|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal did Beatrix note as being graceful and intelligent?
2. Why did Beatrix hate change?
3. What happened after the decade of Beatrix's best writing?
4. What breed of sheep did Beatrix keep at Troutbeck Park?
5. What 'vulgarity' does Lane note Beatrix's works lacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event does Lane consider as marking the end of Beatrix's creative period?
2. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
3. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's greatest achievement after her 'golden decade' of writing?
4. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
5. How was Beatrix treated in America?
6. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
7. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
8. What were Beatrix's initial plans for Hill Top Farm and its tenant farmer?
9. What happened in Beatrix's life just before World War I ended?
10. How did Beatrix prepare for her operation in 1939?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Beatrix's life. How did the Victorian and Edwardian values of the time shape and influence Beatrix's life? What did she think of Bolton Gardens? How did Scotland and the Lake District impact her?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Beatrix's childhood. How did Beatrix spend her childhood? Did she have a happy childhood? What were her interests and hobbies as a child? What was her personality like as a child?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)