|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
2. How big was Trouthbeck Park?
3. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
4. What happened on Beatrix's farm just before World War I ended?
5. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
2. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
3. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
4. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
5. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
6. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
7. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
8. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
9. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
10. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflicts which Beatrix faced during her life. Beatrix was often in conflict with her parents. What was often the cause of her conflicts with her parents? How did she overcome them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)