|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Beatrix write "Johnny Town-Mouse"?
2. What is characteristic of many of the locations in Beatrix's books?
3. What does Lane say is a fine art for which Beatrix had a talent?
4. How old was Beatrix when she died?
5. What does Lane say Beatrix was able to illustrate with her animal characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
2. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
3. What does Lane say about the settings of Beatrix's stories?
4. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
5. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
6. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
7. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
8. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
9. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
10. How was Beatrix treated in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Beatrix's love of animals. What kinds of animals was she particularly fond of?
How did her love of animals influence her work and her life in general? Did her love of animals inspire her? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the climax of the biography. What takes place during the climax of the book? Why is this a climactic time in Beatrix's life? How does this time period impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)