|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the second farm Beatrix bought in 1909?
2. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
3. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
4. In her later years, what did Beatrix believe would depress her?
5. What does the author say of Beatrix's art works?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
2. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
3. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
4. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
5. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
6. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
7. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
8. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
9. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
10. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's childhood. How did Beatrix spend her childhood? Did she have a happy childhood? What were her interests and hobbies as a child? What was her personality like as a child?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter." How did Lane decide to end the book? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not? Are there any surprises or unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the members of Beatrix's family. What were the defining characteristics of Beatrix's father, mother, and brother? What does the reader learn of Beatrix's family history? Did Beatrix get along well with her family? Why or why not?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)