|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
2. Who visited Beatrix in 1927?
3. What animal was central to the financing of Beatrix's farm?
4. What enabled Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
5. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories usually lack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
2. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
3. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
4. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
5. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
6. Why did Beatrix publish "The Fairy Caravan"? Why didn't she release it in Britain?
7. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
8. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
9. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
10. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's love of nature. How did her childhood visits to Scotland influence her? How was Beatrix's love of nature reflected in her work? How did Beatrix's love of nature lead her to give up writing and pursue other endeavors?
Essay Topic 3
Publishing a written work was not easy for Beatrix to do. Why was it so difficult for Beatrix to find a publisher to publish "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"? How did she go about publishing the book herself? Who finally expressed an interest in her work? What changes did Beatrix have to make to have her work published? How did the collaborative aspect of publishing bring her and her fiancé Norman closer together? Did Beatrix enjoy the publishing aspect of writing?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)