|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, for what animal did Beatrix develop an interest?
2. What health issue did Beatrix face in 1939?
3. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
4. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
5. In Chapter 7, what types of women are said to have sought Beatrix out?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
2. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
3. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
4. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
5. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
6. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
7. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
8. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
9. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
10. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beatrix yearned for a sense of independence from her parents. Why were her parents so strict, even when Beatrix was a woman of an advanced age? How did Beatrix gain a sense of independence? How did she finally leave her parents house?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Beatrix's life. How did the Victorian and Edwardian values of the time shape and influence Beatrix's life? What did she think of Bolton Gardens? How did Scotland and the Lake District impact her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)