|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
2. How many children's books did Beatrice write in the eight years after she purchased her farm?
3. Whom did Beatrix become engaged to in Chapter 5?
4. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
5. Over a span of how many years did Beatrix's best writing take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
2. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
3. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
4. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
5. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
6. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
7. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
8. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
9. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
10. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Beatrix's life. How did the Victorian and Edwardian values of the time shape and influence Beatrix's life? What did she think of Bolton Gardens? How did Scotland and the Lake District impact her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter." How did Lane decide to end the book? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not? Are there any surprises or unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the members of Beatrix's family. What were the defining characteristics of Beatrix's father, mother, and brother? What does the reader learn of Beatrix's family history? Did Beatrix get along well with her family? Why or why not?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)