|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
2. Who took care of Beatrix's property during World War I?
3. In Chapter 5, what is said to have become a problem for Beatrix as she got more famous?
4. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
5. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
2. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
3. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
4. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
5. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
6. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
7. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
8. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
9. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
10. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's love of nature. How did her childhood visits to Scotland influence her? How was Beatrix's love of nature reflected in her work? How did Beatrix's love of nature lead her to give up writing and pursue other endeavors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Beatrix's life. How did the Victorian and Edwardian values of the time shape and influence Beatrix's life? What did she think of Bolton Gardens? How did Scotland and the Lake District impact her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)