|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Beatrix described at the age of forty?
2. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
3. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
4. What was the name of the tenant farmer of Beatrix's farm?
5. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
2. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
3. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
4. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
5. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
6. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
7. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
8. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
9. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
10. How was Beatrix treated in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Publishing a written work was not easy for Beatrix to do. Why was it so difficult for Beatrix to find a publisher to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"? How did she go about publishing the book herself? Who finally expressed an interest in her work? What changes did Beatrix have to make to have her work published? How did the collaborative aspect of publishing bring her and her fiancé Norman closer together? Did Beatrix enjoy the publishing aspect of writing?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflicts which Beatrix faced during her life. Beatrix was often in conflict with her parents. What was often the cause of her conflicts with her parents? How did she overcome them?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)