|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's best work after her 'golden decade'?
2. What inspired the locals to think of Beatrix as an eccentric?
3. According to the author, Beatrix's water colors were perfect for ____________.
4. How did the books Beatrix published after her marriage compare to her others?
5. Dolls from which country overloaded the marketplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Beatrix treated in America?
2. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
3. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
4. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
5. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
6. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
7. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
8. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
9. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
10. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Publishing a written work was not easy for Beatrix to do. Why was it so difficult for Beatrix to find a publisher to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"? How did she go about publishing the book herself? Who finally expressed an interest in her work? What changes did Beatrix have to make to have her work published? How did the collaborative aspect of publishing bring her and her fiancé Norman closer together? Did Beatrix enjoy the publishing aspect of writing?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)