|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of comicality does Lane say is expressed on each page of Beatrix's books?
2. What language did Beatrix work to translate her books into?
3. What changed about Beatrix when she went for a visit to America?
4. What was Beatrix keen to adopt after marrying?
5. What does Lane believe was Beatrix's best work after her 'golden decade'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Beatrix's "The Fairy Caravan" about?
2. According to Lane, what put an end to Beatrix's best writing years?
3. What interested Beatrix at Troutbeck Park?
4. What side projects did Beatrix pass her time with when she was not at her farm?
5. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
6. What did Beatrix find difficult about farm life?
7. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
8. What does Lane say about the settings of Beatrix's stories?
9. How was Beatrix treated in America?
10. What does Lane note Beatrix's stories lacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the illustrations and photographs used. Why might these particular visual aids have been chosen? What do they tell the reader about Potter? Does a story develop based on the pictures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Beatrix's life after she married. How did her life change after she married William Heelis? Why did she stop writing? What did she become passionate about? How did her personality change?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the climax of the biography. What takes place during the climax of the book? Why is this a climactic time in Beatrix's life? How does this time period impact her life?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)