|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Beatrix feel about her demanding lifestyle after she married?
2. Even though she owned her own home, how much of Beatrix's time was she expected to spend with her parents?
3. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
4. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
5. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
2. What does Lane say about the settings of Beatrix's stories?
3. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
4. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
5. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
6. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
7. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
8. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
9. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
10. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts which Beatrix faced during her life. Beatrix was often in conflict with her parents. What was often the cause of her conflicts with her parents? How did she overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrix's first serious romantic relationship was with Norman Warne. How did they meet? What sort of relationship did they have at first? How did they grow closer? How did Beatrix's parents react to their engagement? How did Beatrix handle Norman's death?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)