|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
2. How did Beatrix find children's literature was treated in America?
3. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
4. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
5. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Beatrix throughout her life. What struggles did Beatrix face in regards to her social life, to her career as a writer and illustrator, to her desire for independence, and to her love life? How did she overcome these struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's marriage to Mr William Heelis. How did Potter meet Heelis? Why did Beatrix's parents not allow the engagement at first? Where did Beatrix and William settle? Was Beatrix happy in her marriage? How did her marriage to William change her and her life?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)