|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
2. What did Beatrix focus on producing in 1910?
3. Whom did Beatrix become engaged to in Chapter 5?
4. How did Americans treat Beatrix?
5. How long did Beatrix's tenant farmer work on the farm after she bought it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Beatrix treated in America?
2. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
3. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
4. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
5. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
6. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
7. What does Lane suggest allowed Beatrix to add a deeper level of reality to her characters?
8. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
9. What does Lane say about the settings of Beatrix's stories?
10. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's marriage to Mr William Heelis. How did Potter meet Heelis? Why did Beatrix's parents not allow the engagement at first? Where did Beatrix and William settle? Was Beatrix happy in her marriage? How did her marriage to William change her and her life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)