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Beatrix's life. How did the Victorian and Edwardian values of the time shape and influence Beatrix's life? What did she think of Bolton Gardens? How did Scotland and the Lake District impact her?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)