|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
2. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
3. In Chapter 7, what did many members of the press think of Beatrix?
4. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
5. According to the author, Beatrix's art was founded in __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
2. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
3. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
4. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
5. What does Lane say about the settings of Beatrix's stories?
6. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
7. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
8. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
9. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
10. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the members of Beatrix's family. What were the defining characteristics of Beatrix's father, mother, and brother? What does the reader learn of Beatrix's family history? Did Beatrix get along well with her family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's marriage to Mr William Heelis. How did Potter meet Heelis? Why did Beatrix's parents not allow the engagement at first? Where did Beatrix and William settle? Was Beatrix happy in her marriage? How did her marriage to William change her and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)