|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did other books choose to illustrate animal characters?
2. Lane describes the seam running underneath the main narrative of Beatrix's work as__________.
3. Why did Beatrix publish her later stories?
4. How many books did Beatrix publish after her marriage?
5. What did Beatrix do to her farmhouse one year after buying the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the artwork in Beatrix's books different from other children's books?
2. What does Lane say was the core of Beatrix's genius?
3. How did Beatrix feel about old age?
4. How did Beatrix's parents react to her engagement to Mr. Heelis? How did her brother defend her?
5. What inspired Beatrix's story, "Roly-Poly Pudding"?
6. What does Lane say caused "Sister Anne" to fail?
7. How was Beatrix's time at Hill Top Farm reflected in the books she published?
8. Where did Beatrix settle her mother after her father's death?
9. What does Lane say of the subtleties in Beatrix's stories?
10. What softened Beatrix's reticence for interacting with the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Beatrix Potter's canon of work. What are some common themes and motifs of the stories? Who are some of the more popular characters? Where did Beatrix gain inspiration from for the characters and settings of the books? Why were some of the stories more successful than others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lane's writing style? What is the writing style of the biography "The Tale of Beatrix Potter"? Is the writing style of this book similar to other biographies? Why might a clear and concise writing style be important for this type of work?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrix's first serious romantic relationship was with Norman Warne. How did they meet? What sort of relationship did they have at first? How did they grow closer? How did Beatrix's parents react to their engagement? How did Beatrix handle Norman's death?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)