|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
2. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
3. What was the name of the farm Beatrix purchased in 1905?
4. How old was Beatrix when she died?
5. How did Beatrix set about protecting her chosen area of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
2. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
3. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
4. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
5. How did Beatrix feel about being a celebrity?
6. In what way was Beatrix's purchase of Hill Top Farm symbolic?
7. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
8. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
9. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
10. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Publishing a written work was not easy for Beatrix to do. Why was it so difficult for Beatrix to find a publisher to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"? How did she go about publishing the book herself? Who finally expressed an interest in her work? What changes did Beatrix have to make to have her work published? How did the collaborative aspect of publishing bring her and her fiancé Norman closer together? Did Beatrix enjoy the publishing aspect of writing?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the members of Beatrix's family. What were the defining characteristics of Beatrix's father, mother, and brother? What does the reader learn of Beatrix's family history? Did Beatrix get along well with her family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter." How did Lane decide to end the book? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not? Are there any surprises or unanswered questions?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)