|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
2. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
3. Where did Beatrix find her mother a new home after the War?
4. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
5. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
2. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
3. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
4. How was Beatrix treated in America?
5. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
6. What became a problem for Beatrix due to her success and increasing fame?
7. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
8. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
9. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
10. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's life after she married. How did her life change after she married William Heelis? Why did she stop writing? What did she become passionate about? How did her personality change?
Essay Topic 2
Publishing a written work was not easy for Beatrix to do. Why was it so difficult for Beatrix to find a publisher to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"? How did she go about publishing the book herself? Who finally expressed an interest in her work? What changes did Beatrix have to make to have her work published? How did the collaborative aspect of publishing bring her and her fiancé Norman closer together? Did Beatrix enjoy the publishing aspect of writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)